Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Are CJ Stroud doubters converted or are there still doubters left?

How do you feel about Stroud now?

• I was skeptical and am still skeptical

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I was skeptical and now believe we have our franchise QB

Votes: 24 34.3%
  • I was optimistic and now believe we have our franchise QB

Votes: 44 62.9%

• Total voters
The S2 is just another way to try and fit everything in a convenient box. Some things just can't be figured out with a mathematical formula & playing QB in one of the roughest sports on the planet is definitely one of them.

That goes for any sport. We describe a great player as having “it”. Can’t measure “it” with a joystick. There are instincts or a clutch factor that you can’t measure.

People have put out there that someone leaked the S2 score to get Stroud to fall.

What if Stroud bombed the S2 scores to fall? Maybe he didn’t want to go to Carolina and preferred the Texans/Colts more?

I agree about it being a tool, but the perception of its effectiveness as an analytical tool has been diminished greatly.

It was being advertised as a be all/end all by some folks, but that was based on hype more than actual results.

Reality has a way of slapping bullshit over time.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Couldn’t agree more. Hell, I thought Stroud was a slowpoke the way they advertised the S2 test. Their stock surely took a nosedive and may be out of business soon. Stroud is the MF man!

Another one of we were right threads.

Truth is Stroud beat the odds and for that I'm greatful. But I wouldn't bet on a guy beating the odds.

Well, I guess that settles it then, right? :dontknowa

It’s gonna be fun watching CJ rub y’alls noses in it.
I've certainly been aware of this S2 thing, but didn't delve deeply into it. I just seem to recall that the Stroud score was not, let's say, "official" ; and I seem to recall the owners of the test saying something to the effect that this report was not to be taken seriously.

IMO, this whole thing is just overblown media hype and certain people just won't put it all behind us. It's rather irritating but easy to ignor.

Another one of we were right threads.

Truth is Stroud beat the odds and for that I'm greatful. But I wouldn't bet on a guy beating the odds.
Odds of what?

On the one side, there's a QB from a major school that put up monster numbers for 2 seasons and excelled at the combine and his pro day.

On the other side, there's a QB that scored poorly on a video test that no one knew about this time last year and still don't understand how it works or how it correlates to football.

Stuff you can see and understand vs stuff you've never seen and don't have a clue about. What is the likelihood of these two things accurately predicting a QB's NFL success?

Of course, you take the stuff you know nothing about.

Odds of what?

On the one side, there's a QB from a major school that put up monster numbers for 2 seasons and excelled at the combine and his pro day.

On the other side, there's a QB that scored poorly on a video test that no one knew about this time last year and still don't understand how it works or how it correlates to football.

Stuff you can see and understand vs stuff you've never seen and don't have a clue about. What is the likelihood of these two things accurately predicting a QB's NFL success?

To your point. In my younger days, I was an avid gamer who have played on almost every generation of video game consoles. From Atari 2600 to Mattel Intellivision to NES to Sega Genesis to PlayStation to Xbox. To be honest, I still play football on an Xbox Series X and even on a Meta Quest. I find the Xbox controllers and their letter-based buttons more user friendly than the PlayStation. You can ask anyone and you would probably get a 50/50 split on their preference of controllers and consoles.

I have many athletically gifted and/or highly intelligent friends and relatives who can pick up a video game and play for hours. Others have no interest in spending hours holding a joystick and playing Madden. Many never spent enough time with an Xbox or PlayStation to get acquainted with the joysticks/controllers.

I don't know if anyone asked Stroud if he's an avid Madden player or what's his preferred gaming console. Supposedly, the S2 score is based on a specialized laptop or Xbox. Could the low score simply be that Stroud is not a gamer or he prefers the PlayStation controller over the Xbox? IMHO, using a video game controller or joystick to test reaction time and spatial awareness might be similar to giving a typing test and one person types 40-50 words per minute and another types 20-30 WPM.

The Xbox controller is the one on the right. Isn't it funny that all the hoopla over Stroud's S2 could simply be the S2 controller buttons being letters instead of shapes or the guy spent his time watching YouTube videos of Moon, Brees, Brady and Manning instead of playing video games?

1700683612662.png

Last edited:
He did briefly delve into politics and I'm unable to respond because I would be deleted. This happened about a week ago. I responded to a political comment. I was deleted. The post I responded to was not deleted.
I one time made a reference to something right wing political in nature and a mod went off on me. It wasn't even controversial in nature. So with that said Marcus or anybody else posting political stuff should get a warning and have their post be deleted. It should not matter if the post is liked by the mod or not. Fair is fair and ALL politics should be disallowed. Even post that reference anything political in nature should be deleted. However if it is only referencing something political without purposely being put out for a political discussion it shouldn't get a mod angry like my old post did. Some people are way too sensitive!

