Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Duane Brown: First Round pick of the Texans

True the overall performance of the O was better than the D, but there was a clear problem remaining on the O--Salaam giving up 10 sacks and who knows how many QB hurries, hits, etc. How many of those resulted in INT's, fumbles and 3rd downs not converted? Salaam did a great job for who he is supposed to be, a backup, but there were two giant problems on O and those were LT and RB--the Texans addressed both in the off-season.

Here is the other equation--overall value. Imagine the Texans use a point system and are sitting there with Cason and Brown available at 26 with Cason ranked at 86 and Brown at 80 but then they look down their board and see that what's likely in the third are a LT they have ranked at 20 and Molden who they have ranked at 60. The overall better value to the team is Brown and Molden.

I agree with you 100% icak in theory just not in practice in this example. I just feel the team panicked a bit and in hindsight could have gotten more value with Collins or Hills in the 3rd.

I just hate when we keep trying to fit square pegs into round holes. thats all.

You know, I'm pretty sure you just try to say stuff to get other people to respond with statements like this. It's obvious that people are willing to discuss their points with LZ (See Lucky's very well thought out post above your absolutely crappy one) in a normal and lucid manner. You try to get people mad and embellish your opinions to the point of them being inflammatory (Or you really need some meds to help calm you down some). This is why you get **** on with most of your posts, and people call you a troll and whatnot, while LZ gets tons of respect. Just saying.

To end my thoughts on Brown. It's pretty much a week after the draft. We'll start having mini-camp news and OTA news coming soon, and I think we can only really begin to scratch the surface of what we will think of the Brown pick when that starts. I am glad the Texans got some value for trading down (Slaton, Barber), and they still picked up a guy they were targeting. Sure he went a little early (But he's not getting a 30 million dollar contract either, so it's moot), but I don't see anybody left in the 3rd rounds or later that I would think could fill the shoes of "starting LT" in the NFL.

Oh how soon we forget the pathetic drafting of Asserly.

bong, do you really think i care what you or really anyone on this board thinks about me? i never have and i never will.

sorry that I aint one of the sheeple. never have been and never will be. you would think some of you would learn that its ok to criticize your team and its ok for others to criticize your team. you would think you would have learned that after the littany of errors this team has made in the past but every move was practically championed and praised by all of the sheeple until the whole outhouse went up in flames.

bong, your not a sheeple. you do have a legitiimate non-homer take and that is great. i have liked reading much of your stuff. just dont bash me because I am not on the 'Gibbs Is God' bandwagon before he even coaches one freaking down for us. and don't bash me for feeling they reached and panicked after the run on LTs in the early and mid 1st Round. i get '**** on' with my posts? generally if people on this board disagree with me, that means I am right, so take that for what its worth.

how many Super Bowls has Gibbs been to without Elway? ZERO. Excuse me if I wait for him to 'Show Me' that he can make it work here. You would think based on some people's opinions of his system that defensive lines will part like Moses at the Red Sea and we will run through the playoffs like a hot knife through butter.

the same argument yall use on me about brown 'wait and see' is the same argument i use about gibbs. i aint crownin' his ass yet.

It sounds like you think they should have used a 1st round pick on defense "irregardless of value". What info do you have that DBrown wasn't the highest player on the board for them- certainly he was for the Chargers who picked Cason right after us.

Are you actually going to criticize the same team who chose Mario over Reggie and Vince two years ago for under-emphasizing the defense?

Let's look at the attention to defense the past three off-seasons:

2006: 1st and 2nd round- Mario and Demeco, signing of Weaver, Maddox, WRainer, Kalu, Cochran, etc...

2007: 1st, 4th, 5th round- Okoye, Bennett, Harrison, signing of Danny Clark, Fletcher, Demps, trade for M.Boulware.

