Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Sheldon Rankins.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Not much has been made of Rankins and he fills a big (pun intended) void in the middle of our Dline.
He had 3 sacks against Bengals - without which Texans likely lose. His presence and pressure up the middle made a big difference in this game.
He makes the whole line better - his experience, leadership and skills are very valuable to our D.
Having him here adds some serious starch to our line and gives Texans the luxury of taking pressure off having to take a big guy high in the next draft.
Kudos big guy.

Not much has been made of Rankins and he fills a big (pun intended) void in the middle of our Dline.
He had 3 sacks against Bengals - without which Texans likely lose. His presence and pressure up the middle made a big difference in this game.
He makes the whole line better - his experience, leadership and skills are very valuable to our D.
Having him here adds some serious starch to our line and gives Texans the luxury of taking pressure off having to take a big guy high in the next draft.
Kudos big guy.
He was a beast!

Kudos big guy.
Facts! So are they still triple teaming WAJ?

Rankins' deal was pretty good for a DT.

https://www.click2houston.com/sport...llion-deal-including-7-million-signing-bonus/

His previous deal was just 11M for 2 years with the Jets.

I don't see any reason why he wouldn't want to stay.
Providing he continues to show his worth, the Texans should think the same.
Rankins issues has always been healthy, not ability. I would do a 3 yr deal and still draft a dt in the 2nd or 3rd rd to put in rotation with Collins and the other dt not named Hinish. Hinish should only play teams or injury.

Kudos big guy.
I'm bringing back Rankins if his salary is about the same. He's a really good player but injury prone. I also still would sign Wilkins in FA and draft Sweat or Murphy if one of them falls to the 3rd rd.

Last edited:
I'm bringing back Rankings if his salary is about the same. He's a really good player but injury prone. I also still would sign Wilkins in FA and draft Sweat or Murphy if one of them falls to the 3rd rd.
There is no way Sweat lasts till the 3rd. He will be gone early 2nd at the latest. But that dude is a BEAST. Would love to land him and solve our pass rush and run stopping issues.

There is no way Sweat lasts till the 3rd. He will be gone early 2nd at the latest. But that dude is a BEAST. Would love to land him and solve our pass rush and run stopping issues.
I don't know about this, Leebig seems to think he might last until the 3rd and his position is undervalued.

Top of the 3rd is a top 100 pick. It's possible he could last that long. If lasts that long and Caserio doesn't trade up in rds 1 or 2 like Caserio has been known to do, then I could see him trading up into the top of the 3rd for a guy like Sweat, Murphy or Stackhouse.

Kudos big guy.
Pre-game, I didn't want him in 2024. Post game...
Let's see if he can continue..

They're not. He and Pitre are always close. That's why I call the horseshoe and hand grenade
You said it yourself a while back that he’s going to have to learn, that bull rush ain’t going to have the same effect at this level. I eyed him Sunday and that’s still his go to and looks to be one reason he’s close but not there. I’m not much for getting technical with technique but he def is going to have to work smarter not harder. Swim, up and under and just getting the angles he needs to get by guys. Still early but I’d like to see more actual moves from him but I still think he’ll be just fine.

I don't know about this, Leebig seems to think he might last until the 3rd and his position is undervalued.

Top of the 3rd is a top 100 pick. It's possible he could last that long. If lasts that long and Caserio doesn't trade up in rds 1 or 2 like Caserio has been known to do, then I could see him trading up into the top of the 3rd for a guy like Sweat, Murphy or Stackhouse.
I mean, guys his size normally aren't over 60% snap guys. I like Sweat and there is sorta precedent with Ika being drafted 98th by the Browns. If it were me, I would sign Madubike who is 25 and has pass rush ability inside and draft a DT in the Ruke Ororoho in the 2nd or Sweat in the 3rd rd.

You said it yourself a while back that he’s going to have to learn, that bull rush ain’t going to have the same effect at this level. I eyed him Sunday and that’s still his go to and looks to be one reason he’s close but not there. I’m not much for getting technical with technique but he def is going to have to work smarter not harder. Swim, up and under and just getting the angles he needs to get by guys. Still early but I’d like to see more actual moves from him but I still think he’ll be just fine.
Yeah, I'm sure they're trying to coach him in season, but it's probably going to be an offseason type of deal. He has good traits, but not special traits. I will hold of judgment of his arc until next year. We could use some flashes though.

Yeah, I'm sure they're trying to coach him in season, but it's probably going to be an offseason type of deal. He has good traits, but not special traits. I will hold of judgment of his arc until next year. We could use some flashes though.
His season has reminded me kind of like Clowneys 2nd yr. Gets pressure so he helps the team, good against the run. Difference is although WA isn't the athlete Clowney was, he's got a great work ethic and I bet he spends this off season working on his craft. Unlike Clowney

I mean, guys his size normally aren't over 60% snap guys. I like Sweat and there is sorta precedent with Ika being drafted 98th by the Browns. If it were me, I would sign Madubike who is 25 and has pass rush ability inside and draft a DT in the Ruke Ororoho in the 2nd or Sweat in the 3rd rd.
I've already said what I would do. I would spend big money on Wilkins, re-sign Rankings, Draft Sweat. You know how I feel about drafting Clemson trash with high picks.

