Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Sounds like Cedric Benson is coming to Houston

It's pretty disheartening that hearsay can spread like that. Especially from someone as reputable and, usually, credible as Texans Chick

Here's my thing. I've said it before, and I've put many other words to it - but cut and dry:

Two alcohol arrests in a month. You think the first was BS? Fine. The second one still shows that he is not smart, and that he doesn't care about football. Kubes and Smith could turn him around, sure - and I'm sure we have other mental midgets on the Texans... but how much of an immature child are you if you can't keep yourself from driving drunk a month after... being arrested for being drunk?

We don't know that he was driving drunk a month later.

What we know is he stayed out late and ran a red light in the offseason. After the BWI, he probably needed to live his life like a monk so as not to get into any more trouble.

Admittedly, I've done the same thing, both within the last week--stayed out late, ran a red light that was semi-yellow I contend. Didn't drive drunk, but I suppose I could have been pulled over and asked to do BS field sobriety tests. If I had a social drink with dinner, I wouldn't do the breathalyzer.

There are clearly questions about Benson's run ins with the law and his judgment that go beyond the last two arrests. It's a question if he has anything redeemable as an NFL player left or not.

I'm not blaming Steph, I'm talking about Florio. I just can't believe a totally unfounded statement on a message board can find its way to PFT... I mean, I get that it's called "rumor mill" but typically the rumors are based on league chatter, team officials, etc. Not message boards.

Steph's site is on Fanhouse. It's part of what she does to represent what the fans of the team are saying. I have no problem with that.

I'm not blaming Steph, I'm talking about Florio. I just can't believe a totally unfounded statement on a message board can find its way to PFT... I mean, I get that it's called "rumor mill" but typically the rumors are based on league chatter, team officials, etc. Not message boards.

Steph's site is on Fanhouse. It's part of what she does to represent what the fans of the team are saying. I have no problem with that.

I understand that. But, by her posting it in her FanBlog, she is giving the rumor momentum. I don't know if Florio knows her or not, clearly, if he does, her posting the rumor gives it considerably more clout. But had that rumor stayed here in the messageboard (where it belongs) it wouldn't have found its way to PFT. So, in that way, Texans Chick is facilitating the spread of this rumor.

She obviously has a bias toward Benson and would like the Texans to pick him up, and that's fine. But, I look at her as one of the more reliable bloggers/Texans mouthpieces and its just disheartening to see her giving garbage like this legs.

I just totally disagree with that. Part of what Steph does at Fanhouse is that she has the finger on the pulse of the Texans fan base. There's a 10+ page thread on the most-trafficked Texans message board about Cedric Benson - so I think she would actually be remiss if she didn't mention it.

Now, if she had gone and posted about it right after the rumor was posted, then yeah - I would have an issue with that - but she would never do that. Instead, she posted about it after a large debate, which has included dozens of very well thought out responses.

IMHO, even if his off the field issues are cleared and everything is hunky-dory.......he's still not a very good RB. Heck, I'd even say he kinda sucks.

If the dude is in town and says he wants to come play for the Texans, fine.....but that doesn't mean the Texans want him.

Personally, I've yet to see anything from this guy that would link him to a ZB type scheme.

:gun: :gun: :gun:

For clarity's sake, I'm not sitting here any trying to dictate what the purpose of her blog is. I'm simply saying that she's held with a relatively high regard in the Texans' community, and to post a baseless rumor started by someone with no posting history seems more like stumping for Benson than "keeping her finger on the pulse of the community." But I digress, my inetntion wasn't to single out Texans Chick.

Anything you guys are posting on this site can get out there will quick. Just Google "Houston Texans", we are on the 1st page. Now google "cedric benson coming to houston texans" and see what you get.

This site is getting a ton of traffic, most people come here just to read and don't register. So it's not too hard to see how these things can get started.

I understand that. But, by her posting it in her FanBlog, she is giving the rumor momentum. I don't know if Florio knows her or not, clearly, if he does, her posting the rumor gives it considerably more clout. But had that rumor stayed here in the messageboard (where it belongs) it wouldn't have found its way to PFT. So, in that way, Texans Chick is facilitating the spread of this rumor.

