Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Post game discussion - Jags @Texans

Apples and oranges. You're complaining about the referees spot. I'm merely talking about where the ball was actually placed. Look at the film when the following play is lined up (0:47). I was referring to the black line marking the line of scrimmage which appears to be the rearward nose of the ball. However I'll give you that the forward nose of the ball is actually maybe 6" more toward the 39, let's say the 39&1 ft line. The end zone camera shot is perspective. You can't actually tell where the ball was spotted before the center handled the ball.But the ball is clearly in front of the 40 yd line. How much is questionable. Also, a center, when he puts his hands on the ball, generally moves the ball backward just a fraction as he tilts the ball up. If you scroll back just a fraction of a second you perhaps can see the frame where the ball is, just as the center is putting his hands on the ball.
That's how bad the officiating was. They can't even spot a ball correctly in a most crucial part of the game! Amedola didn't even need a yard, only a few inches

That's how bad the officiating was. They can't even spot a ball correctly in a most crucial part of the game! Amedola didn't even need a yard, only a few inches
Yeh, if we're talking about the spot, I agree it was a bad spot. The ball was clearly at the 39 at 1:03. Collins' feet were at 39 1/2.

Texans could have won the game .
One particular drive stands out for me - it was the drive late in the game where Texans needed a half yard for first down at around the Jags 30 on 3rd down and Slowik chose to throw deep on both 3rd and 4th down.
I know what I would have done - what about you?
Stroud chose to throw the ball to an open receiver. He missed the throw. There were other guys he could have thrown too and with the Texans lack of ability to throw the ball, running the ball for a 1st down wasn't a given.

I didn't think time was the issue at that point.
Get a first down and make a few yards and you put pressure on their D while giving yourself more options and chances.
Time was a factor if the goal was to get in reasonable FG range. A short run or a QB sneak would have taken time to unpile, and not left much time to get further downfield. I just believe in putting the ball in the hands of your best player. Heck, I would have passed the ball on 4th & 12 instead of going for the FG.

Time was a factor if the goal was to get in reasonable FG range. An short run or a QB sneak would have taken time to unpile, and not left much time to dt further downfield. I just believe in putting the ball in the hands of your best player. Heck, I would have passed the ball on 4th & 12 instead of going for the FG.
Even 1 yard and spike the ball with the same kick we tie the game with a chance to win in OT.

CJ was sacked 4 times and hit 7 - one of which could have been disastrous when his ankle got rolled on and he was limping for a minute.
We got to get better at protecting him.
I know one sack was on Howard and one on Tunsil. Who were the other two on?

I know one sack was on Howard and one on Tunsil. Who were the other two on?

I think one was on a blitz I thought Singletary should have picked up but he didn't even look. He just headed to the flat.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that we couldn't get pressure on Lawrence.
That has to change.

Jags lost their left tackle and we still couldn't get pressure.

Josh Allen had a career-high QB pressures against Tunsil.

We need better receivers. Tank is good. But CJ needs guys that can get separation off the line for this scheme to work. And a consistent run game to set up play action.

Online, Dline, and secondary need some better talent, too.

It's all symbiotic. Better WRs let CJ get the ball out to negate the rush. Run game makes play action work, which forces defenses into picking their poison.

It feels like the offense rarely dictates and dominates. CJ can only carry so much weight. He needs players around him that do not require him to make up their shortcomings.

All that said, this team is way ahead of even my most optimistic hopes.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Texans are still a team in the middle of rebuilding itself. We should all keep that in mind and quit expecting a few good outings to be the norm just yet, because it isn't. At the pace they're improving, I would think that next year we should be just about as competitive as anybody else. Given ofcourse we nail the draft again like we did this year.

Quit expecting to much to soon, because it isn't going to happen. But with DeMeco and Stroud it will happen, just probably not this year.

Texans are still a team in the middle of rebuilding itself. We should all keep that in mind and quit expecting a few good outings to be the norm just yet, because it isn't. At the pace they're improving, I would think that next year we should be just about as competitive as anybody else. Given ofcourse we nail the draft again like we did this year.

