Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Week 9: Texans vs Buccaneers

What do people see Tank Dell doing? He will be on the field near 80% of snaps with Woods out, so he should be heavily involved. Also, with Pierce out, the team might use Dell as an extension of the run game with quick passes as he was used in his first preseason game getting him even more involved.

indeed. 4.3 ypc in 2022 vs 2.9 ypc in 2023. Almost inarguably better coaching in a scheme that has made tended to make average backs look very good.

the only other variable is the line, and anyone else blocking such as FB and TE. Do you think the run blocking is that much worse than last year? It’s really difficult to break down each play and iso on the line play. I tend to pay special attention during replays. I will say that Dalton Schultz is bad at blocking. Worse than I expected, but that can’t account for the issues so if it’s not mostly Pierce what is it in your opinion?
I don't know about the blocking. But I know Pierce was violent at the point of attack. If he got 4.3 ypc last year, 4 of them were after contact. This year, he's probably getting .3 after contact.

The system is one thing. The line isn't doing a great job. But last year's Pierce would still be trucking dudes at the LOS.

I don't know about the blocking. But I know Pierce was violent at the point of attack. If he got 4.3 ypc last year, 4 of them were after contact. This year, he's probably getting .3 after contact.

The system is one thing. The line isn't doing a great job. But last year's Pierce would still be trucking dudes at the LOS.
The effects remind me of Foster’s no meat diet.

I mentioned this during camp when I had heard that the Texans had asked Pierce to lose weight. The idea was to turn him into Roger Craig. They wanted him quicker, more of a factor in the passing game, etc. in hindsight, this was a huge miscalculation.

He has lost his edge and he no longer runs people over routinely. He’s shown it a couple of times, but very few..very far between. It’s like neutering a bull. He is now content to graze in the pasture.

I think that is one issue. The 2nd issue is he isn’t suited to this scheme. He is not finding the cutback lanes even when they are there. He was getting slightly better at that..but still very underwhelming.

Conclusion? The line isn’t a great run blocking line. In order for Pierce to find success as it stands is if they happen to open a huge lane. How often has that happened?

What do people see Tank Dell doing? He will be on the field near 80% of snaps with Woods out, so he should be heavily involved. Also, with Pierce out, the team might use Dell as an extension of the run game with quick passes as he was used in his first preseason game getting him even more involved.
I see Tank Dell doing an end sweep in the first quarter and wrenching his knee or a hamstring and go out for the rest of the year.

Nah, 122 yards and two TDs.

Pierce's numbers from 2022 and 2023:
2022 yards before contact: 2.0 yards/attempt
2022 yards after contact: 2.3 yards/attempt
2023 yards before contact: 1.3 yards/attempt
2023 yards after contact: 1.7 yards/attempt

The differences are significant. Pierce is breaking fewer tackles (down from 8 attempts/broken tackle to near 11). A big difference is Pierce is being hit before he builds up speed. 15.6% of his rushes end up behind the LOS this season.
Do you think the run blocking is that much worse than last year?
Well, yes. That's understandable as the 2022 OL had only 6 missed starts collectively the entire season. The 2023 OL has had 30 missed games due to injuries. No consistency. These guys don't even know who they will practice next to. What position they will be playing, week to week. The coaches have done a bang-up getting what they have, considering a new blocking system is being implemented. And it's a new system for the lead RB, also.
The 2nd issue is he isn’t suited to this scheme. He is not finding the cutback lanes even when they are there. He was getting slightly better at that..but still very underwhelming.

Conclusion? The line isn’t a great run blocking line. In order for Pierce to find success as it stands is if they happen to open a huge lane. How often has that happened?
You are way, way, way too early to come to this conclusion. Let's see some continuity from the O-line before making declarative statements on anyone..

Last edited:
Pierce's numbers from 2022 and 2023:
2022 yard before contact: 2.0 yards/attempt
2022 yard after contact: 2.3 yards/attempt
2023 yard before contact: 1.3 yards/attempt
2023 yard after contact: 1.7 yards/attempt

The differences are significant. Pierce is breaking fewer tackles (down from 8 attempts/broken tackle yo near 11). A big difference is Pierce is being hit before he builds up speed. 15.6% of his rushes end up behind the LOS this season.

