Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Mario Williams

Mario appears to be the only one consistently turning in solid performances this year while Reggie and Vince have sort of regressed from year 1 to year 2.

Mario appears to be the only one consistently turning in solid performances this year while Reggie and Vince have sort of regressed from year 1 to year 2.

Well QB is a difficult position to transition from a college shotgun offense to an NFL QB.

And decoy really isnt a position at all.

Are you kidding? D'brickishaw has been critisized all season long for his poor play.

D'Brick has given up something like 22 sacks since he has been in the league.

Remember guys, Mario is a full year younger than Hawk and D'Brick (and two years younger than Young). Heck he is still 22 years old, younger than a lot of DE prospects in this upcoming draft.

D'Brick has given up something like 22 sacks since he has been in the league.

Remember guys, Mario is a full year younger than Hawk and D'Brick (and two years younger than Young). Heck he is still 22 years old, younger than a lot of DE prospects in this upcoming draft.

I always bring up that point to my friends and they just blow it off. He was a true Junior and younger than mostly everyone coming out that year.

For those that have been asking about where Mario's help is, remember Okoye is a kid. You had to expect him to get worn down by mid-season. Next year he will come back stronger, tougher and more durable.

TJ is showing flashes of why he was a first round pick, a huge improvement from previous seasons.

Weaver, well he is rubbish when it comes to getting pressure, no arguments there.

I think we are building a really good unit with good depth, one piece is missing though and that is the complementary end.

For those that have been asking about where Mario's help is, remember Okoye is a kid. You had to expect him to get worn down by mid-season. Next year he will come back stronger, tougher and more durable.

TJ is showing flashes of why he was a first round pick, a huge improvement from previous seasons.

Weaver, well he is rubbish when it comes to getting pressure, no arguments there.

I think we are building a really good unit with good depth, one piece is missing though and that is the complementary end.

sadly mario and Okoye have 8.5 and 5 sacks together..(maddox and Kalu with 3 totaled between them) and that is it for the d-line... Ryans has our other 2

Are you kidding? D'brickishaw has been critisized all season long for his poor play.

He is better than Salaam more than Mario is better than Weaver. Its about the biggest improvement for the team.

Mario was the right pick! He's just going to continue to get better and better. He's here for the long haul, every game, every D play!

Nice game today Mario!

:d:

He is better than Salaam more than Mario is better than Weaver. Its about the biggest improvement for the team.

first off-thats even a push.... and its a terrible reason to draft a player and pay him alot of money- BPA remember?

I don't know what has happened to a certain Player that mario was compared to coming out of college, but mario is having a better season statwise so far..I think Peppers will get it going again(he has proven himself), I just hope mario can continue to grow and become a consistant force

I find that argument highly questionable. Our team has 19 sacks. Mario has 8.5 of those, take away Mario and you nearly half our entire team's sack total. Salaam has hardly been good as our LT, but Ferguson hasn't been spectacular in comparison, IMO.

By the way..... Weaver has yet to record a sack this year. He had 1 last year. Plug Ferguson in for Salaam and give up a couple less sacks on the year so far. Plug in Weaver for Mario and cut our already meager pass rush production in half.

By the way..... Weaver has yet to record a sack this year. He had 1 last year. Plug Ferguson in for Salaam and give up a couple less sacks on the year so far. Plug in Weaver for Mario and cut our already meager pass rush production in half.

Stats aside, there is an overall game to consider.

Mario's reputation as a run stuffer is highly questionable, and teams frequently block him - successfully - with tight ends.

Plug in Ferguson for Salaam and maybe Pitts plays better and the Texans might actually be able to run consistently, even in games that they pass well. This is supposed to be a running based attack, and they've had too many weak running games.

first off-thats even a push.... and its a terrible reason to draft a player and pay him alot of money- BPA remember?

Wow, thanks for the reminder, but I have some questiuons:

1) Was the BPA Mario?

1.a) Is the BPA debatable or a known, proven fact that it was Mario?

1.b) Best player where - at the combine or on the field?

2) Wasn't Demeco better than Mario last year...and this year?

2.a) So wouldn't Demeco be the BPA?

2.b) If Demeco was better, couldn't someone else have been?

3) I think it was terrible reason to draft a player #1 because he is a workout warrior, although he fooled me at the time too.

