Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Post game discussion - Jags @Texans

Does anyone have all 22 and can comment on Dell's illegal shift penalty.

On the TV, to start the play, there is a tight shot of Texans #70 (Scruggs) and Jags #95. Someone then crosses the screen in motion just behind the OL. It's blurry and you can't read a number.

The TV shot then switches to full field view with Dell in motion.. The H-back is set on the right.

Could the blurry in motion player have been the H-back changing sides from the left to the right?

If two players go in motion, then BOTH must come to a set position for 1 sec. Dell never comes to a set position.

So, does the all 22 show the H-back as the second player in motion?

This explanation is the only thing which makes any sense.

Nico Collins never finished going set once Dell started his motion. Extremely ticky tack.

I posted this elsewhere, but again.. no one was moving whatsoever except Dell, and he was moving horizontally until after the ball was snapped.

It was clear b.s.

I posted this elsewhere, but again.. no one was moving whatsoever except Dell, and he was moving horizontally until after the ball was snapped.

It was clear b.s.

Are you basing your opinion on something other than the broadcast TV or the clips you attached? That shows Dell already in motion on the left hash marks right in front of Stroud. You need the video of the 2 or 3 or 4 seconds prior to this to see if the H-back or Collins had or had not been set before Dell started in motion.

All players must come to line and be set in the formation before Dell starts in motion. This is basic. This was a.tough play for Dell to learn the hard way.

93efa9c33d56fda6e44cb4d41174f33b.jpg

36d2f8a4f826fdfe9c25edd5e9cae876.jpg

Looks to me like they lost a yard.

Not only that but unless I'm seeing something not there since when do they set up eight yards back? It’s normally seven. This game was just an odd CF all around....

Last edited:
If the playoffs are in sight the the fans should push their expectations up because you know the players have. The players see the chance at playoffs so we should too.

We are done with the rebuild. That ended the moment we said we are fighting for playoffs this year.

This off-season we adding pieces not for a rebuild - but to make a deep playoff push.

Yup. Just because we're rebuilding doesn't mean we can't be annoyed, furious, critical, analytical, etc. This team is like 10 points away from being 9-2! 9-2 bruh!

I say it's open season and we should make sure to capitalize.

IIRC someone said that it was due to Dell moving forward to the LOS before the ball was snapped but my lord it would've been a millisecond move, and the flag was way late.....

I don't think Dell was at the LOS by the time the ball was snapped. Even if he was, it couldn't have affected the game play. That's something a ref should account for when deciding whether to take away a 60 yard completion. And if a ref does make that decision, he has some explaining to do.

I don't think Dell was at the LOS by the time the ball was snapped. Even if he was, it couldn't have affected the game play. That's something a ref should account for when deciding whether to take away a 60 yard completion. And if a ref does make that decision, he has some explaining to do.
A player in motion cannot be moving toward the los when the ball is snapped. This is not the case. Dell did not turn toward the los until the ball was in Stroud's hands. This is easily seen on the TV feed. If this is indeed the explanation, then I agree this was a BS call.

It was clear b.s.

I'm with you I didn't like the call, but that clip doesn't show the entire play (from when Dell starts in motion) Dell began his motion before Collins was set... I believe that is what they called. e.g. Nico's foot is still going back (not set) when Dell starts to move... it's milliseconds.

Not my best grab, but no more time to mess with it tonight. New all 22 is horrible - makes it more difficult to get screen grabs of the plays.

Am I the only one who gets extremely nervous every time CJ does that spin around in the pocket? It might be an effective move when you're in the grasp of a defender, but he does it often with the slightest hint of pressure. It seems like a lot of wasted motion which gives defenders more time to close in.

It did before I realized how athletic he was. He’s elusive.

Am I the only one who gets extremely nervous every time CJ does that spin around in the pocket? It might be an effective move when you're in the grasp of a defender, but he does it often with the slightest hint of pressure. It seems like a lot of wasted motion which gives defenders more time to close in.
I am hoping CJ teaches a spin move to Will Anderson.

I'm with you I didn't like the call, but that clip doesn't show the entire play (from when Dell starts in motion) Dell began his motion before Collins was set... I believe that is what they called. e.g. Nico's foot is still going back (not set) when Dell starts to move... it's milliseconds.

Not my best grab, but no more time to mess with it tonight. New all 22 is horrible - makes it more difficult to get screen grabs of the plays.

Thanks for posting, to my old eyeballs it looks like Dell takes off once Nico sets the back foot but Whatever, it’s over now.