2008: 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th round- Molden, Adibi, Okam, Barber, signing of J.Reeves, Bentley, CThompson

I'm not sure how anyone could honestly suggest that this team doesn't adequately weight the importance of defense. Your argument really has nothing to stand on. We know other teams also had Brown rated ahead of guys like Cason and that he wouldn't have made it out of the 1st round. Also, clearly, the team has sunk a lot of money and picks into the defense the past 3 years. So, what's your point other than an inability to admit when you are in error.

so in the previous two drafts we get 4 quality defenders and you act like we have devoted our life to defense in Texans land draft-wise. for schaub alone we spent two 2nd Rounders....but that doesnt support your argument now does it?

we have gone defense in the 1st Round but you can't just take that as 'mission accomplished' like Bush did in Iraq. Those players can be individually awesome but the defense still sucks as a unit. Pedigrees and draft position be damned. Production and wins is all that matters....but to ask a former Carr zealot to realize that may be asking a little much. After all, for some of you all you do is parrot what the team says and think you are somehow smart or insightful. Wrong. You probably need to grow a pair and realize that its ok to have opinions and its ok to not agree with the team. you were one of the biggest carr homers of all time so please excuse me if i discount your credibility and objectivity. i have forgotten more about football than you have ever known.

you have no credibility imho on anything texans-related and that is based on history not hyperbole or prejudice.

oh and you know 'certainly he was highest rated player for the Chargers'. Oh really? i have read the same report as you but that doesnt make it fact.

Wow, this is an astonishingly stupid comment. Let's review...

The draft tracker at nfl.com says the San Diego Chargers drafted at #27. Norv Turner [on not drafting a tackle in the first round]: “We came up one pick short.”

27-1 = 26.

Hmm, who got drafted at 26?

OH MY IT'S DUANE BROWN! To the Houston Texans!

"Guys, I read the same report but that doesn't make it fact! Pay no attention to what Norv Turner says."

Unable to get their right tackle of the future in last weekend's NFL Draft, the Chargers got a backup for now.

They agreed to terms today with veteran L.J. Shelton on a two-year deal, addressing their depth problem at the position.

Shelton started 16 games at right tackle for the Dolphins in 2007. In 10 NFL seasons, he has started 125 games. He has played guard as well.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080429-1431-shelton.html

so in the previous two drafts we get 4 quality defenders and you act like we have devoted our life to defense in Texans land draft-wise. for schaub alone we spent two 2nd Rounders....but that doesnt support your argument now does it?

we have gone defense in the 1st Round but you can't just take that as 'mission accomplished' like Bush did in Iraq. Those players can be individually awesome but the defense still sucks as a unit. Pedigrees and draft position be damned. Production and wins is all that matters....but to ask a former Carr zealot to realize that may be asking a little much.

you have no credibility imho on anything texans. you are still blaming capers for all the ills years later. turn page.

Why even converse with you... I'm not sure, because you have no interest in truth, only in defending your angrily entrenched position. But, here goes anyway:

1. Regarding my defense of Carr 3 years ago. I believed it made sense for the team to see if he could respond to quality coaching. I was never a Carr homer, though I was quite optimistic about his future in 2004.

2. I never argued that our defense was good last year or any other time. I simply stated that the evidence the past three off-seasons clearly shows that this organization realizes the significance of defense and hasn't been derilect in its efforts to build ours. I'm not sure how trading for Schaub defeats that argument. We aren't trying to build the 2000 Baltimore Ravens after all, nor was I arguing that we were.

3. You were the one complaining that we didn't take a defensive player in round 1 this year, even though we went defense in rounds 3-6. It was you that used the Duane Brown pick to complain that the organization doesn't get the significance of the defense. So, you were actually doing what you are errantly accusing me of. Personally, I think using 4 of the team's first 6 draft picks on the defensive side of the ball illustrates that the team does realize the defense needs help... For some reason, you do not. Could you possibly explain why that would be?

bong, do you really think i care what you or really anyone on this board thinks about me? i never have and i never will.

sorry that I aint one of the sheeple. never have been and never will be. you would think some of you would learn that its ok to criticize your team and its ok for others to criticize your team. you would think you would have learned that after the littany of errors this team has made in the past but every move was practically championed and praised by all of the sheeple until the whole outhouse went up in flames.

bong, your not a sheeple. you do have a legitiimate non-homer take and that is great. i have liked reading much of your stuff. just dont bash me because I am not on the 'Gibbs Is God' bandwagon before he even coaches one freaking down for us. and don't bash me for feeling they reached and panicked after the run on LTs in the early and mid 1st Round. i get '**** on' with my posts? generally if people on this board disagree with me, that means I am right, so take that for what its worth.

how many Super Bowls has Gibbs been to without Elway? ZERO. Excuse me if I wait for him to 'Show Me' that he can make it work here. You would think based on some people's opinions of his system that defensive lines will part like Moses at the Red Sea and we will run through the playoffs like a hot knife through butter.

the same argument yall use on me about brown 'wait and see' is the same argument i use about gibbs. i aint crownin' his ass yet.

