Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Post Game: Trying to give us a Heart Attack!

I am grateful they won and I know a certain number of games like this goes into building a contender but I am just amazed at some of the things I see the offense doing. The running game isn’t broken, it’s mosly misused. Trying to bounce Pierce outside is a pointless endeavor and expecting our OL to push the DL around is wishful thinking against most teams. Pierce can’t seem to create or see openings. You start Singletary and let him do his thing on the outside and let Pierce on the field sparingly.

Probably an unpopular opinion but I’m trying to move Pierce for a pick when possible. I love this offense but Pierce doesn’t seem to be a good fit. I also don’t know about Slowik at this point. I think our offense has better weapons than anyone knew and this offensive turnaround is more about them and a good system being run “adequately“ than a genius OC getting everything he can out of ordinary players and a great rookie QB.
Slowik needs to prove himself to me. I will never be okay with Tank doing end arounds even if he is successful. Pierce has 1 play where he hits the opening for 22 then 13-14 plays for almost nothing. 15 for 41 @ 2.7 avg with one for 22. Sure, he is an NFL starter.

Whether it was Dell going out, or CJ's mounting bumps and bruises, something was definitely off with the offense in the second half. Thankfully the D put up an excellent performance against a team on a very hot streak. This was an impressive team win, demonstrating we're not just 'CJ and some guys'.

Plenty to clean up, and work to do to figure out how to handle Tank's absence, but we have the makings of an exciting and balanced team here. One more good draft and off-season and we can finally begin to dream.
Just me but I started dreaming a few games ago!

Every game the rest of the way is going to be a struggle because this offense cannot establish the run. Nothing but good to great pressure defense left on the schedule. They are not going to be concerned about the Texans rushing attack. I'm not saying the Texans can't win these games. But expect games like we've see the last 2 weeks as the rule.
One game at a time. The Texans have a pretty good pressure defense too. CJ and Co. got it done today. It was a nail biter, against a defense that's been on fire the last 5 weeks. CJ tore them up when he could, and the defense rose to the occasion. Rookies making plays all over the place on this team. It's young and learning. I expect a win over the Jets, tAcks, and Dolts. That leaves the Cleveland game.
For the record, in the 4th quarter, I flipped my Texans sunglasses upside down on my Texans ballcap, bought at the NFL HOF, while wearing my deep steel blue jersey. I expect juju respect for this victory. :fans:

Too bad the Colts won today. They have the tie breaker against us right now. It means the last game of this season could be the one that decides if we are in the playoffs. I truly hate the Colts. They are our nemesis. Our all time record against the Colts is 10-33-1.

I am grateful they won and I know a certain number of games like this goes into building a contender but I am just amazed at some of the things I see the offense doing. The running game isn’t broken, it’s mosly misused. Trying to bounce Pierce outside is a pointless endeavor and expecting our OL to push the DL around is wishful thinking against most teams. Pierce can’t seem to create or see openings. You start Singletary and let him do his thing on the outside and let Pierce on the field sparingly.

Probably an unpopular opinion but I’m trying to move Pierce for a pick when possible. I love this offense but Pierce doesn’t seem to be a good fit. I also don’t know about Slowik at this point. I think our offense has better weapons than anyone knew and this offensive turnaround is more about them and a good system being run “adequately“ than a genius OC getting everything he can out of ordinary players and a great rookie QB.

After this game, seeing impact Stingley made, Pierce gets 3rd season before moving on. Giving Keyon Greene one more year as well to give a full and fair evaluation. Tytus Howard has burned through his evaluation as a first round bust however. Give these guys time to develop, injuries are unavoidable but availability & production have to be measured.

Whether it was Dell going out, or CJ's mounting bumps and bruises, something was definitely off with the offense in the second half. Thankfully the D put up an excellent performance against a team on a very hot streak. This was an impressive team win, demonstrating we're not just 'CJ and some guys'.

Plenty to clean up, and work to do to figure out how to handle Tank's absence, but we have the makings of an exciting and balanced team here. One more good draft and off-season and we can finally begin to dream.

Bro I've been in 'don't pinch me' mode for weeks now..

