Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

As his father watches from prison, C.J. Stroud takes the NFL by storm

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
HOUSTON — By now, C.J. Stroud knows the routine. His phone buzzes, and when he picks up, he’s met with an automated message telling him he’s receiving a call from an inmate at Folsom State Prison. He’s asked if he wants to accept. He selects 5. He waits.

After a few nervy moments, he hears a voice on the other end. It belongs to his father.
For a while — for almost six years — C.J. would have silenced the call and ignored it. He wasn’t ready. He was still hurt, still bitter. Coleridge Stroud III, prisoner-turned-pastor, went away when his youngest son was only 13, sentenced in California to 38 years after pleading guilty to charges of carjacking, kidnapping, robbery and misdemeanor sexual assault, a repeat offender paying a price for crimes committed decades earlier.

C.J. had grown up calling him Pops, thinking of him as his best friend. Then he was gone, gone in an instant, leaving the family to scrape by, to sweat the bills that kept piling up, to live in a cramped apartment above a storage facility 40 miles east of Los Angeles but a world away.

For years, the son couldn’t forgive. He refused to speak to his father.

It was Dad who had taught him to throw a spiral, who would sit on the bed in their old house and catch passes from little C.J. while he darted around theIt was Dad who had taught him to throw a spiral, who would sit on the bed in their old house and catch passes from little C.J. while he darted around the room, showing off his arm. “Wow, you can throw it pretty good,” Dad would marvel. “Let’s try this outside.” And when they did, C.J. kept flinging it, impressing Dad even more. “Wow, son, you throw a football better than I can.”

But after Dad went away, the money grew tight, the climb harder. C.J. rode the bench his first two years of high school, envious when two quarterbacks from the area — Bryce Young and D.J. Uiagalelei — started receiving scholarship offers in the eighth grade. “Perseverance, perseverance, perseverance,” Kimberly Stroud used to tell her son. “Patience, patience, patience.”
He remembers his first offer. He was a junior. Colorado wanted him. The two of them, mother and son, sat in that little apartment above the storage facility and “cried like babies,” he says.

He visited Ohio State, and when Justin Fields told him, “Come take this over,” C.J. listened. He became one of the best passers in program history, steeled by the hard lessons he’d endured off the field. “My story is different than others,” Stroud says. More lessons would wait. He turned pro, then days before the draft, a report leaked that he’d flunked the S2 Cognition test, a set of exams that claim to “make the undefinable qualities of top athletes quantifiable.”
At first, he seethed. Then he shook it off.

“What’s a man gonna do to me?” Stroud asks now. “I fear God. I don’t fear no situation, I don’t fear a team, I don’t fear an owner. What’s so bad that’s gonna happen? I’m gonna drop to No. 10? Look at my perspective. I’m gonna get drafted regardless of that dang test.”

He didn’t drop. He went second to the Texans, and eight games in, his play has made a mockery of the S2 test’s viability — if Stroud’s leaked scores were even accurate in the first place. So far, he’s playing as well as any rookie quarterback has in a decade.
Yea it's a fee site so I can't give you all of it because one of the mods might chew my azz out and I'm a sensitive guy, but it's about our savior so it's important..

It is a very long article. Here's the last part.

He used to pull up Drew Brees highlights on YouTube to study his footwork. He loved the efficiency of Brees’ release, how there was no wasted motion. “Because of how small he was, he couldn’t make a mistake,” Stroud says. That’s how Stroud taught himself after his father went away, how he climbed from an off-the-radar recruit early in high school to Ohio State to No. 2 in the draft last spring.

He goes back to a quote his older brother, Isaiah, used to repeat. You can pray for anything. You can pray all you want. But if you don’t meet God halfway with your hard work, it really doesn’t matter.

“If you’re given everything right away,” Stroud says, looking back, “you become spoiled. You can kind of get flustered when things don’t go right. And if you get flustered easy, you won’t be successful, not in this line of work.

“I didn’t know what it would look like, or where I’d be, but I always knew what I was going through wasn’t for no reason. I knew I was being prepared for something bigger.”

He’s right. He just knew before everyone else.

It is a very long article. Here's the last part.

He used to pull up Drew Brees highlights on YouTube to study his footwork. He loved the efficiency of Brees’ release, how there was no wasted motion. “Because of how small he was, he couldn’t make a mistake,” Stroud says. That’s how Stroud taught himself after his father went away, how he climbed from an off-the-radar recruit early in high school to Ohio State to No. 2 in the draft last spring.

That answers that. One of the first comparisons I heard was Brees. I think it was by JT O'Sullivan, and it instantly made sense.

HOUSTON — By now, C.J. Stroud knows the routine. His phone buzzes, and when he picks up, he’s met with an automated message telling him he’s receiving a call from an inmate at Folsom State Prison. He’s asked if he wants to accept. He selects 5. He waits.

After a few nervy moments, he hears a voice on the other end. It belongs to his father.
For a while — for almost six years — C.J. would have silenced the call and ignored it. He wasn’t ready. He was still hurt, still bitter. Coleridge Stroud III, prisoner-turned-pastor, went away when his youngest son was only 13, sentenced in California to 38 years after pleading guilty to charges of carjacking, kidnapping, robbery and misdemeanor sexual assault, a repeat offender paying a price for crimes committed decades earlier.