Quit expecting to much to soon, because it isn't going to happen. But with DeMeco and Stroud it will happen, just probably not this year.

If the playoffs are in sight the the fans should push their expectations up because you know the players have. The players see the chance at playoffs so we should too.

We are done with the rebuild. That ended the moment we said we are fighting for playoffs this year.

This off-season we adding pieces not for a rebuild - but to make a deep playoff push.

If the playoffs are in sight the the fans should push their expectations up because you know the players have. The players see the chance at playoffs so we should too.

We are done with the rebuild. That ended the moment we said we are fighting for playoffs this year.

This off-season we adding pieces not for a rebuild - but to make a deep playoff push.
I like this mindset.

I'm curious to see the coverage by the Jags secondary. On too many instances, CJ had plenty of time and he never pulled the trigger. Was no one open? The old all-22 would allow you to manipulate views of the plays yourself, the new version sucks.
Cj plays with so much anticipation that it's hard to tell what he calls "open"

I know Josh Allen is a dude, but Tunsil is supposed to be as well. Hopefully he's still having issues with his knee & that explains his performance, but this was a bad game for him.

You thought he played badly.

Tytus Howard was repeatedly getting destroyed within a second by there DL. He was responsible for several broken plays. I have to assume his nagging injury was the culprit.

But I have some GREAT news.

Juice Scruggs Pass PRO was MUCH better than Howards. It sounds crazy, but the Texans got an upgrade in Pro there.

I watched it again. I still see him begin to indicate catch but Number19 was not wrong. The ref was motioning above his head.

Also… it seems to me that the ref said… “do not rule that a catch”… to the other ref.
He didn’t have time to motion it as catch. Because the other ref was running full speed to tell him it wasn’t. The official closest to play hesitated

You thought he played badly.

Tytus Howard was repeatedly getting destroyed within a second by there DL. He was responsible for several broken plays. I have to assume his nagging injury was the culprit.

But I have some GREAT news.

Juice Scruggs Pass PRO was MUCH better than Howards. It sounds crazy, but the Texans got an upgrade in Pro there.
Scruggs also better in run blocking.

Against the Jags the run blocking grades were: Tunsil (65.3) ; Scruggs (61.8) ; Deiter (65.0) ; Mason (61.1) ; Fant (38.0).

Pass blocking : Tunsil (71.7) ; Scruggs (56.5) ; Deiter (52.3) ; Mason (64.3) ; Fant (73.8).

I don't need to see Tavierre Thomas anymore. Yeah he got jobbed by the refs on 2 straight horrid PI calls but, he's just not good in that slot CB position against smaller & quicker guys. Funny thing is, Thomas is supposed to be in there b/c of how useful he is against the run being a bigger guy, but Desmond King came up with perhaps the biggest hit of the game when he stopped Etienne cold on the 4th & goal right before the half. I didn't even know we'd got King back until that play lol. He needs to be our nickel guy..Thomas can get on that pine.

Singletary needs to be the starter. Love Pierce but its clear Singletary is the better fit.

Tootoo - is not a starter.

Pitre is not a cover safety. 3 weeks back to back where teams have targeted him. This week he got lucky that the refs were ass cheeks and Stingley was behind him to snag that pick. Otherwise, that was a terrible display of coverage.

Slowik. I love Tank, I think he & CJ have ridiculous chemistry, but i feel like we're targeting him too much at the expense of other guys who could help keep defenses off balance. Schultz has completely disappeared in the offense over the last 2 games and Nico until the 2nd half of yesterday's game had also disappeared. I'd also like to see more targets for Metchie & Hutchinson. I know there's only 1 ball, but i just feel like there are times our offense bogs down b/c we're looking for him too much. Maybe its CJ and not Slowik targeting him so much but whomever it is, they need to adjust.

Also for all the greatness that CJ has exhibited over this season, he has to work on his deep ball & he HAS to learn how to throw it away. That last drive he took some pretty awful sacks. and considering that Amendola missed by literally inches, perhaps just eliminating 1 of those sacks, might've had him closer to his comfort zone and we're able to tie it up & go to OT.