Wow, I just wish you would read over some of the garbage you spew from your finger tips. It's obvious that if somebody disagree's with you then "they don't get it" and "they are sheeple" forget it. You're an attention whore who will troll the ever loving piss out of a subject until all parties are just disgusted with even trying to talk to you. I'm glad I won't have to worry about your posts anymore because YOU are sheeple, and YOU are the one going along with all the jock sniffers at ESPN and NFL.com with your evaluation of the draft.

And I wouldn't even have a problem with your posting if you didn't act like such an uppity troll who knows more about football than the entirety of this board.

The bottom line is You don't know more about football than everybody, you aren't always right, and you troll more often than make valid points.

But since you don't care anyway you can just go to my ignore list.

But I like the pick more and more now that there are some posters who are giant trolls and are against it. Go Brown Go.

we have gone defense in the 1st Round but you can't just take that as 'mission accomplished' like Bush did in Iraq. Those players can be individually awesome but the defense still sucks as a unit. Pedigrees and draft position be damned. Production and wins is all that matters....but to ask a former Carr zealot to realize that may be asking a little much. After all, for some of you all you do is parrot what the team says and think you are somehow smart or insightful. Wrong. You probably need to grow a pair and realize that its ok to have opinions and its ok to not agree with the team. you were one of the biggest carr homers of all time so please excuse me if i discount your credibility and objectivity. i have forgotten more about football than you have ever known.

you have no credibility imho on anything texans-related and that is based on history not hyperbole or prejudice.

I'm not sure I see what is brave about what you do. Cynicism is a coward's defense mechanism. You, and fans like you, can't cope with dissapointment so you develop a cynical and hypercritical view because you lack the coping skills of a mature adult.

Sure, I tend to err on the optimistic side of things. You're damn right! I would hope so. I believe quite confidently that I am an objective fan. However, anyone with limited access to information will often display a bias when making his judgements known. How can one not? As for me, I'll gladly be known for giving the team whom I root for and who has given me moments of great joy the benefit of the doubt.

If that means that I'm not credible and I have no testicles, I guess I'll need to learn to wear such labels with honor.

The draft tracker at nfl.com says the San Diego Chargers drafted at #27. Norv Turner [on not drafting a tackle in the first round]: “We came up one pick short.”

27-1 = 26.

"Guys, I read the same report but that doesn't make it fact! Pay no attention to what Norv Turner says."

Teams say a lot of things pre-draft that are not factual.

I don't see any reason for them to lie after the draft, especially since what they are saying isn't going to make the player they actually drafted feel real good.

Most teams, ours included, usually say good things about their pick.

"He's the player we targeted, really wanted, yada yada."

They don't usually say " we came up one pick short". JMHO though.

:coffee:

27-1 = 26.

its really easy for Turner to say that after the fact. i read that report as well and mentioned that in my post...but that would require some reading comprehension.

the Texans didn't desparately need a tackle so bad they had to use the 1st Round irregardless of value. the OL wasn't the reason we didn't make the playoffs last year. quite the contrary. the porous defense was.

I respectfully disagree.

The reason that the defense was so "porous" was turnovers.

We were 2nd worse in the league in giveaways with 38. That's more than two extra possessions for the other guys each game - quite often on our side of the 50. Very few teams have such a bad-a$$ defense that they can afford to give the ball away twice a game. I know we don't.

We cut down the turnovers maybe our defense has a chance to do a better job.
What happened to the theory that our offense could move the chains and let our defense stay fresh. Giving the ball away twice a game sure didn't help execute that strategy.

Why even converse with you... I'm not sure, because you have no interest in truth, only in defending your angrily entrenched position. But, here goes anyway:

1. Regarding my defense of Carr 3 years ago. I believed it made sense for the team to see if he could respond to quality coaching. I was never a Carr homer, though I was quite optimistic about his future in 2004.

