Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Are CJ Stroud doubters converted or are there still doubters left?

How do you feel about Stroud now?

• I was skeptical and am still skeptical

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I was skeptical and now believe we have our franchise QB

Votes: 24 34.3%
  • I was optimistic and now believe we have our franchise QB

Votes: 44 62.9%

• Total voters
No idea. But based on my unscientific observations, it will definitely be slower because they are looking at the screen then glancing at the controller to react. If I had to speculate, based on the button you have to push to answer the question, it could easily be 1 to 2 seconds slower than someone familiar with the button layout or even the size of the controller.
Every time I switch from Xbox to switch controllers I have to look and yeah there's about 200 millisecond delay you can't get around. Depending on how they score, this delay could affect scores significantly.
I'm really high watching the game, so sorry if this isn't explained correctly.
Tldr Earl is right.

I feel terrible for saying this, but our only chance to keep Slowik is if he's a terrible at head coaching interviews (ie. Eric Bieniemy.) Or perhaps the teams looking at him have a miserable QB situation. In terms of Jerrod, I really don't know anything other than his name, but perhaps he's the guy who inherits the Shanahan > Slowik scheme.

I voted that “I was optimistic because I knew that we had our franchise QB” because I’m always right due to me knowing everything. I especially know more than everyone in here because I’m super-super smart! I also have a 12” penis and only have sex with super models, and I have a lot of money. I also know more about football than everyone in here…COMBINED because I’m just so freakin smart, and good looking.

Just kidding.

I wasn’t expecting much when we drafted him but boy am I happy now!

Hilarious turn this board has taken. This time last year there were great concerns that a rookie OC could manage a rookie QB guided by a rookie HC from the other side of the ball
When it's time for Stroud's 5th year option. I want to see if the notion that you trade your young QB and start with another QB on a rookie contract is still a thing on this board.

When it's time for Stroud's 5th year option. I want to see if the notion that you trade your young QB and start with another QB on a rookie contract is still a thing on this board.
Every 7 yrs you sould trade your QB and if you're smart like the Packers you draft your QB of the future a couple of yrs before your ready to move on from your starting QB.

Every 7 yrs you sould trade your QB and if you're smart like the Packers you draft your QB of the future a couple of yrs before your ready to move on from your starting QB.

The Packers had two QBs for 31 seasons. But yes, they always did draft QBs even if they never played them.

When QB's get too expensive the odds of winning a championship go way down.

You know, I wonder how much of that stat/odds are based on the Pats/Brady being dominant for two decades? In other words, Brady always adjusted his salary and they were just so good as a team, that it skews the data because no one else was consistently winning. I imagine that we will start seeing a change in the Brady-less NFL where everyone wants to get paid.

You know, I wonder how much of that stat/odds are based on the Pats/Brady being dominant for two decades? In other words, Brady always adjusted his salary and they were just so good as a team, that it skews the data because no one else was consistently winning. I imagine that we will start seeing a change in the Brady-less NFL where everyone wants to get paid.
We will see

I now believe we have our franchise QB..... but I still want to see him do it again... and again... and again...

Hey, Everyone who ever had their franchise QB did so until they woke up one day and didn't. A lot of them didn't see it coming either. I'd like another season to evaluate (optimistically now after seeing him do it in 2023) before I take it for granted that he's going to be our legendary football savior.

We already are. But so much of the cap is manipulated by pushing money into future years. Aaron Rodgers contract calls for a $63 million cap hit in 2026. And it's a voidable year where he's not even on the team. It's a different cap landscape that can't be related to what happened even 10 years ago.

The Packers drafted Rodgers when Favre was 34 years old. They drafted Love when Rodgers was 38 years old. Even the Chiefs drafted Mahomes when Alex Smith was 33 years old.

Stroud is only 22 years old. So, if he is what we expect him to be. You would trade him at 29 years old? This sure sounds like an unforced, headfirst dive into QB purgatory.