Well, regardless of who we are playing, I always wish for a game free of injuries, with minimal impact by the officials. While both teams had a couple of players affected by injury, unfortunately my wish regarding referee non-involvement didn't pan out. However....

Was there some blatant uncalled holding? Yes, by both teams. Were there some egregious PI calls/no calls? Yes, on both teams. Overall, tho, even on penalties,
Houston only had 1 more penalty than the Jags.

None of that ultimately decided the game. Stroud took too many bad sacks at the wrong times, Texans play calling was situationally bad, Texans never pressured Lawrence, Jags hit big pass plays and shut down the Texans non-QB running game. Trying an unreasonably long FG at the end when 4th and 12 looked more promising was a mistake. Jags not taking the FG at the end of the 1st half was a mistake. Ridley dropping a TD pass was a mistake. Those were the major reasons for the close win, IMHO.

You guys only have 2 more games you could possibly lose, the Colts and the Broncos. I can see you at 10 - 7 without a lot of effort. Plenty of season left.

Last edited:
It did before I realized how athletic he was. He’s elusive.
One broadcaster commented that CJ Stroud reminded him of Fran Tarkenton moving in the pocket. I was a young fan when he played but yeah, he was elusive and bought time with his legs. Which was what I thought Bryce Young would be not CJ.

A player in motion cannot be moving toward the los when the ball is snapped. This is not the case. Dell did not turn toward the los until the ball was in Stroud's hands. This is easily seen on the TV feed. If this is indeed the explanation, then I agree this was a BS call.

The explanation I heard today was that Nico was not set for a full second before Dell went in motion. Ok fine, then flag it when the ball is snapped and don't wait until the play has been fully executed and the offense has revealed their hand. It didn't affect the play anyway, which is why Tyreek Hill gets away with it every week.

Simply put, you don't take away 60 yards on inconsequential ticky-tack stuff because you couldn't get your flag out sooner.

With no run game, both lines getting their asses kicked, an off-the-couch kicker, a secondary getting torched, and some questionable playcalling, we were a bad spot on the last play from taking the refs and a playoff team to overtime.

Well, regardless of who we are playing, I always wish for a game free of injuries, with minimal impact by the officials. While both teams had a couple of players affected by injury, unfortunately my wish regarding referee non-involvement didn't pan out. However....

Was there some blatant uncalled holding? Yes, by both teams. Were there some egregious PI calls/no calls? Yes, on both teams. Overall, tho, even on penalties,
Houston only had 1 more penalty than the Jags.

None of that ultimately decided the game. Stroud took too many bad sacks at the wrong times, Texans play calling was situationally bad, Texans never pressured Lawrence, Jags hit big pass plays and shut down the Texans non-QB running game. Trying an unreasonably long FG at the end when 4th and 12 looked more promising was a mistake. Jags not taking the FG at the end of the 1st half was a mistake. Ridley dropping a TD pass was a mistake. Those were the major reasons for the close win, IMHO.

You guys only have 2 more games you could possibly lose, the Colts and the Broncos. I can see you at 10 - 7 without a lot of effort. Plenty of season left.

If you're trying to make the case that the bad calls impacted both teams evenly, then you watched a different game.

Four PI's against the Texans were on 3rd down, three of which were nonexistent ghost PI's, and two of those gave the Jags a 1st and goal. Go watch the ghost PI in the end zone to see how bad it was. There's a reason the broadcast wouldn't replay it.

Not to mention the two critical catches by Tank Dell in FG range that were reversed.

I don't expect any opposing fan to answer for bad officiating, but please don't come here blowing smoke about the impact being even. The Jags suffered one bad non-call, so now we have to listen to Jags and media pretend it made up for the Texans getting screwed the entire game.

Last edited:
I've been wan

I've been wanting Slowik to use that motion for weeks. Honestly, I cannot see any difference between the way Dell went in motion versus what Hill and Deebo are doing in this video.

If you're trying to make the case that the bad calls impacted both teams evenly, then you watched a different game.

Four PI's against the Texans were on 3rd down, three of which were nonexistent ghost PI's, and two of those gave the Jags a 1st and goal. Go watch the ghost PI in the end zone to see how bad it was. There's a reason the broadcast wouldn't replay it.

Not to mention the two critical catches by Tank Dell in FG range that were reversed.

I don't expect any opposing fan to answer for bad officiating, but please don't come here blowing smoke about the impact being even. The Jags suffered one bad non-call, so now we have to listen to Jags and media pretend it made up for the Texans getting screwed the entire game.
Well said brother.

