Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Sounds like Cedric Benson is coming to Houston

Looks like I am in.

I just saw your post over there.

BTW, this is the message I get:

Texan_Bill, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I just saw your post over there.

BTW, this is the message I get:

After the first link in an email they send you, they send you a second one that says you have been activated. Did you check your email, probably your junk email folder, again for a second email. Once you click on that you finish the activating part.

When did you sign up?

After the first link in an email they send you, they send you a second one that says you have been activated. Did you check your email, probably your junk email folder, again for a second email. Once you click on that you finish the activating part.

When did you sign up?

YUP.. I had checked my emails and junk email.

When did I sign up?? It seems like a couple of years now, but I can't tell you for sure because I don't have permission to check my account... :gun:

Much appreciated, but Blazing Arrow, Childress, Bipolar and some others from that board tried to no avail....

Well, why would they be denying you access? You have never offended them or anything if you can't post. I just sent him a PM, we'll see what he says. If not, you could alway sign up under a different username, and different email address......but it would not be the same :cry2:

I never really believed Cedric Benson had a chance in hell of coming to Houston. Not without some type of source saying that the Texans are considering it.

Glad this rumor turned out to false.

And I will rebut that with Cedric Griffin, Michael Huff, Bo Scaife, Ahmad Hall, Casey Hampton, Nathan Vasher, Roy Williams....

I'm not sure why you list Michael Huff here. He certainly hasn't overwhelmed the NFL so far. Roy Williams is a guy I would hate to have on my team. Cedric Griffin has been alright so far. The rest of the list, other than Hampton, are nice little players that not much was expected from and they've generally filled their roles well.

mike williams
shaun rogers
ced benson
vince young (considered retirement after a successful rookie year?)
leonard davis (really nice big oaf, but major underachiever)
ricky williams
roy williams
corey redding
quentin jammer
chris simms
frank okam

this is a list of elite UT players, either all high first round picks since Mack has been there, or guys that were expected to be high picks but faltered late in their college careers. all of these guys have made less of their careers than their talent would indicate largely because of work ethic or a sense of entitlement that they share.

While I think Vince hasn't underachieved (never thought he'd be a good QB until at least year 5), his considering retirement after his rookie year is further evidence of the shock UT players get when they leave the shelter of Mack Brown's bosom.

The list of elite UT talent to meet or exceed expectations in the NFL since Mack Brown:

fill in the blanks, because I can't think of many...

Casey Hampton,

If you compiled a similar list for Miami, USC, Florida St., Ohio St., etc..., you would see very different results. Those players, at a much higher ratio, enter the NFL more ready to play and have a much higher rate of living up to their potential.

Just wondering why Okam is on the list. Isn't he the kid we picked up in last Aprils draft just over 2 months ago. He hasn't had a chance to show if he is NFL quality yet. He might end up being a bust but dang give him atleast a preseason game first.

:fans:

I'm not sure why you list Michael Huff here. He certainly hasn't overwhelmed the NFL so far. Roy Williams is a guy I would hate to have on my team. Cedric Griffin has been alright so far. The rest of the list, other than Hampton, are nice little players that not much was expected from and they've generally filled their roles well.

mike williams
shaun rogers
ced benson
ricky williams
roy williams
corey redding
quentin jammer
chris simms
frank okam

this is a list of elite UT players, either all high first round picks since Mack has been there, or guys that were expected to be high picks but faltered late in their college careers. all of these guys have made less of their careers than their talent would indicate largely because of work ethic or a sense of entitlement that they share.

While I think Vince hasn't underachieved (never thought he'd be a good QB until at least year 5), his considering retirement after his rookie year is further evidence of the shock UT players get when they leave the shelter of Mack Brown's bosom.

The list of elite UT talent to meet or exceed expectations in the NFL since Mack Brown:

Casey Hampton,

If you compiled a similar list for Miami, USC, Florida St., Ohio St., etc..., you would see very different results. Those players, at a much higher ratio, enter the NFL more ready to play and have a much higher rate of living up to their potential.

