Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The day mario got lapped...

I agree....way too many of our fans just accept rotten play and seem to be ok with guys never reaching their potential. I'm only happy with the Mario pick if Carr proves to be a franchise QB. So far after most of the '06 season we have a 3-4 end playing a 4-3 tackle and a mediocre QB that can only win if the other players make plays.

That is a rather unfortunate place to be as a fan.

Amazing how people in this message board are. Y'all settle for mediocracy, or less.

VY was the right answer. He has all of the intangibles that Carr will never had. He is a natural proven winner, A leader, A guy that will stick up for his team and vice versa.

We let him go, now he will make us eat dirt on sunday.:tearup:

VY is not proven at anything yet...
even if he had been, on draft day he had not yet played in the NFL. thats called a crap shoot.

on draft day we already had a QB that was resigned for several years, why would we draft an unproven college QB and pay him big money, when that position was filled?

we did not let him go, he never played for us, and even if we had not drafted MW, he would not have been second choice.

and as far as eating dirt... If we lose, it will probably not be because of him, hes not as great as some people make him out to be at this point. He may be one day, but for now he's just learning the NFL game. If he keeps relying on his running ability with QB pads on, he may find himself among a long line of injured QB's who thought they could be RB's in the NFL. :crutch:

VY is not proven at anything yet...

The Titans did not start winning games until Vince took over. It is pointless to bring up anything other than that fact because right now perception is reality, and the reality is that Vince's team has won 3 in a row against good teams while we are still being laughed at with Carr under center. Feel free to start throwing out stats and all that other nonsene, but you'd be better off pissing into the wind because it doesn't really matter.

I agree....way too many of our fans just accept rotten play and seem to be ok with guys never reaching their potential. I'm only happy with the Mario pick if Carr proves to be a franchise QB. So far after most of the '06 season we have a 3-4 end playing a 4-3 tackle and a mediocre QB that can only win if the other players make plays.

great post:rolleyes: (most of it is fine but you're a vince homer)

as much as you'd like to ignore it, VY has had guys make plays aswell- pacman, bironas to mention just 2...

remember 3-4 week ago vince blew a 20 point lead at home where a win would mean they'd really be in the playoff picture now- i normally wouldnt blame him for that but since every W/L is oon the qb...

I think Mario has shown some signs this year that he was the right pick for our franchise. Bush has had his moments in the sun as well in New Orleans. However, I think the best player in this draft was Vince Young. His will to win is just contagious and a breath of fresh air.

I saw VY's game last Sunday. He had some bad throws. He made some rookie mistakes. However, when 3rd down came around and they needed to move the chains, the guy just got it done. Sometimes by foot, sometimes through the air, sometimes by just willing it to happen. He doesnt like to lose and those players do not grow on trees. They are born from an inner pride and belief in their abilities. It is hard to have one player infect a whole NFL team with a new outlook but one dropped in our lap last summer and we passed.

When I watch Young play I see a lot of Staubach in him. He just finds a way to get that first down or get it into the endzone. He inspires other players around him. Those type of players are hard to find in the NFL, moreso than any other sport. The stars aligned, the heavenly powers smiled upon the fortune, but yet we nonetheless passed on VY. Of course we can blame it on lots of people that arent around any more but one person we cant blame it on is Mario. I support Mario but he did get lapped.....of that there is no question

great post:rolleyes: (most of it is fine but you're a vince homer)

as much as you'd like to ignore it, VY has had guys make plays aswell- pacman, bironas to mention just 2...

remember 3-4 week ago vince blew a 20 point lead at home where a win would mean they'd really be in the playoff picture now- i normally wouldnt blame him for that but since every W/L is oon the qb...

you make it sound like guys aren't making plays for us........ our defense was pretty stellar, we rushed for 120 yards. & we had Janakowski working for us.

Against Buffalo, our backs ran for 130 yards..... we forced several punts, scored 2 rushing touchdowns, and returned an INT for a TD...... & he gives us 25-30 for 223 yards?? I'm not saying David lost that game, but it's ridiculous to take what the defense gives us game in & game out....... if we're going to do that, then why pay a bus driver franchise money??

How can we believe that Sage would not do as good..... why would we believe he'd be worse, and why would we believe that Vince would be doing worse, if he were starting for us this year??

you make it sound like guys aren't making plays for us........ our defense was pretty stellar, we rushed for 120 yards. & we had Janakowski working for us.

Against Buffalo, our backs ran for 130 yards..... we forced several punts, scored 2 rushing touchdowns, and returned an INT for a TD...... & he gives us 25-30 for 223 yards?? I'm not saying David lost that game, but it's ridiculous to take what the defense gives us game in & game out....... if we're going to do that, then why pay a bus driver franchise money??

