Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Duane Brown: First Round pick of the Texans

I had Brown as a early to mid 2nd. Is it a reach? A little bit. I like him as a player and was hoping to target him in the second.

That said, I see a trend going on and that is that the CBs are falling. The RB class also looks pretty solid. Now with 2 thirds I could see us taking a 2nd round graded CB, RB or both.

I think a lot of people are looking at this move as disappointing, but I think that he will change your minds.

If the guy can play, he can play. It doesn't matter where he was drafted. Are you guys seriously upset because so and so had him at number whatever in thier list, and we picked him higher??

We didn't just pass on Mendenhall (or whoever you're heartbroken over) and move down.We picked up a 3 and a 6 in the process. Look at the 3rd round players we've picked up in the last few years. There's value in round 3.

Guerilla.. if you only beat your wife once..that doesnt mean you are a good husband.

If a fan is too freaking stupid to trust a front office that has made countless good decisions.. and an oline coach that has a looooooooong history of the best Olines in the league.. and is ready to say that this draft is crap and we blew it and its an "ego trip" by Gibbs.. simply because we took a player that fits our scheme perfectly a LITTLE bit earlier than he was projected..

Yah..you arent a fan of this team. Or.. to put it better.. you may be a fan of this team, but the rest of the fans would prefer that you werent.

This pick will turn out fine. We were destined to pick either a CB or an OT, because those are our two areas of greatest need. I would have gone CB, but if Alex Gibbs now has the personnel he needs to take the Texan's OL to the next level, this will be a very good pick.

Unless I am mistaken, the people whining about this pick are 1) largely the same group who freaked out when the Texans drafted Mario Williams and 2) in favor of taking an offensive skill player in the first round almost every year. Some people never learn.

I sound like i didnt wanna draft a Lineman. Well i was all for it, if it was chris williams, otah, albert, not this guy no one has heard of, they didnt even have good film on him, it was shitty quality

you know a couple months ago Chris Williams was projected as a 2nd rd. pick. Albert was'nt even being mentioned. Brown to people who have access to game film or followed Virginia Tech football know all about him. he is a ZBS LT prospect & Gibbs will coach him up. he has reach & hand size over Williams, is clean on & off the field. I'll trust Rick that he believes Gibbs recomendation. the Texans had to address this position, Matt Schaub has to be protected better & I hear he (Duane) has a nasty mean streak :bowser:

lol at the bitching..

we took the highest rated OT.. just because the scouting sites underestimated the OT class as a whole, the whiners are crying

This is getting funny! I understand people are upset they didn't get what they want, hell I didn't get what I thought I wanted. But what the F do I know about drafting players besides being a hardcore fan.

We took Charles Spencer and Eric Winston much later than this. And Eric is a starter and Charles would have been w/o the injury.

We got Demeco in the second. Owen Daniels in the 3rd. Jacoby in the 3rd.

Where did we get Fred Bennet again, was it 5th or 6th?

JUST RELAX PEOPLE, let's give the FO the benefit of the doubt on this one, heh?

Just like you like the pick, people are allowed to dislike it. Like me.

Dislike it all you want.. but if you cant acknowledge that the FO knows more than you.. and that this guy is a prototypical Gibbs olineman.. then im gonna point out that you are an *****.

Kiper also said on the ESPN broadcast that this pick wasn't a reach to him because two players he ranked below Brown were picked ahead of him. Not that he's THE WORD, but he thought it was a solid pick. Plus he has the endorsement of the person with the most important opinion on the matter - Alex Gibbs.

I think it's fine. It's not exciting - I'm not jumping up and down like with Okoye last year, but it's fine.

Sounds like a prototypical Gibbs guy the more I look into it. I can live with this pick.

Let's face it. Most people around here are just pissed because he wasn't on our radar.

Sounds like a typical Alex Gibbs pick. Like it or not, this is what we signed up for when we hired him.

Dislike it all you want.. but if you cant acknowledge that the FO knows more than you.. and that this guy is a prototypical Gibbs olineman.. then im gonna point out that you are an *****.

Agreed. I don't know why people are on here acting as if they know more than the Texans' staff.

if he turns into a franchise LT, i'll eat my texans hat live on webcam.

