Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

3rd hand Texans rumor

Agree with the second part. I know its hard with a lot of UT fans here sometimes but Benson didn't play very long with Vince. Two years prior Benson came to UT heralded as a freshman. Was doing very well and only in 2004, his last year, Vince became a fulltime starter.

Not everything UT revolves around Vince unlike some want to imagine(not saying you personally). Benson also played behind some damn good O-lines at UT as well. IMO I think the Bears/Benson relationship was doomed from the start. I think it'd be good for both to part ways.
Benson was a top HS National recruit so I know the football world has been high on him for a while. I just think his stock soared once paired with Young since he took so much attention from the front 7 to defend in College. I overvalued him myself.

Benson was a top HS National recruit so I know the football world has been high on him for a while. I just think his stock soared once paired with Young since he took so much attention from the front 7 to defend in College. I overvalued him myself.

He may just be one of many that showed less effort once "they got paid". Kinda like what they're saying about Alexander. Who knows?

I'm with you though, I overvalued him as well.

FWIW, I also don't think Charles will make much of an impact in the NFL.

FWIW, things I've heard about Benson that he has got the NFL big head and doesn't want to put the hours in.

It may take a little digging but I recall articles out there about him being a total shithead in the locker room.

FWIW, things I've heard about Benson that he has got the NFL big head and doesn't want to put the hours in.

I don't think Benson is well liked by his teammates either. Didn't they tell on him when he left the sidelines early at a preseason game a few years ago?

No linkage, but someone from another MB has said that Kirwin has been informed by non-Texans team that there is no truth to the rumor.

No linkage, but someone from another MB has said that Kirwin has been informed by non-Texans team that there is no truth to the rumor.

We all know how the game telephone works but from the way he worded it I don't know if it was "bunk" or if it just didn't work out.
"Pat Kirwan just said that the rumor he "reported" yesterday was bunk. The coach from the other team allegedly involved called him and told him not to go with it, that it wasn't happening.

If there was another team I don't see how it could be "bunk."

We all know how the game telephone works but from the way he worded it I don't know if it was "bunk" or if it just didn't work out.
"Pat Kirwan just said that the rumor he "reported" yesterday was bunk. The coach from the other team allegedly involved called him and told him not to go with it, that it wasn't happening.

If there was another team I don't see how it could be "bunk."

My normal guess in these situations is that the teams involved have spoken but nothing came of it and niether team wants to let the names/picks discussed to leak out further.

LJ was on the bench though...Benson has been on the field and hasn't looked like a top5 back. One thing I will say though is that the Bears got rid of another guy who was a late bloomer in the NFL > Thomas Jones. Jones was looked at as a bust his first few years in the league. I'm not so sure Benson is a late bloomer as much as he benefited from Vince Young opening up his running lanes and helping his draft stock soar. Right now he doesn't look like he has the speed and quickness to ever be a big time back in the NFL.

As with most Mack Brown coached players, Benson has been a disappointment in the NFL. Benson looked great as a freshman but looked awful his next two seasons. His senior season was very productive largely due to Vince, I agree.

This is the issue as I see it: Mack does an awful job of mentally and emotionally preparing his players for the NFL. I don't think they develop the work habits or the mental toughness to excel at the next level- because he coddles them and expects very little from them in regards to preparation and improvement.

As with most Mack Brown coached players, Benson has been a disappointment in the NFL. Benson looked great as a freshman but looked awful his next two seasons. His senior season was very productive largely due to Vince, I agree.

This is the issue as I see it: Mack does an awful job of mentally and emotionally preparing his players for the NFL. I don't think they develop the work habits or the mental toughness to excel at the next level- because he coddles them and expects very little from them in regards to preparation and improvement.

hahaha. why don't you go back to homering for Carr and being another mindless sheeple. you did a much better job of that than you do at criticizing UT's program and its NFL alumni. Your just another hater, so nothing new. btw that shining trophy in Austin is called the National Championship Trophy....they give that to the #1 team in the nation....sucks to be you.

oh and while you are at it, feel free to update your avatar. It's about as current as your takes are. sorry every player that UT churns out doesnt make the Pro Bowl. I am sure you would find something to nag and complain about even if that was the case.

Williams, Huff, Griffin, Young, S. Young, DJ, Rogers, Vasher, Leonard Davis, Cory Redding, Phil Dawson, Casey Hampton, Dockery, should I keep going? Why don't you go drink a glass of Moonshine at the Dixie Chicken (very progressive name) and do us all a favor.