How can we believe that Sage would not do as good..... why would we believe he'd be worse, and why would we believe that Vince would be doing worse, if he were starting for us this year??

Rep coming your way.

I'm only happy with the Mario pick if Carr proves to be a franchise QB.

I agree with Kaiser.... this is an odd place to be...... our defense is making strides, Mario is playing well....

I too would have liked Vince Young. I also believe it would be considered(and should be) a mistake if we are looking for a QB after next season(much worse, if we start looking in 5 weeks.....

but like a lot of things, at the time, it made sense.

Everybody knows I am no Carr lover..... but the things he is having problems with, are not the things I thought he'd have problems with. I thought we'd have seen the fetal position at least once by now.

you've been more critical of him than I have, for a lot longer, but I don't recall his accuracy beeing as bad as it's been this year, and his reluctance to throw downfield..... I don't know where that's coming from...

But if you saw all that way back when, then I can understand.

But if people ever start talking about Mario, like they talk about Julius Peppers, Bruce Smith, or Reggie White.... then I'd be very happy with the pick.

Funny... That stellar "D" against Buffalo also had us in a 14-0 nothing deficit before I could call the beer guy over to my seats.... That's the same "stellar" D that couldn't stop anyone with 2 minutes left in the game... Carr haters will suggest that Carr should have single-handedly score more points to deflect any blame from the D... Point is, You need Defense, Offense AND Special Teams to win consisitently...

Keep ignoring all those facts if you want, just don't try p***ing in the wind and tell me its raining...

Funny... That stellar "D" against Buffalo also had us in a 14-0 nothing deficit before I could call the beer guy over to my seats....

LMAO!!!

The Titans were down by 21.....With less than a quater left....

I agree to an extent. I was and am happy we got Mario but not as happy as I would have been if we had gotten Vince (considering Carr is not going to be our QB of the future).

Not that Mario is insufficient...It is just Vince could have done alot of things for this team and city, it's too bad we passed on him to see if Carr could prove he could play (maybe I should say couldn't).

Funny... That stellar "D" against Buffalo also had us in a 14-0 nothing deficit before I could call the beer guy over to my seats.... That's the same "stellar" D that couldn't stop anyone with 2 minutes left in the game... Carr haters will suggest that Carr should have single-handedly score more points to deflect any blame from the D... Point is, You need Defense, Offense AND Special Teams to win consisitently...

I understand what you're saying...but I blame Richard Smith for the 14-0 and blowing it at the end. He even admitted the playcalling was bad and he blew it. Sure players have to make the play, but some calls are better suited for certain situations than others. Smith put them in a position to allow their weaknesses to be exploited. Why he called a prevent for that last drive and then switched to a four man front (taking out a safety) is a mindset that I'll never understand. I think he's in over his head, but that' just my take on it.

With regards to Carr, he should have made a complete pass on 3rd and 2 against the Bills to seal the deal and win the game. He had just completed 22 passes in a row, so it's not that much to ask. I don't blame him for the loss, but it certainly shed some light on the simple fact that he's not a clutch QB, and we can't depend on him to win games (or even seal the deal when it really counts).

I understand what you're saying...but I blame Richard Smith for the 14-0 and blowing it at the end. He even admitted the playcalling was bad and he blew it. Sure players have to make the play, but some calls are better suited for certain situations than others. Smith put them in a position to allow their weaknesses to be exploited. Why he called a prevent for that last drive and then switched to a four man front (taking out a safety) is a mindset that I'll never understand. I think he's in over his head, but that' just my take on it.

I think Smith and the coaching staff are still growing into this team. Smith is still trying to figure out a way to get his style of play to fit with these defensive players, and on the other side Kubiak is trying to do the same. I am impressed with the coaching staff so far, and don't mind seeing some mistakes made. Atleast I know Smith will be accountable when he messes up. It's better to see those mistakes now than in a few years when we all think this team will be starting to post winning records. Smith seems like a man who understands his mistakes and learns from them.

DB - I hear what you are saying. But my point is that there is one glaring weakness on this team - in ALL 3 phases of the game - talent... I like Petey Faggins, but he got smoked. Fool me once shame on you fool me twice, and I am tackling you and taking the pass interference penalty - but you are NOT getting behind me again.

Actually Kubes took the nut on that one.. I don't beleive we should have been throwing in that situation anyway.... Thats on Kubes 100%.

LMAO!!!

The Titans were down by 21.....With less than a quater left....

