Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Week 14: Texans vs Jets Preview

Wow, that's interesting.

Hopefully we'll put Tavarias Thomas on him.
It looks like they beat passing teams that try to squeeze the ball into tight coverage with their good defensive backs. I do think their run defense is their Achilles heal. This may be the game to keep the ball on the ground, due to the weather and run defense.

We have beat much better Quarterbacks and their teams, lock down the run game and a wet ball or two should help.

Okay, my amateur/expert opinion of this game - Jets have the edge on defense but their offense sucks big time.
I think our offense can score enough points to win this one and our D is decent.
The weather will likely be ugly, and that effects their O too.
Texans by a field goal.

Texans D is 11th best in PPG, and the Jets are 12th. Both defenses are good, albeit not great. And they are built differently, even though the scheme is similar. I favor the Jets against the pass and the Texans against the run. Breece Hall hasn’t practiced all week. Assuming he is a scratch, That would be a blow to their running game, and it would likely put Wilson in a lot of 3rd and long situations.

The Texans have made massive improvement in their run d. WA is elite against the run, and there is much better gap integrity. We have seen the Texans pass D give up a lot of big plays to iffy QB’s like Ritter. That said, we are as healthy as we’ve been all season in the secondary, and the weather conditions favor the short passing game. I think Wilson will test our guys deep sometime early in the game and later in the game if they fall behind by more than a score. Wilson has very good arm talent and I hope our guys aren’t sleep walking just assuming it’s all short stuff. With slick turf, the WR knows where he is going. A slip and fall bomb isn’t out of the question.

all said, I’m going 19-13 Texans.

I've been visiting a couple of Jets forums just to get a feel for what they are saying. The fan base is really disillusioned with the team. They sound like us the last 2 years.

One thing I find funny is the difference in their assessment of the Texans & ours. Here is a quote from one of their posters which several people agreed with.

"One thing I'm looking forward to seeing is how our pass rush stacks up against their line. Everyone has been saying Stroud is great, and he is, but every time I've watched the Texans Stroud has a brick wall in front of him for at least the first 3 seconds. The Texans have had great pass protection. They did lose another starter at guard last week though. Should be an interesting match up."

Now I believe the Texans have done a pretty good job with the OL in pass protection overall. Especially when you consider all the injuries but I don't believe I would call them a brick wall.

For this game we drew quite possibly the worst ref crew in the league. Brad Allen’s crew. The same crew that officiated the 2018 NO/LA NFC championship and continue to suck. Should be interesting
This is the crew under investigation for doing a crappy job last week. They will be calling things very tight
Allen's crew will be under increased scrutiny when they officiate Sunday's game at MetLife Stadium between the Texans and Jets. Many, including the NFL, will be watching to see if there's another decision by Allen's crew that draws the ire of teams the way it did the past two weeks.

I've been visiting a couple of Jets forums just to get a feel for what they are saying. The fan base is really disillusioned with the team. They sound like us the last 2 years.

One thing I find funny is the difference in their assessment of the Texans & ours. Here is a quote from one of their posters which several people agreed with.

"One thing I'm looking forward to seeing is how our pass rush stacks up against their line. Everyone has been saying Stroud is great, and he is, but every time I've watched the Texans Stroud has a brick wall in front of him for at least the first 3 seconds. The Texans have had great pass protection. They did lose another starter at guard last week though. Should be an interesting match up."

Now I believe the Texans have done a pretty good job with the OL in pass protection overall. Especially when you consider all the injuries but I don't believe I would call them a brick wall.
Broncos pass rush didn't think they were playing against a brick wall.

Back