Aaron Ross for the SB champion Giants?

Ricky Williams lead the league in rushing for what that's worth. I won't even go into that saga.

Sorry Ozzo I had to.

Aaron Ross for the SB champion Giants?

Ricky Williams lead the league in rushing for what that's worth. I won't even go into that saga.

Sorry Ozzo I had to.

Yeah, maybe Aaron Ross. We'll see.

Are you arguing that Ricky fulfilled his potential? Nobody is arguing that Mack Brown doesn't recruit talent. He recruits amazing talent. The argument is that they tend not to develop in college and in the NFL. They tend to rest on their abilities and be their own worst enemy.

I'm a little amazed at the contempt for rumor mongering in this thread, especially since this notion of Benson begging for a job with the Texans (err, maybe maybe not) was never promoted as nothing more than rumor anyway and that this thread traffic is proof itself that fans are always interested in a good rumor, especially in the dead of the offseason.

And I love the holier-than-thou snap analysis that Benson is a never-was and a never-will-be, some of which coming from the same people (here and elsewhere) that were certain of the greatness that was Reggie Bush entering the NFL.

:thinking:

I'm a little amazed at the contempt for rumor mongering in this thread, especially since this notion of Benson begging for a job with the Texans (err, maybe maybe not) was never promoted as nothing more than rumor anyway and that this thread traffic is proof itself that fans are always interested in a good rumor, especially in the dead of the offseason.

And I love the holier-than-thou snap analysis that Benson is a never-was and a never-will-be, some of which coming from the same people (here and elsewhere) that were certain of the greatness that was Reggie Bush entering the NFL.

:thinking:

My position has been consistant: Benson is a never-wll-be. He was something but that was 6 years ago, as a freshman.

Regarding Bush, I was in the "no thank you" camp from the beginning, partly because I don't believe in taking a RB that high, partly because I was concerned about his ability to play every down, partly because I was concerned that the offense would be too centered around him, causing continuity issues.

That being said, if Bush is sitting out there on waivers like Benson, I'd certainly be interested!

Just wondering why Okam is on the list. Isn't he the kid we picked up in last Aprils draft just over 2 months ago. He hasn't had a chance to show if he is NFL quality yet. He might end up being a bust but dang give him atleast a preseason game first.

You could argue he ended up "busting" in college. Could have been a top 10 overall pick but dropped to the 5th round.

The knock on Okam has been his heart. People aren't sure if his heart's in football -or- Med School...

But I agree, let's see what the guy shows before we label him.

mike williams
shaun rogers
ced benson
ricky williams
roy williams
corey redding
quentin jammer
chris simms
frank okam

Casey Hampton,

I'm late to this arguement, but I disagree. Texas may have more of a country club feel than other college's, but their athletes do well once they hit the NFL. They do have some bust in the NFL, but they have good players in the league too.

CB- Cedric Griffin-He has been better in the NFL than in college.
DB- Mike Griffin
DT-Casey Hampton
DT- Cory Redding- got a huge contract from Detroit not too long ago.
CB- Quentin Jammer-He has been great the last 2 seasons.
CB-Aaron Ross- Starter on a Super Bowl team.

There are more as well. If your arguement is totally true, then why do teams continue to draft Texas players and give them starting jobs on NFL teams really quickly ?

So has anyone who has Brett Favre as a client heard that "it looks like he's coming to Houston?" Who wants to be the one to start the thread and start the clock on a PFT.com mention?

I'm late to this arguement, but I disagree. Texas may have more of a country club feel than other college's, but their athletes do well once they hit the NFL. They do have some bust in the NFL, but they have good players in the league too.

DB- Mike Griffin
DT-Casey Hampton

There are more as well. If your arguement is totally true, then why do teams continue to draft Texas players and give them starting jobs on NFL teams really quickly ?

Corey Redding! give me a break. He, much like Benson, was a super-freshman who's play either diminished or plateaued as his career went on. You are right that he got a big contract, however that was based on one good 1/2 season in his 4th year... and a mistake, by the way.