2. I never argued that our defense was good last year or any other time. I simply stated that the evidence the past three off-seasons clearly shows that this organization realizes the significance of defense and hasn't been derilect in its efforts to build ours. I'm not sure how trading for Schaub defeats that argument. We aren't trying to build the 2000 Baltimore Ravens after all, nor was I arguing that we were.

3. You were the one complaining that we didn't take a defensive player in round 1 this year, even though we went defense in rounds 3-6. It was you that used the Duane Brown pick to complain that the organization doesn't get the significance of the defense. So, you were actually doing what you are errantly accusing me of. Personally, I think using 4 of the team's first 6 draft picks on the defensive side of the ball illustrates that the team does realize the defense needs help... For some reason, you do not. Could you possibly explain why that would be?

1. it made no sense and anyone who wasn't homering could see that the guy was a total scrub and no amount of coddling and coaching would ever change his mechanics, intelligence, and work ethic. but the homers, such as yourself, blamed everything under the moon besides the problem because of blind allegiance to a player much less the team. this shows lack of objectivity.

2. our defense still sucks and may be worse this year. our defense needed more help than our offense IMHO.

3. my point is that other than Adibi, the defensive help we got will probably make little impact in 2008 outside of maybe Moulden as a nickel.

Wow, I just wish you would read over some of the garbage you spew from your finger tips. It's obvious that if somebody disagree's with you then "they don't get it" and "they are sheeple" forget it. You're an attention whore who will troll the ever loving piss out of a subject until all parties are just disgusted with even trying to talk to you. I'm glad I won't have to worry about your posts anymore because YOU are sheeple, and YOU are the one going along with all the jock sniffers at ESPN and NFL.com with your evaluation of the draft.

And I wouldn't even have a problem with your posting if you didn't act like such an uppity troll who knows more about football than the entirety of this board.

The bottom line is You don't know more about football than everybody, you aren't always right, and you troll more often than make valid points.

But since you don't care anyway you can just go to my ignore list.

But I like the pick more and more now that there are some posters who are giant trolls and are against it. Go Brown Go.

translation: you don't agree with the Texans so you are ignored.

if the Texans had a better track record, I may give them the benefit of the doubt, but this pick smells like the Babin pick.

its really easy for Turner to say that after the fact. i read that report as well and mentioned that in my post...but that would require some reading comprehension.

Yes, it really is easy to tell the truth after the fact. Your ego is making you cling to absurdities. You don't really think Turner just blew smoke up everyone's ass, do you? Why would he lie about it? What purpose would it serve? If the Chargers really weren't interested in drafting the last available grade A tackle in the first round, why did they immediately sign a free agent tackle?

I respectfully disagree.

The reason that the defense was so "porous" was turnovers.

We were 2nd worse in the league in giveaways with 38. That's more than two extra possessions for the other guys each game - quite often on our side of the 50. Very few teams have such a bad-a$$ defense that they can afford to give the ball away twice a game. I know we don't.

We cut down the turnovers maybe our defense has a chance to do a better job.
What happened to the theory that our offense could move the chains and let our defense stay fresh. Giving the ball away twice a game sure didn't help execute that strategy.

I respect your opinion and you make a good point in regards to takeaways putting our defense in a bad spot. I think our talent on defense has more to do with the poor performance but no doubt, the large amount of takeaways were a factor in it's bad stats and bad results.

Exactly. It wasn't a secret to anyone that the Bolts were seeking a RT to bolster their solid line.

What?! That's absolutely preposturous that somebody else would be targeting such a HUGE, MASSIVE, OH-MY-GOD-I-HAVE-TO-KILL-MYSELF-REACH. It's obvious that Norv Turner is lying just to make sure that certain trolls look bad on their message board.

Duane Brown (Much like tons of other players in all NFL drafts) appears to have been much more liked as an LT than most media people even knew about. What. A. Shocker.

:sarcasm:

1. it made no sense and anyone who wasn't homering could see that the guy was a total scrub and no amount of coddling and coaching would ever change his mechanics, intelligence, and work ethic. but the homers, such as yourself, blamed everything under the moon besides the problem because of blind allegiance to a player much less the team. this shows lack of objectivity.

2. our defense still sucks and may be worse this year. our defense needed more help than our offense IMHO.

3. my point is that other than Adibi, the defensive help we got will probably make little impact in 2008 outside of maybe Moulden as a nickel.

