Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2024 Draft Talk

Last year it was the MLB (Perryman) that came off the field. Al-Shaair replaced Perryman, Cooper would replace Cashman
Haven't looked in depth, but both Harris and Cashman platooned at WILL. Both also had significant snaps at MIKE. Who was SAM?

From the snap counts, it appears when Perryman came out he may have been replaced by Harris or Cashman.

It appears Al-Shaar is Ryans guy. Are you suggesting we went got him and gave him a 3 year contract only to have him ride the bench in the 42 defense?

Don't know how Ryans is going to play it, but I don't see Al-Shaar having a minor role in Ryans defense.

I'm hoping for more 5-2-4 defense
Rotating Derek Barnett and Payton Wilson on the line. I wanted Horton for that but I doubt he plays any.

Yep all of those mid level throws will be harder to make with two 4.4 guys playing LB. Can play faster on the underneath stuff and swarm to the ball against the run. Pass rushers on 1st level, three fast LB's and Stingley/Odukah. That just leaves S to fix. This is why I hope they trade up for a swiss army knife on the backend like DeJohn. He would make this defense elite. A guy that's lesser but I like is Green. Guys a real good slot that can play CB or I think he can play S. Anyways adding DeJohn and P. Wilson would be game changers for this defense. Then comeback and get your quick DT hoping Hall Jr. falls to 3-86. If he doesn't fall then give me Mehki Wingo in rd 4-123. This defense would be very good.
I think DeJean Cooper is gone and although I am a fan, I still like Khyree Jackson in round 3 who is bigger stronger and can play corner and safety. I think he could also play the nickel if necessary.

What was paid to Howard is a sunk cost. You can't make decisions based on how much $$$ he makes. You base decisions upon what the team requires. And if Howard is a no go, the team requires linemen that have ability and are competent.

CJ Stroud is THE reason the Texans can be title contenders. Sure, they have some good d-linemen, good WRs. But this team goes nowhere without Stroud. So you have to be extra cautious and leave no stone unturned when it comes to protecting the organizations most valuable asset. Count all the resources you want at WR, LB, DB. But never make the mistake of going cheap on the o-line when you have a franchise QB.
If they thought that, you think they would restructure his deal giving him even more guaranteed money? If every oline player has to be 1st rd picks and all pro then you don't have a franchise qb. The fact he played like he did with all the injuries to the oline tells me he can manipulate that line. You can't show me an a team that has played in the superbowl in the last 5 years with as many 1st rd picks and money allocated to the oline as the Texans. It's not going cheap because they have arguably the highest paid oline in the nfl. That same line has 3 1st rd picks and a 2nd rd pick.

I think DeJean Cooper is gone and although I am a fan, I still like Khyree Jackson in round 3 who is bigger stronger and can play corner and safety. I think he could also play the nickel if necessary.
Khyree had some character concerns with his supsension and all so I figured if they were interested they would have had interviews with him to clear that all up but I haven't heard anything.

I'm hoping for more 5-2-4 defense
Rotating Derek Barnett and Payton Wilson on the line. I wanted Horton for that but I doubt he plays any.
A variation of the 42, you have the Nickleback line up not on the LOS, but up close and a bit inside the slot receiver. From this position he has three options to confuse the QB. He an cover the SR man to man, he can drop deep into zone or he can blitz the qb.

Don't know how Ryans would play it, but I see Wilson as the Nickleback in the 42, and sliding into SAM when in 43.

Wilson can't play on the line as an edge guy. He will get washed down
Yep, that's not how you should use Wilson. IMHO

Use him in coverage some. Use him as a spy against LJ.

Blitz him off of the edge some. You can play him in the slot some.

Use him as a swiss army knife guy.

Interesting remarks from Caserio.
Paraphrasing, he suggested there probably won't be any rookies claiming starting positions from this draft.
Whether he thinks that is because of their lack of first round picks or a strong current roster, my guess is as good as yours.
Personally, it's probably a bit of both.
If you think about it, there are arguably only 3 positions we need a rookie to come in and start - CB, LG and off-ball LB.
Of these, I am not confident a rookie CB can come in and force Okuda from his spot.
LG, a rookie would be hard pressed to oust Kenyon Green (if healthy).
LB, a rookie could conceivably claim a starting spot, so there is a good chance this could be our first pick.
RT, would likely be depth as Howard if healthy, is going to hold that spot down.
IDL is a possible spot for a rookie starter, but would likely also be depth with Settle, and Autry and that dude with the unpronounceable last name starting with F.
What think ye?