To your point. In my younger days, I was an avid gamer who have played on almost every generation of video game consoles. From Atari 2600 to Mattel Intellivision to NES to Sega Genesis to PlayStation to Xbox. To be honest, I still play football on an Xbox Series X and even on a Meta Quest. I find the Xbox controllers and their letter-based buttons more user friendly than the PlayStation. You can ask anyone and you would probably get a 50/50 split on their preference of controllers and consoles.

I have many athletically gifted and/or highly intelligent friends and relatives who can pick up a video game and play for hours. Others have no interest in spending hours holding a joystick and playing Madden. Many never spent enough time with an Xbox or PlayStation to get acquainted with the joysticks/controllers.

I don't know if anyone asked Stroud if he's an avid Madden player or what's his preferred gaming console. Supposedly, the S2 score is based on a specialized laptop or Xbox. Could the low score simply be that Stroud is not a gamer or he prefers the PlayStation controller over the Xbox? IMHO, using a video game controller or joystick to reaction time and spatial awareness might be similar to giving a typing test and one person types 40-50 words per minute and another types 20-30 WPM.

The Xbox controller is the one on the right. Isn't it funny that all the hoopla over Stroud's S2 could simply be the S2 controller buttons being letters instead of shapes or the guy spent his time watching YouTube videos of Moon, Brees, Brady and Manning instead of playing video games?

View attachment 13096
Xbox for the win

Odds of what?

People also forget Bryce dad is a psychologists

Speculation here. CJ didn’t spend a lot of time playing video games, regardless of the controller. He studied other great QB’s to learn from them and it is paying off.

Maybe he found video games boring instead of a great time waster/escape/entertainment.
I see people comparing Cj to Burrows & I'm just not seeing it. He's more of a Classic drop back passer than anyone I've seen in a long time.

I see people comparing Cj to Burrows & I'm just not seeing it. He's more of a Classic drop back passer than anyone I've seen in a long time.

What 'type' of QB do you consider Burrow?

He has the athleticism to buy time in and around the pocket, can run for the odd nice gain, but prefers to operate from the pocket, will push the ball all over the field, doesn't get rattled easily..

I feel like I just described both QBs. For Burrow's career he's averaged one rushing attempt per game more than Stroud thus far for nearly the same average gain.

I can't honestly think of a better overall comp.

What is the reaction time expected if your not familiar with either?
No idea. But based on my unscientific observations, it will definitely be slower because they are looking at the screen then glancing at the controller to react. If I had to speculate, based on the button you have to push to answer the question, it could easily be 1 to 2 seconds slower than someone familiar with the button layout or even the size of the controller.

Last edited:
I think the S2 thing was intentionally leaked (possibly even made up) by someone who wanted CJ to drop!! Now where this gets interesting is, I think the Texans did it. Both CJ and Brice were graded about even before the draft. I think the Texans had decided that CJ was the one! But how to assure that he was there at 2???? Make it seem like Brice was the best pick because he had a good score and CJ didn't. I think they wanted Carolina to take Brice at one so they could get CJ at two. That also allows them then to make the move to 3 to get Anderson. Very well played by Casario and Ryans!

Phillip Rivers is one of my favorite QBs of all time, so it's no insult to say this, but Burrows reminds me more of Phillip Rivers & Stroud reminds me more of Peyton Manning.

It's not about their athleticism, but more about how they approach the game.

Well you mentioned the drop back passer label and so that's why I assumed you were considering more a style of play thing than an approach to play thing. And fair enough there.

Are you maybe trying to describe their demeanor? I'm just taking a stab here, if I'm wrong no harm, no foul I hope.

Whatever the connection is that I'm missing I'm more than happy to hear.

I think the S2 thing was intentionally leaked (possibly even made up) by someone who wanted CJ to drop!! Now where this gets interesting is, I think the Texans did it. Both CJ and Brice were graded about even before the draft. I think the Texans had decided that CJ was the one! But how to assure that he was there at 2???? Make it seem like Brice was the best pick because he had a good score and CJ didn't. I think they wanted Carolina to take Brice at one so they could get CJ at two. That also allows them then to make the move to 3 to get Anderson. Very well played by Casario and Ryans!
Ok so they knew before they “leaked” the S2 score that Carolina would fall for the ruse and at the same time they themselves didn’t believe in the test. So why were they saying before the draft they liked both players? Or…they were also willing to settle for Young and Anderson. They had the draft capital to trade into #1 for Stroud but the key was also to draft Anderson.