Sure wish you had said that when you said this:

Two, and let me put this in bold so you can understand this:
David Carr Will Be Allowed to play out the remainder of his contract extension. PERIOD.
You can draw up lists, look at free agents, do whatever you want. Carr will be here until his extension runs out, and its very possible he could get a new contract after that.

even if we WERE looking to acquire a quarterback, it wouldn't be matt schaub. the price will be too high, and frankly he will be the most sought after qb on the market, and we cant pull that.

http://www.texanstalk.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=4

You know, you can dislike a pick without thinking you're smarter than the FO. I'm fine with the choice, but I don't expect everyone else to be, and being that this is a forum I think it's ok for them to express that.

Sure wish you had said that when you said this:

Two, and let me put this in bold so you can understand this:
David Carr Will Be Allowed to play out the remainder of his contract extension. PERIOD.
You can draw up lists, look at free agents, do whatever you want. Carr will be here until his extension runs out, and its very possible he could get a new contract after that.

even if we WERE looking to acquire a quarterback, it wouldn't be matt schaub. the price will be too high, and frankly he will be the most sought after qb on the market, and we cant pull that.

http://www.texanstalk.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=4

Ah, the epic ''everybody is wrong about everything'' thread. Classic.

The General weighs in in his Blog on Chron.com

Texans select left tackle Duane Brown

General manager Rick Smith took a huge chance trading down from 18 to 26 and still getting Virginia Tech left tackle Duane Brown.

The Texans brought in all the left tackles they liked for interviews. Assistant head coach Alex Gibbs fell in love with Chris Williams, Branden Albert and Brown, who is 6-4, 315 and the fastest left tackle in the draft. He ran a 5.00 40-yard dash at the scouting combine.

Brown was a tight end who was moved to right tackle because Virginia Tech had Brandon Frye, a fifth-round pick last season. When Frye left, Brown was moved to left tackle and played very well last season.

The Texans interviewed Virginia defensive end Chris Long, and he praised Brown's blocking ability. They talked to players and coaches who played against Brown as well as though who played with him.

"We think he has a tremendous upside," Smith said.

In the Denver zone scheme the Texans are using exclusively for the first time, the left tackle has to be extremely quick as well as intelligent and nasty. The quickness comes from getting off the ball and making his initial block, then getting onto the second level to make another block. It's a complicated scheme that demands the player think on the run.

Also, Gibbs demands that his linemen cut block. Some don't like to do it because they don't want it done to them. If the player doesn't cut, he can't play for Gibbs. Brown told them he has no problem with cut-blocking.

I see this kid as slight upgrade over Salaam at this point with his pass blocking (he will probably get much better) and much better at run blocking. He is a knock you on your butt player.

I haven't seen a 'Matt Millen' draft from our team in the last two years. I will wait to see what he does. If he is not starting at left tackle on day one, then we possibly made a mistake. I fully expect him to start and without a freak injury, be there for years.

Anyone have this guy's measureables? Arm length, hand size, 40 time..etc?

all I know after the elite guys he was the best, cleanest OLT ZBS propect on the board. Believe anything, believe this: he's going to earn every F)(8king nickle of the contract. Gibbs will work his a$$ off.

It caught me a little off guard, but I don't have a problem with it. We don't have a #2, so a little bit of a reach won't hurt us as long as it's a player we truly had high on our boards.

Let's just hope he's a quick learner so he can unseat Salaam.:cool:

What about that Frye guy? Didn't he come from VTech too? If so where did he play as opposed to Duane Brown? I'm starting to feel a little bit iffy on the idea.

I fully welcome Duane Brown. Don't misunderstand me.

I was listening to the guys on 1560 the Game for this selection. They were disgusted.

Could this be the first big goof from Rick Smith?

Any chance Alex Gibbs is senile?

We had to come out of the 1st with either a LT or a CB & we did that.

Obviously, it's no secret I wanted Cason....a whole lot.

But we came out of there with a LT for the future plus a bonus 3rd round pick.

Can't argue with that. Go Smithiak.

It caught me a little off guard, but I don't have a problem with it. We don't have a #2, so a little bit of a reach won't hurt us as long as it's a player we truly had high on our boards.

Let's just hope he's a quick learner so he can unseat Salaam.:cool:
one of his knocks is that he isn't one of the sharpest knives in the drawer

I'm better now with this pick but I really hate the fact that he's undersized. This is Gibb's boy, so hopefully he's the missing link to a dominant o-line.

It's just weird that our QB is taller than our future starting LT. Dammit.

I don't know. The Texans needed a pick that would really ignite the fanbase. Duane Brown is not it. We will see how this all turns out. I am hoping for the best. Would have liked Mike Jenkins in the back. He was not a reach at 18. The dropoff in CB's is pretty big, too (especially when you don't even have a second).

