Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

DeMeco or Stroud

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
The old is it Brady or Belichick?

I’m doing this thread tongue in cheek because I believe you need both a great coach and a great QB to be really great.

But I want this thread to go for the next 10 years with 10 straight Super Bowl wins with the whole world talking about the Texans football dynasty!

Who’s the most responsible for the Texans success?

I’m doing this thread tongue in cheek because I believe you need both a great coach and a great QB to be really great.

But I want this thread to go for the next 10 years with 10 straight Super Bowl wins with the whole world talking about the Texans football dynasty!

Stroud.
You gotta have an above average QB if you want to be competitive - the more talented, the more success.
Ultimately, it's the players on the field that make the plays.

Not to take anything away from DeMeco, but if he had Davis Mills as his starting QB the Texans would not be 5-4 right now. I also don't think they'd be 5-4 right now if Stroud is the QB and OB was in charge. So Meco does matter but I think that percentage leans much more on CJ.

I've always said that you can put certain seasons together and win with an average QB in those seasons, but to win consistently, year in and year out, you need that tier 1 QB. I mean, look at Belichick without a tier 1 QB.

You are the devil.

Coach Ryans says it is the players. CJ is one of the players, so I go with CJ.

It seems that we have a great pairing in DeMeco Ryan's and CJ Stroud. Great coach and great quarterback. They seem to be on the same page and their chemistry can only get better.
I sincerely hope we have many years of watching them work and many many championships with this 2 headed monster driving this team.

GO TEXANS!!!

The whole is more than the sum of the parts.

Would Stroud be Stroud on Carolina?
Would Demeco be Demeco in Arizona?

No to both of those.

They benefit from each other immensely and have the success they do because they have each other.

Look at the pieces Stroud has on the team - the OL, the WRs, the Defense,
That’s from Hannah, err Caserio.

Brady needed Belicheck to become Brady. Belicheck needed Brady to have success.

Stroud.
You gotta have an above average QB if you want to be competitive - the more talented, the more success.
Ultimately, it's the players on the field that make the plays.
This is mostly true, but players can't succeed if they have bad coaching. Just look at the train wreck that was the Texans the last three years. Would Stroud be as successful if he were on the Raiders, Jets, Bears, Titans, or Panthers? I think not. He'd be good, but not setting records seemingly every week.
Good coaches plan to their player's strengths and put them in position to succeed. Bad coaches try to force square pegs into round holes because they're reliant on their system and aren't good enough to adapt.
Look at Josh McDaniel. 2 stints as a HC and the results were the same. He tries to be like Belichick, but he's not as good of a coach as Belichick. In Denver and in Vegas, players walked on eggshells because of his coaching style. Just not in tune with the players.
Ryans has his issues calling the defense, too. Every time they go prevent, they allow the opponent to march right down field. That's not putting the players on the field in a position to make plays. IMO, Ryans should either give up play-calling or hire a game manager to keep up with clock management and in-game management. I see Ryans/Slowik meshing perfectly with Stroud. I also think Ryans lets his OC run the offense. That's very much like Belichick.

I think possible, Johnson could get offer to be head coach next season as well as Slowik.
Well I guess the fire Slowik train has derailed.

If Stroud hasn't lead the comeback and the Bengals had won the game, I'm sure the pitchforks would've been out in full force.

Thing is I liked the fact that Slowik trusted Stroud and even though Stroud screwed up I hope Slowik continues to trust Stroud. There will be rookie mistakes but I like the let's end this thing gambler attitude.

I always hear many fans preferring a offensive hc but I believe Cj having a top 3 defensive minded mentor/coach in Ryan has elevated his play and made his learning curve a lot quicker. Of course, credits to slowik, Johnson and Keenum as well. I’m also not saying Ryan is the main reason for Cj success but I believe he’s helped him a lot whether that’s pulling him in the office and deciphering complex defenses or pulling him to the side during a game and telling him how to manipulate the opposing teams defense. Either way I’m glad we found our guys

demeco-ryans-nfl.gif

Well I guess the fire Slowik train has derailed.

If Stroud hasn't lead the comeback and the Bengals had won the game, I'm sure the pitchforks would've been out in full force.

Thing is I liked the fact that Slowik trusted Stroud and even though Stroud screwed up I hope Slowik continues to trust Stroud. There will be rookie mistakes but I like the let's end this thing gambler attitude.

While I agree stroud made a rookie mistake. The playcalling on 3rd & 2 up double digits while having success in the run game didn’t help either. 50/50 blame on Stroud and Slowik.

Of course, credits to slowik, Johnson and Keenum as well. I’m also not saying Ryan is the main reason for Cj success but I believe he’s helped him a lot whether that’s pulling him in the office and deciphering complex defenses or pulling him to the side during a game and telling him how to manipulate the opposing teams defense.
I'm sure that's happening, but we don't have any evidence of it. I've listened to many post game interviews & several DeMeco Ryans interviews & have never heard anything like that. Even watching the games I never see any kind of conversation between the two.

What we do know is that Cj goes out of his way to talk to his defensive teammates & their coaches & talks about the defenses he's seeing in practice.

