Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Duane Brown: First Round pick of the Texans

Boy.. you people...

I came in here expecting to see some cheering, instead I see this crap.

Guys.. Brown is a prototypical Alex Gibbs olineman. Gibbs picked him himself. He was a reach in that IF we had had a good second round pick we MAY have been able to grab him later.. but we didnt have a second round pick and we cannot say for sure whether anyone with a good second round pick was willing to trade it to us.

The fact that this guy was hand picked by our oline guru.. and that it was approved by Kubiak and Smith who have an awesome track record up to this point.. should be MORE than enough to make you, AT LEAST, supportive. You may not feel like jumping and screaming but you should at the very least feel like this could be a positive move for us if it works out.

Honestly..grow the f--- up. Support your team. Try to show a little bit of intelligence, instead of a whole lot of your ass.

I really wanted a tackle in the first round, can't say I ever expected this one though. Not too stoked he gave up 8.5 sacks last year, but I'll reserve judgment as always until I see what our coaches do with him and how he performs on the field.

8.5 sacks in two seasons not one season

I'm trusting the judgement of the Texans staff to mine at this point. If yall remember, we were all pretty pissed off at Mario Williams at one point.

We got a LT in the first round, and I am happy.

no one under-estimated anything. Duane Brown wasn't the best player on the board IMO. We could have drafted Cason, Tyrell Johnson or Kenny Phillips.

Let's just call this "Sticker shock" at this point. Who in their right mind had us taking Duane Brown in round one?! Completely out of left field.

It's a lot more comfy on the bandwagon now with all of you apparently jumping off.

Because all of you draft experts already know Phillips, Mendenhall, Cason, and whoever else you wanted already know that Duane Brown isn't going to be as good as them. You are all ready to put Rick Smith, Alex Gibbs, and Kubiak's head on a pike because you hate this pick. You guys are lame.

Welcome to the Texans Duane Brown!

I'm kind of confused, why did we trade down 8 spots and only get a 3rd and a 6th for this? shouldn't we have atleast gotten a decent second and traded first places?

No because, no one was getting that kind of value ahead of us. The Ravens only got two 3rds and a 4th to trade down to 26. No way were we getting a second.

this pick will haunt us. mark my words....we messed up bad. We traded back ignorantly, and for what??? really? im curious...espn hasn't covered the trade. What did we get for passing on mendenhall

Bull Dung....Gibbs, the HOF O-line coach picked his boy. He wasn't going to make it to 79. How many judas goat QBs do ya need there SWT ?

no one under-estimated anything. Duane Brown wasn't the best player on the board IMO. We could have drafted Cason, Tyrell Johnson or Kenny Phillips.

Let's just call this "Sticker shock" at this point. Who in their right mind had us taking Duane Brown in round one?! Completely out of left field.

Thats the kind of junk that happens when you have an Oline coach with a history of taking less known players and making them into pro bowlers.

Here's to a great career for Duane, welcome to the Texans. May he shore up the position which has been a thorn in our sides since day 1. :texflag:

I'm kind of confused, why did we trade down 8 spots and only get a 3rd and a 6th for this? shouldn't we have atleast gotten a decent second and traded first places?

No. A decent second would have been too much.

We should have gotten a 3rd and maybe a high 5th or a low 4th. The 6th was a little lower than I would have liked.

BUT...

I'm going with the pick. I believe in Smithiak.

wait, what?

they had 8 OT's going in the 1st? i missed that

im sick of fans thinking they know more than the coaches.. SWT and others haven't even seen the guy play and hes saying its a bad pick. thats retarded.

reggie had the hype.. we took mario
winston had the hype at #33.. we took demeco ryans

etc

hype means sh1t when it comes to the draft

i've been here since the beginning...and some people will cosign on anything. Im calling this like i see it..and i see huge mistakes. Epic, franchise killing mistakes.

Dude, the guy hasn't played one down for our team. And you're already calling him a mistake.

It's a lot more comfy on the bandwagon now with all of you apparently jumping off.

Because all of you draft experts already know Phillips, Mendenhall, Cason, and whoever else you wanted already know that Duane Brown isn't going to be as good as them. You are all ready to put Rick Smith, Alex Gibbs, and Kubiak's head on a pike because you hate this pick. You guys are lame.

I'm still on the wagon with you!

Welcome to the Houston Texans, Duane Brown! Maul your ass away for Matt Schaub.

From what Kubiak just discussed in the press conference, Brown was their guy from the start at LT. You can never second guess the front office when we as fans don't have all the information. Everything Smith and Kubiak said lead me to believe they have wanted Brown for some time and had very good arguments to support it. He is definately a very athletic lineman and should help the running / zone blocking scheme that Gibbs will impliment. I still would not rule out us trading up and turning one of our 3rd round picks into a 2nd rounder.

Thats the kind of junk that happens when you have an Oline coach with a history of taking less known players and making them into pro bowlers.

I certaintly hope so cause this guy barely registers 6'4". The second shortest guy who projects as a LT.

well said sir!

I'll trust in Kubiak and Smith until proven otherwise.

if he turns into a franchise LT, i'll eat my texans hat live on webcam.

I feel sorry for your stomach.

You are betting against Alex Gibbs.. who has had top tier offensive lines his entire career.. who hand picked this guy.

The fact that his strengths are his athleticism, and that he is a former TE... both very common traits shared by many of Alex Gibbs best olinemen.. should also be a big indicator to you.

but whatever..its your hat and your toilet. Id invest in a large bottle of pepto and some very fluffy toilet paper.

I've looked a little more into this guy and I'm coming around now.

According to this article, Kiper said he's the 5th best OT at best, 6th best OT at worst. He was the 8th guy taken, so by that logic, we got a bargain.

Brown certainly caught the attention of ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr.

"I'd be surprised if he's not gone by the end of the second round," Kiper said. "He's one of the faster left tackles in the draft, and he did 24 reps on the bench press at the combine."

Players bench press 225 pounds as many times as they can as part of their NFL combine workout.

"You can make the argument he's the fifth-best tackle in the draft, the sixth-best at worst," Kiper said.

i've been here since the beginning...and some people will cosign on anything. Im calling this like i see it..and i see huge mistakes. Epic, franchise killing mistakes.

Dude, maybe you need to go away for a while and chill out.

You've probably never seen this guy play. Do you know who he played against? Chris Long.
Alex Gibbs and Smithiak know what they're doing.

I sound like i didnt wanna draft a Lineman. Well i was all for it, if it was chris williams, otah, albert, not this guy no one has heard of, they didnt even have good film on him, it was shitty quality

So, because people are upset with the pick, they are no longer Texans fans?

Will you EVER be sastified with a Texans decision? just curious..

i've been happy with most. Was stoked about demeco and winston, was on the "anybody but reggie kick 2 years ago", was hyped about amobi...this just reeks of stupid to me. sorry.

Back