1. Well, in 2004, at least for the first half of the season, we were winning games and he had a high QB rating, particularly in the 4th quarter. Do you recall the Minnesota game that season? Also, I never heard anything about his work ethic until things unraveled in 2005. By that point, I wanted a new staff and wanted the new staff to independantly evaluate all the players, including Carr.

2. The defense got the majority of the draft picks and the free agent attention this off-season, so it did get more help than the offense. I'm not sure why you think the defense will be worse this year- I guess that's your cynicism shining through again

3. Rookies usually struggle to make much impact. So, if we have two defensive rookies that make a positive impact on the defense, that's good.

I still don't understand how fans are still blaming this regime for decisions like the Babin trade and the PBurnt trade. That was a different staff. This staff makes very good decisions- even when it's not popular to do so... you are a UT homer right? Still bitter about the fact that we didn't take a QB in the draft that was much worse his second season that Carr was in his second season, '03.

translation: you don't agree with the Texans so you are ignored.

if the Texans had a better track record, I may give them the benefit of the doubt, but this pick smells like the Babin pick.

First, please don't play the martyr card.

Second, your Babin/Brown comparison is fundamentally flawed because you're ignoring the cost/benefit analysis behind each pick.

The Texans traded up to get Babin, and it cost them a 2nd, 3rd, and a 4th to get the deal done.

They traded down to get Brown, picking up an extra 3rd, which they used to draft Steve Slaton.

Texans Chick wrote a great blog entry recently about the damage Charley Casserly did to the franchise with his handling of mid-round picks. The Babin trade is a perfect example of what she was referring to. We all agree that the franchise has made a number of poor draft decisions since its inception, but the guys running the show now have a completely different approach. Even if Brown proves to be a reach, what did he cost? Very little, IMO.

Well, I'd like to know your opinion of other coaches around the league. Let's just take your thought process. (of course Gibbs isn't a head coach so I'm not too sure it's that fair in the 1st place)

How many Super Bowls has Bill Bilichik been too without Tom Brady?
How many Super Bowls has Tony Dungy been too without Peyton Manning?
How many Super Bowls has Coach X been to without Franchise QB Y?

You get my point.

I think a more fair assessment would be to analyze how the Offenses have faired in relation to other teams in the league while Gibbs has been with that team, don't you? More importantly, a main reason for hiring Gibbs is to get better at running the ball- Kubiak has stated countless times, 'we have to get better running the ball.' Keep in mind, Gibbs isn't here to coach the team to multiple super bowls, Kubiak is. Gibbs is here to install his system and players, and get the lines blocking correctly for better rushing and passing.

Gibbs brings a wealth of coaching and administrative experience to the Texans. In his most recent coaching position, he served as the assistant head coach/offensive line, as well as consultant, with the Atlanta Falcons from 2004-06. In 2004 the Falcons led the NFL in rushing for the first time in team history. They rushed for a team-record 2,672 yards, third highest rushing yards total in the NFL since 1990.

During the three seasons with Gibbs on staff in Atlanta, the team led the NFL in rushing with 8,157 yards. Atlanta was the only team over that three-year period to record a rushing average above five yards at 5.1.

Gibbs worked with Texans head coach Gary Kubiak, who served as the offensive coordinator in Denver, from 1995-03. During their time together, the Broncos led the NFL in rushing with 20,150 yards. Denver finished second in total offense with 54,167 yards during their nine seasons together.

He spent 13 combined seasons (1984-1987 and 1995-2003) mentoring the offensive line with the Broncos, where he established several franchise records. He played an essential role with the Broncos during their back-to-back Super Bowl wins in the late 90s. The offensive line set numerous franchise records during his second tenure with Denver, including most total yards (6,554 in 2000), most first downs (383 in 2000), most rushing yards (2,468 in 1998) and most rushing touchdowns (32 in 1998).

From 1995-2000, Gibbs’ offensive lines did not allow more than 35 sacks in a season. And during that span center Tom Nalen went to four consecutive Pro Bowls; and in 1998, three Broncos offensive linemen were nominated to the Pro Bowl for their role in winning their second consecutive Pro Bowl and blocking for NFL MVP Terrell Davis, who rushed for over 2,000 yards.