WAJ/Greenard...come on fellas. That game was ours for the taking if just 1 of you showed up in the 1st half. Greenard in particular has been absent since the Carolina game..I can't think of a single impact play run or pass that he's made since that game. WAJ is drawing most of the doubles and chips so Greenard should be able to tee off and he's not showing up to make the opposition pay for that.

Demeco - little too aggressive too early in the 4th. I would've liked to see him punt it on that drive before the TD drive in the 4th qtr that got us to within 3.

Last edited:
Scruggs also better in run blocking.

Against the Jags the run blocking grades were: Tunsil (65.3) ; Scruggs (61.8) ; Deiter (65.0) ; Mason (61.1) ; Fant (38.0).

Pass blocking : Tunsil (71.7) ; Scruggs (56.5) ; Deiter (52.3) ; Mason (64.3) ; Fant (73.8).

PFF is borderline one of us grading it out.

I watched all of CJ's Pass pro. Scruggs had two plays where the DL got under his pads, but the ball was long gone or he slowed them up enough. He shut down there tackle that was abusing Howard. It was much much better than Howard.

We're done with the rebuild?? LMAO.
Expectations are one thing. Living in fantasy land is another. This team won 3 games last year. This year they've got a QB playing at a level NO ONE expected. Sure, being in the chase at the end of November is fun and exciting but expecting that this team is a legit playoff contender is really going above and beyond. And this team is FAR from the rebuilding being done.

The Texans played the NFC South this year, a division whose leader right now is 5-6, clearly the worst division in the league, and the Texans go 2-2 against them. Hell, they're 1-2 against their own division so far. They ain't there yet.

He didn’t have time to motion it as catch. Because the other ref was running full speed to tell him it wasn’t. The official closest to play hesitated
You see what you want to see. But the second ref was also waving his hands over his head as he was running toward the spot. The first ref motioned with his left hand and fingers for a conference. They put their heads together a couple of seconds, the second ref shakes his head ever so slightly, before the first ref then signals incomplete followed by the second ref signaling out of bounds. There was never any indication first ref signaled completion and was overruled. In fact, first ref had his whistle in his mouth until shortly before conferring with second ref.

My take is the first ref made the call after confirming with second ref. First ref was 6 yds from the catch. Second ref was out of the picture at the 31, 20 yds away.

I don't need to see Tavierre Thomas anymore. Yeah he got jobbed by the refs on 2 straight horrid PI calls but, he's just not good in that slot CB position against smaller & quicker guys. Funny thing is, Thomas is supposed to be in there b/c of how useful he is against the run being a bigger guy, but Desmond King came up with perhaps the biggest hit of the game when he stopped Etienne cold on the 4th & goal right before the half. I didn't even know we'd got King back until that play lol. He needs to be our nickel guy..Thomas can get on that pine.

Singletary needs to be the starter. Love Pierce but its clear Singletary is the better fit.

Tootoo - is not a starter.

Pitre is not a cover safety. 3 weeks back to back where teams have targeted him. This week he got lucky that the refs were ass cheeks and Stingley was behind him to snag that pick. Otherwise, that was a terrible display of coverage.

Slowik. I love Tank, I think he & CJ have ridiculous chemistry, but i feel like we're targeting him too much at the expense of other guys who could help keep defenses off balance. Schultz has completely disappeared in the offense over the last 2 games and Nico until the 2nd half of yesterday's game had also disappeared. I'd also like to see more targets for Metchie & Hutchinson. I know there's only 1 ball, but i just feel like there are times our offense bogs down b/c we're looking for him too much. Maybe its CJ and not Slowik targeting him so much but whomever it is, they need to adjust.

Also for all the greatness that CJ has exhibited over this season, he has to work on his deep ball & he HAS to learn how to throw it away. That last drive he took some pretty awful sacks. and considering that Amendola missed by literally inches, perhaps just eliminating 1 of those sacks, might've had him closer to his comfort zone and we're able to tie it up & go to OT.

