Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Duane Brown: First Round pick of the Texans

YTF, it's time to realize that "draft value" is a pretty meaningless metric. Brown is a good player, and that's all that matters now. the focus of a draft for any team is to get players who will play well for you, not to achieve some sort of perfect idealized image of "value" from those picks.

Duane Brown was Alex Gibbs gift to the Texans much like JJ Watt is via Wade Phillips. Both are old school football players, without flash & hype they give Texans production week in & week out. :clap:

Duane Brown was Alex Gibbs gift to the Texans much like JJ Watt is via Wade Phillips. Both are old school football players, without flash & hype they give Texans production week in & week out. :clap:

I think there was 7 OTs taken in the first round in 2008 . Brown is easily the best value .

Long Mia
Alberts KC
Williams CHI
Big Dude from Pitt
Gosder Dertoit
Baker Atl
Brown Hou

Duane Brown was Alex Gibbs gift to the Texans...
Either that or he was the very last available OT with a 1st or 2nd round grade.

I remember lusting after Clady ... then Albert ... then Williams ... then just praying we got any one of the OTs. Draftniks thought Duane had a low ceiling -- Gibbs said "Don't worry, he'll be fine."

1 1 Miami Dolphins Jake Long OT Michigan Big Ten

1 12 Denver Broncos Ryan Clady OT Boise State WAC

1 14 Chicago Bears Chris Williams OT Vanderbilt SEC

1 15 Kansas City Chiefs Branden Albert OT Virginia ACC from Detroit

1 17 Detroit Lions Gosder Cherilus OT Boston College ACC from Minnesota via Kansas City

1 19 Carolina Panthers Jeff Otah OT Pittsburgh Big East from Philadelphia

1 21 Atlanta Falcons Sam Baker OT USC Pac-10 from Washington

1 26 Houston Texans Duane Brown OT Virginia Tech ACC from Jacksonville via Baltimore

I've been wrong about plenty. He's not a "good" LT. He's good enough. He's someone the Texans should have no hesitation to draft over if a LT is available.

He's been a very good LT. It's alright to admit that you were wrong on that now in hind sight. I was wrong myself. I hated the pick. I'm glad that I was wrong though. We ended up getting a pretty good LT. Brown didn't need to become an elite LT that makes Pro Bowls every season for this pick to have turned out to be a really good one. Brown has been a pleasant surprise.

I used to argue long and hard with YTF about Duane Brown.
I used to argue long and hard with CB (and a few others) about Chris Myers.

I'm still arguing long and hard with ... about ...

Can't wait for 2013! :evil:

I used to argue long and hard with YTF about Duane Brown.
I used to argue long and hard with CB (and a few others) about Chris Myers.

I'm still arguing long and hard with ... about ...

Can't wait for 2013! :evil:

you ever do anything long & hard concerning Okoye?
:kitten:

you ever do anything long & hard concerning Okoye?
:kitten:

Nothing of the sort!

Never sing him, never hate him.

Didn't watch him in college.
Didn't have an opinion on him.

It was the year after that I started looking hard into the draft.

Somebody made an avatar and I thought it's cool to support a player.
That's about it.

A couple years ago, when CB complained about Okoye during TC, I simply said "forget about where he was drafted", "he isn't great, but he's not a bust".
No, he doesn't play up to his draft status, but he can still be a part of the defense while we continue to plug other holes.

He's still playing the same for the Bears.

I was in support of the pick.

Originally Posted by TexanSam
I don't know what the Titans are doing with their RB corps. They have Lendale White. They drafted Chris Henry from Arizona last year then this year they take Chris Johnson from ECU in the 1st round. Seems kinda dumb to me.
But I think THIS pick is like hitting the "undo" button.

My response to TexanSam:

I think THIS pick is the real deal. Nobody, not even the casual NFL fan, thought Chris Henry was a good pick.

I watched Chris Johnson play in his bowl game...he was a FORCE. It got to the point where they were faking handoffs, or faking pitches, or faking throws to Chris Johnson...just because he was doing so much damage earlier in the game...and it was opening up the whole offense.

