Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Duane Brown: First Round pick of the Texans

Now this is a perfect example of why I say we have some of the most pitiful fans in the NFL..lol. This guy has to be one of the people that was against the Mario pick...lol I guess football was gone away from Houston for so long that the fans forgot how to be real fans...man back that pick up. :aggressive:

Know him before you judge him Ubecool.

SWT is a hardcore Texans fan expressing his dissappointment, he is well known around these parts and we understand him.

The pick was way out of left field and could be seen as a reach, time will tell but you need to respect that SWT is a passionate fan expressing himself passionately.

SWT is a hardcore Texans fan expressing his dissappointment, he is well known around these parts and we understand him.

The pick was way out of left field and could be seen as a reach, time will tell but you need to respect that SWT is a passionate fan expressing himself passionately.
I know him via the board (not personally) and I think his behavior was an embarrassment to Texan fans out there. Thousands of people read this board worldwide. I felt it to be a poor representation of Texans fans overall.

He did apologize so take that for what it's worth.

He really does but he also has the look of a fellow who has a learning disability. I'm sure I'm wrong but that's what I saw out of the interview.

Thanks Pencil. Also have to spread so couldn't rep you.

Well, he was actually reasonably articulate so there was a lot going on in what you couldn't hear.

In short, nah. It's alright.

Now this is a perfect example of why I say we have some of the most pitiful fans in the NFL..lol. This guy has to be one of the people that was against the Mario pick...lol I guess football was gone away from Houston for so long that the fans forgot how to be real fans...man back that pick up. :aggressive:

This has changed a bit over the years since Kubs have taken over. In the past, we would have picked Reggie Bush (fan pressure) and just given him the ball every play (a single player savior mentality). Similarly to how we used Hakeem in the 80's - give him the ball every play but failed to put good complintary players around him (until later, of course). We saw this with the Astros as well with Baggs and Biggs. Milk'em as if Baggs would homer us to a Pennant. It doesn't work.

We're following the example of the Spurs/Ravens/Patriots/Broncos method of team building this time around.

And although, we do have a few "overreacting fans." It's not like it used to be. Plus, we have fans that set them straight (we send them to a reeducation program). :cowboy1:

Well, he was actually reasonably articulate so there was a lot going on in what you couldn't hear.

In short, nah. It's alright.
Oh I saw that. His speaking ability appeared to be quite fluid when he was talking to Anna-Megan. I'm talking more so about his look. It really.... I don't know... a lot of people say that he looks mean... I don't feel scared of him by looking at him. I actually want to speak slowly to him (like half of the planet does with me. LMAO.) and maybe pat him on the head or something.

I'm real glad to hear that he sounded real articulate. That's definitely something extremely positive to be hearing because we need a smart LT here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Duane Brown doubter. I'm happy to have him on the Houston Texans and have been since he was selected. I flinched a little bit but I did jump for joy right after. Honest. Kinda like... Yeeee...uh?....aaaaahhhhhhhh!!

The pick was not really that far out in left field. I read about Brown climbing the draft charts a day or two before the draft. I'm no expert by any means, in fact I am a total moron, so if I was reading about him (along with Gosder Cherilus), then you can be damn sure the NFL teams had him on their boards and were ready to grab him.

Don't invest too much in the words of Todd McShay, Lance Zierlein, John Harris, etc...What did they all say about Limas Sweed? Devin Thomas? Not only were both of these guys bested in the draft by Coog receiver Donnie Avery, there wasn't a single wideout taken in the entire first round.

What about Joe Flacco? How many experts had him going in the middle of the first round before Brian Brohm?

Or Sam Baker? I don't recall his name being a consensus first round pick.

I thought it was a very good interview. He seems sur eof himself. I was especially impressed when he said he had things he wanted to work on (hand and rolling of hips). I think it shows that he knows he hasn't be given a free pass and will have to eanr his way.

Interesting column in sporting news:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=405215

Matt Hayes is already calling Jake Long a bust, and that Duane Brown should have been the #1 pick.

Heh. I was wondering when we'd start seeing the "Long is a bust" articles.