Here are some real numbers to chew on:

278 - Texas has had 278 players drafted by the NFL.
68 - Texas has had a player selected in an NFL-record 68 consecutive drafts.
36 - Numbers of Longhorns chosen in the first round of the NFL Draft.
33 - Thirty-three different former Longhorns have been members of 22 different Super Bowl squads. Fourteen of those players have claimed Super Bowl Championship rings.
28 - The Longhorns have had 28 different Pro Bowlers representing 19 teams who have made a total of 68 appearances.
22 - There are currently 22 former Longhorns active in the NFL.
7 - Seven Longhorns have been taken in the NFL Draft's Top 10 overall picks in the last 11 years, tied for the most in the nation.
4 - Texas has had two players drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft in four of the last five years
3 - Texas has had three players selected with the first overall pick in the draft.

hahaha. why don't you go back to homering for Carr and being another mindless sheeple. you did a much better job of that than you do at criticizing UT's program and its NFL alumni. Your just another hater, so nothing new. btw that shining trophy in Austin is called the National Championship Trophy....they give that to the #1 team in the nation....sucks to be you.

oh and while you are at it, feel free to update your avatar. It's about as current as your takes are. sorry every player that UT churns out doesnt make the Pro Bowl. I am sure you would find something to nag and complain about even if that was the case.

Williams, Huff, Griffin, Young, S. Young, DJ, Rogers, Vasher, Leonard Davis, Cory Redding, Phil Dawson, Casey Hampton, Dockery, should I keep going? Why don't you go drink a glass of Antifreeze at the Dixie Chicken (very progressive name) and do us all a favor.

Here are some real numbersto chew on:

33 - Thirty-three different former Longhorns have been members of 22 different Super Bowl squads. Fourteen of those players have claimed Super Bowl Championship rings.
28 - The Longhorns have had 28 different Pro Bowlers representing 19 teams who have made a total of 68 appearances.
7 - Seven Longhorns have been taken in the NFL Draft's Top 10 overall picks in the last 11 years, tied for the most in the nation.
4 - Texas has had two players drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft in four of the last five years
3 - Texas has had three players selected with the first overall pick in the draft.

I was not even going to open this thread again, and then I saw Secondhoneymoon had posted, stopped and thought to myself, I wonder how he could make this about Carr? Then Bamm, there it was.

I find it amazing that you are able to twist everything into and anti-Carr post. We all realize you love UT, in fact, I have heard through the grape-vine that there are houses for sale in Austin right now. Really, Its true:http://www.homecity.com/?tag_id=6&O...tandard&OVADID=11656470022&OVKWID=12319623522

We should get a thread going and post a link every time Second hijacks a thread with a David Carr reference.

I was not even going to open this thread again, and then I saw Secondhoneymoon had posted, stopped and thought to myself, I wonder how he could make this about Carr? Then Bamm, there it was.

I find it amazing that you are able to twist everything into and anti-Carr post. We all realize you love UT, in fact, I have heard through the grape-vine that there are houses for sale in Austin right now. Really, Its true:http://www.homecity.com/?tag_id=6&O...tandard&OVADID=11656470022&OVKWID=12319623522

We should get a thread going and post a link every time Second hijacks a thread with a David Carr reference.

your the one making this about HWSNBN. if the only thing you read was the Carr blast, that is your own fault.

Williams, Huff, Griffin, Young, S. Young, DJ, Rogers, Vasher, Leonard Davis, Cory Redding, Phil Dawson, Casey Hampton, Dockery, should I keep going? Why don't you go drink a glass of Antifreeze at the Dixie Chicken (very progressive name) and do us all a favor.

Nice set of numbers but he did say Mack Brown coached guys disappoint in the NFL, not the entire history of UT. But I like playing along so I will ask how many of the guys listed have had HoF careers, how many hoave won SuperBowl MVP trophys?

Benson is a huge disapointment in the NFL as well as Huff, neither have lived up to their first round picks and you can actually put VY into the catagory as well. But thanks for jumping up on that high horse and wanting another poster to die very very classy of you. Geez man!!

To be fair, you may want to base your numbers on players that were actually coached by Mack Brown- so the 1999 NFL Draft and on???

EDIT: lol great minds think at the same time, specnatz

your the one making this about HWSNBN. if the only thing you read was the Carr blast, that is your own fault.