4) Is drafting the BPA an ironclad rule anyway?

Mario's reputation as a run stuffer is highly questionable, and teams frequently block him - successfully - with tight ends.

Plug in Ferguson for Salaam and maybe Pitts plays better and the Texans might actually be able to run consistently, even in games that they pass well. This is supposed to be a running based attack, and they've had too many weak running games.

I thought Mario does well against the run ... except when he takes himself out of a play .

DBrick is just Ok at this point .

SI said Addai was the best out of that class .

I thought Mario does well against the run ... except when he takes himself out of a play .

DBrick is just Ok at this point .

SI said Addai was the best out of that class .

I don't think the first point is true on a very consistent basis, but that's just IMO.

Second point: Many people assume Mario will just keep getting better; D'Brick will also - he's playing a more difficult position. At some point the Texans have to groom some young o-lineman* because what they have on the downside of their careers and not very good. He'd have been a great start.

Thirdly, either we didn't in fact take the BPA or SI hates the Texans too. :)

*At least it appears they need to fix the o-line; they haven't done it yet so maybe it really has been fine all these years.

well yeah mario has played better than d'brick from what ive seen and others have also said.. although everything is debatable, most would say mario is the BPA over d'brick (of the expected top 4 players) right now

you said we shouldve taken D'brick because weaver is better than salaam (is that a fact or debatable?? you know if you want me to get all philosophical aswell) and (imo) because you hadnt seen d'brick play much and hadn't heard about his struggles so far

I don't think the first point is true on a very consistent basis, but that's just IMO.

Second point: Many people assume Mario will just keep getting better; D'Brick will also - he's playing a more difficult position. At some point the Texans have to groom some young o-lineman* because what they have on the downside of their careers and not very good. He'd have been a great start.

Thirdly, either we didn't in fact take the BPA or SI hates the Texans too. :)

*At least it appears they need to fix the o-line; they haven't done it yet so maybe it really has been fine all these years.

I think we do need young prospects for the OL . I think we need some maulers because we play the Titans and Jaguars two times each year .

again, is that debatable or a known, proven fact? :)

It is debatable, however many football people think left tackle is a difficult position to play. Go figure.

I think a lot of defensive ends thinks otherwise.

What's your opinion?

I personally am very excited about Williams. He really is looking better and better as the year has gone on. I believe that he has turned on that proverbial light switch.

Now if we can get an OLB that can rush the passer.......

Boy this thread really went to crap.

Can anybody honestly say at this point, that D'Brick is a better player than Mario?

People can give their opinion. I think that's what the board is for, but let's stick with the facts.

Mario is a Texan. D'Brickashaw isn't a Texan.

Now that the facts have been stated, should the thread be locked?

It is debatable, however many football people think left tackle is a difficult position to play. Go figure.

What's your opinion?

i agree lt is a difficult position bit i actually think DE's have it tougher- they get gameplanned for, nevermind the fact that just trying to get by somebody in 3 seconds is alot harder to do than to stop somebody for 3 seconds.. you can help out an ot with a te and rb if needs be etc

plus an ot knows his assignment before most snaps- a de has to read and react more

Now if we can get an OLB that can rush the passer.......

in fairness i know we dont have great olb's but i think that shows our lack of blitzing.. and when we do blitz it seems to be demeco that gets the call (he is a fine blitzer though)

Lets not forget that Mario doesn't play just one position. Since he's been here he's played every position on the DL and has even been stood up a few times like an OLB.

Wow, thanks for the reminder, but I have some questiuons:

1) Was the BPA Mario?

1.a) Is the BPA debatable or a known, proven fact that it was Mario?

1.b) Best player where - at the combine or on the field?

2) Wasn't Demeco better than Mario last year...and this year?

2.a) So wouldn't Demeco be the BPA?

2.b) If Demeco was better, couldn't someone else have been?

3) I think it was terrible reason to draft a player #1 because he is a workout warrior, although he fooled me at the time too.

4) Is drafting the BPA an ironclad rule anyway?

Is it debatable that your questions are retrospective, or is it a proven fact? ;)

From my own viewing I think Mario plays well against the run when he recognizes the play and doesn't run himself out of it. He can definitely get better, and judging from what I've seen so far he will continue to get better. As far as blocking him with a tight end goes.... he has the fourth highest sack total in the AFC, maybe they should think of some different ways to go about blocking him.

