Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All encompassing 2023 Draft thoughts thread.

Taking Stroud first also tells us they definitely wanted him and by taking him second overall with their first pick they eliminated the possibility someone might outbid them and steal him.
It's all about going and getting your guy.

Taking Stroud first also tells us they definitely wanted him and by taking him second overall with their first pick they eliminated the possibility someone might outbid them and steal him.
It's all about going and getting your guy.
"They" is not what I've been told. "They" is for public consumption.

"They" is not what I've been told. "They" is for public consumption.

If there was a deal offered, that blew Texans away, I’m sure they would have traded down. But teams didn’t offer Texans enough to trade best QB on the board away. Even if they did, would still have traded back up for Will Anderson Jr. I’m convinced of that.

What we don’t know, is what discussions were, even before the draft with Arizona for that #3 pick? At least framework, my guess is this compensation was pretty similar to what they we’re asking other teams would offer in case Texans took Anderson @ #2 (most expected) and Stroud would be on the table. Just makes sense to me, but I’m just guessing.

Man, if Ivan Pace Jr LB Cinn. is still available, Texans need to grab him immediately!
PFF had him ranked as the 20th best college player in 2022 ahead of Jack Campbell.
Definitely worth bringing him in for a look.
There must be an issue with him else he would have been snapped up.
EDIT - seems his size is the issue. He is only 5'10" but is stocky - weighs in at 231.

Last edited:
The Colts have added some incredible athletes under Ballard. Lets hope they don’t teach them how to play football too well!

Interesting read.
If it all comes together the way the Colts anticipate, they could be dangerous.

The Colts have added some incredible athletes under Ballard. Lets hope they don’t teach them how to play football too well!

Interesting read…..did they draft football players who will dominate at the next level or track stars?

Interesting read…..did they draft football players who will dominate at the next level or track stars?

Richardson is the most boom/bust prospect I can remember. His game logs are ridiculous. Are you going to get the player who doesn’t throw a td until his 4th start? Or the one that goes for over 500 combined yards and 6 passing/rushing tds?

I think he was overdrafted due to recency bias (Jalen Hurts effect). The difference is Hurts still had a learning curve and came into the league as a project… but he had A LOT more experience than Richardson as a QB.

Richardson had only 393 pass attempts in college playing in 24 games and one season as a starter.

Hurts had 1047 pass attempts and played 56 games in college with three seasons full time
starter.

And Hurts went pick 53 overall. With the Eagles sniffing around the WD40 sweepstakes after what he showed his rookie season.

If I had to make a prediction, it’s that Richardson is more likely to bust than boom.

Last edited:
I agree.

If they try to make him a QB. Which is why it would be stupid to try.

Colts and Texans are in similar spots as a franchise. Both GMs are on the hot seat and whether its official or not ownership and fans demanded a franchise QB this season. New HCs as well but I think, particularly in the case of the Texans that the HC is safe but GM is not if things don’t turnaround.

I think Stroud was the highest floor prospect of the QBs this year. And his ceiling is not all that bad. I thought Young was QB1 but Stroud has grown on me. Both are day one starters imo.

I guess I prefer the floor in my QB prospects and Young’s frame/shoulder history scares me.

Richardson is the most boom/bust prospect I can remember. His game logs are ridiculous. Are you going to get the player who doesn’t throw a td until his 4th start? Or the one that goes for over 500 combined yards and 6 passing/rushing tds?

I think he was overdrafted due to recency bias (Jalen Hurts effect). The difference is Hurts still had a learning curve and came into the league as a project… but he had A LOT more experience than Richardson as a QB.

Richardson had only 393 pass attempts in college playing in 24 games and one season as a starter.

Hurts had 1047 pass attempts and played 56 games in college with three seasons full time
starter.

And Hurts went pick 53 overall. With the Eagles sniffing around the WD40 sweepstakes after what he showed his rookie season.

If I had to make a prediction, it’s that Richardson is more likely to bust than boom.
Yep, and I would rather draft Richardson than Stroud.