A couple of comments mentioned that Collins was not set when Dell started upfield. Looking at how Miami runs this motion, it seems they are avoiding this penalty by only having one player in motion. Maybe this will be a lesson learned for Slowik.

We're done with the rebuild?? LMAO.
Expectations are one thing. Living in fantasy land is another. This team won 3 games last year. This year they've got a QB playing at a level NO ONE expected. Sure, being in the chase at the end of November is fun and exciting but expecting that this team is a legit playoff contender is really going above and beyond. And this team is FAR from the rebuilding being done.

The Texans played the NFC South this year, a division whose leader right now is 5-6, clearly the worst division in the league, and the Texans go 2-2 against them. Hell, they're 1-2 against their own division so far. They ain't there yet.

Thank you Speedy !
I appreciate the optimistic comments from some of the other posters but time to come back down to earth fellas and lose the pollyana mentality because we've still got work to do: the Jags have completed their rebuild and are now a P/O team & contender whereas we are in full rebuild mode.
One big thing we have on them as Speedy pointed out CJ's development is happening much more rapidly than Lawrence's did.

Disagree.

A playoff team to me is what the Texans were under Kubiak and OB. (Except the year Schaub got the lisfranc injury. That was our one year we could have won the whole thing) All those years we could win the AFC South, maybe a wild card game, but that’s it. That’s a playoff team.

We have a top 5 QB in the league. A coach that players would die for. Money to spend this off season. And draft picks to fill any other holes. A GM that find players in FA and the draft.

We are talking playoffs this season. We have a roster built to make the playoffs this year. That may have not been the expectation this year, but when you exceed your goals you need to adjust them to the new reality. New reality is this year we are contenders for the AFC South, and a possible wild card. That’s how good we are now. We should be better next season with all the stuff I mentioned. We shouldn’t say “oh well we exceed expectations last year so we should lower them next year.” That is what I am getting from y’all and to me that is a loser mentality or someone that’s scared to risk it all.

A rebuilding team to me is just trying to get a winning record. We are past that. Our goal from here on out is to win the AFC South. There was nothing in the last game that showed me the Jaguars are a far superior team.

Are we a contender for the Super Bowl - No. Will we be next year? Probably not but it depends how the off-season goes. I could see Caserio finding some diamonds in the draft and FA. But at a minimum we should be a perennial playoff team here on out. And our goal next year is to be a division banner. See if we can win more than a wild card game. And in 2025 we should have the goal of getting to the Superbowl. At that time be what the Chiefs and Eagles are.

Probably the next sports personality here on 610.

Thanks for the all 22. It's consistent with what I've been saying, and I also agree that it's a ticky tak call, especially considering how refs are letting OTs get early movement on their pass sets. It's inconconsistant.

Now, for a second.point that has been raised - they should have called the play dead before the play played out. This has never been the case. You see it a lot on penalties when qbs, especially, have a free pass. In this case, had the pass been incomplete, the Jags could have rejected the penalty and taken the play.

As ticky tak as the penalty was, it was still legitimate.

The explanation I heard today was that Nico was not set for a full second before Dell went in motion. Ok fine, then flag it when the ball is snapped and don't wait until the play has been fully executed and the offense has revealed their hand. It didn't affect the play anyway, which is why Tyreek Hill gets away with it every week.

Simply put, you don't take away 60 yards on inconsequential ticky-tack stuff because you couldn't get your flag out sooner.
Referees have to let the play play out. I know you've seen penalties called when qbs have a free pass. In our case, had the pass been incomplete, the Jags could have rejected the penalty and taken the play.

I've looked at three disputed plays in detail. They've been discussed here. In each case I may not have liked the way the calls went against the Texans, but the calls were legitimate.

I think what we are looking at are what is being called "ticky tak" calls. Calls which are technically correct, but which are inconsistently called between teams or players, or from game to game; and which often make a difference in the outcome.

These ticky tak calls give the game, and the NFL, an appearance of favoritism, for a myriad of reasons, at best; and corruption at worst. While tolerated in the past, now that the NFL has crawled into bed with the gambling industry, the NFL is heading toward the iceburg.

I have not rewatched the game yet but just going by memory the announcer said that someone else was in motion at the same time off camera. He claimed the penalty was for having 2 players in motion at the same time.

I have not rewatched the game yet but just going by memory the announcer said that someone else was in motion at the same time off camera. He claimed the penalty was for having 2 players in motion at the same time.

The announcer say there “may” have been someone off screen that we can’t see.

There was no evidence that seen at the time and announcers were just assuming.

Just like the one of the pass interference calls. They showed a replay and didn’t see anything and said it may have happened earlier.