So with Ferguson, maybe he gives us a little more in the ground game. We give up half of our pass rush. Overall game considered, I just don't see a net gain from Ferguson over Mario.

Mario has more sacks than any other second (or first) year player in the NFL. Therefore, he was the best player available at the position of need that the Texans were trying to fill (pass rusher).

I've said before I thought Mario was the right pick. He wasn't the "sexy" pic.. then again if we have people asking for pic's of his sack...

Mike

wow, I shouldn't have gone there.

Actually I'm more critical of the team for selecting him number one. Even if he's above average, he ends up being a waste of resources like most number one picks. I don't have anything against Mario.

That being said, I still don't think he has had as big an impact on opposing offenses as many times as many of you think. I actually counted it against him when Winslow was blocking him one on one on runs to his side. That just freed up the tackle to block the linebacker or double the DT. I didn't think that was dominant and it took away from the level of his game last week.

Have you seen my posts on the o-line? I certainly criticize players ther than Mario.

I remeber that play against Cleveland. At the same time, I remeber the first drive the Browns had when they doubled Mario on third and short and he broke through the double team and pulled Lewis back short of the marker. What that leads me to belive is that Mario just isn't that quick in diagnosing plays, especially runs. This, like almost all of his problems, has to do with experiance and learing curve, not talent. Now more then ever, I think we have made the right choice. Of course, its easy to say that after a 7 tackle, 2.5 sack performance, but its looking pretty smart so far.

What's your opinion?

Well, umm, tackle and defensive end are quite inextricably linked. More then any other position comparison, tackle vs end is an individual battle for almost the entire game. (Corners have safties, pass rush, etc.) Most positions have complicating factors, but apart from the David Carrs or Peyton Mannings of the world at Qb, the guy across from you dictates how hard your day is going to be. Since Mario has basically been the pass rush this year (and a pretty strong candidate for our best player, defensive or otherwise), while D'Brick has been abused on a number of ocassions, I think that agument has a pretty decisive edge in #90's favour.
In regards to what is more important, a great tackle or great defensive end, I would say it depends on your team and division. We have Peyton Manning and a history of two-minute drill nightmares working against us. I would say for us, Mario at his potential best is a proposition that is hard to pass up for anyone else in the 06 draft.

Mario and Ron both had great games today. I hope a lot of people give both of them credit, because they have been playing good since we came off our bye week. Ron has shown that he has heart and continues to prove the majority of us wrong, including myself. In no way am I saying he's the answer, but he has played very hard the past two years when it starts to get cold. :texflag:

Now I can feel fine going into a season with Dayne as the started, IF we get someone with speed and explosiveness. Dayne is dependable enough, but we need a recieving threat and a guy who can hit a home run. Oh, and a playcaller who feeds a back when he is running well...

Good game today but this is reminding me of his college career. Big numbers in a few games and disappearing and nowhere in sight for a majority of games. There is the rub for me. I want to see todays intensity every game. But today he looked good. I'll give him 1.5 and one gimmee :)

Is it just me, or does Dayne get tripped up awefully easy for a heavy RB? I never see his legs break an arm tackle. Is he leaning forward too much?

Seems like the main reason he never gets any really big runs (at least for his speed anyway) is because it just takes one cornerback's (or whoever) arm to hit one of his ankles and he's goin' down. Granted, he ALWAYS falls forward, but where's those powerful strides? Bad balance? NO balance?

Anyway, he's doing better than I thought he would overall.

Good game today but this is reminding me of his college career. Big numbers in a few games and disappearing and nowhere in sight for a majority of games. There is the rub for me. I want to see todays intensity every game. But today he looked good. I'll give him 1.5 and one gimmee :)

The NFL isn't the same as golf. You are actually playing against an entire team each week. Each team has different tendencies, game plans, philosophies, and players. It's impossible for a player to produce consistant numbers. Look at guys like Dwight Freeney: he gets 3 sacks and 2 forced fumbles one game, and the next game goes without a tackle... his intensity hasn't changed but the team he's playing has.