To be fair you told the guy to quit homering for Carr when he never mentioned the guys name. He made a joke about UT or more specifically Brown.

Just been noticing the posts I read your screaming about Carr like a Vietnam Vet having a flash back about "Charlie."

Not really commenting on this post alone, but your body of work as of late.

I do agree with you though, Carr does suck. There is a rumor going around though that once released from the Panthers, he will be going into talks with CBS to do commentating, and from what i hear they would like to put him in the booth to do Texans games.

Actually 8 in the top 7 since Mack took over:

Ricky Williams - 1999 - 5th overall
Leonard Davis - 2001 - 2nd overall
Mike Williams - 2002 - 4th overall
Quentin Jammer -2002 - 5th overall
Roy Williams - 2004 - 7th overall
Cedric Benson - 2005 - 4th overall
Vince Young - 2006 - 3rd overall
Michael Huff - 2006 - 7th overall

A pretty amazing amount of draft talent. But for the most part, they've underachieved at the NFL level. Is there some correlation between the school they played at, or is it mere coincidence? I think most were just overdrafted based upon measurables. Though I still believe Ricky for one had the talent, just too many demons.

Wow SH! You calling someone else a "hater!" Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! :potkettle: I just find it very, funny. lol:

A pretty amazing amount of draft talent. But for the most part, they've underachieved at the NFL level. Is there some correlation between the school they played at, or is it mere coincidence? I think most were just overdrafted based upon measurables. Though I still believe Ricky for one had the talent, just too many demons.

underachieve is just so speculative a term. mike williams has been a failure and Ricky obviously has been an embarassment to any pro-UT argument, but the rest of the guys are starters for their respective team. Couple those guys with the guys drafted after the #7 overall pick who are starters (DJ, Vasher, Rogers, Hampton, etc.) and you realize that there are a lot of guys in the NFL who are starting and are making plays. Maybe not enough to be in the Pro Bowl, but enough to not necessarily have them all labeled as 'underachievers'.

I do agree with you saying that measurables have had a lot to do with some of the early selections, but is that the fault of Mack? It's just indicative of the level of speed and size that Mack has been able to recruit and develop. Wait till next year's crop comes in.may be best yet.

Ricky Williams - 1999 - 5th overall - wasted NFL talent to retire and do yoga, HC who drafted him fired and is out of football
Leonard Davis - 2001 - 2nd overall - drafted to play OLT and flopped, allowed to leave original drafting team, HC who drafted him fired and is out of football
Mike Williams - 2002 - 4th overall - Considered one of the biggest flops in recent football memory - cut for nothing by drafting teams, GM and HC both fired.
Quentin Jammer -2002 - 5th overall - Should have been a probowl player this season. HC that drafted him has been fired.
Roy Williams - 2004 - 7th overall - Is currently on the trading blocks for a 2nd round pick, did make probowl in 2007, has had injury riddled career. HC that drafted him has been fired
Cedric Benson - 2005 - 4th overall - Has been a flop as a starter, so much so that teams 2nd biggest need is considered RB.
Vince Young - 2006 - 3rd overall - Probowl OC for Titans has called VY out for lack of work ethic, has already had one of the games best OC fired.
Michael Huff - 2006 - 7th overall - Is rumored to be on the trading black for a 3rd round pick.

Not what I would call a steller group of 1st rounders. Most are considered to be club house problems. I will give VY and Huff passes due to not enough time transpiring, they could still be worthwhile picks.

Ricky Williams - 1999 - 5th overall - wasted NFL talent to retire and do yoga, HC who drafted him fired and is out of football
Leonard Davis - 2001 - 2nd overall - drafted to play OLT and flopped, allowed to leave original drafting team, HC who drafted him fired and is out of football
Mike Williams - 2002 - 4th overall - Considered one of the biggest flops in recent football memory - cut for nothing by drafting teams, GM and HC both fired.
Quentin Jammer -2002 - 5th overall - Should have been a probowl player this season. HC that drafted him has been fired.
Roy Williams - 2004 - 7th overall - Is currently on the trading blocks for a 2nd round pick, did make probowl in 2007, has had injury riddled career. HC that drafted him has been fired
Cedric Benson - 2005 - 4th overall - Has been a flop as a starter, so much so that teams 2nd biggest need is considered RB.
Vince Young - 2006 - 3rd overall - Probowl OC for Titans has called VY out for lack of work ethic, has already had one of the games best OC fired.
Michael Huff - 2006 - 7th overall - Is rumored to be on the trading black for a 3rd round pick.