Turning Leaf: Pick No. 1, right out of the box, has all the panache of pea soup. NFL guys say Long is the prototype left tackle, a player who can have a Tony Boselli-like career. I covered Tony Boselli way back when, and trust me, Jake Long is no Tony Boselli.

Hello, West Texas A&M: Did anyone else notice how every draft expert on the planet says Long needs to improve his pass blocking? You don't use the No. 1 overall pick on a mauler still developing as a pass blocker (see: Robert Gallery) -- especially when he's protecting the most important position on the field.

Bill Polian's perfect world: Duane Brown, Virginia Tech. Texans took him with the 26th overall pick. Former tight end, huge wingspan, very athletic, nasty attitude.

long is a bust already? the burden of #1 overall. i still can't believe mario came out on top this year. bush, young, demeco getting droy in his first year

Ill admit that I was surprised to see Duane called in the first. I thought we were targeting Chris Williams in the first and since he was drafted ahead of us we accepted the trade down to 26. I think the Texans let the run on tackles get to them, and personally feel that a 2nd trade down still would have netted them Duane Brown. But maybe the NFL teams thought of Brown as well as we did and were prepaired to take him with a later 1 or early 2.

Sometimes you just have to stay where you are and take your man rather than trade down and end up with a guy you didnt like as much.

Ill admit that I was surprised to see Duane called in the first. I thought we were targeting Chris Williams in the first and since he was drafted ahead of us we accepted the trade down to 26. I think the Texans let the run on tackles get to them, and personally feel that a 2nd trade down still would have netted them Duane Brown. But maybe the NFL teams thought of Brown as well as we did and were prepaired to take him with a later 1 or early 2.

Sometimes you just have to stay where you are and take your man rather than trade down and end up with a guy you didnt like as much.

Orlando Pace is getting older and coming off a season-ending injury. Considering St. Louis took an OT (Greco) in the third and an OG in the fifth (Scheuning), if Brown had been available I could see them taking him over Avery with the second pick of the second round. Smithiak not pulling the trigger at 26 would've been a gamble that could have undermined the Texans entire draft strategy. Wise move, IMO.

Yall might think I'm crazy, but for all his Williams gifts, he's not a tough guy mentally. At the senior bowl he was abused and just seem like he didnt care. Gibbs probably interviewed the guy once and passed because of this. I like Brown because he fits their profile. Now that the texans have systems in place, their draft board looks different now. Dont worry about what people say.

Kubiak said that this is the player that he and Gibbs wanted all along. Albert, Williams and Brown were the Ot's they had their eye on coming in to this draft. They were actually thinking of trading back up to make sure they could get Brown.

Kubiak said that this is the player that he and Gibbs wanted all along. Albert, Williams and Brown were the Ot's they had their eye on coming in to this draft. They were actually thinking of trading back up to make sure they could get Brown.

yeah i mean there is a clear line of deliniation here...either these guys are bald faced liars or they took the guy they dearly wanted among the top 63. I mean anyone thinks Kubes and Smith lack integrity...post that. I wanna see that s%$t .

What I'm thirilled about is that Smith called the shot. He knew what teams were going to take who. And instead of panicking, he pulled the trigger on a trade and got more picks. Last time we tried that we got punked. They know what they are doing. let it go.

yeah i mean there is a clear line of deliniation here...either these guys are bald faced liars or they took the guy they dearly wanted among the top 63. I mean anyone thinks Kubes and Smith lack integrity...post that. I wanna see that s%$t .

What I'm thirilled about is that Smith called the shot. He knew what teams were going to take who. And instead of panicking, he pulled the trigger on a trade and got more picks. Last time we tried that we got punked. They know what they are doing. let it go.

You know, you and I agreeing on something is one of the signs of the Apocalypse.

Y'all want a gauge on Brown's athleticism?

Brown played on the punt coverage unit and occasionally made the tackle, and this is for the specials teams master, Frank Beamer.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/10/AR2006111001461.html

Against Clemson, Brown released quickly and charged down the field as a punt fell out of the sky into the arms of C.J. Spiller, one of the faster players in the country. Brown squared him up with the sideline to his left, funeled him that way and made the tackle alone.