C.J. had grown up calling him Pops, thinking of him as his best friend. Then he was gone, gone in an instant, leaving the family to scrape by, to sweat the bills that kept piling up, to live in a cramped apartment above a storage facility 40 miles east of Los Angeles but a world away.

For years, the son couldn’t forgive. He refused to speak to his father.

It was Dad who had taught him to throw a spiral, who would sit on the bed in their old house and catch passes from little C.J. while he darted around theIt was Dad who had taught him to throw a spiral, who would sit on the bed in their old house and catch passes from little C.J. while he darted around the room, showing off his arm. “Wow, you can throw it pretty good,” Dad would marvel. “Let’s try this outside.” And when they did, C.J. kept flinging it, impressing Dad even more. “Wow, son, you throw a football better than I can.”

But after Dad went away, the money grew tight, the climb harder. C.J. rode the bench his first two years of high school, envious when two quarterbacks from the area — Bryce Young and D.J. Uiagalelei — started receiving scholarship offers in the eighth grade. “Perseverance, perseverance, perseverance,” Kimberly Stroud used to tell her son. “Patience, patience, patience.”
He remembers his first offer. He was a junior. Colorado wanted him. The two of them, mother and son, sat in that little apartment above the storage facility and “cried like babies,” he says.

He visited Ohio State, and when Justin Fields told him, “Come take this over,” C.J. listened. He became one of the best passers in program history, steeled by the hard lessons he’d endured off the field. “My story is different than others,” Stroud says. More lessons would wait. He turned pro, then days before the draft, a report leaked that he’d flunked the S2 Cognition test, a set of exams that claim to “make the undefinable qualities of top athletes quantifiable.”
At first, he seethed. Then he shook it off.

“What’s a man gonna do to me?” Stroud asks now. “I fear God. I don’t fear no situation, I don’t fear a team, I don’t fear an owner. What’s so bad that’s gonna happen? I’m gonna drop to No. 10? Look at my perspective. I’m gonna get drafted regardless of that dang test.”

He didn’t drop. He went second to the Texans, and eight games in, his play has made a mockery of the S2 test’s viability — if Stroud’s leaked scores were even accurate in the first place. So far, he’s playing as well as any rookie quarterback has in a decade.
Yea it's a fee site so I can't give you all of it because one of the mods might chew my azz out and I'm a sensitive guy, but it's about our savior so it's important..
When you say Savior, do you mean the Lord Jesus Christ?

I just follow my late favorite Texas singer-songwriter Bill Joe Shaver’s motto. “ If you don’t love Jesus go to hell”, lol.

Last edited:
View attachment 12996
Quite the upstanding citizen, eh?

giphy.gif

What does 38 years achieve that a sentence of say 10-15 years wouldn’t? I get having life sentences for violent sexual offenders or murderers, but this guy seems to have made a series of very bad decisions which he should probably have some support to do better in future.

What does 38 years achieve that a sentence of say 10-15 years wouldn’t? I get having life sentences for violent sexual offenders or murderers, but this guy seems to have made a series of very bad decisions which he should probably have some support to do better in future.
I don't claim to know how the system works, but from my understanding 3rd strike means you're getting sentenced for the previous crimes as well as the current. 38 might be appropriate for 3 crimes.

I read an ESPN article a few days ago that goes deeper into how his father got where he is. He was an executive for a successful telecommunications company and pastor of his church. He had been sober for 20 years and then his wife filed for divorce in 2012 and he went down into a drug hole again hence where he is now.

Car jacking is a violent offense. He is right where he should be. Maybe he can spend some time mulling his life decisions. If you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime.
I just don’t think the length of the sentence really reflects the type of offence, especially not when this guy seems to have cleaned up his act for a time and then had a relapse due to some personal issues. I’m sure a decade or so at most would be plenty of time to mull it over, seems like a system not looking to rehabilitate. If doubt there is any deterrent delta between a 10 year sentence vs a 38 year sentence when choosing to commit that crime. But I’ll bow out now as it’s in danger of getting political.

CJ has clearly overcome some massive adversity as a young man and channeled it into perfecting his craft, let’s hope it continues to take him far.

These are tough decisions made be Judges every day. We people in the public get really tired of repeat offenders and it’s easy to just say lock them up for good. But man for him to go 20 years and just slip again, that is a long sentence. Maybe the evidence looked really bad ( evil) and that had a big influence on the sentencing. Basically this man lives a healthy godly life when not on drugs. It’s really sad obviously, drugs take over many a people’s lives and just ruins them and sometimes people around them. I hope they let him out early under a random drug testing program, I think he would be fine living under those conditions. We as a nation really need to find a way to make drugs harder to get, that should be one of our top priorities. Just my thoughts

Like they told us in the 70's...

Oh sure... but every time I asked my TV questions like:

"So drugs are like making me breakfast?"

"So drugs are like my momma making me eggs?"

"Where do I get these breakfast drugs?"

Etc.

They never answered me.