Consistency of calls is the NFL only hope. If it is a penalty for one team then it has to be a penalty for the other. In this high tech age people are able to pick the game apart with a fine tooth comb. They will find the inconsistencies. It looks bad when most of the 'ticky-tack' calls go against one team.

I really don't believe in the games being fixed. If I truly did then I would quit watching. Who wants to watch a sport where the outcome is already decided. But the Texans were absolutely robbed in this game.

This was one of the poorest officiated games I have seen. The refs have to be made permanent employees so that there are repercussions when something like this happens.

I normally try to take up for the refs. I have a son that was an Olympic level judo referee before he retired & I know how hard he worked & how much crap he had to put up with. But there is no defense for the total incompetence these refs displayed.

Sorry for the rant. I will get off my soapbox now.

I believe this explanation has been discounted. But in the all 222osted above, you can see that Dell started in motion a millisecond before Collins had been set for 1 second, which is required by the rules. Ticky tak, but legitimate.

The way he moves around the pocket is his biggest weakness for me. The retreat and/or spin method are causing extra yardage losses on the sacks he does take. I am not focused enough to see if he has a place to step up when does those moves, but clearly 15 yard sacks are too much of a thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB
Disagree.

A playoff team to me is what the Texans were under Kubiak and OB. (Except the year Schaub got the lisfranc injury. That was our one year we could have won the whole thing) All those years we could win the AFC South, maybe a wild card game, but that’s it. That’s a playoff team.

We have a top 5 QB in the league. A coach that players would die for. Money to spend this off season. And draft picks to fill any other holes. A GM that find players in FA and the draft.

We are talking playoffs this season. We have a roster built to make the playoffs this year. That may have not been the expectation this year, but when you exceed your goals you need to adjust them to the new reality. New reality is this year we are contenders for the AFC South, and a possible wild card. That’s how good we are now. We should be better next season with all the stuff I mentioned. We shouldn’t say “oh well we exceed expectations last year so we should lower them next year.” That is what I am getting from y’all and to me that is a loser mentality or someone that’s scared to risk it all.

A rebuilding team to me is just trying to get a winning record. We are past that. Our goal from here on out is to win the AFC South. There was nothing in the last game that showed me the Jaguars are a far superior team.

Are we a contender for the Super Bowl - No. Will we be next year? Probably not but it depends how the off-season goes. I could see Caserio finding some diamonds in the draft and FA. But at a minimum we should be a perennial playoff team here on out. And our goal next year is to be a division banner. See if we can win more than a wild card game. And in 2025 we should have the goal of getting to the Superbowl. At that time be what the Chiefs and Eagles are.
I get what you're saying and if you remember correctly I said three years ago that it would take the Texans 3 years to become contenders. I expected them to be a fringe playoff team this year and a true contender next yr. They're a yr behind schedule.

The past 2 years Culley was supposed to be the HC during the rebuild yrs but he wouldn't go along with the plan. So you got Lovie. Caserio has spent the last 3 years gathering talent which was hard to do with the coaching changes and changing schemes.

The 2 yrs before this yr the team was being built for Ryans to come in and put the finishing touches on the rebuild. Because of the coaching changes the finishing touches on the rebuild will be added this off-season. This doesn't mean that they shouldn't be a playoff team this year. I could see them making the playoffs and even winning a game depending on who they're matched up against and the health of the team.

Thanks for the all 22. It's consistent with what I've been saying, and I also agree that it's a ticky tak call, especially considering how refs are letting OTs get early movement on their pass sets. It's inconconsistant.

Now, for a second.point that has been raised - they should have called the play dead before the play played out. This has never been the case. You see it a lot on penalties when qbs, especially, have a free pass. In this case, had the pass been incomplete, the Jags could have rejected the penalty and taken the play.

As ticky tak as the penalty was, it was still legitimate.
Yes it was a tricky tack call. It was probably 4th or 5th on the list of Ricky tack or bad calls that went against the Texans. If you believe that's a coincidence then I've got some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you. Look at the odds of the Jags winning the division vs the odds of the Texans winning the division before the season started if you want an answer for why that game was called the way it was. Vegas/ TV runs the NFL these days. It's why they've changed so many rules to make things more subjective so the refs can control the outcomes of games. This has been going on for years but it's only gotten worse over the last 3-4 years.

Look at last years Chiefs/Bengals playoff game to see what the NFL is really all about. Only a fool would bet their hard earned money on a NFL game.