It's a shame more people aren't on the band wagon already. I moved out of TX a few years back, what's the mood like in H-Town, you'd think everyone would be pumped? Stadium still fairly empty.

I can't speak for the rest of the city obviously, but it's pretty reasonable that the organization built up a pretty incredible amount of ill will over the years, for myriad reasons. And a bad reputation is an insidiously nasty thing to try and shake.

DeMeco and co. have had a steep hill to climb to rebuild the overall perception that this is a team worth truly investing in, but I'm with you, and I believe they'll have more and more of the fans back on their side as the strong performances continue and the W's mount.

CJ should not practice all out this week. He has unknown aches and pains. But, also he is dealing with a quad injury (bruise I think). Let him just throw and study so it heals up

Obviously we'll need to work on the blocking scheme and line play. May help to not be so easy to predict what we're running at times. Got to step outside of that box to make the defense second guess. Bob hopefully will learn this because too often everyone knew what was coming.

But the other thing is CJ and Metchie will need to work on their chemistry with Tank down. It's apparent that the two of them don't have that mesh right now so these practice reps will help with that. As the saying goes, next man up. Just hate seeing it happen with Tank being a Houston fave for those of us who also take on the difficulty of cheering the Houston Cougars too.

Watching the 49’ers game tonight and they’re just running at will over the left side. McCaffrey has had to do little more than blow thru the hole created. They can also take the ball over the right side, but when they need the tough yards….the run is going over the left side.

There are a lot of postives from this game. And plenty of negatives. Maybe those people that plan to go back and watch should look for something. Are the Texans tipping their run plays? We just saw the worst run defense in the NFL dominate. Did they find something? I don't know what the tip might be, but it looks like the Broncos found one.

Tipping their run plays? No way! Both of them?

I was at the game and they only showed one replay of the strip fumble for TD that was called forward progress. Did the ref make the right call?
Great question. I had no sound. Assumed we scored. Looked down at my phone and when I looked back up we had the ball on the 20ish. I’m guessing the whistle was blown and they punted.

After this game, seeing impact Stingley made, Pierce gets 3rd season before moving on. Giving Keyon Greene one more year as well to give a full and fair evaluation. Tytus Howard has burned through his evaluation as a first round bust however. Give these guys time to develop, injuries are unavoidable but availability & production have to be measured.
Agreed about Pierce. But this still wouldn't keep me from picking another RB in rds 1 OR 2.

Obviously we'll need to work on the blocking scheme and line play. May help to not be so easy to predict what we're running at times. Got to step outside of that box to make the defense second guess. Bob hopefully will learn this because too often everyone knew what was coming.

But the other thing is CJ and Metchie will need to work on their chemistry with Tank down. It's apparent that the two of them don't have that mesh right now so these practice reps will help with that. As the saying goes, next man up. Just hate seeing it happen with Tank being a Houston fave for those of us who also take on the difficulty of cheering the Houston Cougars too.
They used to say the same thing when Kubiak was running the WCO down on Kirby. Drafting a RB like Benson will help a lot.

I actually like Strausser.

With all of the injuries he's doing a great job.
I agree, guys are playing their butts off, playing injured, not making penalties (thought leg whip call on Dieter BS, he was being rolled over so his legs kicked up) less false starts, holding that sort of tricky tack calls. Last I checked the Broncos rated 8th best OL before meeting Texans, while Houston was respectfully graded #12. With their 4th string center. Then there was that scrum @ midfield to have CJ’s back, that was a highlight for me. No I think they are doing fine and better with Scruggs LG than Howard.

Slowik needs to prove himself to me. I will never be okay with Tank doing end arounds even if he is successful. Pierce has 1 play where he hits the opening for 22 then 13-14 plays for almost nothing. 15 for 41 @ 2.7 avg with one for 22. Sure, he is an NFL starter.
Agreed, Tank on the end around made me cringe everytime.

None on the audio

There’s not enough time on that play to blow a whistle, he hits him and strips the ball out!

I don't know what happened on that play. Apparently the refs ruled him down by contact. However, from my view, he was moving backwards from the hit and the ball came out. No whistle on the play that I heard. Which is a live play IMO and I believe the rule book. And then suddenly they are punting? I am sure Meco is going to file a complaint.

Back