The Packers drafted Rodgers when Favre was 34 years old. They drafted Love when Rodgers was 38 years old. Even the Chiefs drafted Mahomes when Alex Smith was 33 years old.

Stroud is only 22 years old. So, if he is what we expect him to be. You would trade him at 29 years old? This sure sounds like an unforced, headfirst dive into QB purgatory.
Yes I would, depending on how much cap space he's taking up. Because the window will have closed and I would have drafted his replacement after yr 5, so I would already have his replacement lined up. This isn't about Stroud this is about the QB position and cap space in general. You do exactly what Caserio did with Derrick, trade your QB for a kings ransom and use those picks who are relatively cheap labor to keep your team a contender. You would think after the results of the Derrick trade more people would be on board with what I'm talking about. This goes the same with business, if employees stay for more than 10 yrs they generally are expensive and complacency sets in. This has been my general experience.

Yes I would, depending on how much cap space he's taking up. Because the window will have closed and I would have drafted his replacement after yr 5, so I would already have his replacement lined up. This isn't about Stroud this is about the QB position and cap space in general. You do exactly what Caserio did with Derrick, trade your QB for a kings ransom and use those picks who are relatively cheap labor to keep your team a contender. You would think after the results of the Derrick trade more people would be on board with what I'm talking about. This goes the same with business, if employees stay for more than 10 yrs they generally are expensive and complacency sets in. This has been my general experience.
Drafting a QB every 3-4 years is a good thing. It is a far cry from changing your QB every 7 years

Drafting a QB every 3-4 years is a good thing. It is a far cry from changing your QB every 7 years
Yep.
Doesn't have to be your first or second or third pick.
If you luck into a starter, he can be your backup until someone offers a nice haul of draft picks or you hold on to him to replace an aging encumbent. Or trade the incumbent and possibly save some cap.

^This only works if getting a top tier QB is certain. It's not like teams pull up there draft boards and go "Hmm, looks like it's time to get another one of those franchise QBs". QB is the least predictable of all the positions, and in order to get one you generally have to invest a top round pick (or get struck by lightning), start the QB, and give him 3-5 years to see if it's all coming together for him OR you have to start the process all over again. The fact that CJ showed up in year one is the outlier, and gives us the largest "rookie contract" period. But that's not a process you can bank on.

Look at the 6 QBs that were taken at the top of the draft. History tells us that 2 of the 6 will sign an extension with their same team, and if one of them is an all-pro it will be a lucky year.

Last edited:
Just my philosophy.

The cap rules the NFL and when your QB eats up too much of the cap you aren't going to win a championship. That's why I was so happy the Texans were able to move on from Derrick. That was before the perv stuff.

^This only works if getting a top tier QB is certain. It's not like teams pull up there draft boards and go "Hmm, looks like it's time to get another one of those franchise QBs". QB is the least predictable of all the positions, and in order to get one you generally have to invest a top round pick (or get struck by lightning), start the QB, and give him 3-5 years to see if it's all coming together for him OR you have to start the process all over again. The fact that CJ showed up in year one is the outlier, and gives us the largest "rookie contract" period. But that's not a process you can bank on.

Look at the 6 QBs that were taken at the top of the draft. History tells us that 2 of the 6 will sign an extension with their same team, and if one of them is an all-pro it will be a lucky year.
What you can bank on is not winning a championship when a QB starts to eat up too much cap space. There's a 7 yr window to win a championship before the QB gets expensive. This 7 yr window could be shorter if the QB/Agent want all of the cash up front. Difference between me and most here is I was happy the team team was forced to moved on from Derrick. When Stroud gets to expensive to win a championship I'll want to move on from him too.