WAJ/Greenard...come on fellas. That game was ours for the taking if just 1 of you showed up in the 1st half. Greenard in particular has been absent since the Carolina game..I can't think of a single impact play run or pass that he's made since that game. WAJ is drawing most of the doubles and chips so Greenard should be able to tee off and he's not showing up to make the opposition pay for that.

Demeco - little too aggressive too early in the 4th. I would've liked to see him punt it on that drive before the TD drive in the 4th qtr that got us to within 3.
Agree about everything but Thomas. He's been good this yr and like you said got jobbed yesterday. All of the secondary guys have been weak, I think they will look much better when Ward gets healthy. TooToo isn't a starter but he's a good depth piece.

You see what you want to see. But the second ref was also waving his hands over his head as he was running toward the spot. The first ref motioned with his left hand and fingers for a conference. They put their heads together a couple of seconds, the second ref shakes his head ever so slightly, before the first ref then signals incomplete followed by the second ref signaling out of bounds. There was never any indication first ref signaled completion and was overruled. In fact, first ref had his whistle in his mouth until shortly before conferring with second ref.

My take is the first ref made the call after confirming with second ref. First ref was 6 yds from the catch. Second ref was out of the picture at the 31, 20 yds away.
Bottom line is they missed the call and replay should've overturned the call, but for reasons unknown didn't.

Bottom line is they missed the call and replay should've overturned the call, but for reasons unknown didn't.
Well, my TV is a rather old 4k. Don't know what the networks have or what superior resolution shows, but the replay stop action on my TV is not conclusive enough to overturn.

PFF is borderline one of us grading it out.

I watched all of CJ's Pass pro. Scruggs had two plays where the DL got under his pads, but the ball was long gone or he slowed them up enough. He shut down there tackle that was abusing Howard. It was much much better than Howard.

The only thing i take even remotely serious having to do with PFF is this guy...1701119185863.png . Everything else about that shitty website is trash imo.

The only thing i take even remotely serious having to do with PFF is this guy...View attachment 13129 . Everything else about that shitty website is trash imo.
Well, I for one don't have the time or means or expertise to watch and grade every single player, every single play in every single game, and then rate the players accordingly.

Agree about everything but Thomas. He's been good this yr and like you said got jobbed yesterday. All of the secondary guys have been weak, I think they will look much better when Ward gets healthy. TooToo isn't a starter but he's a good depth piece.

Ehh, no. There have been 2 liabilities in the secondary this year, Pitre is 1, Thomas is the other. Yesterday was probably Nelson's worst game of the season mostly b/c of the 1 big play he gave up to Kirk & Stingley, while he missed a ton of games, since he's been back, he's been pretty solid creating TO's and coming up with big pass defenses late when they've needed them.

No DB is gonna be perfect and not give up a few catches here and there, its the big plays you gotta limit & Thomas is giving up way too many big plays. I get it, he got jobbed on at least 1 of those PI's, but the other was legit and of course the TD pass on 4th freakin down...it was just too damn easy for Lawrence.

1- The refs were atrocious. The phantom defensive holding call on Nelson on 3rd and long in the 3rd Q changed the game. We were getting the ball back. Jags went down and scored. That was a horse manure call.
2- Stroud took too many sacks today.
3- I didn’t like the back to back long pass plays on 3rd and 4th down, BUT Schultz had his man beat bad. Should have been a completion.
4- The Oline got it handed to them today.
5- Scruggs held his own for the most part
6- The defense today was the worst I’ve seen. Sunshine went for almost 400.
7- see #6, Texans D gave up big play after big play.7 or 8 plays of over 40 yards for the Jags.
8- The refs changed the outcome of that game
9- That last series if Stroud can step up in the pocket and still get sacked, it goes to OT. Tough play though
Even the simping commentators couldn't justify the holding call on Nelson.

