Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Are CJ Stroud doubters converted or are there still doubters left?

How do you feel about Stroud now?

• I was skeptical and am still skeptical

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I was skeptical and now believe we have our franchise QB

Votes: 24 34.3%
  • I was optimistic and now believe we have our franchise QB

Votes: 44 62.9%

• Total voters
I don't know that doubters/believers is how this works. Plenty of people are doubters until it's a given and believers fall off the wagon quickly enough when a QB's play starts to circle the drain. Right now we're enjoying one of the best, brightest beginnings I've seen in a Houston football players career I've ever seen. I'm not even exaggerating when I say that I haven't seen an Oiler/Texan hit the ground running this fast since maybe even Earl Campbell. Andre Johnson and JJ Watt didn't hit the ground running this fast. Think about that. Watson spent all that time kicking dirt on the bench behind Tom Savage. Whether it was a coach or just the learning curve this kind of thing just doesn't happen normally. Right now I'm a believer. Seeing is believing. I'm going to need to get to the end of the season before I am ready to decide just how great he is.

I was never really against CJ, but QB in general for this year.

Thank God I'm an idiot and the Texans don't listen to me.
You might have a country western song there? Somebody [John Denver] did it with Thank God I'm a Country Boy.

I’m going to go off script just a little because the original post touched on something I have been thinking about in regards to Stroud.

It’s not that I am a Stroud doubter or skeptic. I keep asking myself how long Houston sports fans get to have something this nice?

QBs listed above all took the league by storm in their rookie years and now people write them off. Did Mac Jones forget how to play quarterback or Herbert or Murray? Or is something else the problem?

Don’t get me wrong I love what is happening and I look forward to watching football on Sundays again. I’m just wondering how long it is going to last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I still think Belichick and Matt Jones not getting along had something to do with him and I do not see that happening with Slowick/Ryans in regards to CJ Stroud.

I voted for the previously skeptical but now sold option, however I’m only 99% sold. The 1% of doubt I have will be erased when I see him with an oline not playing well. I would like to at some point see how he plays in a 4-5 game stretch where the oline is struggling and also maybe with a new play caller just to ease that last little bit of doubt
Wait... what? You think the offensive line has played good for nine games?

Just thinking how generational qbs come out the draft every 5-6 years so Mahomes being drafted in 2017 and now it’s 2023 means…

doing-the-math-thinking.gif
Generational quarterbacks come out every 5 to 6 years. Excellent!

I am sure glad that things are going well. I am a bit concerned that people might be getting carried away with how well we are doing. I'm a little concerned that we might be flying too close to the sun and sitting ourselves up for a steep decline. I don't think it's real likely, but it is a concern. Maybe I have been a Houston sports fan for too long and just automatically expect to get kicked in the sack at some point.
Put your head out the airplane window and keep your hand on the parachute jump cord.

Just as many times as you blast DeShaun Watson, Mulugheta, Clemson players and Nigerians. LOL
How many threads have I made about these topics?

Having an opinion isn't blasting anything. Unless you consider calling Derrick a sexual predator blasting. If speaking the truth is blasting them I'm perfectly happy blasting away.

Once they hired DeMeco, I started drinking the Kool-Aid. :koolaid:

And 'In DeMeco We Trust' was my attitude when they drafted Stroud.

It's fun to be a fan again that can just enjoy the games instead of wallowing in misery with a small group of fellow diehard knuckleheads. :shades: :texflag:

We're usually on the same frequency, always good to read your posts! I was fighting hard for Stroud from about mid-point of the College Football season, but took heavy resistance, even after the draft into preseason. However, after those first couple of games, you could actually see the growth. Now maybe he wasn't polished coming out of Ohio State, in that program, but if you studied the mechanics, footwork, alignment, quick release, strong arm, ability to process and leadership it was all there. Plus I grew to love his demeanor and personality, all seemed legit to me. S2 testing is what hung people up. Might as well chalk that travesty up with the Wonderlick.

The other big thing you mentioned was hiring of DeMeco Ryans. Good ole' DeMeco, loved him as a player and person. So happy for him, actually one of the happiest days of my life when they announced his hiring. Man was he able to put together a staff. Obviously, Slowick is star of the show. Even if we only get one year out of him, his ability to coach up CJ and approach the game management is stuff of a guru. He has the upside to someday, not only be a head coach (soon) but down the line elite GM and evaluator of talent. Just chew on that a minute and get back to me. Anyway all is well that ends well its been a tortuous process to get here but now WE ARE HERE, lets enjoy.

:wesmantexanfan:

How many threads have I made about these topics?

Having an opinion isn't blasting anything. Unless you consider calling Derrick a sexual predator blasting. If speaking the truth is blasting them I'm perfectly happy blasting away.
how about posts? Do your thing, I can not read if I choose.

well.. yeah.. if that is all there is to being an offensive line..
Jesse James was alleged to be polite when he robbed trains so..
If the other part you’re referring to is the run game then that’s not relevant. I would just like to see how Stroud plays when he’s under pressure a little more consistently

If the other part you’re referring to is the run game then that’s not relevant. I would just like to see how Stroud plays when he’s under pressure a little more consistently
The run blocking game isn't relevant?

Wut?

I think a more interesting question is about the S2 scoring. Is it dead yet? Given what’s happened with Stroud, (which I think was aimed at getting him to drop down in the draft) I wouldn’t draft any player who’d be dumb enough to even take it.