Not exactly what that has to do with the price of tea in China... Because if you are trying to compare games, its not apples to apples..

Eli and Giants = meltdown
Losman and Bills = did not meltdown.

So considering Dunta's interception and the offense scoring a couple of times to actually take the lead, how does that translate to our D not being able to stop the Bills on the final drive of the game to preserve the lead for the W...

Obviously its your peragotive to be hater, just for the sake of hating, but man come up with some better arguments than its all Carrs fault...

Mario was lapped about 4 games ago....He has 4 1/2 sacks and one was because he touched Leftwhich after he fell, Babin who never did anything at Outside linebacker now switches to DE that he played in college and he's 1/2 sack behind Mario and has only played about 1/8 the time....Why for 2 years did the media hammer Babin for how he played at OLB and called him a bust. Now he's a 1/2 a sack behind the 54 million dollar man, has played about 200 - 250 less plays and knowone says a word about Mario beeing a bust. Well except me that is....Babin might me a 10 to 12 sack guy a year playing at DE if he played every down?
Hey why isn't anyone saying anything about Carr passing for 32 yards this weekend. Maybe in the off season we should see if he not only needs a contract extension but extra money. Naaa let's just sign Jeff George or hey how about Gannon? Maybe we can get him out of the booth.

So considering Dunta's interception and the offense scoring a couple of times to actually take the lead, how does that translate to our D not being able to stop the Bills on the final drive of the game to preserve the lead for the W...

First you said that VY had guys making plays for him.....

Then you said, the Giants had a "melt-down"

I'm not going to argue with you, because if you can't see the irony of saying VY has guys making plays for him, when our QB basically was just on the field doing something my grandma could have done, then I can't help you....

We managed -5 passing yards....Our QB basically was just a hand-off man....Surely he had as much to do with that victory as everyone else....

I can be happy with the Mario pick as long as he succeeds. It will help if we find a solution at QB, but i won't hold that against Mario since all he can do is take care of his own position.

I think Smith and the coaching staff are still growing into this team. Smith is still trying to figure out a way to get his style of play to fit with these defensive players, and on the other side Kubiak is trying to do the same. I am impressed with the coaching staff so far, and don't mind seeing some mistakes made. Atleast I know Smith will be accountable when he messes up. It's better to see those mistakes now than in a few years when we all think this team will be starting to post winning records. Smith seems like a man who understands his mistakes and learns from them.

While I certainly respect your optimism, I do not share it when it comes to Richard Smith. I bolded the last part because he should know the potential to blow games with a prevent defense as much as anyone...he was a coach on the 35-3 Oiler debacle (not blaming him)...I just hate the prevent with a passion.

Coaches come from the systems they learned in, and in Smith's case, I'm just not all that impressed with his resume. Nothing on it really screams dominant defense, and one of my big fears is that we have this phenomenal talent but can't put the pieces together to make a consistent squad (not meaning to be negative or anything).

SMITH’S COACHING LEDGER

2006: Defensive Coordinator, Houston Texans

2005: Defensive Coordinator, Miami Dolphins

2003-04: Assistant Head Coach/Linebacker, Detroit Lions

1997-02: Linebackers Coach, San Francisco 49ers

1996: Special Teams Coach, Denver Broncos

1993-95: Special Teams/Linebackers, Denver Broncos

1992: Special Teams/Assistant Offensive Line, Houston Oilers

1990-91: Linebackers Coach, Houston Oilers

1988-89: Tight Ends/Special Teams Coach, Houston Oilers

1987: Linebackers/Special Teams Coach, University of Arizona

1984-86: Outside Linebackers/Special Teams Coach, California

1981-83: Defensive Line Coach, Cal State-Fullerton

1979-80: Offensive Line Coach, Rio Hondo (Calif.) Junior College

First you said that VY had guys making plays for him.....

Then you said, the Giants had a "melt-down"

I'm not going to argue with you, because if you can't see the irony of saying VY has guys making plays for him, when our QB basically was just on the field doing something my grandma could have done, then I can't help you....

We managed -5 passing yards....Our QB basically was just a hand-off man....Surely he had as much to do with that victory as everyone else....

Maybe I have slept since then, but when did I say VY had plays made for him or that our QB was a major contributor to the win in Oakland... Please, do not put words in my mouth..

The only point that I have made is that you need all three phases of the game to win consistently. Sure when you get there sometimes one phase can pull a game out for you.. But we are not there. We need all three and until then we will be 4-12. Maybe 6-10 or 7-9 next year...

My other point is blame the QB all you want, but that is not going to change the fact that this a bad team... Throwing VY, Montana, or anyone else in the mix without anything adding to those other elements and this team is just as bad as it is now...

