Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Game day: Texans vs Broncos

I don't get the dissatisfaction with Slowik.

We're somewhere around 9th in the league in scoring with a rookie QB, an offensive line held together by duct tape, a group of skill players no one thought was any good to begin the season but has been riddled with injuries. We've got a rookie qb who's leading the league in passing yardage.

I mean. Come on. What more do you want?
By now, even as a rookie oc, you should know what your team does well and what it doesn't. Yet he continues to run Beck out their trying to create this layer of run lane. Beck isn't even a good blocker. He's missed so many blocks. Not to mention, just like on Sunday, teams just start run blitzing. Slowik is being slow to adjust. You cannot run play action if the defense is stopping your run game with their base package. You're wasting snaps and creating a situation to get your qb hit by a unblocked defender on those playaction.

By now, even as a rookie oc, you should know what your team does well and what it doesn't. Yet he continues to run Beck out their trying to create this layer of run lane. Beck isn't even a good blocker. He's missed so many blocks. Not to mention, just like on Sunday, teams just start run blitzing. Slowik is being slow to adjust. You cannot run play action if the defense is stopping your run game with their base package. You're wasting snaps and creating a situation to get your qb hit by a unblocked defender on those playaction.

Have you considered that he does know what his team does well and what it doesn't? And he's having success because of that?

Maybe if you don't run Beck out there, then you just get your QB hit more. Beck isn't out there for his run blocking. He's out there for his pass blocking, which he's been doing a pretty good job with. But if you just run him out there for pass blocking, you're telling them you're passing when you run him out there.

Finally got to watch highlights, stupid Directv blackout!

Some adjustments i’d like to see made on offense as the year goes on:

1) Not so much an adjustment but this team really needs Noah Brown and Schultz healthy for the stretch run. Not sure how much longer Schultz is out but need that safety blanket for CJ. And Brown/Collins running slants gives deep shot opportunities for CJ.

2) Want to see Brevin Jordan more involved. He’s a talented player and as expected had his best game as a pro this week as TE1. He runs like a RB in the open field. I want to see him become a focal point in the short passing game to give the team some reliability as a chain mover when the running game isn’t working (and I don’t expect the running game to be effective with the defenses left on the schedule). Would love to see more 2 TE sets with Schultz/Jordan when Schultz returns.

A few notes from the All 22 and Texans passing game.

1. Dell put Surtain in the cooker a few times pre injury. They were giving Surtain help. So much respect for Tank.
  2. Teams are sitting on out routes. Not 1 double move ran. Is Bobby saving it for later? What are we doing...
  3. Noah Brown is a really good route runner. Creates a ton of space.
  4. Metchie needs to do a better job of sitting in space, or running away from defenders. I would put the Stroud mis throw on Metchie. I will post picture to show why Stroud threw it where and how he did. Clearly he put loft on the ball due to the underneath defender hoping Metch would recognize and adjust his route.
  5. Broncos were run blitzing 2nd and long I formation each and every time off the edge. Bobby's predictability was something Denver adjusted for at half time.
  6. Anticipation throw galore. Metchie needs to get head around, caused one incompletion, Brown, Brevin, drops. Nico had a perfect ball in the back endzone that was a drop as well. Beck drop on 3rd down.... He just has to keep running instead of jumping and using 1 hand. It was not needed.
  7. Stroud was given a 17 QBR and I am not entirely sure how its possible. It was an elite performance.
  8. Did I mention Noah Brown is a great route runnner against Zone. Sheesh.

Here is the Metchie ball. You can see him running a post in to a defender's area. Stroud saw the underneath defender and threw him away from it. John has to see the coverage when he is running down field. This reminds me an awful lot of the communication error with Robert Woods earlier in the year in the back of the endzone. They fixed it and executed perfectly sans Woods stepping out of bounds a few weeks later.

FYI- I drew two routes for John Metchie. One in which he ran and the other in which Stroud wanted him to run. I traced his route and as you can see, it was to flat.

Metch.png

Have you considered that he does know what his team does well and what it doesn't? And he's having success because of that?

