Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

College Football Random Thought of the Day

I talked to my brother-in-law about this last evening because he's always tapped into the news about college sports. He thinks that we shouldn't just be watching what the conferences do in this new wave of realignment, but what the networks do. Specifically, Fox Sports is looking for some way to be more competitive against ESPN in college sports and might be able to find it during realignment.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1420492650482970633

Bob Bowlsby told @TheAthletic:

"This collaboration between and among ESPN and conferences to undermine the Big 12 is a tortious interference with our business."

Bowlsby: "It’s not unrelated to OU-Texas, because if the conference ceases to exist, they have the best chance to join the SEC more quickly and they have the best chance to get out of their obligations for the grant of rights and the exit fees."

Bowlsby: "It’s clearly them doing things that are disadvantageous to our business and I have absolute certainty that what I’m saying is factual."

Bowlsby: "I’m not prepared to share the evidence, but I can tell you it’s irrefutable."

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1420512706529013764

Michael McCann @McCannSportsLaw

Huge development with Big 12 sending a cease & desist letter to ESPN. Whether ESPN’s contractual duties to the Big 12 as a business partner trump its 1st Amendment rights in news reporting would be key issue in any legal battle. As story details, the Big 12 could sue ESPN for tortious interference with contractual relations and breach of contract. Shows the tricky party of a media company doing business with a league it also reports on. There are "Two ESPNs": ESPN the TV Network & ESPN the News Company.

Another "Watson" came to Florida weighing 480 pounds.................now he's slim and trim...............*********************************************************Florida's Dez Watson, 400-LB freshman lineman, is even bigger than you'd expect
Adam Spencer | 3 hours ago
https://www.facebook.com/dialog/sha...hman-lineman-is-even-bigger-than-youd-expect/
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?ur...man+lineman,+is+even+bigger+than+you'd+expect
When you play defensive tackle, your job is to take up as much space along the defensive front as possible to free up your linebackers to make tackles.
Well, Florida freshman DT Dez Watson takes up a lot of space. Watson came to Florida with a lot of buzz around him, as he weighed in at nearly 450 pounds.

He’s now down closer to 400 pounds, but he’s still a beast on the field. Check out how hard he is to move around in the action he saw on Saturday night against FAU:

THE REST OF THE STORY

Wouldn't mind having this "Watson" on the Texans.

Kyle Field announced attendance last night: 97,339...........evidently the Aggies have figured out how to exterminate Delta Covid.:chef:

Good for aggies, don’t care about exterminate anymore, just another human THREAT we need to learn to “LIVE” with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Contrary to some of the doubters……the BIG12 will finally be adding Houston, Cincinnati, Central Florida, and BYU to bring their total count of teams back to 12.

There’s a chance that the new teams could be in the conference for a season before Texas and Oklahoma officially ship over to the SEC….that could be interesting.

If BIG12 wants to improve their chances of remaining a relevant conference, they should prepare to extend 4 more offers to schools that would allow them to rename the conference the BIG16.

I have a conspiracy theory about why the Cougars are not in the top 25 of the playoff committee rankings. Some spare 6-3 teams are in the rankings, ffs. I think they're trying to minimize Cincinnati's victories in case they go undefeated, and if Cinci beats UH later in the year on their way to an unbeaten season, not having too many W's vs ranked opponents will be a knock and a reason they leave Cinci out of the playoffs. And I have no doubt they'll be left out, even if they go undefeated.

I have a conspiracy theory about why the Cougars are not in the top 25 of the playoff committee rankings. Some spare 6-3 teams are in the rankings, ffs. I think they're trying to minimize Cincinnati's victories in case they go undefeated, and if Cinci beats UH later in the year on their way to an unbeaten season, not having too many W's vs ranked opponents will be a knock and a reason they leave Cinci out of the playoffs. And I have no doubt they'll be left out, even if they go undefeated.

That’s why I want the Cougars to win…..just take the screwing out of voters hands.

Man, what a decent final week in CFB.

Ohio St - Michigan….Could determine Harbaugh’s future and who’s in the CFB Playoffs.