Im still pissed milk didn't do my body good.

I mean I still drink all of my fruity pebbles milk and I have yet to grow taller than 5'10" the alleged height of Bryce the midget Young..... LIES!

As for the system, it has its issues no doubt and as unfortunate as it is that CJs dad went the path he did.

At the same time, it's part of who CJ is and who knows how he would be if it were different.

I don't know him personally but CJ seems like a genuinely good guy so inspite of it all he seems to have turned out well, maybe even the better for it.

The real victims are the children robbed of their fathers, but thats more on the choices of the fathers rather than the system.

Last edited:

Prison Industrial Complex. Having people in jail makes some people money.

If only there was one for mental health.

But that would mean a whole lot of instant job openings in this country cause.... people out there be crazy.

That’s the truth of the matter, the man had a mental breakdown leading to drug abuse and associated crime and instead of supporting him to be a better citizen the system locks him away and throws away the key. Yes there will have to be a punishment for law breaking on that level but the world would be a better place if it was short and sweet and accompanied by the relevant support to help the person going through those issues back into society and contributing. A lot of money being wasted on 38 years of 3 square meals a day and every need met.

I believe someone asked but CJs father is eligible for parole in 2040 so it’s a long shot that he ever gets to see him play in person.

• Sad
Reactions: JB
This is a great question. I've always wondered when someone serves such a long sentence, when they get out, how do they contribute to society? Even if they have changed. How do they assimilate into society? How do they even overcome the stigma of being a convict and earn a living when they get out?

This is a great question. I've always wondered when someone serves such a long sentence, when they get out, how do they contribute to society? Even if they have changed. How do they assimilate into society? How do they even overcome the stigma of being a convict and earn a living when they get out?
I don't know if there is any way that someone can live that long in a controlled environment and ever adjust to normal society.

I don't know if there is any way that someone can live that long in a controlled environment and ever adjust to normal society.
They certainly can. I’m a product of one. I grew up in a residential school for the Deaf. I know it’s not the same thing but it is in an sense. Institutionalization is a barrier that happens within the community but it is possible to overcome. Just takes finesse and patience.

They certainly can. I’m a product of one. I grew up in a residential school for the Deaf. I know it’s not the same thing but it is in an sense. Institutionalization is a barrier that happens within the community but it is possible to overcome. Just takes finesse and patience.
I understand what you are saying, but I don't think it's the same at all.

One of my cousins did four years in the pen because he was caught with a loaded gun back in 2003. He was only out for a few days and back to prison he went. He went out to a bar with friends (violating probation) and got into a nasty fight inside the bar, leaving the other guy with some sort of brain damage. He was supposed to do 8 years but got out after doing 6.

I look at it as him doing 10 straight years. The outcome, he got out of prison and got a job doing construction inside refineries/chemical plants while he went to college for business management. He graduated in 2016 and opened up a very successful home health business and the dude is a multi millionaire now. He’s a clean cut good looking guy who you’d never imagine has ever seen the inside of a jail house, let alone a prison. I’d say he has adjusted to the free world quite well.

With all due respect, carjacking, kidnapping, AND robbery is not exactly the same as a speeding ticket. Each one of those violations alone is a serious crime so not sure wtf you’re talking about. Hell, a drug charge alone gets people life in prison and he had that on the list of offenses. 38 years is for all of those crimes seems generous. Could and probably should have easily been a 45+ year sentence.

One of my cousins did four years in the pen because he was caught with a loaded gun back in 2003. He was only out for a few days and back to prison he went. He went out to a bar with friends (violating probation) and got into a nasty fight inside the bar, leaving the other guy with some sort of brain damage. He was supposed to do 8 years but got out after doing 6.

I look at it as him doing 10 straight years. The outcome, he got out of prison and got a job doing construction inside refineries/chemical plants while he went to college for business management. He graduated in 2016 and opened up a very successful home health business and the dude is a multi millionaire now. He’s a clean cut good looking guy who you’d never imagine has ever seen the inside of a jail house, let alone a prison. I’d say he has adjusted to the free world quite well.
Your cousin is an unicorn. 4 years for a loaded gun is harsh, what else was there?

Your cousin is an unicorn. 4 years for a loaded gun is harsh, what else was there?
That was it. Texas was pushing for 10 at the time. Gun charges were harsh before the mid 2010s. He didn’t have a license to carry, by the way.

Reactions: JB
Everywhere you go everyone all day long is on their cell phone. They are living in a controlled environment unlike any we have ever experienced before. Seems to me this is why NOBODY seems to be able to adjust to anything ”normal”. All social conventions are now set by advertisers and what seems ”cool” today. Seems like from what you say the criminals should be perfectly suited for society these days.

With all due respect, carjacking, kidnapping, AND robbery is not exactly the same as a speeding ticket. Each one of those violations alone is a serious crime so not sure wtf you’re talking about. Hell, a drug charge alone gets people life in prison and he had that on the list of offenses. 38 years is for all of those crimes seems generous. Could and probably should have easily been a 45+ year sentence.
Not to mention sexual assault. His charges are severe. Seems to be the perfect sentence for what he did.

Back