Lol brother that’s why we’re only couch GM’s and owners. By his logic Andy should be getting ready to trade Mahomas. Who imo still hasn’t reached his highest potential. He’s one of the best in the business but he’s still has room to grow. Scary huh

Lol brother that’s why we’re only couch GM’s and owners. By his logic Andy should be getting ready to trade Mahomas. Who imo still hasn’t reached his highest potential. He’s one of the best in the business but he’s still has room to grow. Scary huh
When his contract starts to take up too much of the cap then it's time to move on. The only reason the Chiefs have been able to remain competitive is that Mahomes and his agent gave the Chiefs a very team friendly deal. Mahomes and Brady are outliers that put winning above money.

When his contract starts to take up too much of the cap then it's time to move on. The only reason the Chiefs have been able to remain competitive is that Mahomes and his agent gave the Chiefs a very team friendly deal. Mahomes and Brady are outliers that put winning above

Mahomas has a net worth of $70 million, according to Celebrity Net Worth. He earned $29.45 millionfor the 2022 NFL season, according to Spotrac.

September 2023, the Kansas City Chiefs and Mahomes, agreed to a restructured contract after other high profile quarterbacks signed deals for higher annual value. The new deal was worth $210.6 million and it was for 2023-2026. This meant that the annual average value for Mahomes' contract was $52.65

Nothing team friendly about Mahomas’s contracts. But hey keep believing that.

This is a new era/ mentality. These quarterbacks are going to get paid whether they win a chip or not. And if one is a franchise quarterback, the team will hold onto to them for more than 7 years

Last edited:
September 2023, the Kansas City Chiefs and Mahomes, agreed to a restructured contract after other high profile quarterbacks signed deals for higher annual value. The new deal was worth $210.6 million and it was for 2023-2026. This meant that the annual average value for Mahomes' contract was $52.65

Nothing team friendly about Mahomas’s contracts. But hey keep believing that.
What did he make in the 1st 3 years of that contract?

You do know sometimes within the next calendar year Mahomes is going to get another deal? At least that's what Kirwin thinks.

Now you’re asking rhetorical questions
I'm asking if his contract was structured so he wasn't eating up a bunch of the cap for the first 3-4 years of his new contract? If so, that would make a 7-8 yr window and that's with the best QB of his generation.

That's the hardest I've laughed on here in a long time. The Packers were drafting the replacement of franchise QBs who were thinking about retirement. They got extremely lucky that Rodgers' slid in the draft. Jordan Love had a very good season last year. Maybe they caught lightning in a bottle again.

I'm asking if his contract was structured so he wasn't eating up a bunch of the cap for the first 3-4 years of his new contract? If so, that would make a 7-8 yr window and that's with the best QB of his generation.

I get the point you are trying to make with % of salary cap eaten up by a QB means the team has less talent around him. But in my opinion, that is using data to back into a position. In other words, correlation does not equal causation. This was the same argument with Bryce Young. No QB his size has ever won the Super Bowl so therefore guys his size cannot win the Super Bowl.

In reality, no one is making a moneyball level trade of a Mahomes level QB after 7 years exclusively because they exceed a % of the salary cap.

I get the point you are trying to make with % of salary cap eaten up by a QB means the team has less talent around him. But in my opinion, that is using data to back into a position. In other words, correlation does not equal causation. This was the same argument with Bryce Young. No QB his size has ever won the Super Bowl so therefore guys his size cannot win the Super Bowl.

In reality, no one is making a moneyball level trade of a Mahomes level QB after 7 years exclusively because they exceed a % of the salary cap.
You can, however, get a pretty good handle on the likelihood of something happening. Fran Tarkington (6') went to 4 SBs, Russell Wilson (5'11") has been to 2, and Drew Brees (6') 1. Those are the shortest QBs to go to SBs that I can think of. None were as slightly built as Young is.
Aarron Rodgers was trying to get his contract tied to a % of the salary cap in Green Bay. That makes sense, for the player, since the cap is always rising.

I love Stroud, but is he getting a tad overconfident?
I hope he is humble enough to realize everyone is gunning for him now so he better be on his toes...

Back