I always hear many fans preferring a offensive hc but I believe Cj having a top 3 defensive minded mentor/coach in Ryan has elevated his play and made his learning curve a lot quicker. Of course, credits to slowik, Johnson and Keenum as well. I’m also not saying Ryan is the main reason for Cj success but I believe he’s helped him a lot whether that’s pulling him in the office and deciphering complex defenses or pulling him to the side during a game and telling him how to manipulate the opposing teams defense. Either way I’m glad we found our guys

demeco-ryans-nfl.gif
I've always liked defensive minded HCs that would allow the OC to run the offense. Some of the greatest HCs in NFL history did that. Belichick, Noll, Parcells, Carroll, Tomlin, etc.

Last edited:
I'm sure that's happening, but we don't have any evidence of it. I've listened to many post game interviews & several DeMeco Ryans interviews & have never heard anything like that. Even watching the games I never see any kind of conversation between the two.

What we do know is that Cj goes out of his way to talk to his defensive teammates & their coaches & talks about the defenses he's seeing in practice.
That's a great sign of a pupil of the game. Always wanting to learn and grow.

The whole is more than the sum of the parts.

Would Stroud be Stroud on Carolina?
Would Demeco be Demeco in Arizona?

No to both of those.

They benefit from each other immensely and have the success they do because they have each other.

Look at the pieces Stroud has on the team - the OL, the WRs, the Defense,
That’s from Hannah, err Caserio.

Brady needed Belicheck to become Brady. Belicheck needed Brady to have success.
Demeco would be Demeco wherever he went. He would be successful. Brady, maybe not so much. IMO CJ is elevating the players around him. CJ is in a stratosphere of his own. Like Mahomes.

I can’t lie I am worried about what might happen once Slowik gets hired away. It’s happening either this offseason or next. I hope we can keep him one more year and let Stroud get settled into the league before we have some turnover.

A big factor in DeMeco’s success here will be hiring decisions at OC so I hope he can continue to do a good job at that.

I was pushing hard to hire Steichen for this reason but we’ll see

I can’t lie I am worried about what might happen once Slowik gets hired away. It’s happening either this offseason or next. I hope we can keep him one more year and let Stroud get settled into the league before we have some turnover.

A big factor in DeMeco’s success here will be hiring decisions at OC so I hope he can continue to do a good job at that.

If the Texans continue on this trajectory - Slowik will be here at least one more season and potentially two. Most OCs hold that role for 2 to 3 years prior to being firmly on the radar for a HC position. Steichen was an interim OC and OC for the Chargers before 2 years as the OC for the Eagles. 3.5 years of OC work prior to the HC offer. I am not saying Slowik's name won't be floated, but I believe that at the earliest we would be looking at the 25/26 season as the first sans Slowik. Additionally, tying his cart to Stroud for 2/3 years would also likely do wonders for his leverage once those opportunities present themselves. Imagine leaving Stroud next offseason and being dropped into a position to coach a rookie QB that doesn't have Stroud's innate ability. Having a few years of tape with Stroud will be beneficial for him, not a detriment.

Demeco would be Demeco wherever he went. He would be successful. Brady, maybe not so much. IMO CJ is elevating the players around him. CJ is in a stratosphere of his own. Like Mahomes.

The point is they are better together than separate.

Demeco would have success with Denver. Stroud would have success in Indy. (I just threw up thinking about it).

But I don’t think either one would be as successful as they are today 10 games into the season and that’s because they have each other.

That’s the point. They are better together then any other place they would have gone. Not at the level we are seeing.

If the Texans continue on this trajectory - Slowik will be here at least one more season and potentially two. Most OCs hold that role for 2 to 3 years prior to being firmly on the radar for a HC position. Steichen was an interim OC and OC for the Chargers before 2 years as the OC for the Eagles. 3.5 years of OC work prior to the HC offer. I am not saying Slowik's name won't be floated, but I believe that at the earliest we would be looking at the 25/26 season as the first sans Slowik. Additionally, tying his cart to Stroud for 2/3 years would also likely do wonders for his leverage once those opportunities present themselves. Imagine leaving Stroud next offseason and being dropped into a position to coach a rookie QB that doesn't have Stroud's innate ability. Having a few years of tape with Stroud will be beneficial for him, not a detriment.
The Slowik situation will be interesting - (just assuming Texans wind up with a PO berth,) he will be on team's radars but those teams will have to determine if it was the Demeco+Stroud gloss that made him look good.

That's changing. DeMeco was a DC for one year & he was the hotest name on the market. With what Slowick is doing here with a Defensive minded hands off the offense approach, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets offers this go round. They know he can build an offense. They know he can implement game plans, they know he can call plays. They know he can overcome injuries. They know he can develop young QBs. There's not much else they need to see (assuming everything continues as it has).

That's changing. DeMeco was a DC for one year & he was the hotest name on the market. With what Slowick is doing here with a Defensive minded hands off the offense approach, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets offers this go round. They know he can build an offense. They know he can implement game plans, they know he can call plays. They know he can overcome injuries. They know he can develop young QBs. There's not much else they need to see (assuming everything continues as it has).