Alex Gibbs Bio

It was a good pick. Duane Brown has out performed the majority of the tackles drafted ahead of him. He's a good player who's still developing and with his athleticism he's already dominant in the running game.

Brown does have his shortcomings, no lied about that. He is a pretty good LT though and I think the moves made to get him into the fold were well worth it. I definitely would not have said this after his inaugural season though, cause he was straight up bad.

Worth a first round pick. Alex deserves a credit in drafting Brown. Alex taught the fundamental of ZBS and Dennison took our running game to the next level.

Go Texans!!!

Ill admit that I was surprised to see Duane called in the first. I thought we were targeting Chris Williams in the first and since he was drafted ahead of us we accepted the trade down to 26. I think the Texans let the run on tackles get to them, and personally feel that a 2nd trade down still would have netted them Duane Brown. But maybe the NFL teams thought of Brown as well as we did and were prepaired to take him with a later 1 or early 2.

Sometimes you just have to stay where you are and take your man rather than trade down and end up with a guy you didnt like as much.

Looking back I am proud of my early analysis post and stand by it. Alot of posters in this thread cant say the same thing. Overreact much? SWTbound?

Looking back after the 3 year rule I can safely say that I am happy with this pick as you can never have enough good linemen and Brown is a good one.

you know a couple months ago Chris Williams was projected as a 2nd rd. pick. Albert was'nt even being mentioned. Brown to people who have access to game film or followed Virginia Tech football know all about him. he is a ZBS LT prospect & Gibbs will coach him up. he has reach & hand size over Williams, is clean on & off the field. I'll trust Rick that he believes Gibbs recomendation. the Texans had to address this position, Matt Schaub has to be protected better & I hear he (Duane) has a nasty mean streak :bowser:

Guess I was wrong about being clean on & off the field :cool: seriously that had to be just a common mistake. Duane Brown has turned into a very serviceable starting caliber NFL LT. For a late first round pick that's good value & if Slaton can return to form that makes Rick Smith move even better.

Great pick. Starting caliber LT for one of the league's most potent offensive teams.... Great value and provides a solution at a key position for the foreseeable future barring injury.

Quietly competent, much like our whole offensive line. Good pick and good value. Probably will never be an all pro, but MIGHT make a probowl.

This makes me think back on and laugh at the epic John Harris meltdown about the pick.

It's actually a microcosm of John Harris in and of himself.

I think there were 6 LTs drafted before him . I'll bet he's doing better than most .

Jake Long, drafted #1 overall by the Dolphins. 3 times to the Pro Bowl. 1 time first team All Pro. Started every game since drafted.

Ryan Clady, drafted #12 overall by the Broncos. 1 Pro Bowl and 1 time first team All Pro. Started every game since drafted.

Chris Williams, drafted #14 overall by the Bears. Has had some problems. Last year started 13 games as their left guard. (I was hoping we'd get this guy; I didn't think Clady would fall to us.)

Gosder Cherilous, drafted #17 overall by the Lions. Plays RT. Has missed games every year.

Jeff Otah, drafted #19 by the Panthers. Plays RT. Has missed games every year and missed all of 2010.

Sam Baker, drafted #21 by the Falcons. Considered by some to be "the most NFL ready" but with a low ceiling. He's the Falcons starting LT.

Duane's turned out pretty good.

Not to bash him, because he's doing great, but I seem to remember Brown (as well as Cushing) having to sit out some games because of 'roid-type accusations. My point is that maybe Cushing will be fine once he gets settled this year.

Jake Long, drafted #1 overall by the Dolphins. 3 times to the Pro Bowl. 1 time first team All Pro. Started every game since drafted.

Ryan Clady, drafted #12 overall by the Broncos. 1 Pro Bowl and 1 time first team All Pro. Started every game since drafted.

Chris Williams, drafted #14 overall by the Bears. Has had some problems. Last year started 13 games as their left guard. (I was hoping we'd get this guy; I didn't think Clady would fall to us.)

Gosder Cherilous, drafted #17 overall by the Lions. Plays RT. Has missed games every year.

Jeff Otah, drafted #19 by the Panthers. Plays RT. Has missed games every year and missed all of 2010.

Sam Baker, drafted #21 by the Falcons. Considered by some to be "the most NFL ready" but with a low ceiling. He's the Falcons starting LT.

Duane's turned out pretty good.