"He wasn't the only scared one," Brown said. "I was looking around, waiting for him to make a move. If he made one move, it could have got ugly. But I just tried to use the sideline as my friend. I knew if I had him in the open field, it wouldn't have been any kind of match."

I dont know if this has been posted this thread is too long and Im to tired to read it all.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d807bafd0&template=with-video&confirm=true

8. Duane Brown, Virginia Tech
Height: 6-4 Weight: 315
College stats: 40 starts
Vital numbers: 5.03 40-yard dash, 24 bench reps, 4.55 short shuttle

Brown is the second-fastest rising offensive lineman in this draft as he chases Branden Albert up the board. He might be a hair short for the prototypical left tackle but he has the athleticism to get the job done. Too many players who lined up against Brown this past season have told me he was the best they faced. There are game tapes that will keep him from the first round, but O-line coaches seem to think a year of coaching and he's ready to go. Draft projection: Round 2.

The pick was not really that far out in left field. I read about Brown climbing the draft charts a day or two before the draft. I'm no expert by any means, in fact I am a total moron, so if I was reading about him (along with Gosder Cherilus), then you can be damn sure the NFL teams had him on their boards and were ready to grab him.

Don't invest too much in the words of Todd McShay, Lance Zierlein, John Harris, etc...What did they all say about Limas Sweed? Devin Thomas? Not only were both of these guys bested in the draft by Coog receiver Donnie Avery, there wasn't a single wideout taken in the entire first round.

What about Joe Flacco? How many experts had him going in the middle of the first round before Brian Brohm?

Or Sam Baker? I don't recall his name being a consensus first round pick.

What does where a player goes have to do with how he is going to do? I'm sure everyone remembers that super-cool move the Cavs pulled off when they shocked everyone by drafting Tradgon Langdon with a lottery pick in the NBA draft. Nobody saw that coming but that ended up being a great pick..... wait...... no, it wasn't.

I think Brown went early but I've covered the entire topic on my blog. However, you can discount people's opinion all you want but John Harris also pointed out how Alex Gibbs 1st round tackle, George Foster, has been a bust and was even dealt from Denver. I trust in Alex Gibbs the coach but I have seen many a quality coach fail in the area of evaluation. Do we not remember Dom Capers - one of the most respected 3-4 defensive minds in history? He felt like the Texans needed Travis Johnson, had to re-sign Gary Walker and must move up for Jason Babin. Coaching and evaluation are often mutually exclusive. That's all I'm saying.

With all of this said, I'm not sure Brown would have gotten past #30.

What does where a player goes have to do with how he is going to do? I'm sure everyone remembers that super-cool move the Cavs pulled off when they shocked everyone by drafting Tradgon Langdon with a lottery pick in the NBA draft. Nobody saw that coming but that ended up being a great pick..... wait...... no, it wasn't.

I think Brown went early but I've covered the entire topic on my blog. However, you can discount people's opinion all you want but John Harris also pointed out how Alex Gibbs 1st round tackle, George Foster, has been a bust and was even dealt from Denver. I trust in Alex Gibbs the coach but I have seen many a quality coach fail in the area of evaluation. Do we not remember Dom Capers - one of the most respected 3-4 defensive minds in history? He felt like the Texans needed Travis Johnson, had to re-sign Gary Walker and must move up for Jason Babin. Coaching and evaluation are often mutually exclusive. That's all I'm saying.

As fans though it's more enjoyable to hope for the best ... not blindly ... like five years ... but let's get him on the field and we'll see .

I think Brown went early but I've covered the entire topic on my blog. However, you can discount people's opinion all you want but John Harris also pointed out how Alex Gibbs 1st round tackle, George Foster, has been a bust and was even dealt from Denver.
That George Foster was Alex Gibbs' selection in the 2003 draft is a pretty big assumption. One, Foster was nothing like the ZBS prototypical lineman that Gibbs favored, small & athletic. Two, Gibbs was a part-time coach at Denver in 2003. Then he left the Broncos to join the Falcons in '04. That Gibbs was instrumental in Foster's selection and development isn't well founded. And even if the Foster pick received Gibbs' blessing in '03, Gibbs has obviously gone back to his comfort zone with Duane Brown.