The NFL isn't the same as golf. You are actually playing against an entire team each week. Each team has different tendencies, game plans, philosophies, and players. It's impossible for a player to produce consistant numbers. Look at guys like Dwight Freeney: he gets 3 sacks and 2 forced fumbles one game, and the next game goes without a tackle... his intensity hasn't changed but the team he's playing has.

I'm not saying he has to put up those numbers. I'm talking about intensity and moves, etc. I've seen him come out of his shell a couple of games this year and I've seen him be non-existent some games. That is all I want. That same intensity. But I like what I'm seeing lately.

All pass rushers get freebies from time to time over the course of their careers or even a single season. Ever see that sack that Farve actually "gave" Strahan several years ago that let Stahan set an NFL record ?
Mario has played very well in 2 of the last 3 games. I dunno maybe its just playing against VY or Bush gets his competitive juices flowing, maybe just a coincidence they were in his best games of the season ? But lets see if this is a pattern that holds over the last 4 games of the season.
But I'm real pleased from what we are seeing in Mario right now !

I know, thus the smile.

I'll give him 1.5 and one gimmee :)
All pass rushers get freebies from time to time over the course of their careers or even a single season. Ever see that sack that Farve actually "gave" Strahan several years ago that let Stahan set an NFL record ?
Mario has played very well in 2 of the last 3 games. I dunno maybe its just playing against VY or Bush gets his competitive juices flowing, maybe just a coincidence they were in his best games of the season ? But lets see if this is a pattern that holds over the last 4 games of the season.
But I'm real pleased from what we are seeing in Mario right now !

Well the thing is that you would not really be plugging in Dbrick for Salaam. Technically, you would be plugging him in for Spencer, and instead of a 3rd rounder getting his leg broken, you are potentially looking at a 1st overall pick out for 2 seasons, and to add insult to injury 8.5 less sacks this season.:cool:

They made the right picks IMO, our team just has the worst luck ever, when it comes to injury.

Now back to the thread, this is Mario's 3rd straight good game. It looks like the light really has turned on, and I don't really know why there isn't more excitement about it. This is what we have all been waiting for.

One point that I havent seen on here about the "gimmie" sack is that while Mario was not blocked he didn't bite on the play fake and stayed at home which did not allow VY to run open down field. I thought it was a much better play than just a free sack. Mario is growing up and that is one of many plays where it is showing.

Jared Allen is the ONLY Defensive End in the AFC that has more sacks than Mario.

Pro Bowl is not out of the question this year.

I was originally big in the camp of drafting D'Brickashaw Ferguson (and every other big LT prospect since our inception) and considering the horrible horrible state our pass protection has been, I don't back down from that.

Mario Williams is awesome either way.

Well the thing is that you would not really be plugging in Dbrick for Salaam. Technically, you would be plugging him in for Spencer, and instead of a 3rd rounder getting his leg broken, you are potentially looking at a 1st overall pick out for 2 seasons, and to add insult to injury 8.5 less sacks this season.:cool:

They made the right picks IMO, our team just has the worst luck ever, when it comes to injury.

Now back to the thread, this is Mario's 3rd straight good game. It looks like the light really has turned on, and I don't really know why there isn't more excitement about it. This is what we have all been waiting for.

One point that I havent seen on here about the "gimmie" sack is that while Mario was not blocked he didn't bite on the play fake and stayed at home which did not allow VY to run open down field. I thought it was a much better play than just a free sack. Mario is growing up and that is one of many plays where it is showing.

Good call. I t was a naked boot, and Mario stayed at home to make the play. And Vince didnt want any part of #90

Jared Allen is the ONLY Defensive End in the AFC that has more sacks than Mario.

Pro Bowl is not out of the question this year.

QFT

He is also tied for 5th among AFC DEs with 40 tackles and has two FF and a TD. He is definitely still in the mix. Everybody needs to get to voting.

Is it just me, or does Dayne get tripped up awefully easy for a heavy RB? I never see his legs break an arm tackle. Is he leaning forward too much?

Seems like the main reason he never gets any really big runs (at least for his speed anyway) is because it just takes one cornerback's (or whoever) arm to hit one of his ankles and he's goin' down. Granted, he ALWAYS falls forward, but where's those powerful strides? Bad balance? NO balance?

Anyway, he's doing better than I thought he would overall.

I was thinking this same thing while watching the game.

Back