She obviously has a bias toward Benson and would like the Texans to pick him up, and that's fine. But, I look at her as one of the more reliable bloggers/Texans mouthpieces and its just disheartening to see her giving garbage like this legs.

Some thoughts:

1. This is not just a rumor I saw on a MB. This is something I've heard from other people who I trust.

2. I have no problem saying Ced Benson is interested in the Texans, and this would be a situation that would be good for him.

3. I do question whether the Texans would have interest in him back. I discuss some of the factors involved with that in my piece.

4. PFT and FanHouse for that matter are not just news sites. The reason people read it is to know what GM, teams, fans are talking about and what they are interested in. Both what I wrote and what PFT wrote explained where the information came from. People can see it as a FWIW.

5. I do not have a pro- or anti- Benson bias. I don't have strong feelings if he comes to the Texans or not. If the team thinks he is someone who is worth sticking in camp for a training camp battle on a position of weakness on the team, I don't care if they do it as long as it is a relatively low risk contract. If they have no interest in him, I'm good with that too.

6. As an ancilary matter to the Ced Benson post, it is also a discussion of the Texans running back situation and Ahman Green's salary cap situation.

I could have written a similar piece without linking the Texans Talk stuff or talking about Ced being in town talking to the Texans, but that would be ignoring stuff I know.

I have yet to see where anyone has said this is cold hard fact the Texans are going for Benson. Much ado about nothing at this point, IMO.

Here's my write up on it. Including a good link from Keith from HPF his new Texans website.
Very good articles from both you and Keith. I wouldn't disagree with much from either.

What I felt didn't come across in your piece was fair assessment of Benson's performance in the NFL, thus far. If Ahman Green is "Oldish and oft injured", how would Benson be described? "Childish and oft sucky"? Replace Benson with any name on the list, and I don't see how one could gain added confidence in the Texans ground attack. Really, all of the new expectations for the running game come from Alex Gibbs and the emphasis on the ZBS.

I would also question this section you quoted from Keith's article:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And while Benson has been a flop to date as a pro, he is a former first round pick capable of running inside and falling forward for four yards a carry. If Ron Dayne can have even a modicrum of success in this offense, then there is certainly some hope that Benson, freed from a historically inept offense in Chicago, might be able to finally pay dividends on his draft day expectations.[/FONT]
First and foremost, I'm not a Ron Dayne advocate. He's never been a tough inside runner, in my eyes. But last season, Dayne was stuffed (zero yards or less) just 10 times in 194 carries. Benson was stuffed on 27 of 196 carries. I don't see how that kind of disparity could be attributed to only the the differences in effectiveness between the two offenses. As mediocre as Dayne was last season, he was better than Benson.

I wonder if Kubiak and Smith have met with Cedric, yet? With license from the classic film Bachelor Party, this is how their conversation might have gone:

Smith: First, Cedric, you're a bust. You were the #4 pick in the draft and you never gained as much as 700 yards in a single season.
Kubiak: You're immature. You've left the field pouting prior to the end of a game, and you've been arrested twice this offseason for alcohol related offense.
Smith: You're lazy and unmotivated. You've come into camp out of shape and some teammates have admitted trying to injure you.
Kubiak: You're a poor inside runner, you don't break tackles, you lack breakaway speed...
Smith: ...a poor receiver, a poor blocker...
Benson: OK guys, that's quite a list. And you're both right, absolutely right. But I'm sure if I really apply myself, I can be a totally changed football player by the start of camp. Now, who's ready to hit happy hour!?! I'm driving!

When an article starts off with "There are rumors on the grapevine...", I pretty much assume most folks can comprehend that the rest of the story is speculation instead of factual.

I'd like to see Benson signed.

Lets see what he can do. He doesn't cost anything but money, and theres a chance he could be a contributor. I don't care about players being role models, I care about players playing better and being bigger, faster, stronger, meaner than the players in the other jerseys.
Agree, you just never know what GB may be able to do with him.

Admittedly, I've done the same thing, both within the last week--stayed out late, ran a red light that was semi-yellow I contend. Didn't drive drunk, but I suppose I could have been pulled over and asked to do BS field sobriety tests. If I had a social drink with dinner, I wouldn't do the breathalyzer.