Don't forget Brandon Alberts who has bounced from LT to guard and a couple other spots on the line. Love this pick.

He's turned into a solid enough player after a few seasons. He wasn't worth his pick when we drafted him, and that's why it's a bad pick. He was more of a developmental pick than anyone is saying. He's a solid player but it was a bad pick. You take those guys in the 3rd round or so. Patriots with Ryan Mallet, Texans with Seth Wand. Thankfully we had Alex Gibbs to teach Brown. Competent coaching helps, because Brown was no better of a prospect coming out than Seth Wand. When there is a name attached to what I've been saying for years, I hope it makes sense to some people. You don't draft Seth Wand in the first round.

He's turned into a solid enough player after a few seasons. He wasn't worth his pick when we drafted him, and that's why it's a bad pick. He was more of a developmental pick than anyone is saying. He's a solid player but it was a bad pick. You take those guys in the 3rd round or so. Patriots with Ryan Mallet, Texans with Seth Wand. Thankfully we had Alex Gibbs to teach Brown. Competent coaching helps, because Brown was no better of a prospect coming out than Seth Wand. When there is a name attached to what I've been saying for years, I hope it makes sense to some people. You don't draft Seth Wand in the first round.

What?

Sounds like you're trying to justify something you may have said about the pick because your post didn't make a lot of sense.

Can't really say any of that is true unless you had access to all 32 draft boards from 2008. The fact he developed into a good tackle by year two only makes this more wrong. It's okay to admit you were wrong about a pick.

Can't really say any of that is true unless you had access to all 32 draft boards from 2008. The fact he developed into a good tackle by year two only makes this more wrong. It's okay to admit you were wrong about a pick.

I've been wrong about plenty. He's not a "good" LT. He's good enough. He's someone the Texans should have no hesitation to draft over if a LT is available.

I've been wrong about plenty. He's not a "good" LT. He's good enough. He's someone the Texans should have no hesitation to draft over if a LT is available.

I disagree.

LT's play an important position and it doesn't make a lot if sense to get rid of a good young one and pray the rookie you bring in isn't s bust.

Maybe give him some good competition, but to just draft over a guy that has been as steady as brown and knows the system well and is a good run blocker would be foolish IMO.

Brown may not be dominant, but for the most part he's been a part of a line that has kept Matt from getting killed all while facing some of the leagues best pass rushers. Brown should be a staple on this line for a long time to come.

I'm sorry I couldn't hear you over the rushing title and passing title our respective position players have gotten the last two years.

LMAO..

I came in here to bump this thread and forgot it was already bumped earlier in the season....was even more shocked to see you were still bashing the pick clearly after it become apparent that Duane Brown was a HELLUVA good pick.

So are you finally able to admit that you were wrong about the caliber of player Brown is and how you completely over blew his "project status". Duane Brown was never even really a project player. He was a player that needed to get his stamina up to the NFL level and a player that had to grow into the league....just like every other player that gets drafted.

Didn't you say you were going to school to be a scout? ...I wonder how that's working out. :spin:

Anyways this thread is funny and they're are some ridiculous responses in it. I loved how the great Texan online jersey thief was ready to jump off a ledge right after the pick was made. I'm sure he's posting under another alias now and wonder how he feels about the pick now. Maybe he can order me one of Brown's jerseys??? It'll be C.O.D. for sure though. :)

Last edited:
Anyways this thread is funny and they're are some ridiculous responses in it. I loved how the great Texan online jersey thief was ready to jump off a ledge right after the pick was made. I'm sure he's posting under another alias now and wonder how he feels about the pick now. Maybe he can order me one of Brown's jerseys??? It'll be C.O.D. for sure though. :)

Man I hope not, good riddance to bad trash. What username do you think he is using?

... & I hear he (Duane) has a nasty mean streak :bowser:

You know.. you hear people saying, "I wouldn't want to mess with this guy, or that guy" all the time. A lot of times with athletes, it's just because they're athletes.

Last week, I think, after Jay Ratliff got into it with a reporter, Rob Ryan says, "I wouldn't want to mess with Rat."

Most of the time, I'm thinking, "screw him, he ain't that bad."

Like Ratliff.... I'd take my chances.

But Duane Brown.... in all honesty, I wouldn't want to be standing in front of him on a bad day.

Back