Colts and Texans are in similar spots as a franchise. Both GMs are on the hot seat and whether its official or not ownership and fans demanded a franchise QB this season. New HCs as well but I think, particularly in the case of the Texans that the HC is safe but GM is not if things don’t turnaround.

I think Stroud was the highest floor prospect of the QBs this year. And his ceiling is not all that bad. I thought Young was QB1 but Stroud has grown on me. Both are day one starters imo.

I guess I prefer the floor in my QB prospects and Young’s frame/shoulder history scares me.
Yep, you just pointed out what is and has always been wrong with the Texans org. The do what the fans want, not what's best for the long term future of the franchise.

Did the fans want Mario Williams over Vince Young #1 overall in 2006?

Or Clowney over the clown car of QBs in 2014?

Or Stingley at 3 in 2022?
MW, true, thank god for Gary Kubiak.

Clowney, most fans wanted this pick.

Stingley, true but it wasn't a big deal at the time.

I prefer Stroud as a QB prospect. Don’t see Richardson developing into a competent thrower of the football.

How did you see Hurts coming into his draft yr. I thought he struggled with accuracy. Stiechen did a great job with Hurts and I wouldn't be surprised to see similar results with Richardson.

How did you see Hurts coming into his draft yr. I thought he struggled with accuracy. Stiechen did a great job with Hurts and I wouldn't be surprised to see similar results with Richardson.

I posted a couple days ago my concerns with Richardson compared to Hurts. As raw as Hurts was coming out, he had over 2x as many pass attempts in college as Richardson and a lot more starts under his belt.

Richardson is starting from a much lower place and the Eagles lucked into WD40 using his no trade clause to keep them from being in the trade sweepstakes last offseason. They were not sold on Hurts being their franchise QB after two seasons of development in the NFL.

I prefer Stroud as a QB prospect. Don’t see Richardson developing into a competent thrower of the football.
He can throw it a mile, but needs a lot of refinement.
He will have better receivers in the NFL and he is gonna need them if he is to succeed.
I wonder how good the Colts QB coaching is?

I can't help but think the Colts were eyeing Stroud and had us taking Anderson.
If Texans did take WA, there would have been a shyt fight bidding war for Stroud at #3 - probably among at least three teams.
Which wouldn't have been an issue for me.

I didn't see Hurts as a starting NFL QB coming into the draft. That said, Hurts was head and shoulders above what Richardson is now. Hurts threw for 80 TDs and almost 10K yards in college. Played in 3 NC games. Stiechen did a great job with Hurts. But he wasn't working from scratch. The Colts are asking Stiechen to be a miracle worker. Richardson will be a coach killer.

I didn't see Hurts as a starting NFL QB coming into the draft. That said, Hurts was head and shoulders above what Richardson is now. Hurts threw for 80 TDs and almost 10K yards in college. Played in 3 NC games. Stiechen did a great job with Hurts. But he wasn't working from scratch. The Colts are asking Stiechen to be a miracle worker. Richardson will be a coach killer.
We will see, it really will come down to Richardson's work ethic. The talent is definitely there. Richardson has to learn how to not run so hot and cold from game to game and qtr to qtr .Stiechen has a great track record of being able to develop a QB with Richardson's skillset. Hope you're right this will ruin the Colts chances of being a contender.

I'm betting 3 yrs from now Levis will be the best of the bunch.

I'm betting 3 yrs from now Levis will be the best of the bunch.
Because Tim Kelly will do such a great job developing him? Why will the light come on for Levis now, in the NFL? He hasn't done it it 4 years of college. The guy looks like a QB. Has QB traits. Plays like a TE. Everyone was right to pass on Levis in the 1st round. Some of the guys that went later have a better chance of making it, IMO.

Because Tim Kelly will do such a great job developing him? Why will the light come on for Levis now, in the NFL? He hasn't done it it 4 years of college. The guy looks like a QB. Has QB traits. Plays like a TE. Everyone was right to pass on Levis in the 1st round. Some of the guys that went later have a better chance of making it, IMO.