Two days later, and I'm still pissed about the officiating. Usually, I see a bad call, I cuss it out...and then let it go. It usually works outself out in the wash. But this crew was so awful overall, and so obviously focused on the Texans DB's in particular that it cannot be overlooked. To hell with letting this go - I want a full-scale Congressional investigation. Give me the FBI, CIA, and CyOps! I will not let this go! I will die with this ****. My epitaph and tombstone will say F*** the Refs - 11/26/23

Yes it was a tricky tack call. It was probably 4th or 5th on the list of Ricky tack or bad calls that went against the Texans. If you believe that's a coincidence then I've got some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you. Look at the odds of the Jags winning the division vs the odds of the Texans winning the division before the season started if you want an answer for why that game was called the way it was. Vegas/ TV runs the NFL these days. It's why they've changed so many rules to make things more subjective so the refs can control the outcomes of games. This has been going on for years but it's only gotten worse over the last 3-4 years.

Look at last years Chiefs/Bengals playoff game to see what the NFL is really all about. Only a fool would bet their hard earned money on a NFL game.
Can you prove what you are claiming? Of course you can not. It's only your opinion. I don't necessarily disagree, but since there's nothing to be done, I don't go there. Not worth the aggravation.

But the NFL has poked the hornets' nest when they climbed in bed with the gambling industry. There's already one law suit been filed for misconduct. If sucessful, more will follow. When the NFL begins to be held liable for a.dirty game, then changes will follow. It's all about the.money.

I don't buy the rigged thing. What I do buy is that some officials have a big ego, and think they are more important than the players on the field. They look for a reason to throw the laundry at key moments. We've got replay for scoring plays as it is - why the hell can we not have official reviews from "the mothership" when they see an obvious bad call that directly impacts the game in crucial moments - scoring plays, etc.

Hell what do I know. They can't even decide what a catch is anymore. If you can't see two feet down and possession with that Tank Dell sideline catch...maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. Perhaps recruiting replay officials from the Helen Keller College of Laser Surgeons was a bad idea after all.

I don't buy the rigged thing. What I do buy is that some officials have a big ego, and think they are more important than the players on the field. They look for a reason to throw the laundry at key moments. We've got replay for scoring plays as it is - why the hell can we not have official reviews from "the mothership" when they see an obvious bad call that directly impacts the game in crucial moments - scoring plays, etc.

Hell what do I know. They can't even decide what a catch is anymore. If you can't see two feet down and possession with that Tank Dell sideline catch...maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. Perhaps recruiting replay officials from the Helen Keller College of Laser Surgeons was a bad idea after all.
Doug Peterson called Dell out of bounds. You disagree. So how should the refs decide? The play was inconclusive from the video feeds - until the still pboto surfaced hours later.

Meanwhile every ticky tack call and even close sideline catches that weren't overruled went against the Texans. Too Too was blocked to the ground with the ball in the air.

Y'all still think this game wasn't rigged. Ryans can send a library of calls like this to God'ell and it wont matter. Why? because the NFL has partnered with Vegas and Vegas losses big money if the Texans win the division.

It's rigged games like this that makes me want Lawrence to go down for 4-5 weeks and Vegas loses their azz despite the NFL, Vegas attempt to cheat.

They did last night I believe. One of the receivers caught a pass for the Vikings. He got hit immediately but it didn’t look like he was down. He ended up gaining a total 17 yards. They moved ball to that spot. As the offense was lining up, the officials blew the whistle. They must’ve received a call. The Bears didn’t throw in the red flag. After going through the review, the receivers knee touched the turf. So they marched them back whipping away the first down and making it third and 6.

Meanwhile every ticky tack call and even close sideline catches that weren't overruled went against the Texans. Too Too was blocked to the ground with the ball in the air.

Y'all still think this game wasn't rigged. Ryans can send a library of calls like this to God'ell and it wont matter. Why? because the NFL has partnered with Vegas and Vegas losses big money if the Texans win the division.

It's rigged games like this that makes me want Lawrence to go down for 4-5 weeks and Vegas loses their azz despite the NFL, Vegas attempt to cheat.
Yeah the game was clearly rigged IMO, even though we had a shot to upset Vegas and it’s crooked league. They didn’t want the Texans to win period. They didn’t expect us to be this good and this good this fast.

Doug Peterson called Dell out of bounds. You disagree. So how should the refs decide? The play was inconclusive from the video feeds - until the still pboto surfaced hours later.
It was only inconclusive because they wanted that call to stand.

You do know that the NFL officials over the replay at the home office have the ability to still shot things before they make a final decision.

Disagree.

OK while I don't necassarily agree with all of your points, I do appreciate your comments about the longer term and thank you four your input in this discussion.

Back