I'm always suspicious of the sacks allowed stat. Watching one of the networks video highlights on Duane Brown, a sack by the defender engaged by Brown was shown. The implication was that this was a sack allowed by Brown, that he had quit on the block. What they didn't say was that the QB took a 3 step drop. The ball was supposed to be out well before the pass rusher completely circled Brown and found the QB. As we've seen in the past here in Houston, sometimes the sack allowed belongs to the QB.

Regarding technique, clearly Brown will have to be broken down and built up by Gibbs and Benton. But, they would have to do the same with Ryan Clady or Chris Williams. Think about all the work that would have to be done with Branden Albert, who had a total of 2 games at LT his entire career.

If Duane Brown becomes an accomplished LT, this wouldn't be the first time that John Harris was wrong on a prospect. He was calling Reggie Bush the best player in college football as a freshman. Everyone makes mistakes. Some of us are just more willing to side with Alex Gibbs opinion than internet scouts, like John Harris or Todd McShay.

That George Foster was Alex Gibbs' selection in the 2003 draft is a pretty big assumption. One, Foster was nothing like the ZBS prototypical lineman that Gibbs favored, small & athletic. Two, Gibbs was a part-time coach at Denver in 2003. Then he left the Broncos to join the Falcons in '04. That Gibbs was instrumental in Foster's selection and development isn't well founded. And even if the Foster pick received Gibbs' blessing in '03, Gibbs has obviously gone back to his comfort zone with Duane Brown.

I'm always suspicious of the sacks allowed stat. Watching one of the networks video highlights on Duane Brown, a sack by the defender engaged by Brown was shown. The implication was that this was a sack allowed by Brown, that he had quit on the block. What they didn't say was that the QB took a 3 step drop. The ball was supposed to be out well before the pass rusher completely circled Brown and found the QB. As we've seen in the past here in Houston, sometimes the sack allowed belongs to the QB.

Regarding technique, clearly Brown will have to be broken down and built up by Gibbs and Benton. But, they would have to do the same with Ryan Clady or Chris Williams. Think about all the work that would have to be done with Branden Albert, who had a total of 2 games at LT his entire career.

If Duane Brown becomes an accomplished LT, this wouldn't be the first time that John Harris was wrong on a prospect. He was calling Reggie Bush the best player in college football as a freshman. Everyone makes mistakes. Some of us are just more willing to side with Alex Gibbs opinion than internet scouts, like John Harris or Todd McShay.

Nice points.

Check out what Peter King said at the time with the George Foster pick:

3. I think the Broncos, in selecting 338-pound Georgia product George Foster at No. 20, have gone against the Alex Gibbs school of picking offensive tackles. Gibbs is the longtime offensive line coach, now Denver's line consultant, who always, always, always liked quick and smallish guys. I'm sure the Broncos think because Foster's a relatively lithe 5.1-in-the-40-yard-dash guy that he'll be quick enough to play on their active offensive line.

What does where a player goes have to do with how he is going to do?
I just watched a show on the NFL network and the class of 1993 had 41 Pro Bowl players in it. I saw a graphic that showed that most years there were around 30 or so Pro Bowlers in every draft class...and these Pro Bowl players are in every round of the draft as well as in the undrafted FA market also. People get too caught on on draft slotting.

I just watched a show on the NFL network and the class of 1993 had 41 Pro Bowl players in it. I saw a graphic that showed that most years there were around 30 or so Pro Bowlers in every draft class...and these Pro Bowl players are in every round of the draft as well as in the undrafted FA market also. People get too caught on on draft slotting.

totally agree Lance. but don't say that around here though. you may get burned alive on a stake for speaking ill of the messiah Gibbs. After all, Gibbs is the greatest OL coach in the history of football and his arrival here guarantees success. Get with the program, LZ.

Gibbs has yet to coach a down for the Texans and is inviso to the media but he is above criticism and we should be lucky to be in his presence. Oh, and how many Super Bowls has Gibbs been in without Elway? Thats right, zero.

this deal stinks of Babin. coaches pick. workout warrior. raw project. bit of a reach based on many boards.