Jammer has been in the league for 6? years. His reputation, earned, is as an underachieving CB... considering the front 7 he plays with, that's saying something.

Casey Hampton's been very solid.

Ced Griffin has shown some promise.

Aaron Ross looked good as a rookie.

Mike Griffin- I have no idea.

DB- Mike Griffin
DT-Casey Hampton

Because they are very talented athletes.

I never said that there will never be a UT player to succeed in the NFL. As a matter of a fact, I'm excited about Okam.

My argument is that the elite athlete enters UT and doesn't learn the work ethic, mental toughness, and/or the edge to be great like the same athlete from other schools. My supposition is that this is due to Mack Brown not instilling or nurturing those things in them.

It's not even that cruel of an idictment. I mean, as a UT fan, who cares what kind of player they are in the NFL as long as they succeed in college.

i would tay typically UT players are a bit babied. they seem to lack work ethic alot of times. they seem to have a hard time transitioning to the NFL. off the top of my head, i'll go with Benson, Young, Williams to start.

Babied? I'll give you that all day long. They are babied, because the coach is babied as well and is a soft coach. Mack is the most overatted coach in college football though. People brag about his win % all of the time, but the guy only has one Big 12 Championship in his entire tenure there. UT has more talent that every Big 12 team every season, and still manages to get beaten out of the Big 12 Championship. If UT had a really SOLID tough hard nosed head coach, then they would be competing for the NC every season instead of competing for the Holiday Bowl almost every season.

Yes, a lot of players do fall into sort of a culture shock when they get to to the NFL, but that is because UT is almost like a play ground for the players. Mack doesn't scare anyone, and they live like freaking celebs out there. They play Big 12 opponents that don't have near the talent, and so they win most of the regular season games without having to have an EXTREME work ethic.

They just got a really hard nosed D-coordinator in Muschamp though. He should have their D looking great next year.

Corey Redding! give me a break. He, much like Benson, was a super-freshman who's play either diminished or plateaued as his career went on. You are right that he got a big contract, however that was based on one good 1/2 season in his 4th year... and a mistake, by the way.

Jammer has been in the league for 6? years. His reputation, earned, is as an underachieving CB... considering the front 7 he plays with, that's saying something.

Casey Hampton's been very solid.

Ced Griffin has shown some promise.

Aaron Ross looked good as a rookie.

Mike Griffin- I have no idea.

Michael Griffin was a stud all year long for the Titans playing several positions and doing anything that was asked. He was arguably the best safety drafted last year.

You could argue he ended up "busting" in college. Could have been a top 10 overall pick but dropped to the 5th round.

He was a bust in college. He was expected to be one of the top DT's in college as a Junior and was called the Nightmare. He still couldn't live up to it as a Senior. I am hoping that he will get meaner and tougher, but we'll just have to wait and see. He has all of the tools and athleticism, and strength, but now he just needs the heart and courage.

Babied? I'll give you that all day long. They are babied, because the coach is babied as well and is a soft coach. Mack is the most overatted coach in college football though. People brag about his win % all of the time, but the guy only has one Big 12 Championship in his entire tenure there. UT has more talent that every Big 12 team every season, and still manages to get beaten out of the Big 12 Championship. If UT had a really SOLID tough hard nosed head coach, then they would be competing for the NC every season instead of competing for the Holiday Bowl almost every season.

Yes, a lot of players do fall into sort of a culture shock when they get to to the NFL, but that is because UT is almost like a play ground for the players. Mack doesn't scare anyone, and they live like freaking celebs out there. They play Big 12 opponents that don't have near the talent, and so they win most of the regular season games without having to have an EXTREME work ethic.

They just got a really hard nosed D-coordinator in Muschamp though. He should have their D looking great next year.

Liked the addition of Muschamp a lot. Really hoping bringing in Major Applewhite helps the offense because under Davis it's been....productive but it could and should be much better.