Texas Tech - Baylor…..Baylor is playing for a money Bowl and TT could pull the upset.

UH - UConn…..The Coogs have to win to make the Cincy showdown very interesting.

UTSA - UNT…..UTSA playing for a 12-0 season….and a nice Bowl game.

Alabama - Auburn…..Always a game but don’t think for a second Auburn wouldn’t love to knock Bama out of the playoff picture.

OU - Oklahoma St…..Another big battle that could have CFB playoff chances based on what happens with the other big games.

Man, what a decent final week in CFB.

Ohio St - Michigan….Could determine Harbaugh’s future and who’s in the CFB Playoffs.

Texas Tech - Baylor…..Baylor is playing for a money Bowl and TT could pull the upset.

UH - UConn…..The Coogs have to win to make the Cincy showdown very interesting.

UTSA - UNT…..UTSA playing for a 12-0 season….and a nice Bowl game.

Alabama - Auburn…..Always a game but don’t think for a second Auburn wouldn’t love to knock Bama out of the playoff picture.

OU - Oklahoma St…..Another big battle that could have CFB playoff chances based on what happens with the other big games.

UH held up its end of the bargain and routes UConn. Showdown in the AAC Championship Game……Houston (11-1) -vs- Cincinnati (12-0). This could be a really awesome game. Go Coogs!!!!

Last edited:
Could it be conceivable that Georgia and Alabama could play each other in consecutive games?
SEC Championship game and then #1 Georgia vs a 2 loss #4 Alabama in the playoffs.

Could it be conceivable that Georgia and Alabama could play each other in consecutive games?
SEC Championship game and then #1 Georgia vs a 2 loss #4 Alabama in the playoffs.

If Alabama doesn’t beat Georgia…..they can forget about the playoffs this year.

So first Lincoln Riley to USC and now Brian Kelly to LSU.

Swift kick in the pants for a couple of blue bloods.

Which bowl games are you most interested in watching?

I‘m interested to see the Cincinnati defense go up against the Bama offense. There are multiple prospects from Cinn that I’m eyeing and it’ll be a great test.
I'm looking forward to watching:
Notre Dame vs Oklahoma State - pick'em
Ohio State vs Utah - Buckeyes
Baylor vs Ole Miss - slight lean Ole Miss
Alabama vs Cincinnati will be a good fight early but Bama pulls away in 2nd half.
Georgia vs Michigan doesn't match up well for Michigan. Michigan's power game plays right into the Bulldog's strengths. Michigan will need some explosive plays on offense to win this one.
My prediction is Alabama will beat Georgia again in the championship game. Georgia has a chance if they can get out front, but they're not built to play from behind. I'd love for Georgia or Michigan to win it all but I just don't see either being able to score enough to put pressure on the Tide

I did a small double-take when I noticed that Texas Tech is playing Mississippi State. That means that Mike Leach will be coaching against his old team, which is currently being coached by a guy who played quarterback for him.

Cincinnati vs Alabama, Luke Fickell. Luke Fickell was Mike Vrabel's college roommate. Those who laughed at me for wanting Luke Fickell as the next Texans head coach, are you still laughing? My avatar hasn't changed since.

Cincinnati vs Alabama, Luke Fickell. Luke Fickell was Mike Vrabel's college roommate. Those who laughed at me for wanting Luke Fickell as the next Texans head coach, are you still laughing? My avatar hasn't changed since.

Yes, I'm still laughing at/with you, but not over Fickell even though I dont want a college HC as an NFL HC.

LOL at Tennessee is a FUBAR.

Yes, I'm still laughing at/with you, but not over Fickell even though I dont want a college HC as an NFL HC.

LOL at Tennessee is a FUBAR.
Signed,
Jimmy Johnson, Pete Carrol, Cliff Kingsbury, Matt Ruhle, Tom Coughlin, Uban Meyer, Barry Switzer, Jim Harbaugh, Paul Brown, Don Coryell and Bill Walsh. (How is David Culley working out for you?)

no we’re still laughing at you about your Blake bortles take some years back.