Mainly 2018 where Sheldon had his best season. 8 sacks. I haven’t watched too much college football this season but I trust Demeco will select the best defensive players available in the draft
I hope he gives Stroud more weapons to work with in the draft. Although there's certainly a case to be made for continuing to build the defense.

I just imagine an offense with a deep threat like Legette, a RB like Benson and a TE like Cade Stover. This would make the offense elite. Re-sign Schultz and Rankins.

His season has reminded me kind of like Clowneys 2nd yr. Gets pressure so he helps the team, good against the run. Difference is although WA isn't the athlete Clowney was, he's got a great work ethic and I bet he spends this off season working on his craft. Unlike Clowney
Good comparison. Clowney worked on his craft, but some things are just natural. I never thought Clowney would ever be a high end pass rusher. Clowney is a athlete playing football vs being an athletic football player. I never thought Clowney would be a bust, he's not, but I feel the same about Anderson. I just don't see that special trait.

Good comparison. Clowney worked on his craft, but some things are just natural. I never thought Clowney would ever be a high end pass rusher. Clowney is a athlete playing football vs being an athletic football player. I never thought Clowney would be a bust, he's not, but I feel the same about Anderson. I just don't see that special trait.
I've heard that Clowney was the opposite of a hard worker.

I've already said what I would do. I would spend big money on Wilkins, re-sign Rankings, Draft Sweat. You know how I feel about drafting Clemson trash with high picks.
That's a lot of resources all in one draft/off-season for the DL. But they do have 3 DL with expiring contracts so something will be done to address it.

1699971984828.png

I would resign Rankins, living with the idea he will miss time each year. His impact is enough to overcome his history imho. I’m less high on resigning Perryman. Like Rankins, when he plays he makes an impact, but his injury history says he is even less reliable. Your best ability is availability. If they resign Perryman, it needs to be team friendly. Good player, but health concerns are very valid.

Kudos big guy.

Guy been solid. D line is getting better every week.

I'm bringing back Rankins if his salary is about the same. He's a really good player but injury prone. I also still would sign Wilkins in FA and draft Sweat or Murphy if one of them falls to the 3rd rd.
I’m very interested in your take on this one SteelB, I see you pounding the table to re-up on the DL which I can’t disagree with, but I also see you saying draft a WR1, my question is where you see the LB corps in terms of priority? DeMeco doesn’t have his Fred Warner on this team, Harris has had a steady start to his career and continues to gain experience, Cashman has been great so far but I worry he could return to what he showed previously in the league at some point, Henry T has been great for a rookie but he isn’t going to grow into the ideal size, we saw Perryman get picked on late in the game in relief for Henry T this last week. Do you roll with what we have as they all seem OK to good, or do you look for someone who can raise the bar there?

I don’t know who would be available to do that, whether the ideal player is available in the draft or FA.

Wilkins is more of a playmaker. Alot like Rankings but he's stayed healthier.

I thought you didn't like Clemson trash

I thought you didn't like Clemson trash

I said I would never draft a Clemson player high in the draft. Once they've proven to have a good work ethic then I would add them to the team. Example: I would love to get Reader back. Example: I like Will Shipley as a RD but wouldn't draft him before the 4th rd.

Hasn't Justin been hurt some? Give me the guy who is most available if 2 players are close to being equal.

I mean, guys his size normally aren't over 60% snap guys. I like Sweat and there is sorta precedent with Ika being drafted 98th by the Browns. If it were me, I would sign Madubike who is 25 and has pass rush ability inside and draft a DT in the Ruke Ororoho in the 2nd or in the 3rd rd.
I agree that sweat will be in the middle of round three probably just out of our reach without a trade up. Still not sure if that should be our move.

I said I would never draft a Clemson player high in the draft. Once they've proven to have a good work ethic then I would add them to the team. Example: I would love to get Reader back. Example: I like Will Shipley as a RD but wouldn't draft him before the 4th rd.

Hasn't Justin been hurt some? Give me the guy who is most available if 2 players are close to being equal.
So given the chance 5 years ago, you wouldn't have drafted Wilkins, but now you want to sign him?

What about the guys who get paid, then becomes a turd as you say?
Some do, most dont.

Clemson guys have to prove it to me.

I'm not saying I wouldn't pick a Clemson guy, just not in the 1st three rds. I look at Reader and think Wilkins is more like Reader than Kevin Dodd. I also wouldn't want more than 1 or 2 Clemson guys on my team at the same time. Trouble

Some do, most dont.

Clemson guys have to prove it to me.

I'm not saying I wouldn't pick a Clemson guy, just not in the 1st three rds. I look at Reader and think Wilkins is more like Reader than Kevin Dodd. I also wouldn't want more than 1 or 2 Clemson guys on my team at the same time. Trouble
I'm starting to think you're making this stuff up as you go.

:thinking:

Back