Well, yes. That's understandable as the 2022 OL had only 6 missed starts collectively the entire season. The 2023 OL has had 30 missed games due to injuries. No consistency. These guys don't even know who they will practice next to. What position they will be playing, week to week. The coaches have done a bang-up getting what they have, considering a new blocking system is being implemented. And it's a new system for the lead RB, also.

You are way, way, way too early to come to this conclusion. Let's see some continuity from the O-line before making declarative statements on anyone..

Does Pierce look like he fits the Texans current scheme?
Is the offensive line completely to blame?
How is Stroud, a rookie QB managing to have such a low sack & interception pattern if the offensive line sucks? Or is it because he fits the scheme?
Pierce lacks vision, doesn’t use his blocks effectively, takes on tacklers head on instead of trying to avoid contact, he seeks it. Sorry to say he’s not a fit, but can still be useful just not as a RB1.

Look Caserio first two drafts were horrible, coaching changes I know but if you only pull one player each year (Nico 2021 Petrie 2022) you fall behind the curve. Enter next HC you hit gold. I’ve said this from day one Nick is a great facilitator but not so much talent evaluator. However, since we do have competent football people in the building, he rides with their evaluations it will bring the Texans from bottom rung to at least mid-level.
I just prefer a brilliant mind with evaluations supporting this coaching staff. It could be even better!!! However they work things out will determine the future. Like KC or Philly vs Chicago and Carolina. Don’t blame ownership mandates either, we’re in a sweet spot that all are the same page. You think Boone will have his breakout performance today? I do.

:logo:

Look Caserio first two drafts were horrible, coaching changes I know but if you only pull one player each year (Nico 2021 Petrie 2022) you fall behind the curve. Enter next HC you hit gold. I’ve said this from day one Nick is a great facilitator but not so much talent evaluator. However, since we do have competent football people in the building, he rides with their evaluations it will bring the Texans from bottom rung to at least mid-level.
I just prefer a brilliant mind with evaluations supporting this coaching staff. It could be even better!!! However they work things out will determine the future. Like KC or Philly vs Chicago and Carolina. Don’t blame ownership mandates either, we’re in a sweet spot that all are the same page. You think Boone will have his breakout performance today? I do.

These guys are only in their 2nd yr and have been injured.

Can you tell me before the next draft who is going to pull a hamstring and miss 11 games like Scruggs has?

How is Stroud, a rookie QB managing to have such a low sack & interception pattern if the offensive line sucks? Or is it because he fits the scheme?
Pierce lacks vision, doesn’t use his blocks effectively, takes on tacklers head on instead of trying to avoid contact, he seeks it. Sorry to say he’s not a fit, but can still be useful just not as a RB1.
1. No
2. Not necessarily but they’re not winning in the trenches
3. Because they’re getting the ball out of his hands quickly. And the line is better at pass pro versus run pro.

Are passing blocking and run blocking the same? If an O-line is adequate at passing blocking, therefore they must be adequate in run blocking? What does scheme fit have to do with anything if the penetration is so deep that over 15% of rushes end up in tackles behind the LOS?

Another example of the power of suggestion on the internet which creates group think.

The last three games the offense has struggled. Teams are now taking away the middle of the field and the run game has yet to emerge consistently. All three games have come down to the defense holding the opposing offense on the final drive and they are 1-2. Arguably, the only reason they beat the Saints is because the Saints needed a TD instead of just getting into FG range like the Falcons and Panthers.

It’s time for the offense to get on track. Need consistent sustained drives. That starts with the running game. We will see if the problems are forcing Pierce instead of letting Singletary and Boone get the reps today. But they need to give the defense some breathing room.

Are passing blocking and run blocking the same? If an O-line is adequate at passing blocking, therefore they must be adequate in run blocking? What does scheme fit have to do with anything if the penetration is so deep that over 15% of rushes end up in tackles behind the LOS?

Another example of the power of suggestion on the internet which creates group think.
I’m not group think, just opposite. Run blocking is far easier than pass pro, yet they suck at it. Scheme is proven elsewhere wtf is your point? Bring up injuries that I can deal with but your not.

These guys are only in their 2nd yr and have been injured.

Can you tell me before the next draft who is going to pull a hamstring and miss 11 games like Scruggs has?
On the offensive huh? Of course not, weak. Is it really 11 games already? C’mon man

I’m not group think, just opposite. Run blocking is far easier than pass pro, yet they suck at it. Scheme is proven elsewhere wtf is your point? Bring up injuries that I can deal with but your not.
Not to the Texans. They’re graded high on pass pro and very low on run pro. They’re not the only team that struggles with run pro.