I always thought the ZBS was a system that didn't necessitate early selections on OL and that you could get guys that 'fit' later in the draft or even in UDFA. Especially when you have such glaring weaknesses at CB, DE, OLB, and RB...but whatever, hope it works out or its gonna be really a tough pill to swallow. Good luck, Duane Brown. Hope you are kickass. You will be the ones answering the questions from the media. We all know that is beneath Gibbs. Media be damned.

this deal stinks of Babin. coaches pick. workout warrior. raw project. bit of a reach based on many boards.

I always thought the ZBS was a system that didn't necessitate early selections on OL and that you could get guys that 'fit' later in the draft or even in UDFA.
A reach on who's boards? NFL teams or draftniks?

Weren't you clamoring for Rashard Mendenhall at #18? There's also the theory that ZBS teams shouldn't take backs early. In fact, there are enough draft theories out there to criticize any position selected. Don't take safeties or interior linemen early. Linebackers can be found in the later rounds. QBs are made, not born. Doesn't matter who the Texans could have selected, someone would complain.

How about waiting to biacth about the Brown pick until he plays a NFL game? At least then, we could have a debate with something tangible. Unlike the draft gurus, I'll wait until this class gets on the field before I grade them.

A reach on who's boards? NFL teams or draftniks?

Weren't you clamoring for Rashard Mendenhall at #18? There's also the theory that ZBS teams shouldn't take backs early. In fact, there are enough draft theories out there to criticize any position selected. Don't take safeties or interior linemen early. Linebackers can be found in the later rounds. QBs are made, not born. Doesn't matter who the Texans could have selected, someone would complain.

How about waiting to biacth about the Brown pick until he plays a NFL game? At least then, we could have a debate with something tangible. Unlike the draft gurus, I'll wait until this class gets on the field before I grade them.

No I wasn't clamoring for Mendenhall. The trade down was necessary and got us another quality player in Adibi (who may be the most impactive rookie we got) At #26 I would have taken Merling or Phillips or Cason. Our defense was and still is the problem with our team. Everyone knows you cant win without a good defense...something that we have yet to attain since we dumped Glenn and added PBurnt pre-2005 2-14 season.

Our defense was and still is the problem with our team.
That was true this past season. But, building a team is like a juggling act. Smith & Kubiak have to take into account a rise in production from the young defenders like Williams, Okoye, Bennett, Diles, and the Brandons (Harrison & Mitchell). And a possible drop in production from older vets, like Salaam.

The better teams take a player a year ahead of when they'll really need him. Smith and Kubiak are acting as if they're here for the long haul, as opposed to C & C when they went for broke on the Babin & Buchanon deals.

I'm a fan, and I'll admit to looking at things through rose-colored Homer glasses.

But then again, this is the off-season, and the week after the draft. The time of year where optimism (warranted or unwarranted) is acceptable. The time of year when 32 out of 32 teams are Super Bowl contenders. If it's a good pick, then I'll be happy again many times in the coming seasons. If it's a bad pick, then there'll be plenty of times down the road where criticism and frustration is more warranted.

If being a fan did nothing but cause me to ***** and moan (regardless of whether I was right), I think I'd re-consider being a fan, unless I found bitching and moaning enjoyable. If I found bitching and moaning enjoyable, I'd re-consider lots of things.

What does where a player goes have to do with how he is going to do?

Oh absolutely nothing. The only thing it affects is the size of his new house and the size of what's expected of him by the fans and media.

My intent wasn't to wholly discount your opinion, LZ. I respect it because you obviously know your O-lines. My point was simply to put all the post-draft analysis into proper perspective, which I think some people just refuse to do. And by "some people" I mean draft pudnicks like Todd McShay, who continually make factually incorrect statements in handing out their silly draft grades.

Alex Gibbs is a highly respected coach whose reputation for O-line genius is probably a mix of six parts truth and four parts hyperbole. There is a real chance that Gibbs has overrated Duane Brown, but the Texans hired him to get the the damn line fixed so they had to get him a player to work with. If Brown was a guy they felt fit what Gibbs wants, who am I to quibble? Brown could be just another guy, or he could prove to be a long-term answer at LT. I don't know the answer yet, but I am excited to see if he can develop into a good player.