I guarantee that you will not be signed as a RB for the Texans.

Period.

:smiliedance:

Lets see what he can do. He doesn't cost anything but money, and theres a chance he could be a contributor. I don't care about players being role models, I care about players playing better and being bigger, faster, stronger, meaner than the players in the other jerseys.

If we didn't have a roster limit then I'd sign him. However, your decision to sign him means someone gets cut. Who do you cut?

Do you think he's better than Green, CBrown, Slaton, Taylor?

When an article starts off with "There are rumors on the grapevine...", I pretty much assume most folks can comprehend that the rest of the story is speculation instead of factual.

Pretty much anybody who has read PFT for awhile and peruse a few different forums will know that practically any sort of rumor or tidbit on the internet or anywhere could appear in the rumor mill. I'm not surprised, usually if somebody does a piece like what Steph did, if it sounds like it could be valid, it could appear on the rumor mill. That's just how that website works.

To me, a "rumor" is something that stems from word within the organization. Not some guy, with no post history, on a message board. I know TC says she's heard it from "other sources," and I trust her word. But a "rumor" orginiating from here isn't a rumor in my book.

I could have written a similar piece without linking the Texans Talk stuff or talking about Ced being in town talking to the Texans, but that would be ignoring stuff I know.

Ok, so I was totally ignoring the entire Cedric Benson being in town up till now. I have been on these boards a long time and read a lot of things and eventually you are able to weed out who is full of Ca-Ca and who actually know something. And Texans Chick is definitely in the know something category.

I was also wondering why the thread grew legs the way it did and why it was allowed to continue without a link of some sort, usually they are erased relatively fast.

Vinny is also a person in the know.

Interesting.

How do you people get to know people? I wanna know people. I need to start hanging out with some of you. I know one person but he doesn't call me and go, "Hey guess who's in town...."

I wanna know stuff too!

At least Jameel Cook contributed on special teams last year.
Will Benson do that?

Let him sit around during everybody's training camp without getting picked up, and he'll probably do naked cartwheels during halftime if you tell him to.

Say, before we start fooling around with someone who's, at best suspect, like Benson is, let's get the rest of our '08 rook class all signed up.

But a "rumor" orginiating from here isn't a rumor in my book.
I see your point. This thread probably wouldn't have lasted without corroboration from an independent, trustworthy 2nd source. Plus, it's the dead period between OTAs and training camp. There's not much to discuss beyond rumors. This has to belong in the no harm, no foul category.

I see your point. This thread probably wouldn't have lasted without corroboration from an independent, trustworthy 2nd source. Plus, it's the dead period between OTAs and training camp. There's not much to discuss beyond rumors. This has to belong in the no harm, no foul category.

What difference does it make to how much truth there is to this "rumor" it's been a fairly good, civil discussion.

smell the roses man.. life is short.

Smith: First, Cedric, you're a bust. You were the #4 pick in the draft and you never gained as much as 700 yards in a single season.

Kubiak: You're immature. You've left the field pouting prior to the end of a game, and you've been arrested twice this offseason for alcohol related offense.

Smith: You're lazy and unmotivated. You've come into camp out of shape and some teammates have admitted trying to injure you.

Kubiak: You're a poor inside runner, you don't break tackles, you lack breakaway speed...

Benson: OK guys, that's quite a list. And you're both right, absolutely right. But I'm sure if I really apply myself, I can be a totally changed football player by the start of camp. Now, who's ready to hit happy hour!?! I'm driving!

Dude, that's brilliant.

To me, a "rumor" is something that stems from word within the organization. Not some guy, with no post history, on a message board. I know TC says she's heard it from "other sources," and I trust her word. But a "rumor" orginiating from here isn't a rumor in my book.

People could look at your post history, time on the boards and assume the same thing about what you say. Call it a rumor, call it wild specualtion, whatever makes you more comfortable, but it's the offseason and it's just a topic for debate and consideration given:

A. the lack of running game last year by the Texans
B. available running backs

It's thoughts, rumor, opinion all rolled into one. Isn't it cool when somebody guesses right? Where do you get Texans Chick has a biased about Cedric? It seemed like a pretty fair way to consider the entire situation to me.