Last edited:
there will always be doubters of CJ…..they just haven’t been vocal lately
Even though you’re more than likely poking at posters that didn’t want CJ at #2 overall, I’m sure that if he starts throwing multiple pick sixes in games (on a regular basis) then you bet your ass there will be vocal doubters. Doesn’t matter how high of a draft pick he was. Do I think he’ll regress like that? No, but it certainly can happen.

Are you maybe trying to describe their demeanor? I'm just taking a stab here, if I'm wrong no harm, no foul I hope.

Whatever the connection is that I'm missing I'm more than happy to hear.
Phillip Rivers imo was more about the physical talent, Manning more mental. Rivers is going to beat you with brute force, Manning is going to figure out your scheme & crack the code.

Even though you’re more than likely poking at posters that didn’t want CJ at #2 overall, I’m sure that if he starts throwing multiple pick sixes in games (on a regular basis) then you bet your ass there will be vocal doubters. Doesn’t matter how high of a draft pick he was. Do I think he’ll regress like that? No, but it certainly can happen.
He's a rookie and will undoubtedly have a bad game or two but even good vets have bad games - even Mahomes has more picks than Stroud this season.

Ok so they knew before they “leaked” the S2 score that Carolina would fall for the ruse and at the same time they themselves didn’t believe in the test. So why were they saying before the draft they liked both players? Or…they were also willing to settle for Young and Anderson. They had the draft capital to trade into #1 for Stroud but the key was also to draft Anderson.

They could only trade to the first IF Carolina wanted to and then they would be out of capital to be able to get Anderson. The key was to get Carolina go first and take Brice. I'm not sure what they would have done if Carolina didn't take Brice. Probably do the same as they did, except with Brice. Might have worked out, but not nearly as well as it has so far.

And no, they didn't know that Carolina would fall for it, just hoped they would.
If it were me I'd have been talking up Bryce Young & leaking how we're preparing for Young starting day one.

Especially with Cap being Albama alum... I'd have talked that up hard.

If I were trying to influence Carolina's pick.

If it were me I'd have been talking up Bryce Young & leaking how we're preparing for Young starting day one.

Especially with Cap being Albama alum... I'd have talked that up hard.

If I were trying to influence Carolina's pick.
If they had talked it up hard everyone would have figured it was a ruse. So they let others talk it up for them while they played it close to the vest.

If they had talked it up hard everyone would have figured it was a ruse. So they let others talk it up for them while they played it close to the vest.
Right, I didn't mean the Texans themselves, but those would have been the leeks we would have heard, that & a distaste for Ohio State QBs.

I took that literally..

Fu5qlRVXoAIN88Y

We're usually on the same frequency, always good to read your posts! I was fighting hard for Stroud from about mid-point of the College Football season, but took heavy resistance, even after the draft into preseason. However, after those first couple of games, you could actually see the growth. Now maybe he wasn't polished coming out of Ohio State, in that program, but if you studied the mechanics, footwork, alignment, quick release, strong arm, ability to process and leadership it was all there. Plus I grew to love his demeanor and personality, all seemed legit to me. S2 testing is what hung people up. Might as well chalk that travesty up with the Wonderlick.

The other big thing you mentioned was hiring of DeMeco Ryans. Good ole' DeMeco, loved him as a player and person. So happy for him, actually one of the happiest days of my life when they announced his hiring. Man was he able to put together a staff. Obviously, Slowick is star of the show. Even if we only get one year out of him, his ability to coach up CJ and approach the game management is stuff of a guru. He has the upside to someday, not only be a head coach (soon) but down the line elite GM and evaluator of talent. Just chew on that a minute and get back to me. Anyway all is well that ends well its been a tortuous process to get here but now WE ARE HERE, lets enjoy.

:wesmantexanfan:
I don’t think you can overstate the growth of SLO, as a play caller, and CJ as a QB. They’re learning their crafts together and mostly excelling.
I think the Texans get 2 years with SLO. I hope his successor is already in the Texans pipeline.

They could only trade to the first IF Carolina wanted to and then they would be out of capital to be able to get Anderson. The key was to get Carolina go first and take Brice. I'm not sure what they would have done if Carolina didn't take Brice. Probably do the same as they did, except with Brice. Might have worked out, but not nearly as well as it has so far.
They could have outbid Carolina with Chicago. Wasn’t like there was a lot of competition.

I don’t think you can overstate the growth of SLO, as a play caller, and CJ as a QB. They’re learning their crafts together and mostly excelling.
I think the Texans get 2 years with SLO. I hope his successor is already in the Texans pipeline.
Good plan but I would like to see him remain as a Texan in higher office.

Back