Mario was lapped about 4 games ago....He has 4 1/2 sacks and one was because he touched Leftwhich after he fell, Babin who never did anything at Outside linebacker now switches to DE that he played in college and he's 1/2 sack behind Mario and has only played about 1/8 the time....Why for 2 years did the media hammer Babin for how he played at OLB and called him a bust. Now he's a 1/2 a sack behind the 54 million dollar man, has played about 200 - 250 less plays and knowone says a word about Mario beeing a bust. Well except me that is....Babin might me a 10 to 12 sack guy a year playing at DE if he played every down?
Hey why isn't anyone saying anything about Carr passing for 32 yards this weekend. Maybe in the off season we should see if he not only needs a contract extension but extra money. Naaa let's just sign Jeff George or hey how about Gannon? Maybe we can get him out of the booth.

Mario has had plantar fasciatis in his right foot since somewhere around the Giants game. He's been running with a noticible limp and basicaly cant push off his right foot. Expecting him to keep getting sacks in that situation is stupid...he's already taking one for the team by gutting it out and getting on the field.

wow mario is the only defensive lineman that gained a "Sack" because the QB fell down first and then Mario touched him..

hmmm maybe that stat should be thrown out the window along with a "tackle" when a QB slides feet first.

Mario has had plantar fasciatis in his right foot since somewhere around the Giants game. He's been running with a noticible limp and basicaly cant push off his right foot. Expecting him to keep getting sacks in that situation is stupid...he's already taking one for the team by gutting it out and getting on the field.

I had the same problem about five years ago the pain is in your heal and it effects you most in the morning when you take your first 20 steps.Its something he can play with,and it is something that everyone can say it limits his play.does it who knows.

I had the same problem about five years ago the pain is in your heal and it effects you most in the morning when you take your first 20 steps.Its something he can play with,and it is something that everyone can say it limits his play.does it who knows.

Tim Duncan had it for most of last year. Go check last his stats from last year to see just how much it affects a player. It also dosnt help when he is a 300 lb mamouth...big guys tend to have lots of foot problems.

Tim Duncan had it for most of last year. Go check last his stats from last year to see just how much it affects a player. It also dosnt help when he is a 300 lb mamouth...big guys tend to have lots of foot problems.

I believe he plays basketball. There is a lot more running and a lot more jumping than a football game. Duncan played about 80 games last year..He is not twenty-one years old. He is around thirty. In basketball life, he is a old man.

I believe he is a basketball player.There is a lot more running and jumping than football.Duncan played about eighty game last year.He is not twenty-one years old, he is about thirty thats and old man in basketball years

Keep ignoring all those facts if you want, just don't try p***ing in the wind and tell me its raining...

I said the D was stellar against the Raiders....... I said we had guys making plays on deffense(Faggins, 'meco, Dunta, Babin, Mario, Greenwood) and our QB couldn't throw for his normal 6 yards per pass..... we had 120 yards rushing from our running backs, and our QB was nowhere near his 22 for 22, 4 TDs in the 4th Qtr self. D'ya think defenses have figured him out yet?? could be.

If you want to bit¢h about the Defense...... you'll have to do it some other week, because they did their job this past Sunday. Wanna talk about our poor run blocking...... nope, they did their job. Wanna talk about our round has been RB........ 95 yards on 13 carries(against a pretty stout D no less)....sorry, but we can't really complain about much in those areas.

I believe he is a basketball player.There is a lot more running and jumping than football.Duncan played about eighty game last year.He is not twenty-one years old, he is about thirty thats and old man in basketball years

Come on Johnyboy....Why would the coaching staff come out and say they made a mistake by drafting him? He was lazy in college, and he's lazy now but with 54 million reasons....He's a rookie. He missed a month in the summer because of an infected toe, Hasn't practiced in a month. What the heck is he going to be like in 3 years? There's always an excuse....I'll quote the great Lawrence Taylor "When your an all pro, you gotta play when your hurt baby".
Where the 15 sacks I heard about when they drafted him. It's gonna take him 3 years to get that?

Its not Mario its the sorry OL . Worth a try .

*SIGH* I already stated how wrong I was about Mario in the other Mario thread .

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=919385&postcount=6

I think you are :stirpot: and :deadhorse

And I said that it was a marathon... Which obviously has not ended but it looks good so far.
Dude, don't worry about it. Everyone's just happy that...everyone was wrong. Michael Smith is the only talking head I remember giving him any props. I was a Mario supporter, and I doubted him as recently as this past pre-season.:fans:

Back