Mike Vrabel ain't done crap yet. Let's go get Bruce Arians son's college roommate.

Signed,
Jimmy Johnson, Pete Carrol, Cliff Kingsbury, Matt Ruhle, Tom Coughlin, Uban Meyer, Barry Switzer, Jim Harbaugh, Paul Brown, Don Coryell and Bill Walsh. (How is David Culley working out for you?)

Let me rephrase, I dont want a college coach with no prior NFL experience. Sure there will be a few that will be successful (Jimmy Johnson is an all time favorite and a guy I would model the Texans after.) but with no pro experience as an assistant or having played in the NFL most are unsuccessful.

that’s unreal

.....and CFB isn't a ducking business profiting massively at the expense of the student/athlete. Duck these folks!!!!

A few billionaires need to get together and bring a true NDFL (National Development Football League) on the scene and absolutely go after CFB. It's never been done and wouldn't fail if done right.

HS football players who'd like to play at the next level for money would finally have a legal way to do this instead of living in the shadows of getting paid illegally while playing CFB. 4 and 5 star players would be plentiful since a lot of players go to play CFB and find themselves buried on the depth chart would have an option versus sitting for a season or having to play at a lower level. All HS football players who'd have a desire to play for the NDFL would have to submit their names to a pool as would CFB players entering the league. An NFL type of draft would be in place. I believe there'd be plenty of interest by athletes and fans alike.

Let me rephrase, I dont want a college coach with no prior NFL experience. Sure there will be a few that will be successful (Jimmy Johnson is an all time favorite and a guy I would model the Texans after.) but with no pro experience as an assistant or having played in the NFL most are unsuccessful.
Yeah, that makes perfectly good sense, since NFL offenses are copying college offenses for their dual purpose QBs. You are always BIG on people who've been to the Super Bowl (Dimitroff, Vrabel, Robinson), so I gave you about 10 or more college coaches who've been HC in the Super Bowl. You speak with a forked tongue. What is good for your goose, is good for your gander.

Last edited:
I've always wondered how successful JJ would have been without Hershel Walker and the Vikings
It was Jimmy Johnson's wisdom that recognized that it was going to take several years to get the talent level to a championship level and Walker could expedite that timeline. I don't think there is much doubt that Johnson's eye for talent and coaching style would've have produced championships with or without Walker. And it wasn't just Walker, another case and point is drafting Steve Walsh with 2nd RD pick in 1990 draft and trading him to New Orleans also parlayed a bounty of picks for the Cowboys.

Last edited:
It was Jimmy Johnson's wisdom that recognized that it was going to take several years to get the talent level to a championship level and Walker could expedite that timeline. I don't think there is much doubt that Johnson's eye for talent and coaching style would've have produced championships with or without Walker. And it wasn't just Walker, another case and point is drafting Steve Walsh with 2nd RD pick in 1990 draft and trading him to New Orleans parlayed a bounty of picks for the Cowboys.

Walker and the Vikings enabled him to accelerate the timeline by snagging the triplets and a few other key pieces like getting Walsh with the 2nd. I believe he would have built a contender over time, but the dominant team that won 3?

Yeah, that makes perfectly good sense, since NFL offenses are copying college offenses for their dual purpose QBs. You are always BIG on people who've been to the Super Bowl (Dimitroff, Vrabel, Robinson), so I gave you about 10 or more college coaches who've been HC in the Super Bowl. You speak with a forked tongue. What is good for your goose, is good for your gander.

?

How many hc's have won And and never been on a NFL staff?

It's my preference. Obviously not yours What did the last sentence of your post refer too? Are we a little snippy in our Foxboro hate this morning?

How many hc's have won And and never been on a NFL staff?
There have been a number of college coaches who have won considerably more Super Bowls than Mike Vrabel as a HC, Dimitroff as a GM and Robinson as a GM. This is your measuring stick, not mine.

There have been a number of college coaches who have won considerably more Super Bowls than Mike Vrabel as a HC, Dimitroff as a GM and Robinson as a GM. This is your measuring stick, not mine.
Tell me more about them

Back