My beef is with the "reach" crowd who were baffled by the Texans' first pick because they'd either never heard of the guy or had him graded in the middle of the second or third round. The Texans desperately needed a tackle, they didn't have a second round pick, and it's a reach that they traded down to snag the last remaining OT off the board and got an extra third round pick in the process? Really? That argument never made any sense to me, and we now know for a fact that San Diego would've taken him at 27. Brown's actual draft value proved to be much higher than most experts thought, so I think the Texans deserve some credit for turning an unfavorable Saturday (no Chris Williams or Branden Albert) into a reasonably good draft.

LT? Check.
CB? Check.
RB? Check.

I have a sneaky suspicion this team is going to be pretty damn good in 2008.

the Texans didn't desparately need a tackle so bad they had to use the 1st Round irregardless of value. the OL wasn't the reason we didn't make the playoffs last year. quite the contrary. the porous defense was.

the OL wasn't the reason we didn't make the playoffs last year. quite the contrary. the porous defense was.

True the overall performance of the O was better than the D, but there was a clear problem remaining on the O--Salaam giving up 10 sacks and who knows how many QB hurries, hits, etc. How many of those resulted in INT's, fumbles and 3rd downs not converted? Salaam did a great job for who he is supposed to be, a backup, but there were two giant problems on O and those were LT and RB--the Texans addressed both in the off-season.

Here is the other equation--overall value. Imagine the Texans use a point system and are sitting there with Cason and Brown available at 26 with Cason ranked at 86 and Brown at 80 but then they look down their board and see that what's likely in the third are a LT they have ranked at 20 and Molden who they have ranked at 60. The overall better value to the team is Brown and Molden.

the Texans didn't desparately need a tackle so bad they had to use the 1st Round irregardless of value. the OL wasn't the reason we didn't make the playoffs last year. quite the contrary. the porous defense was.

It sounds like you think they should have used a 1st round pick on defense "irregardless of value". What info do you have that DBrown wasn't the highest player on the board for them- certainly he was for the Chargers who picked Cason right after us.

Are you actually going to criticize the same team who chose Mario over Reggie and Vince two years ago for under-emphasizing the defense?

Let's look at the attention to defense the past three off-seasons:

2006: 1st and 2nd round- Mario and Demeco, signing of Weaver, Maddox, WRainer, Kalu, Cochran, etc...

2007: 1st, 4th, 5th round- Okoye, Bennett, Harrison, signing of Danny Clark, Fletcher, Demps, trade for M.Boulware.

2008: 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th round- Molden, Adibi, Okam, Barber, signing of J.Reeves, Bentley, CThompson

I'm not sure how anyone could honestly suggest that this team doesn't adequately weight the importance of defense. Your argument really has nothing to stand on. We know other teams also had Brown rated ahead of guys like Cason and that he wouldn't have made it out of the 1st round. Also, clearly, the team has sunk a lot of money and picks into the defense the past 3 years. So, what's your point other than an inability to admit when you are in error.

You and Salaam's mother may be the only two people in the world that would say such a thing!

Nope we need to continue to wait on Spencer and never ever get a player whom the Team thinks can be the LT for the next decade. Makes perfect sense.

Oh and as Dale has pointed out, they are drafting players for the defense incase you have not noticed. It is called balancing what they do on both sides of the ball versus just the one side like you are doing.

Um, they took him right where he would've gone. If they don't take him at 26, the Chargers take him at 27. And even if they hadn't, Green Bay or St. Louis probably would have.

In other words, the Houston Texans got the right value out of the pick.

In other words, the Houston Texans got the right value out of the pick.

Exactly. Brown was far from being the best LT in the draft, but the drop off after him was fairly steep. The Texans made the right choice. He's gonna need some coaching to get his pass defensive skills up, and I don't seem him as our starting LT going into the season, but he will be someday. And he should be a good one.

Well Kubiak has said he plans on throwing Brown into the fire...