Very good articles from both you and Keith. I wouldn't disagree with much from either.

What I felt didn't come across in your piece was fair assessment of Benson's performance in the NFL, thus far. If Ahman Green is "Oldish and oft injured", how would Benson be described? "Childish and oft sucky"? Replace Benson with any name on the list, and I don't see how one could gain added confidence in the Texans ground attack. Really, all of the new expectations for the running game come from Alex Gibbs and the emphasis on the ZBS.

I would also question this section you quoted from Keith's article:

First and foremost, I'm not a Ron Dayne advocate. He's never been a tough inside runner, in my eyes. But last season, Dayne was stuffed (zero yards or less) just 10 times in 194 carries. Benson was stuffed on 27 of 196 carries. I don't see how that kind of disparity could be attributed to only the the differences in effectiveness between the two offenses. As mediocre as Dayne was last season, he was better than Benson.

I wonder if Kubiak and Smith have met with Cedric, yet? With license from the classic film Bachelor Party, this is how their conversation might have gone:

"Childish and oft sucky" would be a good Cliff Notes assessment of Ced.

If they thought he had anything to possibly offer, I see him as relatively low cost, possible upside camp competition. Texans have a history of throwing bodies at positions of weakness as an attempt to get better and create competition. I don't see him as the savior of the running game, but I think if he had his head together, it might be interesting to see what we would get out of him.

I think the point that Keith was making and I thought was a good one to make is that Kubiak has a system that can make players appear to be better than they are as an individual athlete. We can't really know the relative effectiveness between two offenses who play in different divisions. But I do know that the times I've watched that Chicago offense, it was pretty awful. Hard to say what is attributable to Ced or what is attributable to one of the worst starting QBs in the league.

I believe that few players are so good that they would shine no matter what their awful situation (Andre Johnson). I think the majority of players have to be in a good fit for them. A good system, a good coaching fit, a good mix with other players. I think Ron Dayne is someone who was semi-effective for Houston when he was non-injured, because basically, the offense is all about just making sure you continue to get positive yards, no negative yards, and don't put the ball on the turf.

People could look at your post history, time on the boards and assume the same thing about what you say. Call it a rumor, call it wild specualtion, whatever makes you more comfortable, but it's the offseason and it's just a topic for debate and consideration given:

A. the lack of running game last year by the Texans
B. available running backs

It's thoughts, rumor, opinion all rolled into one. Isn't it cool when somebody guesses right? Where do you get Texans Chick has a biased about Cedric? It seemed like a pretty fair way to consider the entire situation to me.

I've been a member of the boards since '04 or '05. I forgot my log in and password when the board switched over.

http://texanstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=3005 :)

But, then again, I wasn't here making a bold and (seemingly) baseless claim. The guy might be right, I'm not saying he's not. I'm saying one post on a messageboard doesn't make what he's saying legitimate or credit-worthy. But, it's summer and we should put aside any skepticism because we're bored. I get it.

"Childish and oft sucky" would be a good Cliff Notes assessment of Ced.

If they thought he had anything to possibly offer, I see him as relatively low cost, possible upside camp competition. Texans have a history of throwing bodies at positions of weakness as an attempt to get better and create competition. I don't see him as the savior of the running game, but I think if he had his head together, it might be interesting to see what we would get out of him.

I think the point that Keith was making and I thought was a good one to make is that Kubiak has a system that can make players appear to be better than they are as an individual athlete. We can't really know the relative effectiveness between two offenses who play in different divisions. But I do know that the times I've watched that Chicago offense, it was pretty awful. Hard to say what is attributable to Ced or what is attributable to one of the worst starting QBs in the league.

I believe that few players are so good that they would shine no matter what their awful situation (Andre Johnson). I think the majority of players have to be in a good fit for them. A good system, a good coaching fit, a good mix with other players. I think Ron Dayne is someone who was semi-effective for Houston when he was non-injured, because basically, the offense is all about just making sure you continue to get positive yards, no negative yards, and don't put the ball on the turf.