Mack is an okay coach but the guy is a lights out recruiter and that is where the rub is. The championship he won gave him time but I still think the clock is ticking on him again. the losses at A&M annoy me and OU is understandable but the two losses to K-State are the ones that bother me most. That team has nowhere near the talent UT does nor the burning hatred that gets the aggies up every time they play. I can buy a close match with OU but K-State?!

Liked the addition of Muschamp a lot. Really hoping bringing in Major Applewhite helps the offense because under Davis it's been....productive but it could and should be much better.

Mack is an okay coach but the guy is a lights out recruiter and that is where the rub is. The championship he won gave him time but I still think the clock is ticking on him again. the losses at A&M annoy me and OU is understandable but the two losses to K-State are the ones that bother me most. That team has nowhere near the talent UT does nor the burning hatred that gets the aggies up every time they play. I can buy a close match with OU but K-State?!

Mack is an awful game day coach and consistently gets our game planned and out witted. Greg Davis is a TERRIBLE offensive coordinator with the most basic play set I have ever seen. Guys from other teams have said that planning for the Horns is real simple, because they know all of the plays that they are going to run every year. Davis should have been fired years ago, but Mack won't do it because that's like his best bud which makes Mack a pretty bad coach as well because he puts his loyalties before his job and the team.

Mack is also an overatted recruiter as well. He almost will not recruit out of state at all. He has been one of the best for years, but he's gotten extremely lazy about recruiting for the last few years. I could tell you about several guys that Texas let get away because of Mack's lack of attention to them. They just lost the most exciting QB that will be a Senior next year named Russell Sheperd and it was his dream to be a Longhorn and Mack wouldn't recruit him as a QB so the guy wouldn't commit. Now the guy has committed to LSU, and has helped LSU get a ton of talented guys as well because he's a real popular guy amongst other top players. Losing Sheppard hurt BIGTIME and that was all on Mack.

You know that Charles and Finley left early because they didn't like how they were being used in the offense. Most people around the country laugh at Texas, because of the great talent that they have every year, but how Mack wastes it. VY was the leader of the team that won the NC, and it was no surprise as soon as he left the team had no leadership, several arrests, and they went right back to under achieving like they always did before VY under Mack Brown.

It will be interesting though to see what kind of impact that Applewhite can bring to the offense. It will depend on how much say so Mack and Davis give to Major. I think that he'll help the offense, but Davis will still be the guy in charge of that offense, and this year will be the worst year that Texas has had in a long time as far as play makers on the offense. Losing Charles and Finley really hurt. Their best play maker on offense right now will be on the bench playing 2nd string QB which is ridiculous, but what can you expect with Mack Brown and Greg Davis?

I'm just stoked to see what Muschamp can do with this D. Muschamp will be playing the best players unlike Mack, and I can't wait to see what a healthy Sergio Kyndle can do all season long. The guy is a beast. Personally I would love to see Muschamp become the next head coach of the Horns because he is hard nose, he really knows football, and is exactly what the spoiled babied Longhorn players need.

Jamie Dukes was just asked on NFL Total Access, "Where should Cedric Benson end up?"

He replied "The Houston Texans should be jumping all him."

LOL...good job rumor starter!

Jamie Dukes was just asked on NFL Total Access, "Where should Cedric Benson end up?"

He replied "The Houston Texans should be jumping all him."

LOL...good job rumor starter!

Did he say why? I mean guys who have performed less and wanted more than my ex are in such high demand why?

Did he say why? I mean guys who have performed less and wanted more than my ex are in such high demand why?

Here's exactly what he said:

Fran Charles: What about Shaun Alexander?

Jamie Dukes: Teams think his legs are gone...

Charles: Surely you think someone will make a run at Shaun Alexander?

Dukes: No. There's a lot of young running backs out there who have fresh legs, and that's what teams are going to gravitate toward.

Charles: Speaking of that, Cedric Benson...released by the Bears...who should pick up him?