I think a more interesting question is about the S2 scoring. Is it dead yet? Given what’s happened with Stroud, (which I think was aimed at getting him to drop down in the draft) I wouldn’t draft any player who’d be dumb enough to even take it.
Yep. I don't think anyone can take the S2 with any seriousness after the pre-draft hype and ultimate proof of its pointless existence after CJs season.

If I were an owner, the S2 would be a trick question for any potential GM hire.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I think a more interesting question is about the S2 scoring. Is it dead yet?
I don't think anyone can take the S2 with any seriousness after the pre-draft hype and ultimate proof of its pointless existence after CJs season.
S2? Dead. But not to worry. A new and improved S4 is coming out. Twice as good as the S2, as the S3 just wasn't considered good enough. Plus, no one likes odd numbers.

Sure, the S4 will cost more than the S2 (duh). But the S4 will have a 300 lb lineman next to the testee ready to knock him off his chair if a mistake is made. Now, that's testing for pressure.

Yep. I don't think anyone can take the S2 with any seriousness after the pre-draft hype and ultimate proof of its pointless existence after CJs season.

If I were an owner, the S2 would be a trick question for any potential GM hire.

The mistake was correlating S2 with QB success.

It is a tool that measures a specific quality. I still think it accurately reflected Cj as he was coming out of college. But just like the word was that Will Fuller was a body catcher & Will Fuller put a lot of time & energy to work on his hands... things change.

Cj handles pressure much better now than he did just 16 weeks ago. Kudos to Cj, Slowick, & Jerrod Johnson.

S2? Dead. But not to worry. A new and improved S4 is coming out. Twice as good as the S2, as the S3 just wasn't considered good enough. Plus, no one likes odd numbers.

Sure, the S4 will cost more than the S2 (duh). But the S4 will have a 300 lb lineman next to the testee ready to knock him off his chair if a mistake is made. Now, that's testing for pressure.
I believe it will be call the S7 test dedicated to CJ Stroud.

It is a tool that measures a specific quality. I still think it accurately reflected Cj as he was coming out of college. But just like the word was that Will Fuller was a body catcher & Will Fuller put a lot of time & energy to work on his hands... things change.

Cj handles pressure much better now than he did just 16 weeks ago. Kudos to Cj, Slowick, & Jerrod Johnson.
Every rookie quarterback struggles with pressure in the NFL. And again that was a very small sample size concerning CJ mainly because his line was one of the best in freaking college.

Time to go against the grain. Still a little skeptical. Or maybe more accurate I don’t want to get my hopes up 9 games into his career. The ball placement and anticipation have been impressive, but 2 of the 3 picks were kind of ugly. CJ got baited, badly, into the first one and the third one…not sure if he was trying too hard or the throw was a touch soft.

Either way I’m going to enjoy this season and hope he takes the jump forward this off-season.

On the positive side though, he was again moving the ball down field all game long. The picks were obviously big time mistakes, but for each one of them he had us in scoring position.

The key for him will be to learn to not force it and take the FG when you have to, but that is a much easier thing to learn compared to those QBs still learning to move the ball in the first place.

Time to go against the grain. Still a little skeptical. Or maybe more accurate I don’t want to get my hopes up 9 games into his career. The ball placement and anticipation have been impressive, but 2 of the 3 picks were kind of ugly. CJ got baited, badly, into the first one and the third one…not sure if he was trying too hard or the throw was a touch soft.

Either way I’m going to enjoy this season and hope he takes the jump forward this off-season.
I’m not worried. I’m sure CJ is nowhere near his ceiling yet. What’s the worst case scenario? CJ regresses down to a very good game manager? That can still win us a Super Bowl as long as the running game and defense are top notch.

Does anybody actually really know what the S2 score was? How do we know it was low, how do we know it wasn't impossibly high instead and all this is just BS?

More importantly, why should we care anymore at this point?
Some posters just like saying I told you so.

I agree about it being a tool, but the perception of its effectiveness as an analytical tool has been diminished greatly.

It was being advertised as a be all/end all by some folks, but that was based on hype more than actual results.

Reality has a way of slapping bullshit over time.

Does anybody actually really know what the S2 score was? How do we know it was low, how do we know it wasn't impossibly high instead and all this is just BS?

More importantly, why should we care anymore at this point?
I thought I saw a post somewhere that his S2 was in the mid-teens.

Concerning the three ints, I think Stroud listened to his coaches about not being concerned about his completion percentage. Now he can go back to being CJ Stroud.

I thought I saw a post somewhere that his S2 was in the mid-teens.
This summarizes what I found on S2 scoring. I used an AI to find this so make of it what you will.

The scores, which aren’t hard numbers, but rather percentile marks, reportedly place Ohio State quarterback C.J. Stroud dead last in the 2023 QB class, scoring in the 18th percentile.

This summarizes what I found on S2 scoring. I used an AI to find this so make of it what you will.

The scores, which aren’t hard numbers, but rather percentile marks, reportedly place Ohio State quarterback C.J. Stroud dead last in the 2023 QB class, scoring in the 18th percentile.

Well, I guess that settles it then, right? :dontknowa

It’s gonna be fun watching CJ rub y’alls noses in it.

lol, folks commenting on a test they never took and no doubt don’t understand about someone’s ability to play a sport they never played at that level. ahhh ain’t that Amerika.

The S2 is just another way to try and fit everything in a convenient box. Some things just can't be figured out with a mathematical formula & playing QB in one of the roughest sports on the planet is definitely one of them.

Reactions: JB
Back