Not to the Texans. They’re graded high on pass pro and very low on run pro. They’re not the only team that struggles with run pro.
Disagree, stats lie, it’s easier. Why would Texans not throw the ball more is beyond comprehension. All this crap started when Tytus came back and was inserted @ LG. Hope to hell they move him back to RT today. Can’t tell you many times I’ve heard OL say they love taking it to the defense. Kenyon Greene is excellent in run blocking, I suppose thats why he was drafted so high. Pass pro is very skill based and cerebral in comparison. There can be no excuse.

Disagree, stats lie, it’s easier. Why would Texans not throw the ball more is beyond comprehension. All this crap started when Tytus came back and was inserted @ LG. Hope to hell they move him back to RT today. Can’t tell you many times I’ve heard OL say they love taking it to the defense. Kenyon Greene is excellent in run blocking, I suppose thats why he was drafted so high. Pass pro is very skill based and cerebral in comparison. There can be no excuse.
They’re not throwing it more because they are determined to get the running game going. And I don’t go off of stats alone. I actually watch every single game. And from what I see, they’re just not good at run pro period. They’re getting whipped in the trenches. They’re not opening up holes on a consistent basis.

You do know Tunsil is better at pass pro verses run pro correct? So I don’t get your specific evaluation here.

On the offensive huh? Of course not, weak. Is it really 11 games already? C’mon man
Offensive?

Tell me which guys are going to be hurt and I'll tell you who to draft.

1. Finding a WR like Collins in the 3rd makes that draft a win.

2. Stingley shouldn't have been the pick because of his injury history, but that was a Lovie pick. Who knew Green was going to blow out his shoulder. He had no history of shoulder injuries.

Also it is true Caserio tries to get players that the HC wants and fits the HC's scheme. This is the reason Lovie was such a bad hire, if they were going to hire Ryans who runs a totally different offense and defensive scheme.

3. Caserio is doing the same things he did with Lovie, getting the guys Ryans wants. The HC/GM are supposed to work together and Caserio has done that. Hopefully Ryans is a better judge of talent than Lovie was.

Actually 10 weeks. Scruggs was injured Aug 27 against the Saints.

He's also not playing yet and is rumored to be a couple of weeks away.

How come Scruggs isn't getting the scrutiny Stingley and Green got last yr? Could it be because some posters have their favorites or are butthurt over the Stingley pick vs the guy they wanted Lovie to pick?

I mentioned this during camp when I had heard that the Texans had asked Pierce to lose weight. The idea was to turn him into Roger Craig. They wanted him quicker, more of a factor in the passing game, etc. in hindsight, this was a huge miscalculation.

He has lost his edge and he no longer runs people over routinely. He’s shown it a couple of times, but very few..very far between. It’s like neutering a bull. He is now content to graze in the pasture.

I think that is one issue. The 2nd issue is he isn’t suited to this scheme. He is not finding the cutback lanes even when they are there. He was getting slightly better at that..but still very underwhelming.

You can't convert a power runner into a ZBS runner by simply having him lose weight.

Is it the GM's job to be a talent evaluator, which takes hours watching film. Certainly he keeps in contact with other GMs and knows who might be available, and keep tracks of FAs who are available. But there are others in the building who breaks down the strengths and weaknesses. And the coaching staff for the fit in our schemes. And he certainly in general knows the type of player that fits our schemes. But I wouldn't call what he does as talent evaluation. He's job is talent acquisition.

They’re not throwing it more because they are determined to get the running game going. And I don’t go off of stats alone. I actually watch every single game. And from what I see, they’re just not good at run pro period. They’re getting whipped in the trenches. They’re not opening up holes on a consistent basis.

You do know Tunsil is better at pass pro verses run pro correct? So I don’t get your specific evaluation here.
Then you will never understand. Inside lineman are generally not geared towards pass pro they like to take it to the defense. Tackles thrive best is space in pass pro.