Last edited:
What think ye?
What you said was basically right. To'o² is the presumptive starter at SAM, today. "If we had to play a game today" Heck would be the starting RT. And if you were to play a game, there are some depth concerns at RB and LB. Are you telling me that Mills is coming back? Have you spoken with the coaching staff that won't play him?

There aren't many, if any, teams that are ready to roll before the draft. Maybe the Niners or Ravens. Maybe. It was a weird thing to say and probably taken out of context.

What you said was basically right. To'o² is the presumptive starter at SAM, today. "If we had to play a game today" Heck would be the starting RT. And if you were to play a game, there are some depth concerns at RB and LB. Are you telling me that Mills is coming back? Have you spoken with the coaching staff that won't play him?

There aren't many, if any, teams that are ready to roll before the draft. Maybe the Niners or Ravens. Maybe. It was a weird thing to say and probably taken out of context.
He could well take that next step and the coaches may see more than we do but I would understand perfectly if they took a LB with the first - there isn't much depth behind him.
Loosing Cashman and Perryman definitely leaves a void there - and we only brought in Al-Shaahir.
I also would like a RB from the draft - even though we have Mixon and a questionable Pierce as our 1 & 2.
I think Texans are confident re Howard.

Paraphrasing, he suggested there probably won't be any rookies claiming starting positions from this draft.
Whether he thinks that is because of their lack of first round picks or a strong current roster, my guess is as good as yours.
If you think about it, there are arguably only 3 positions we need a rookie to come in and start - CB, LG and off-ball LB.
Of these, I am not confident a rookie CB can come in and force Okuda from his spot.
LB, a rookie could conceivably claim a starting spot, so there is a good chance this could be our first pick.
RT, would likely be depth as Howard if healthy, is going to hold that spot down.
IDL is a possible spot for a rookie starter, but would likely also be depth with Settle, and Autry and that dude with the unpronounceable last name starting with F.
What think ye?
I agree with Nick C. about a rookie not being a presumptive starter on draft day. At the weakest positions there are multiple options already on the team. There are at least three LG options, two CBs who will be more physically talented than any rookie we draft and 2 too with ex Ravens LB.

I also didn't think he was being literal as for April 18 so the health of Howard continues to be of non-issue for the Texans. If were literal, Heck is one of those dudes that the Texans like more than the fans.

What he did say is that some of the people who are on the roster now won't be when the season starts, and people not on the roster will be. He was speaking generalities, not writing a pink slip for your "favorite" Texans that sucks and should be off the roster, nor stating the Roster right now is going to the last team standing Feb 2025

If they thought that, you think they would restructure his deal giving him even more guaranteed money? If every oline player has to be 1st rd picks and all pro then you don't have a franchise qb. The fact he played like he did with all the injuries to the oline tells me he can manipulate that line. You can't show me an a team that has played in the superbowl in the last 5 years with as many 1st rd picks and money allocated to the oline as the Texans. It's not going cheap because they have arguably the highest paid oline in the nfl. That same line has 3 1st rd picks and a 2nd rd pick.
I have not seen anyone saying Howard must be all pro simply above average which fans expected when richly over paid in the extension.

If they thought that, you think they would restructure his deal giving him even more guaranteed money?
Yes. Howard was the last player they had left that could create more cap space. Have to cut guys from here.

Howard is rehabbing a very serious injury. No one knows for certain what the results will be. Even if Howard is readt to rill week 1, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have a good swing OT ready to go. Also, there are multiple OTs in this draft that could kick down to OG, where the Texans do not have a definitive starter at LG. Taking an OT (on a rookie contract) in this draft is a smart play.

None of that stuff about contracts and draft choices matter if your franchise QB is knocked out of the game. Stroud was pressured on 22% of his passes last season. "Only" one concussion. That can't happen again. The pass blocking has to improve, via health and depth.