Dukes: Oh, gosh. The Houston Texans, I think, should be jumping all over this guy.We don't know what's going to happen, whether he's going to be suspended or not...whether he's even guilty of all these infractions because the jurisprudence process has to take place. That being said, this guy can help some team. He's a young back, who has some talent...now, was he the feature back that everybody thought he was? Maybe not. I still think someone should jump all over him, and I think the Houston Texans would be great.

----------

In case people want to know exactly what he said. Maybe this will help.

It's Jamie Dukes... "Why" has got nothing to do with it! He's just filling up airtime like he fills up a suit: a lot of excess with nothing of substance.

Apparently Dukes didn't sit in on the production mtg or catch NFLTA the episode where Scheffler (sp?) said that the Benson-to-the-Texans thing was all just an internet rumor.

It's Jamie Dukes... "Why" has got nothing to do with it! He's just filling up airtime like he fills up a suit: a lot of excess with nothing of substance.

HaHa, but I do not get NFLN so I have no idea what those guys are like with info.

IMO, the reason he mentioned it was because we have 2 RB's that have had a tough time staying healthy and 3 RB's that are unknown Nationally. I mean, look who we had as a RB tandem the second half of last season. A Fatass and an UDFA who was cut and brought back due to Taylor's (and Green I think) injury. We, as fans, know that we have some potential at the position.

I like JDukes. Not really for the info he provides, but for the humor and for his continuous support of the Big Nasties.

Apparently Dukes didn't sit in on the production mtg or catch NFLTA the episode where Scheffler (sp?) said that the Benson-to-the-Texans thing was all just an internet rumor.

Why let things like reality, facts, and stuff get in the way of to production ? :)

Ain't no way I could have rembered all of that or had the patience to type it out.

Only took 5 or 6 minutes...using the pause button every now and then.

I don't think Dukes mentioned Benson and Houston as being a good fit just because he saw it on the internet. I think he genuinely knows that this team has struggled to find a running back who can stay on the field. He sees a native Texan (Benson) who was let go...and it's not too far-fetched for an NFL analyst to say "You know what? Houston would be a fit for him."

We could do a lot worse than Cedric Benson. In fact, we have been doing worse than that. Would Benson succeed here? I don't know 100% for sure. But I know that the parade of free agents and late-round draft picks who have strolled through the Reliant Field tunnel over the past two seasons aren't any better than what Cedric Benson could probably provide.

The biggest "knock" on the guy is that his head doesn't seem to be screwed too firmly onto his shoulders the past few years. McNair doesn't like trouble-makers, so I'm sure Benson wasn't considered too heavily by the FO nor by a HC who doesn't have the time to babysit grown men.

The patty-cake patty-cake atmosphere under Dom Capers is GONE. Our record reflected it immediately in Kubiak's first year. I suspect that everyone on the Texans roster, especially with Mathis getting kicked to the curb, understands that there'll be no babysitting or tolerance of off-the-field stupidity.

It's too bad that Cedric hasn't put it together yet. Seemed like a pretty good RB prospect at the time.

Lets revisit an old friend shall we?

Per McClain's Blog:

2) I didn't expect the Texans to run well against the Steelers, but they had only 25 yards rushing when Pittsburgh led 35-3. The running game is a work in progress, and I can't imagine the Ravens being tougher than the Steelers as far as run defense. I think the running game needs time. Cedric Benson told the Chicago Tribune he's scheduled to try out for the Texans this week. That would mean Tuesday when general manager Rick Smith schedules tryouts for players. I wouldn't blame them for bringing in Benson at this point. After Gary Kubiak told us all summer they weren't interested in Benson, now they might be. We'll see

Per the Chicago Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...6-cedric-benson-chicago-bears,0,2606692.story

Former Bears running back Cedric Benson, released by the team June 9 after two alcohol-related off-season arrests, said Saturday he has a tryout with the Houston Texans this week[

Bring the man home. He cant do any worse.

Why would anyone want him? It's one thing to take on a proven player with significant legal baggage, but it's something else to invite that headache when the player hasn't done sh*t at the NFL level.

Steve Slaton > Cedric Benson.

Back