He'll have to suck it up to get his spot taken before the first game of the season...

totally agree Lance. but don't say that around here though. you may get burned alive on a stake for speaking ill of the messiah Gibbs. After all, Gibbs is the greatest OL coach in the history of football and his arrival here guarantees success. Get with the program, LZ.

You know, I'm pretty sure you just try to say stuff to get other people to respond with statements like this. It's obvious that people are willing to discuss their points with LZ (See Lucky's very well thought out post above your absolutely crappy one) in a normal and lucid manner. You try to get people mad and embellish your opinions to the point of them being inflammatory (Or you really need some meds to help calm you down some). This is why you get **** on with most of your posts, and people call you a troll and whatnot, while LZ gets tons of respect. Just saying.

To end my thoughts on Brown. It's pretty much a week after the draft. We'll start having mini-camp news and OTA news coming soon, and I think we can only really begin to scratch the surface of what we will think of the Brown pick when that starts. I am glad the Texans got some value for trading down (Slaton, Barber), and they still picked up a guy they were targeting. Sure he went a little early (But he's not getting a 30 million dollar contract either, so it's moot), but I don't see anybody left in the 3rd rounds or later that I would think could fill the shoes of "starting LT" in the NFL.

Oh how soon we forget the pathetic drafting of Asserly.

I guess it comes down too what your value is on an anchor for the o-line. Now this guy has the numbers, the arm length, and the starts, and qucikness they are looking for. What he doesn't have is Joe Thomas marine boot shine.

Running backs life span is five years. O-lineman eight. One thing is a fact today that wasn't April 29th. Duane Brown wasn't gong to make it to the 79 pick........Brown is Gibbs hand picked boy. Now you can argue that there would of been better value at giving up '09 picks to jump K.C. to land Alberts. They didn't have the ammo to jump Chicago. But at what price ? sacrifice Molden and Slaton ? Ah, no.

As I posted earllier SH...you have no point. the only thing you are doing now is showing your a$$. Dice it up any way you want.. the Texans got value with the pick(s). And they didn't reach. Be gald it wasn't me I'd of spent every pick in the bag moving up for Alberts. Damn the corner back.

It sounds like you think they should have used a 1st round pick on defense "irregardless of value". What info do you have that DBrown wasn't the highest player on the board for them- certainly he was for the Chargers who picked Cason right after us.

Are you actually going to criticize the same team who chose Mario over Reggie and Vince two years ago for under-emphasizing the defense?

Let's look at the attention to defense the past three off-seasons:

2006: 1st and 2nd round- Mario and Demeco, signing of Weaver, Maddox, WRainer, Kalu, Cochran, etc...

2007: 1st, 4th, 5th round- Okoye, Bennett, Harrison, signing of Danny Clark, Fletcher, Demps, trade for M.Boulware.

2008: 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th round- Molden, Adibi, Okam, Barber, signing of J.Reeves, Bentley, CThompson

I'm not sure how anyone could honestly suggest that this team doesn't adequately weight the importance of defense. Your argument really has nothing to stand on. We know other teams also had Brown rated ahead of guys like Cason and that he wouldn't have made it out of the 1st round. Also, clearly, the team has sunk a lot of money and picks into the defense the past 3 years. So, what's your point other than an inability to admit when you are in error.

just because you use a bunch of picks on defense doesnt mean your defense is goood.

oh and you know 'certainly he was highest rated player for the Chargers'. Oh really? i have read the same report as you but that doesnt make it fact.

my point is that the defense held better value at the position we drafted IMHO.

I also did not feel we 'desparately' needed a tackle. sure we needed a tackle but i felt other needs were more pressing IMHO.

you have opinion. i have opinioin. just like you used to make excuses for carr because that was your opinion. just like you blamed everything wrong with Carr ont eh coaching staff. that was your opinion too. I had my opinion then and I have my opinion now. sorry it doesnt jive with mine and dont be surprised if 10 years from now Brown is sacking groceries and Kenny Phillips is playing in his 6th Pro Bowl....

sorry if I dont buy into the whole 'Alex Gibbs Is God' argument that seems so pervasive around here. I guess i am not as good of a fan as you.

*yawns*

Back