Well, regardless of Chicago's offense, he was a lot less explosive than Thomas Jones. His lack of desire and effort was also painfully obvious... Considering that includes a trip to the Superbowl, I'm not sure how our situation will motivate or rejuvinate him. Ced Benson's a guy that took the first opportunity he could to bail out of the biggest came of his career.

Well, regardless of Chicago's offense, he was a lot less explosive than Thomas Jones. His lack of desire and effort was also painfully obvious... Considering that includes a trip to the Superbowl, I'm not sure how our situation will motivate or rejuvinate him. Ced Benson's a guy that took the first opportunity he could to bail out of the biggest came of his career.

Sometimes it takes a while to learn in the league. And it takes people bad stuff to finally *get it.* And sometimes they don't ever *get it.*

Ced Benson came to the Bears with a big head and never fit into their lockerroom. Rumors say the defense tried to hurt him they hated him so much. That can mess you up pretty bad even if you deserve their derision.

The Texans have familiar faces in their lockerroom. Kubiak has a way of connecting with immature players to get them to prepare right. If they don't they are out.

I know there is a bunch of emotion in this because of the high profile arrests and stuff, but I just see this as exploring a potential training camp body with maybe some upside if he figures stuff out.

I think this could be a win-win for the Texans & Cedric Benson. I think that a change of scenery will be good for and they never had much of an offense in chicago and Benson was an absolute beast coming of UT so I say bring him in he is barely 25 years old. Ahman Green is one huge hit away from sitting out the entire season and you know the texans can't count on the running back we sign from the Titans. So the only guy who might be left standing is Steve Slaton and that is a bit much to leave up to a rookie to carry the load so lets see if cedric has changed.

Agent: So what's the bid, do I hear $10 MM a year for 3 years?

Agent: So what's the bid, do I hear $10 MM a year for 3 years?

Casserly:Really guys I'm flattered. I know I am a bit of a "legend" and I'd love to help you guys with that bloated contract but I'm no longer GM for the Texans. One more round for people that think i made the Mario Williams call!

Not that it means a damn thing, but OJ Simpson gained 697, 488, and 742 in his first three years in the league. That was 3.9 and 4.1 and 4.1 yards per carry each year, respectively.

Ced had 674, 647, and 272 yards rushing his first three years in the league. That was 3.4, 4.1, and 4.1 yards per carry each year, respectively.

Simpson was considered a bust. So is Cedric.

Simpson had a breakout year his 4th year, after a coaching change.

Not saying Benson is Simpson (God forbid!). Just saying three years doesn't make a running back a bust and a change in leadership/scenery can change a career.

I think this could be a win-win for the Texans & Cedric Benson. I think that a change of scenery will be good for and they never had much of an offense in chicago and Benson was an absolute beast coming of UT so I say bring him in he is barely 25 years old. Ahman Green is one huge hit away from sitting out the entire season and you know the texans can't count on the running back we sign from the Titans. So the only guy who might be left standing is Steve Slaton and that is a bit much to leave up to a rookie to carry the load so lets see if cedric has changed.

That statement applies to any and everyone who steps on the field.

And we'll thank you to always capitalize "Texans"

then you should really check out the titans or cowboys organizations. you're rooting for the wrong team. one of the greatest things about this organization besides the fact that we're at a pinnacle moment in our history as an expansion team, this is a class act. (we don't tolerate they kind of guys that would maliciously step on a guys face just to hurt him.) Benson could cost alot more than money. a sour apple in the locker room can be an issue.

Cedric Benson may be convinced that the police in Texas have him in their crosshairs but his problems with uniformed groups didn’t end when he crossed the state line.

According to Jay Glazer, Benson was not well-liked by his teammates on the Bears either. He went on Dan Patrick’s radio program yesterday, via MJD at Yahoo! Sports, and recounted a tale from the 2006 training camp. Thomas Jones and Lovie Smith were feuding and some Bears vets felt that Benson was getting handed the starting job prematurely, an idea they couldn’t get behind. “Hell, one year they tried to hurt him to make sure that Thomas Jones was going to be the starter. That’s how bad it was with that team,” Glazer told Patrick.

When Patrick asked if he got the information from a Bears player, Glazer responded “No, it wasn’t a Bears defensive player. It was about ten of them.”