I agree with Nick C. about a rookie not being a presumptive starter on draft day. At the weakest positions there are multiple options already on the team. There are at least three LG options, two CBs who will be more physically talented than any rookie we draft and 2 too with ex Ravens LB.

I also didn't think he was being literal as for April 18 so the health of Howard continues to be of non-issue for the Texans. If were literal, Heck is one of those dudes that the Texans like more than the fans.

What he did say is that some of the people who are on the roster now won't be when the season starts, and people not on the roster will be. He was speaking generalities, not writing a pink slip for your "favorite" Texans that sucks and should be off the roster.
Re your last paragraph, yeah we all know there are going to be surprise exits and a lot of players will be cut as we trim down to 53.
Nice to have Demeco in the building now picking who he wants.

Khyree had some character concerns with his supsension and all so I figured if they were interested they would have had interviews with him to clear that all up but I haven't heard anything.
What were these character concerns? I can find nothing . All info indicates to me Saban suspended him one game to get his attention due to playing soft or lackadaisical against lesser opponents. He was playing behind Terrion Arnold and Kool-Aid thinking he had little chance to beat them out. He should have stepped up to show what he had specifically vs Texas IIRC. He transferred to Oregon and was really good.

If Nick concerned, he would call Saban as he has before for insight. We know Caserio recently said no concerns about players behavior before "entering NRG" due to Texans (culture).

Yes. Howard was the last player they had left that could create more cap space. Have to cut guys from here.

Howard is rehabbing a very serious injury. No one knows for certain what the results will be. Even if Howard is readt to rill week 1, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have a good swing OT ready to go. Also, there are multiple OTs in this draft that could kick down to OG, where the Texans do not have a definitive starter at LG. Taking an OT (on a rookie contract) in this draft is a smart play.

None of that stuff about contracts and draft choices matter if your franchise QB is knocked out of the game. Stroud was pressured on 22% of his passes last season. "Only" one concussion. That can't happen again. The pass blocking has to improve, via health and depth.
He was not the last guy, they could've went to Tunsil. This is the nfl and he's a rookie so there are times when he held the ball trying to get the big play. I'm willing to bet guys like Mahomes,Allen, Burrough face the same pressure. Again, they wouldn't have restructured, guarantee even more money, to replace him this year or even next.

This is interesting:

This focus is on transgender but also supports ESPN.

Yep all of those mid level throws will be harder to make with two 4.4 guys playing LB. Can play faster on the underneath stuff and swarm to the ball against the run. Pass rushers on 1st level, three fast LB's and Stingley/Odukah. That just leaves S to fix. This is why I hope they trade up for a swiss army knife on the backend like DeJohn. He would make this defense elite. A guy that's lesser but I like is Green. Guys a real good slot that can play CB or I think he can play S. Anyways adding DeJohn and P. Wilson would be game changers for this defense. Then comeback and get your quick DT hoping Hall Jr. falls to 3-86. If he doesn't fall then give me Mehki Wingo in rd 4-123. This defense would be very good.
I agree with most of what you said except that I think trading up far enough to get DeJohn will gut most of your draft capital. If I was deciding, I would focus on Nubin to fill the swiss army knife spot, and you are going to have to draft Hall in the 2nd (probably at 42), because after his pro-day workout "Ran a 4.76 40 at 299 lbs" he will be long gone by the 3rd.

Last year it was the MLB (Perryman) that came off the field. Al-Shaair replaced Perryman, Cooper would replace Cashman
Mike, SAM, Will none of that matters. Perryman came off the field because he was the biggest liability in coverage.

Al-Shaiir got paid over Cashman because of three reasons:

1) He’s better against the run.
2) He’s been more healthy throughout his career
3) He is better than Cashman at pre-snap diagnosis (not getting fooled by play action fakes and overcommitting).

Overall he’s just a better scheme fit for what DeMeco wants to accomplish. I do not see ANY LB taking him or Harris off the field this season. If they draft one its to be LB3 or further down.

What think ye?
Pretty spot on. Ryans likes to have a rotation on his DL, so although not starting, a rookie could be part of the rotation. And I agree Payton or Cooper would be the most likely to win a starting role at LB.