Not what I would call a steller group of 1st rounders. Most are considered to be club house problems. I will give VY and Huff passes due to not enough time transpiring, they could still be worthwhile picks.

You convieniently leave out that Leonard Davis made the Pro Bowl as a OG this year.

Roy Williams just might be the best player on his entire team.

And its Jammer's fault that his coach got fired???

I guess Andre Johnson should be considered a bust since he couldnt keep his first head coach around.

I thought this thread was about a Texans rumor?:thinking:

no, some yayhoo wanted to take some cheap shots at Mack Brown and at Longhorns in the NFL and he was called on it. lord knows things arent perfect in Austin but to make assertations that UT sucks for NFL talent is just laughable at best. Some people need to just learn how to read and make cogent arguments before they go spouting off at the mouth about things they no next to nothing about.

no, some yayhoo wanted to take some cheap shots at Mack Brown and at Longhorns in the NFL and he was called on it. lord knows things arent perfect in Austin but to make assertations that UT sucks for NFL talent is just laughable at best. Some people need to just learn how to read and make cogent arguments before they go spouting off at the mouth about things they no next to nothing about.

Ya know SH you could easily follow your own advice because if you look at your reply and rant after someone made a statement saying the players under Mack have not done so well in the NFL. It is an opinion and while you may disagree you could have easily made your case without saying a lot of the things you said and also bringing up players who are no longer on the Texans, but you did not do that.

I've lived in Austin since 1995. I didn't go to UT but I certainly spent years rooting for them- I still really like the basketball team. However, the years of these myopic and obnoxious fans make it almost impossible to root for the football team. I was excited when Mack Brown came to UT. It was certainly good for the program. However, by the time the Roy Williams, Corey Redding class became seniors I became disenchanted with Brown's coaching ability. There are many things Mack does well. However, most of his elite talent has underperformed, wilted in big games against elite competition, and not exhibited the work ethic or intensity needed to excel in the NFL. That doesn't mean that Mack Brown, as a whole, is a bad person to head the Texas program. I don't understand how anyone can look at the immense talent that's walked into and out of the UT doors and not see that they underperform at an alarming rate.

What is so amazing about Vince Young, is that he was able to grow and develop and lift the level of that team despite those conditions.

Of all the talent that has entered the NFL from UT, who has been better than expected?

LDavis
MWilliams
Jammer
Benson
RWilliams
Huff
CSimms
Roy Williams
Derrick Johnson
Corey Redding
Shaun Rogers

and many others...

I'd agree that Vince Young may one day become a very good NFL QB. Also, I think Casey Hampton has at least met expecations as a very good DT. Other than that, I struggle to come up with any.

Meanwhile, if you look at the other schools that bring in similar talent, you will find plenty of examples of players playing at an elite level.

Look up guys from USC, Miami, Ohio St.... that's the talent level Mack brings in.

You convieniently leave out that Leonard Davis made the Pro Bowl as a OG this year.

Roy Williams just might be the best player on his entire team.

And its Jammer's fault that his coach got fired???

I guess Andre Johnson should be considered a bust since he couldnt keep his first head coach around.

Thought I had put in Davis's probowl appearance, at a position he was not drafted to play, OGs are never taken #2 in the salary cap era. It got deleted in an edit I did to shorten my comments. I know his brother very well, and have had very good insight into Leonard.

Roy is a talent when he is playing, and he has had run ins with his now former OC, the pass happy Mike Martz, only WR I have heard of to be unhappy with Martz. And he is on the trading blocks now because?

Jammer's coach being let go was only mentioned because most of these player have been traded, let move on to a new team, been cut, or had the regime that drafted them fired.

Jammer so far is the only player in this group to seem to be above anyone questioning his commitment. And as I stated before I will give Huff a pass due to his length of time in the league.

Okay, maybe SecondHoneymoon is right about me, because I've totally fallen for this gag twice now!

Not only that, but I clicked the first thread three times, thinking something weird had happened and somehow if I was persistant enough with the link, I would eventually be able to read the story about us acquiring Chester Taylor!:gun:

Jammer's coach being let go was only mentioned because most of these player have been traded, let move on to a new team, been cut, or had the regime that drafted them fired. .