That’s enough to drive a man to drink his sorrows away.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/11/bears-defense-wasnt-fond-of-cedric-benson/

has links also

Haynes has say on ced
http://boards.chicagobears.com/forums/20/1041992/ShowThread.aspx

That statement applies to any and everyone who steps on the field.

And we'll thank you to always capitalize "Texans"

i love ya' obsi! even i, the laziest capitolizing typist ever can must up the strength to reach my little pinky over to that shift key in honor of our Texans!

I've been a member of the boards since '04 or '05. I forgot my log in and password when the board switched over.

http://texanstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=3005 :)

But, then again, I wasn't here making a bold and (seemingly) baseless claim. The guy might be right, I'm not saying he's not. I'm saying one post on a messageboard doesn't make what he's saying legitimate or credit-worthy. But, it's summer and we should put aside any skepticism because we're bored. I get it.

I knew you were here long before what is says in under your screen name. But I said someone could look at your post and ASSUME the same thing. I didn't say it was the same thing. And allthough your last line appears to be a sarcastic potshot at everyone who has reinforced the fact this is offseason rumor, I never one to put aside skepticism, regardless of the time of year, I am just too darn good at it. It just seemed, from the way I interpreted your post, that you were puttin Texans Chick on blast. When it was clearly offseason rumor based on all the possible places he could land. She has a long history of being in the know as well, I just don't know why you were so "disappointed". You basically questioned her credibility:

It's pretty disheartening that hearsay can spread like that. Especially from someone as reputable and, usually, credible as Texans Chick

That's really what I have a problem with, at no point did anyone's post that I read (and I haven't read every single word) call it anything other than rumor.

Alas, I am not trying to enter into a pissing contest, I have made my point and I will leave it at that.

A counter from another FanHouse blog:

Former Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson was unpopular with the fans and, according to various reports, with his teammates. But one former Bears teammate disputes a report that the team's defense conspired to injure him in practice.

That former teammate, offensive lineman Ruben Brown, told a local radio station, per David Haugh of the Chicago Tribune:

"That sounds like a lot of mumbo-jumbo," the former Bears guard said. "Nobody does that anymore. We all respect each other's right to earn money. I mean, we're all trying to make it, and that makes no sense.

"You're saying Mike Brown, Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs, outstanding stand-up people in the community and on the team, leaders of our team, wanted to go and hurt another teammate?"
My hunch: The defensive players didn't like Benson, didn't like his work ethic, and didn't like that he was one of the highest-paid players on the team before he ever stepped on the field. As a result, they probably hit him a little harder in practice than teammates usually hit each other. But I doubt they actively set out to tear his ACL.

And isn't this sort of a "welcome to the NFL" approach to most rookies..........then add the a&&hol& factor..........and therein lies the added
attention from team mates to this particular rookie.

Just to throw something out there factually. Benson wasn't even driving when he was arrested the first time. He was anchored in a cove where folks commonly go party. The cops did a "safety inspection" to get on board since there had obviously been no visible boating activity and decided to give him a field sobriety test on the boat. Don't know about the 2nd arrest, but the first one wasn't like he was out driving drunk and got pulled or obvious impairment.

He was destined to fail that, those things are tough to do sober on stable ground much less a rocking boat............. & he probably was drunk too, he's probably lucky he didn't fall over & crack his head open.

If it has to be a HB, I cut Darius Walker, or someone even lower (don't know anyone past 5 deep). Benson has a much higher ceiling, and Walker isn't so talented that its not worth the risk.

I don't know if hes better than Green or Brown, probably is better than Slaton... I won't mention Taylor (I'm a fan - think he could be really really good). But the point is that he could be. He has a much better chance to be than Darius Walker.

I'd take a bigger, faster, stronger, meaner felon of a football player over the smaller, weaker, slower, nice more role model friendly player any day of the week.

But he's not mean on the field. He's certainly not faster or stronger on the field than any of those guys. He's been a mediocre to bad football player since his sophomore year of college. Walker won't make the active roster but may still be eligible for practice squad- something Benson isn't. So, that exchange would only hurt the depth on the team.

Let me repeat, Benson is not good!!!