Al-Shaair had the best season of his career in 2022 at SF under Ryans, I believe playing WILL. Tennessee moved him to MIKE, and he had a good year but not the outstanding year he had under Ryans. So I'm unsure how Ryans is going to use Harris and Al-Shaair. But there is a window for a rookie as the 3rd LB, although To'o To'o is the presumptive starter.

I believe the IOL situation will be fine, if the personnel coming in is healthy and ready to compete.

Green / Green / Patterson / Scruggs / Mason / Broeker

I like this group and look forward to seeing them in camp.

I’m 100% in the no warm and fuzzy zone regarding the OT’s.

Tunsil / Howard ??? / Heck / Sharp / Zierer

Tunsil goes down…..CJ is screwed!!!

I’m going to say it again…..If it were me, (2) OT’s would be one of the top priorities in this draft.

He was not the last guy, they could've went to Tunsil. This is the nfl and he's a rookie so there are times when he held the ball trying to get the big play. I'm willing to bet guys like Mahomes,Allen, Burrough face the same pressure. Again, they wouldn't have restructured, guarantee even more money, to replace him this year or even next.
Who said anything about replace? No one knows if Howard will be healthy this year. No one knows if Howard's play will be satisfactory this year or in the future. The contract changes nothing. Even with pushing $$$ into the future, the Texans could release Howard in 2025 and save some $$$ against the cap. That's not their plan, clearly. But injuries can change plans.

In one post you claim Stroud doesn't need elite protection and in the next say he holds the ball too long. Why you refuse to acknowledge Howard's injury or the woeful depth chart is puzzling. Suffice to say I think you're very much mistaken in believing the Texans aren't going to address OT in the draft or perhaps a draft trade for a vet.

Overall he’s just a better scheme fit for what DeMeco wants to accomplish. I do not see ANY LB taking him or Harris off the field this season. If they draft one its to be LB3 or further down.
I'm pretty sure the Texans will draft a LB at some point. They only have 6 LBs currently on the roster. Hewitt played only 3 defensive snaps last year. But 366 snaps on special teams. Like Hewitt, Del'Shawn Phillips is pretty much a special teams guy. Ditto Jake Hansen. So LB depth is very thin. When is it addressed? The Texans have been in contact with players rated from the 2nd to the 7th.

Mike, SAM, Will none of that matters. Perryman came off the field because he was the biggest liability in coverage.

3) He is better than Cashman at pre-snap diagnosis (not getting fooled by play action fakes and overcommitting).

I think Payton Wilson can handle MLB if Ryans wants Al-Shaair at WLB.

I believe the IOL situation will be fine, if the personnel coming in is healthy and ready to compete.

I’m going to say it again…..If it were me, (2) OT’s would be one of the top priorities in this draft.
Just think of all the game experience Mills will get to increase trade value next offseason.

Ryans loves LBs.
2.42 Cooper or Wilson
2.59 Payton Wilson or Edgerrin
3.86 best corner
4.123 best DT
4.1.27 best OT
6 a best RB many choices
6 b best safety
THEN trade ups or depth
If Cooper and Wilson are both gone then Cedric Gray is another LB I would be happy taking with one of the 2nd rounders.

If Cooper and Wilson are both gone then Cedric Gray is another LB I would be happy taking with one of the 2nd rounders.
Usually you see CBs projected as the Nickleback, but I've begun seeing some Safeties, usually the SS, projected to the position. And now Linebackers. I've seen Gray profiled as an NFL ready Nicklebacker. He's considered one of the best, if not the best, Linebacker in pass coverage, in this class. At 6'2"/235 lbs, brings good size to the Nickleback position. Not as quick as Wilson, though.

I checked him out about mid-season but he seemed to miss too many tackles and more of a weak side linebacker. I could see him in round four or maybe five but that's just me.

Usually you see CBs projected as the Nickleback, but I've begun seeing some Safeties, usually the SS, projected to the position. And now Linebackers. I've seen Gray profiled as an NFL ready Nicklebacker. He's considered one of the best, if not the best, Linebacker in pass coverage, in this class. At 6'2"/235 lbs, brings good size to the Nickleback position. Not as quick as Wilson, though.
Interesting, has he improved on his tackling?