I don't know. The Texans needed a pick that would really ignite the fanbase. Duane Brown is not it. We will see how this all turns out. I am hoping for the best. Would have liked Mike Jenkins in the back. He was not a reach at 18. The dropoff in CB's is pretty big, too (especially when you don't even have a second).

True that, Godfrey won't last into the 3rd. I know the Texan's targeted him.

one of his knocks is that he isn't the sharpest knives in the drawer

This was proven in the Orange Bowl. Brown had a rough game. He struggled with recognizing his assignment against a complex zone blitz scheme. The Kansas pass-rush won that game, and Brown was on the wrong end of that.

I don't think he was value at all, but there were some offensive linemen that went before him that I have him rated higher than. He is a project. I do not think he has the ability to learn our offense quick enough to start, and he will have to improve his pass protection a lot. He is undersized, which isn't a huge knock, just a potential concern with arm length and hand size. I think it was a wasted pick in terms of spot as I think he is a second round talent, but I trust our front office with their targeting of Brown. I think he will be an above average NFL LT.

I dont think we did a good enough job preparing folks for the difference in Alex Gibbs olinemen.

Seems alot of people dont understand that Gibbs does not want, or need, prototypical olinemen.

I wasnt shocked in the least to see us pick a tackle that is undersized and raw, but very athletic and quick on his feet.

What I find amusing is that not too long ago people would have been overjoyed to see us drafting ANY olinemen in the first couple of rounds.

Living in the Virginia area I have had the opportunity to see this kid in action for the last couple of years. He has been a starter for 3 years. He has had some injuries but has played thru them and never given up. This may not be the best pick but it sure isn't the worst Houston has made.

The Texans can't do anything else at this point to ignite the fanbase except to WIN. No player is going to sell tickets at this point, IMO. If the Texans were a bad team subjected to TV blackouts...it would be a different story. This isn't the Texans of 2 years ago. It's an 8-8 team looking to take the next step by methodically upgrading its talent at each position.

I'm not going to lie and act like this is the best pick out there BUT the one thing that differentiates Kubes and Smith vs the past regime is their drafting and picking up diamonds in FA to fit needs. I feel like there is some goodwill there to trust this pick and figure they can use the 3rd for a RB that will still be there and that fits the system.

Overall I'm a proponent of BPA when the draft falls right. I think sticking at 18and taking Mendenhall or Jenkins then instead of getting cute was the best move. But again I defer to the pros and realize this guy might be perfect for the system.

Well i was all for it, if it was chris williams, otah, albert, not this guy no one has heard of

Had anyone really heard of Tom Brady when he was drafted? Who cares what position they're drafted at if they produce and make the team better? We can't say how he'll do until we see him play. I haven't heard of TONS of players that are drafted...does that mean they're not good? Knowing who a player is is merely relative to how much time you spend watching college football.

I don't know. The Texans needed a pick that would really ignite the fanbase. Duane Brown is not it.

I wouldn't worry...I think wins will ignite the fanbase. A flashy pick will only last so long if you aren't winning. Mendenhall might have been great, sure...but how is he going to be that "incredible" back if no holes are open for him to run through?

Originally Posted by keyser View Post
Brilliant. Duane Brown was ranked:

56th best overall player by Gosselin.
66th best by SI.com
85th best by ProFootballWeekly.com
165th best by Scout.com

Maybe he'll be great, but there's no way he's not a reach. Kiper thinks he's better than Baker and Cherilus, at least.

I'm officially depressed.

8th best OT by usatoday; 57th overall; projected to go in the 2-3 round.

seems like a reach to me.

I now hate jerry jones almost as much as I hate bud adams

I think I will trust Alex Gibbs,Kubes and Smith on this matter. I didn't know much about this guy but he looks very solid on the highlights they showed. I was disappointed not drafting Mendenhall but I got over it and welcome Brown to the Texans. Besides there is a reason Mendenhall dropped this far.

Give this regime a little credit before jumping off the edge. We have (2) 3rd rounders now in a pretty deep draft.

Another good thing out of this, we finally addressed our OL issue with a 1st rounder.

Originally Posted by keyser View Post
Brilliant. Duane Brown was ranked:

56th best overall player by Gosselin.
66th best by SI.com
85th best by ProFootballWeekly.com
165th best by Scout.com

Maybe he'll be great, but there's no way he's not a reach. Kiper thinks he's better than Baker and Cherilus, at least.

I'm officially depressed.

So he's a reach because media guys dont have him rated where guys who get paid to draft players picked him?

Back