Is it the GM's job to be a talent evaluator, which takes hours watching film. Certainly he keeps in contact with other GMs and knows who might be available, and keep tracks of FAs who are available. But there are others in the building who breaks down the strengths and weaknesses. And the coaching staff for the fit in our schemes. And he certainly in general knows the type of player that fits our schemes. But I wouldn't call what he does as talent evaluation. He's job is talent acquisition.
I’ve never heard him break down prospects in detail, why? Because he doesn’t know ****. He is a file clerk elevated by association with Belicheat.

Exactly

The problem around here is after yrs of the GM/HC not being on the same page posters cant tell what a GM who gets players the HC wants looks like. It's called the HC/GM being on the same page.

Just one example, Tytus Howard, for this year, his pass blocking grade is 62.1 and his run blocking grade is 50.9. In 2021 he played the season mostly at LG. His pass blocking, for the year, was graded at 70.1. His run blocking at 42.5. One game, against the Jets, he was moved to LT. His pass blocking grade for that one game was 86.4 and his run blocking 72.5.

I’ve never heard him break down prospects in detail, why? Because he doesn’t know ****. He is a file clerk elevated by association with Belicheat.

Does Roseman do what you want?

Lynch? Or does Lynch make the moves to get they players that Shanny wants? Caserio and Ryans have this type of relationship. If you want the Texans to model what the 49ers are doing? Well they're doing exactly that and it took Shanny/Lynch 3 yrs to get their program to contender status. Now I do think the Texans are ahead of schedule due to having guys like Tunsil/Collins/Greenard/Nelson/Petrie on the roster from the beginning.

He's also not playing yet and is rumored to be a couple of weeks away.

How come Scruggs isn't getting the scrutiny Stingley and Green got last yr? Could it be because some posters have their favorites or are butthurt over the Stingley pick vs the guy they wanted Lovie to pick?
Right, Wilson reported midweek that it could be one or two weeks more before he comes off IR. And then how many weeks before he is ready to play? It's possible he may not play until week 14 or 15, at the season's end. Should he even be activated to play?

Betting news article, but found this to be interesting since most have been clamoring for more from the passing game besides plays over the middle.

NFL Week 9 Best Bets: Matchup angles to bet, including Texans QB C.J. Stroud against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers defense
The matchup lends itself perfectly for the Texans, as the Buccaneers have allowed the sixth-highest rate of explosive plays. Further, teams pass against them 5% more than expected because they are far better against the run than the pass.

Does Roseman do what you want?

Lynch? Or does Lynch make the moves to get they players that Shanny wants? Caserio and Ryans have this type of relationship. If you want the Texans to model what the 49ers are doing? Well they're doing exactly that and it took Shanny/Lynch 3 yrs to get their program to contender status. Now I do think the Texans are ahead of schedule due to having guys like Tunsil/Collins/Greenard/Nelson/Petrie on the roster from the beginning.
So it’s ok to be a pigeon?

Not surprising they elevated Eiselen for the game. They didn't have another Center to back up Deiter.

Didn't know anything about him, wasn't even aware he had been signed.

6'-4"/320lbs...Yale, UFA in 2020, signed by Chicago and spent most of the past three years on their PS.

Signed by Houston on Aug 31 to our PS.

So it’s ok to be a pigeon?
It seems to be OK for the 49ers, Eagles etc...

Difference is the Texans are in their 1st yr with Ryans. Shanny/Lynch have been together 6 or 7 yrs. BTW, I dont consider making trades/doing contracts and some personnel work to be a pigeons work.

Right, Wilson reported midweek that it could be one or two weeks more before he comes off IR. And then how many weeks before he is ready to play? It's possible he may not play until week 14 or 15, at the season's end. Should he even be activated to play?
That doesn't answer the question that I put out there? Why do Stingley/Green catch crap about being a bust because they got hurt and Scruggs doesn't.

Truth is none of them busts at this point. Get them healthy and lets see what Ryans/Lovie/Caserio have been drafted.

That doesn't answer the question that I put out there? Why do Stingley/Green catch crap about being a bust because they got hurt and Scruggs doesn't.

Truth is none of them busts at this point. Get them healthy and lets see what Ryans/Lovie/Caserio have been drafted.

Stingley is going on his 5th consecutive year (3 college, 2 pro) of being constantly injured and missing time. That's a bust. Green might be rehabilitated, we'll have to wait on that. To soon to say anything about Scruggs yet.

He's not a patient runner. He does run to contact.

But he's a talented runner. A talented OC should be able to make something work.

Back