And unlike Reggie Bush, Chris Johnson would lower his shoulder and plow a defender. He is a scrapper. He's a Marshawn Lynch-type player, but with amazing speed.

But hey...we needed RB AND OL. We chose OL. That's how it goes. I expect RB in the third.

------------------

IIRC, we did pick up a RB (Slaton) in the 3rd. This was the rumored reason why we went with Brown in the 1st round. It got us a pick, we slid down and still got Brown.

you know a couple months ago Chris Williams was projected as a 2nd rd. pick. Albert was'nt even being mentioned. Brown to people who have access to game film or followed Virginia Tech football know all about him. he is a ZBS LT prospect & Gibbs will coach him up. he has reach & hand size over Williams, is clean on & off the field. I'll trust Rick that he believes Gibbs recomendation. the Texans had to address this position, Matt Schaub has to be protected better & I hear he (Duane) has a nasty mean streak :bowser:

Oh yeah, he does :)

Last edited:
I remember defending this pick hard. Allot of people said it was a reach, but after researching Brown and understanding why (was Gibbs the great ZBS line coach) they wanted him, I knew it was a good pick. Then when SD said they were going to take him if the Texans didn't...

This thread is now well over 4 years old and I still find the people who hated this pick funny. I don't know if Brown makes the PB in his career but he's a great left tackle and he absolutely murders defenders in the ZBS.

PFF writeup on Brown vs Detroit.

Mike Mayock (NFLN) is an *****. He said Houston should have waited until the 2nd round to pick up Brown. This boy is like the rest, jackin his jaw without engaging his brain.

I like how most of these guys evaluate players. I like how they break down the good the bad. Some of them you can tell think way too much of combine numbers, others, not enough.

But none of them have any idea what happens inside a war room. & even though they do a decent job of ranking players & projected players, their understanding of selecting players is academic at best.

It's a lot more comfy on the bandwagon now with all of you apparently jumping off.

Because all of you draft experts already know Phillips, Mendenhall, Cason, and whoever else you wanted already know that Duane Brown isn't going to be as good as them. You are all ready to put Rick Smith, Alex Gibbs, and Kubiak's head on a pike because you hate this pick. You guys are lame.

Welcome to the Texans Duane Brown!

Well done!

I had Brown as a early to mid 2nd. Is it a reach? A little bit. I like him as a player and was hoping to target him in the second.

That said, I see a trend going on and that is that the CBs are falling. The RB class also looks pretty solid. Now with 2 thirds I could see us taking a 2nd round graded CB, RB or both.

I think a lot of people are looking at this move as disappointing, but I think that he will change your minds.

WOW. You really knew what you were talking about. You were right, he did change a lot of people's minds. He became the franchise LT we were hoping. I like how you off handely just project the next two Texans picks! You said they would go with a CB and RB and were right. You even nailed the order Moulden and then Slaton. While Moulden ended up being a bust, I think Slaton could have been great if used properly. VERY impressive sir! Its too bad you didn't stick around. I would have loved to hear your thoughts on the upcoming draft!

this pick will haunt us. mark my words....we messed up bad. We traded back ignorantly, and for what??? really? im curious...espn hasn't covered the trade. What did we get for passing on mendenhall

if he turns into a franchise LT, i'll eat my texans hat live on webcam.

Of course the most amusing posts came from this guy...the same guy who ripped off his so called friends. Yeah...not surprising in the least bit.

In other news: last year, SWTBOUND07 called the first round pick of J.J. Watt the worst first round pick in the history of the NFL and another indication that the Texans would never, ever have a winning season... EVAR... or he would swallow something that I can't actually mention on the board.

note: I have no evidence for this. Just sayin.

In other news: last year, SWTBOUND07 called the first round pick of J.J. Watt the worst first round pick in the history of the NFL and another indication that the Texans would never, ever have a winning season... EVAR... or he would swallow something that I can't actually mention on the board.

note: I have no evidence for this. Just sayin.

Prob why the guy hasnt come back, he must be the titans GM now :hurrah:

423093_390839417651330_629344465_n.jpg

Back