Because he was playing hurt last yr. He was pretty good in 2021. I happen to think Kelly did a pretty underrated job. Levis is healthy and their OL should be much improved with Skoronski and Brunskill being added. Plus having Henry and a difference making TE should make life easier on Levis if he plays. I actually could see Tannehill playing all yr and Levis starting next yr. The Titans would've made the playoffs if Tannehill had stayed healthy last yr.

Last edited:
I didn't see Hurts as a starting NFL QB coming into the draft. That said, Hurts was head and shoulders above what Richardson is now. Hurts threw for 80 TDs and almost 10K yards in college. Played in 3 NC games. Stiechen did a great job with Hurts. But he wasn't working from scratch.
Agreed. Richardson should have transferred to Alabama.

Let's look at the rest of it though. There's other taxes.

Let's assume Bryce spends $800,000 on his new home and we'll use that as the taxable valuation. Bryce will pay roughly $5600 to $8200 depending on location. Mecklenburg County is most expensive, so let's roll with the $8200.

Let's assume CJ buys a similar home here, but at $700,000. His place is in Sugarland. He's paying almost $16,000 in property tax, even on a smaller valuation.

Now Bryce wants a fancy sports car. He wants a 2022 Ferrari Roma. It's actually one of their cheaper models at a measly MSRP of $226,570. He gets a deal and it's $220,000 all in.

NC sales tax is 4.75%, so his tax on his car is $10,450.

CJ buys the same car in Houston. His tax bill is $26,666.

CJ might still come out a bit ahead all in all, but it's not by as much as this chart shows.

The more CJ spends on taxable items and on property, as compared to Bryce, the difference will get smaller and smaller.

I think Kelly is vastly underrated around these parts. Like I said, if Tannehill is healthy Levis doesn't play and the Titans make the playoffs.
I agree with you that majority here don’t rate Tim Kelly (me included) but Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t you also say that mills would improve once Tim Kelly left?

I think Kelly is vastly underrated around these parts. Like I said, if Tannehill is healthy Levis doesn't play and the Titans make the playoffs.
So, Levis will be the best QB if he doesn't play? And Tannehill has to stay healthy and the Titans make the playoffs? Not what you said in the post I quoted and very slim odds of all that happening

Levis will be the best QB if he doesn't play? And Tannehill has to stay healthy and the Titans make the playoffs?
I think it’s possible. He’s got all the tools & ability. Being able to sit behind a guy like Tannehill can’t but help. I don’t know what to think about Tim Kelly, apart from BO’b he might be a good coach

I think it’s possible. He’s got all the tools & ability. Being able to sit behind a guy like Tannehill can’t but help. I don’t know what to think about Tim Kelly, apart from BO’b he might be a good coach
Possibly but doubtful. We'll see in 3 years

Ryans knows what time it is and he knows he has to build a culture within the Texans locker room that apparently wasn't there previously.
I can't think of a better way to build a leadership base than to bring in players that were leaders on their respective college teams.
They will buy into what the coach demands and should be the enforcers of that culture on and off the field.
It's building that championship mindset.

LOVE IT !!!

It isn't worth making a thread over, but the NFL is reportedly holding the supplemental draft this on 11 July. So far it looks like two players (both receivers) 'eligible' are Milton Wright (formerly from Purdue; did not play in 2022-23) and Malachi Wideman (Jackson State, transferred from Tennessee).

As I mentioned about, Wright did not play last year. The 6'3" receiver had a good 2021-2022 season, however, registering 732 yards on 57 catches (12.8 yards/rec) and 7 TDs.

Malachi Wideman is more interesting player, in my opinion. Listed at 6'5", Wideman was recruited for both basketball and football. In 2021, he averaged almost 16 yards per reception and found the end zone 12 times in 11 games. Things went wrong for him last year, though, as he had only 3 receptions in 6 games last year.

Back