Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Week 9: Texans vs Buccaneers

Baker Mayfield can be rattled if you get to him and has a penchant for forcing the issue when he's frustrated. Our secondary gotta be careful if Baker tosses 50/50 balls as Evans and Godwin will have the advantage vs our secondary on those types of passes. The Bucs defense is physical but nothing special IMO. If the Texans can keep them off balance the offense should have success. It's going to be interesting to see how the game flows and if adjustments are made when needed.

At this point I am in the “get excited for home games, disappointed for road games” crowd.

The team is young and inconsistent which is to be expected. They will have us dreaming of hanging another AFC South banner after a home game performance and then talking draft after a road game disappointment.

Since this is a home game, lets discuss playoff plans! Anybody selling tickets?!

The Bucs defense is physical but nothing special IMO.
The Bucs have a bend, but don't break defense. They are 29th in the league in yards allowed/drive. But they've held offenses to 12 TDs vs 14 FGs. And the Bucs defense leads the league in % of drives ending in turnovers, 19.2%. They also lead the lead in lowest red zone percentage at 27.3%. The Texans have to play smart on offense. And they have thus far, leading the league in lowest % of drives ending in turnovers, 5.3%.

As you said, the Bucs still have good WRs in Evans and Godwin. But this season's Mayfield doesn't like to hold on to the ball, with an average completion of 10.3 yards/reception. The Bucs rushing attack is almost non-existent. Still, RB Rachaad White is a threat as a receiver out of the backfield. And that has been a problem for the Texans defense recently, giving up an average of 52.4 receiving yards to RBs over the past 5 games.

In another tight, low scoring game, I like the Texans 19-17 over the Bucs.

Last edited:
The Bucs have a bend, but don't break defense. They are 29th in the league in yards allowed/drive. But they've held offenses to 12 TDs vs 14 FGs. And the Bucs defense leads the league in % of drives ending in turnovers, 19.2%. They also lead the lead in lowest red zone percentage at 27.3%. The Texans have to play smart on offense. And they have thus far, leading the league in lowest % of drives ending in turnovers, 5.3%.

As you said, the Bucs still have good WRs in Evans and Godwin. But this season's Mayfield doesn't like to hold on to the ball, with an average completion of 10.3 yards/reception. The Bucs rushing attack is almost non-existent. Still, RB Rachaad White is a threat as a receiver out of the backfield. And that has been a problem for the Texans defense recently, giving up an average of 52.4 receiving yards over the past 5 games.

So these two teams are more alike than anything...not perfect match...defenses better at keeping points of the board than containing yardage and offenses that pass better than they run even if they want be run first teams.

As you said, the Bucs still have good WRs in Evans and Godwin. But this season's Mayfield doesn't like to hold on to the ball, with an average completion of 10.3 yards/reception. The Bucs rushing attack is almost non-existent. Still, RB Rachaad White is a threat as a receiver out of the backfield. And that has been a problem for the Texans defense recently, giving up an average of 52.4 receiving yards to RBs over the past 5 games.

sounds like Lovie left his imprint.

This will be the first time I've seen the Bucs this season. I'm interested in what direction the Bucs plan to move to. Seems like they are still in a post Brady limbo.
Baker has played fairly well this yr. The Bucs should be leading their division but they aren't.

The defense wasn’t the problem in those three games, the anemic offense was to blame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truth is against the Panthers Ryans had the choice of attempting a long FG or punting and the defense trying to hold them. The defense failed to keep Ryans faith. BTW, I would have done the same thing Ryans did

Truth is against the Panthers Ryans had the choice of attempting a long FG or punting and the defense trying to hold them. The defense failed to keep Ryans faith. BTW, I would have done the same thing Ryans did
Has Fairbairn ever made a 58 yd FG?

We come today in memory of former NFL player Michael Deiter who valiantly tried to defend his QB while lying on his back.
The last anyone saw of Dieter was his teeth in the ankle of opponent Vita.

In lieu of flowers Badboy is accepting cash donations for the "Deiter was a dude" foundation.
In complete transparency, let it be known that bad boy will be taking quarterly withdrawals from the foundation for his personal needs.

Deiter is the last Center on the roster.

The depth chart has RG Nick Broeker listed as his backup. I presume he had a quick introduction this week to the position.

I don't know if Morrissey is still eligible to be elevated on game day from the PS.

I've looked at Deiter's PFF numbers and he's hasn't graded well. If he doesn't get killed, I hope he doesn't get his quarterback killed.

Texans will lose, Texans will be humiliated and we will show why we give the Cardnals #1 overall pick in 2024.

(Having painfully low expectations was working before..... so I am doing my part for the team again.... not that Im superstitious or anything.)

The fact is, despite our doing better this year, the Texans are still not a good team. They don't have enough pieces to put together a long run in the playoffs.

As it has always been, "next year" is our mantra. But I don't see a reason the Texans won't end up with 7 or 8 wins this year with our schedule.

No Pierce this Sunday. Fact is, I'm uncertain if that will actually help or hurt. The Texans, right now, are 26th in the league in rushing yards. Tampa Bay is last.
Tampa Bay is 10th in rushing ypg allowed, Houston is 11th

I’ll go 2 sacks for the Bucs so give me the under.

I know this is taboo. I wish no Ill will toward anyone. But I’m not all that upset that DP will miss the game. I know the Bucs have a good run defense, but this isn’t the steel curtain. A decent afternoon running the rock is not out of the question if you have the horses to do it. DP isn’t the guy right now. Let him sit.

My take is still that Boone should start. He won’t. Devin will. Coaches are stubborn as hell, and woe to admit they are wrong. Elevating Boone from 3rd to 1st will invite uncomfortable questions. I do hope that Boone at least gets plenty of opportunities. 10 Carries and 2-3 passes should give everyone a good look at Boone. I’m not comparing Boone to Barry Sanders or anything but in limited chances he looks to be the best of a substandard lot of backs. Put him in coach!

I know this is taboo. I wish no Ill will toward anyone. But I’m not all that upset that DP will miss the game. I know the Bucs have a good run defense, but this isn’t the steel curtain. A decent afternoon running the rock is not out of the question if you have the horses to do it. DP isn’t the guy right now. Let him sit.
I haven't been convinced that Pierce has been the major problem in the running game. But everyone's theory gets a test this week.

I haven't been convinced that Pierce has been the major problem in the running game. But everyone's theory gets a test this week.

indeed. 4.3 ypc in 2022 vs 2.9 ypc in 2023. Almost inarguably better coaching in a scheme that has made tended to make average backs look very good.

the only other variable is the line, and anyone else blocking such as FB and TE. Do you think the run blocking is that much worse than last year? It’s really difficult to break down each play and iso on the line play. I tend to pay special attention during replays. I will say that Dalton Schultz is bad at blocking. Worse than I expected, but that can’t account for the issues so if it’s not mostly Pierce what is it in your opinion?

Back