Maybe if you don't run Beck out there, then you just get your QB hit more. Beck isn't out there for his run blocking. He's out there for his pass blocking, which he's been doing a pretty good job with. But if you just run him out there for pass blocking, you're telling them you're passing when you run him out there.
His pass blocking isn't good along with his awareness. He's adding another man in the box and the qb is getting hit because of it. Teams are run blitzing while he's running 3 man routes and overloading the protection. Slowik is trying to be something he's not. I'm not even going to bring up the Pierce carries

Finally got to watch highlights, stupid Directv blackout!

Some adjustments i’d like to see made on offense as the year goes on:

1) Not so much an adjustment but this team really needs Noah Brown and Schultz healthy for the stretch run. Not sure how much longer Schultz is out but need that safety blanket for CJ. And Brown/Collins running slants gives deep shot opportunities for CJ.

2) Want to see Brevin Jordan more involved. He’s a talented player and as expected had his best game as a pro this week as TE1. He runs like a RB in the open field. I want to see him become a focal point in the short passing game to give the team some reliability as a chain mover when the running game isn’t working (and I don’t expect the running game to be effective with the defenses left on the schedule). Would love to see more 2 TE sets with Schultz/Jordan when Schultz returns.
Beck doesn't need to be on the field

Slowik is calling plays like he has Kyle Jusczyk at FB. I’d say a bigger need this offseason is that premiere FB rather than RB. The offense the team runs needs a FB. Might as well get an elite one for a position most teams have forgotten about.
You can be a good running team w/o a full back. It's a out creating layers. It would also help to stop giving Pierce carries. Singletary is a better runner in this offense. Pierce isn't seeing it clearly

His pass blocking isn't good along with his awareness. He's adding another man in the box and the qb is getting hit because of it. Teams are run blitzing while he's running 3 man routes and overloading the protection. Slowik is trying to be something he's not. I'm not even going to bring up the Pierce carries
What, who is Slowik trying to be?

Slowik is calling plays like he has Kyle Jusczyk at FB. I’d say a bigger need this offseason is that premiere FB rather than RB. The offense the team runs needs a FB. Might as well get an elite one for a position most teams have forgotten about.
Hairston?

You can be a good running team w/o a full back. It's a out creating layers. It would also help to stop giving Pierce carries. Singletary is a better runner in this offense. Pierce isn't seeing it clearly
Agreed, but Singletary won't holdup very long if he's carrying the ball 25-30 times a game and catching 4-5 passes a game.

Not that in anyway should Pierce be getting be getting more touches than Singletary.

Gotta fix that this off season. It's the 2nd greatest need the team has IMHO.

Absolutely you can. But Slowik’s experience is with the Shanny offense that has a FB. Agreed on Singletary. His success when Pierce was out was not a coincidence. RBs need to get into a rhythm and neither guy can when both are healthy unfortunately.

The Texans can't be the only ones to realize that they ran much better without Beck when he was out.

Not a great athlete, not a good blocker, not good at picking up the blitz.... I don't understand it.
Give me Weeks at FB, dude is a dawg!! I bet he’d do well! But the dude is money at the long snap….
Wishful thinking

Agreed, but Singletary won't holdup very long if he's carrying the ball 25-30 times a game and catching 4-5 passes a game.

Not that in anyway should Pierce be getting be getting more touches than Singletary.

Gotta fix that this off season. It's the 2nd greatest need the team has IMHO.
Nobody can hold up with that many carries. They're not going to ever be like that imo. Devin should get the bulk. If the run the ball 25 times, he should get 16 or 17 much like he did in Buffalo. It's like Pacheco in KC, just run enough for respect.

Nobody can hold up with that many carries. They're not going to ever be like that imo. Devin should get the bulk. If the run the ball 25 times, he should get 16 or 17 much like he did in Buffalo. It's like Pacheco in KC, just run enough for respect.
A long time ago I actually did the research about RB carries and was shocked to see how rare a team with a bell cow back wins the SB.

Back