He was a DC for two years. He was promoted in 2021. He was the 49ers DC in the 2021/2022 season and the 2022/2023 season. He interviewed with the Vikings in 2022 but decided to return to the 49ers. I think we have a similar situation here with Slowik. He may get calls, but I feel like two years of working with Stroud and Ryans will give him the greatest leverage on the open market. Right now there is a bit of unknown to his coaching style because though he is very creative as an X/O coach, does he have that "leader of men" trait that Ryans has in spades. There is a big difference in HC duties vs playcaller. Again this is JMO and I could be completely wrong, but I feel like there are still unknowns to his duties that will work in the Texans favor.

Hail, if I was in Slowick's shoes.....I'd reach out to the Aggies. I hear the pay is really spectacular and an early retirement option should be on the table between years 3 and 5. Nothing like winning the lottery and then taking the time to think about life when there's no financial worries.

In all seriousness, Texas A&M would probably drop off their chair if Bobby Slowick even considered bringing his style of offense to the SEC. After his stints in SF and Houston, he may not have a problem getting players to come join him in College Station. There's already a pretty impressive group of athletes on the team. Maybe this would be the move to help lure Arch Manning away from the Longhorns. I read where Manning may consider the transfer portal b/c he's setting behind Ewers, and another young QB in Maalik Murphy.

It's hard to say. It is probably a combination of the two. I will go with Stroud though. My reasoning is if I had to choose tomorrow which one was going to leave the Texans I would have to let Ryans go & keep Stroud. I'm just glad I don't have to make that choice.

Until it's no longer a team sport, the entire team has the Texans ahead of schedule. That said, I haven't seen the Texans really come out flat this year. They appear to be playing at an energy level that hasn't been seen in Houston for some time now. A lot of that is coaching.

Agreed. If S2roud went to Kansas City he'd be much better than he is here. If Mahomes were here, he wouldn't have done as well as he has in KC. Hopefully Houston is becoming a well coached team like Kansas City. We'll see.
How about a more relevant and contemporary comparison : Stroud drafted by Carolina and Young drafted by the Texans. How would the two fair?

I think Slowick is still pretty wet behind the ears and other teams will see risk in that, they know that DeMeco is setting a great tone for this org and that they’ve struck gold with CJ. I’d think it will be a couple more years before we’re in danger of him being hired away.

By that point the current trajectory is that CJ will pretty much be capable of doing his thing and the job of OCing him shouldn’t be as difficult. There is also a huge queue of talented offensive minds working under Shanahan for us to hire from, as well as beginning to create our own production line.

Essentially as long as we reach a point where Slowick is getting HC opportunities, it says the org is in such a good position that it should be relatively easy to find the next man up.

As for the question of whether the success is Stroud or DeMeco, never forget that a ton of talented QBs never amount to anything in the NFL if they are drafted into bad situations.

When DeMeco rocked up back at NRG, the Texans were certainly a bad situation for a QB to be drafted into, but Ryan’s has set the tone. Both have to be great to go on to create success, they’re off to a great start.

I think Slowick is still pretty wet behind the ears and other teams will see risk in that, they know that DeMeco is setting a great tone for this org and that they’ve struck gold with CJ. I’d think it will be a couple more years before we’re in danger of him being hired away.

By that point the current trajectory is that CJ will pretty much be capable of doing his thing and the job of OCing him shouldn’t be as difficult. There is also a huge queue of talented offensive minds working under Shanahan for us to hire from, as well as beginning to create our own production line.

Essentially as long as we reach a point where Slowick is getting HC opportunities, it says the org is in such a good position that it should be relatively easy to find the next man up.

As for the question of whether the success is Stroud or DeMeco, never forget that a ton of talented QBs never amount to anything in the NFL if they are drafted into bad situations.

When DeMeco rocked up back at NRG, the Texans were certainly a bad situation for a QB to be drafted into, but Ryan’s has set the tone. Both have to be great to go on to create success, they’re off to a great start.
Slowik has been coaching 5 more years than Ryans and is the son of an NFL Coach.

Slowik has been coaching 5 more years than Ryans and is the son of an NFL Coach.
As a defensive assistant, and quality control assistant. He’s wet behind the ears having been promoted 3 years in a row from offensive assistant, passing game coordinator, and now hired away to OC of the Texans. It’s a meteoric rise but OC seems like a likely point where he stops and lays down a body of work before he gains the keys to someone’s franchise. I could be wrong.

How about a more relevant and contemporary comparison : Stroud drafted by Carolina and Young drafted by the Texans. How would the two fair?

I think Young would be doing better here because J Johnson would have corrected his footwork by now and Slowik would scheme based on his strengths. Wouldn’t be setting any records or playing at Stroud’s level but better than at Carolina.

CJ wouldn’t be setting rookie records because of Frank Reich. He is a terrible coach. But CJ would have won a few more games because he’s that good.

We struck gold with Demeco and CJ!

demeco-ryans-nfl.gif
I really hope DR is the Texans HC until he decides to retire, in 20+ years. It's impossible not to like him. I loved him as a player and love him as a coach. He brings an energy that's infectious, detailed knowledge of the game, and leadership that's off the charts.

Back