I cant figure out how sports like tennis can show you EXACTLY where the ball hit to see if it was in or out…but the most watched sport with a ton of cameras and views and angles cant ever seem to be able to tell you if the line of gain was reached, goal line plane was broken, or if a WR’s feet are down in bounds….thats just mind boggling to me considering the insane amount of $ the league makes…

They have RFID chips in every NFL ball already, started in 2015, they're just not using it the way they could. The USFL uses laser tech (Bolt6) to check spots to the millimeter after the refs spot it. Its a very valid question as to why they're not using the tech that is out there and IN USE right now. Makes you wonder.......

We're done with the rebuild?? LMAO.
Expectations are one thing. Living in fantasy land is another. This team won 3 games last year. This year they've got a QB playing at a level NO ONE expected. Sure, being in the chase at the end of November is fun and exciting but expecting that this team is a legit playoff contender is really going above and beyond. And this team is FAR from the rebuilding being done.

The Texans played the NFC South this year, a division whose leader right now is 5-6, clearly the worst division in the league, and the Texans go 2-2 against them. Hell, they're 1-2 against their own division so far. They ain't there yet.
Thank you Speedy !
I appreciate the optimistic comments from some of the other posters but time to come back down to earth fellas and lose the pollyana mentality because we've still got work to do: the Jags have completed their rebuild and are now a P/O team & contender whereas we are in full rebuild mode.
One big thing we have on them as Speedy pointed out CJ's development is happening much more rapidly than Lawrence's did.

Does anyone have all 22 and can comment on Dell's illegal shift penalty.

On the TV, to start the play, there is a tight shot of Texans #70 (Scruggs) and Jags #95. Someone then crosses the screen in motion just behind the OL. It's blurry and you can't read a number.

The TV shot then switches to full field view with Dell in motion.. The H-back is set on the right.

Could the blurry in motion player have been the H-back changing sides from the left to the right?

If two players go in motion, then BOTH must come to a set position for 1 sec. Dell never comes to a set position.

So, does the all 22 show the H-back as the second player in motion?

This explanation is the only thing which makes any sense.

Does anyone have all 22 and can comment on Dell's illegal shift penalty.

On the TV, to start the play, there is a tight shot of Texans #70 (Scruggs) and Jags #95. Someone then crosses the screen in motion just behind the OL. It's blurry and you can't read a number.

The TV shot then switches to full field view with Dell in motion.. The H-back is set on the right.

Could the blurry in motion player have been the H-back changing sides from the left to the right?

If two players go in motion, then BOTH must come to a set position for 1 sec. Dell never comes to a set position.

So, does the all 22 show the H-back as the second player in motion?

This explanation is the only thing which makes any sense.

Nico Collins never finished getting set once Dell started his motion. Extremely ticky tack.

Last edited:
They have RFID chips in every NFL ball already, started in 2015, they're just not using it the way they could. The USFL uses laser tech (Bolt6) to check spots to the millimeter after the refs spot it. Its a very valid question as to why they're not using the tech that is out there and IN USE right now. Makes you wonder.......
It's much harder to rig games when technology is used correctly.

Ehh, no. There have been 2 liabilities in the secondary this year, Pitre is 1, Thomas is the other. Yesterday was probably Nelson's worst game of the season mostly b/c of the 1 big play he gave up to Kirk & Stingley, while he missed a ton of games, since he's been back, he's been pretty solid creating TO's and coming up with big pass defenses late when they've needed them.

No DB is gonna be perfect and not give up a few catches here and there, its the big plays you gotta limit & Thomas is giving up way too many big plays. I get it, he got jobbed on at least 1 of those PI's, but the other was legit and of course the TD pass on 4th freakin down...it was just too damn easy for Lawrence.
I will admit I'm terrible at evaluating CB play.

Nico Collins never finished going set once Dell started his motion. Extremely ticky tack.
If Dell starts in motion before Collins is set, this is not ticky tak, it's a mistake that Dell must correct.

Terrible play to learn from.

Am I the only one who gets extremely nervous every time CJ does that spin around in the pocket? It might be an effective move when you're in the grasp of a defender, but he does it often with the slightest hint of pressure. It seems like a lot of wasted motion which gives defenders more time to close in.

Back