To be fair, when you consider that most if not all of the guys you pointed out were drafted high by bad teams. How many teams with top ten picks keep their coaches?

I think you're on to something. The big schools have a much larger exposure, specifically to the public but I suspect this is the case for NFL-teams and coaches too.

I've had this thought for awhile now actually, think it started when we drafted Mathis. Alot of people would comment on how the hell we thought we would be able to get talent from 'such a small school without a decent program'. Also when we had our asses chewed a season or two ago, the reaction by many were that how could we lose to 'some unknown QB from a no talent school'.

Fans buy into the hype, ESPN does (and creates its own hype at the same time). I find it hard to believe that no scouts or NFL coaches should be influenced by this hype too. After all, larger schools with money-making athlethics programs do spend on advertisement and PR. :)

I am quoting your post as it has become the point of reference the last two pages.

Mack Brown is what he is a great college coach. He rebuilt a program and has restored the luster that few schools could only dream of. For better or worse Texas has become a system Offense and most of the players in this discussion are Greg Davis recruited, coddled and/or "developed" guys into the system. Yep they were great talents in HS and have some name notoriety. Yep they came to a top flight school and played in big games and won many of them. But in my opinion our offense is the most exciting, inconsistent offense in the nation. I can't stand it watching Texas football players playing a style of play that looks totally foreign. In my opinion it simply has no flow and when you do not have a VY to run it, players lose faith real quick because it is a style that they believe, or the people back home believe, is a gimmick.

Yes HS football in Texas is changing and I believe change is good, but what needs to change is Greg Davis quickly, as the trending does not only raise an eye brow.

Unless I missed it, the only thing more alarming is everyone leaving off 1st rounder and Super Bowl Champ Aaron Ross. UT has become Secondary U.

I will say this about Benson watching him in HS. You knew he was a NFL player as eveytime he ran he would fall forward and pick up another two yards and he just ran with a purpose, but was never a burner (on the field). I am not surprised he has not panned out, nor was I surprised when he was drafted so high. He has a couple of 1,000 yard seasons in him left, in my opinion, which would round out an average career, which is exactly what I thought he would be.

I am quoting your post as it has become the point of reference the last two pages.

Mack Brown is what he is a great college coach. He rebuilt a program and has restored the luster that few schools could only dream of. For better or worse Texas has become a system Offense and most of the players in this discussion are Greg Davis recruited, coddled and/or "developed" guys into the system. Yep they were great talents in HS and have some name notoriety. Yep they came to a top flight school and played in big games and won many of them. But in my opinion our offense is the most exciting, inconsistent offense in the nation. I can't stand it watching Texas football players playing a style of play that looks totally foreign. In my opinion it simply has no flow and when you do not have a VY to run it, players lose faith real quick because it is a style that they believe, or the people back home believe, is a gimmick.

Yes HS football in Texas is changing and I believe change is good, but what needs to change is Greg Davis quickly, as the trending does not only raise an eye brow.

Unless I missed it, the only thing more alarming is everyone leaving off 1st rounder and Super Bowl Champ Aaron Ross. UT has become Secondary U.

I will say this about Benson watching him in HS. You knew he was a NFL player as eveytime he ran he would fall forward and pick up another two yards and he just ran with a purpose, but was never a burner (on the field). I am not surprised he has not panned out, nor was I surprised when he was drafted so high. He has a couple of 1,000 yard seasons in him left, in my opinion, which would round out an average career, which is exactly what I thought he would be.

Nice post.

I think that coaches all have different styles. Brown's style is one that recruits want to come to. He gets the best coming out of high school, and with that comes some ego from the kids He protects them in a bubble and defends them up until the point that something indefensible happens.

If you have had a coach that is like a father to you and cares for you and your family, and you go to school in a very friendly environment, where your job is almost handed to you as a recruiting promise, it is a dash of cold water to have to really work and compete for a job.

Coming from a protected environment with a niiiiiice coach, it sucks to go to a backside-chewing coach. Ricky Williams is the exaggerated version of that, but to a lesser degree I think it applies to some of the others. If everyone always treats you like the king and gives you special privileges, you might lose your desire to work hard.

Funny how Brown put more discipline on his players pre-bowl game last year and made them compete more.

Re: Texas players in the pros - Casey Hampton is the best player to come out of UT in the past 10 years, IMO. Of course, he's a nose tackle, so he's not going to get much recognition.

You just destroyed your entire argument by misspelling know.:photos: lol

Back