Interesting, has he improved on his tackling?
Certainly has been inconsistent. In 2021 had 16.9% missed tackles. Improved that to 10.2% in 2022. Regressed in 2023 with 14.6%. Perhaps his tackling is why he's projected as a 3rd round prospect. I haven't confirmed, but did read that even with the missed tackles, he led the ACC in tackles in 2022 and 2023.

Who said anything about replace? No one knows if Howard will be healthy this year. No one knows if Howard's play will be satisfactory this year or in the future. The contract changes nothing. Even with pushing $$$ into the future, the Texans could release Howard in 2025 and save some $$$ against the cap. That's not their plan, clearly. But injuries can change plans.

In one post you claim Stroud doesn't need elite protection and in the next say he holds the ball too long. Why you refuse to acknowledge Howard's injury or the woeful depth chart is puzzling. Suffice to say I think you're very much mistaken in believing the Texans aren't going to address OT in the draft or perhaps a draft trade for a vet.
You don't draft a player in the 2nd rd as depth. I've stated they should and probably will address the oline, just not before the 4th rd. Early in the season, he was holding the ball looking for the deep in routes and the big play, but later he started taking the easy money. He has shown that he can negotiate the oline. Thats what top shelf qb's do. I'm not saying he has to manage trash, I just think they can continue to build out the team vs adding resources to a position where the most resources reside right now. They have 2 wr's in their last year. They have 3 cbs on 1 year deals. They don't have 1 online not under contract for at least 2 years and that includes 3 1sr rd picks and a 2nd rd pick.

Like he did vs Pittsburgh

You don't draft a player in the 2nd rd as depth. I've stated they should and probably will address the oline, just not before the 4th rd. Early in the season, he was holding the ball looking for the deep in routes and the big play, but later he started taking the easy money. He has shown that he can negotiate the oline. Thats what top shelf qb's do. I'm not saying he has to manage trash, I just think they can continue to build out the team vs adding resources to a position where the most resources reside right now. They have 2 wr's in their last year. They have 3 cbs on 1 year deals. They don't have 1 online not under contract for at least 2 years and that includes 3 1sr rd picks and a 2nd rd pick.
If we accept Nick's point of view, we will be drafting depth in round two this year.

Everyone is talking about Wilson and Cooper, but I think Junior Colson is a real gem too. Old school run the defense Mike LB and can cover well too.

Strangely haven't heard about them meeting with him though.

Everyone is talking about Wilson and Cooper, but I think Junior Colson is a real gem too. Old school run the defense Mike LB and can cover well too.

Strangely haven't heard about them meeting with him though.

Not a lot of info about meeting anyone from Michigan. Makes me wonder if Nick got all his visits out of the way when they played at NRG…

Howard is rehabbing a very serious injury. No one knows for certain what the results will be. Even if Howard is readt to rill week 1, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have a good swing OT ready to go. Also, there are multiple OTs in this draft that could kick down to OG, where the Texans do not have a definitive starter at LG. Taking an OT (on a

H
rookie contract) in this draft is a smart play.

Agreed,
He shouldn't play the NYJ game

The way I see the Texans at the moment, and based on Caserio’s statements, the team has most of their 2024 starters on the roster. Almost every mock I do, I see most of the picks as rotational players. There could be a couple that outperform their veteran counterpart, but I see Caserio as setting the table for the future.

I see RT as the biggest question mark going into this draft and off-season. Howard is in no way guaranteed to start, much less shine if he does. The backups are scary at best…..the kind of players you want to spell the RT1 for a few plays, not a few games.

The way I see the Texans at the moment, and based on Caserio’s statements, the team has most of their 2024 starters on the roster. Almost every mock I do, I see most of the picks as rotational players. There could be a couple that outperform their veteran counterpart, but I see Caserio as setting the table for the future.

I see RT as the biggest question mark going into this draft and off-season. Howard is in no way guaranteed to start, much less shine if he does. The backups are scary at best…..the kind of players you want to spell the RT1 for a few plays, not a few games.
LG also has a question mark on it.
I'm confident FO will look after CJ - they're closer to the players so have their finger on the pulse.
The draft will tell.

Back