But he's not mean on the field. He's certainly not faster or stronger on the field than any of those guys. He's been a mediocre to bad football player since his sophomore year of college. Walker won't make the active roster but may still be eligible for practice squad- something Benson isn't. So, that exchange would only hurt the depth on the team.

Let me repeat, Benson is not good!!!

I've been reserve to comment on Benson, being that I am a Longhorn homer and was waiting to see if there was any truth to him coming to the Texans, but this comment throws me for a loop.

CAREER STATISTICS

Rushing/Receiving
Year G/GS Rush-Yds YPC TD Long Rec-Yds YPC TD Long
2004 12/12 326-1,834 5.6 19 60/Ark 22-179 8.1 1 20/MU
2003 12/11 258-1,360 5.3 21 50/TAM 9-120 13.3 1 59t/Rice
2002 13/13 305-1,293 4.2 12 59t/ISU 21-119 5.7 0 33/LSU*
2001 12/7 +223-1,053+ 4.7 12+ 61/KU 17-203 11.9 1 60t/KU
Career 49/43 1,112-5,540 5.0 64 61/KU 69-621 9.0 3 60t/KU

How do you rush for almost 3200 yards, 40 rushing TD's in the 2 years after being a sophomore and is considered a bad player???

2004 - Benson finished with the 4th highest rushing total behind, JJ Arrington,DeAngelo Williams and Adrian Peterson. He finished 3rd in rushing TD's and averaged close to 153 yards per game.

2003- Benson finished 16th in total rushing yards and tied for 1st in rushing TD's and lead the country in scoring and beat a player named Steven Jackson who is now a heck of a back for St. Louis.

I truly believe Benson was never given a chance to thrive in Chicago. Personally I would love for him to come to our Texans and given a true chance to win a job. I don't believe A. Green and Chris Brown are the answers because they are to injury prone.

Benson is not a bad back!!

I truly believe Benson was never given a chance to thrive in Chicago. Personally I would love for him to come to our Texans and given a true chance to win a job. I don't believe A. Green and Chris Brown are the answers because they are to injury prone.

College stats aside, Benson hasn't done anything in the NFL to prove his worth.

Additionally, if you're going to label Green and Brown as injury prone you might as well do the same with Benson. He's had a season ending injury in 05 (knee) and 07 (ankle). He also missed the entire pre-season in 06 with a shoulder problem.

I've been reserve to comment on Benson, being that I am a Longhorn homer and was waiting to see if there was any truth to him coming to the Texans, but this comment throws me for a loop.

CAREER STATISTICS

Rushing/Receiving
Year G/GS Rush-Yds YPC TD Long Rec-Yds YPC TD Long
2004 12/12 326-1,834 5.6 19 60/Ark 22-179 8.1 1 20/MU
2003 12/11 258-1,360 5.3 21 50/TAM 9-120 13.3 1 59t/Rice
2002 13/13 305-1,293 4.2 12 59t/ISU 21-119 5.7 0 33/LSU*
2001 12/7 +223-1,053+ 4.7 12+ 61/KU 17-203 11.9 1 60t/KU
Career 49/43 1,112-5,540 5.0 64 61/KU 69-621 9.0 3 60t/KU

How do you rush for almost 3200 yards, 40 rushing TD's in the 2 years after being a sophomore and is considered a bad player???

2004 - Benson finished with the 4th highest rushing total behind, JJ Arrington,DeAngelo Williams and Adrian Peterson. He finished 3rd in rushing TD's and averaged close to 153 yards per game.

2003- Benson finished 16th in total rushing yards and tied for 1st in rushing TD's and lead the country in scoring and beat a player named Steven Jackson who is now a heck of a back for St. Louis.

Well, here's how you do it. You play for Mack Brown and so play against cream puffs like Rice, Tulane, New Mexico... then, you further pad your stats against teams like Baylor, Texas Tech, Oklahoma st., and what was a ridiculously weak Big 12 north.

On top of that, you play with Vince Young, who was such a threat in the zone-read that he created huge holes for a back to run through.

Being a UT homer, why don't you get your hands on a tape of him as a freshman and watch him run. Then, watch him later in his career. If you're honest with yourself, regardless of statistics, it's very clear that he lost the explosiveness and determination later in his UT career that he had his freshman year.

Back