Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Week 13: Texans vs Broncos Preview

I want to see Demeco Ryans out coach, or at least not get out coached by Sean Payton.

For Hannah.
I can't remember the timing of all the coaching interviews the Texans had. But we all know that once Ryans said he wanted to be the Texans head coach, the search was over. Where Payton's remarks about the Texans, through his media mouthpiece Colin Cowherd, fit in all of this, I'm not sure. But Ryans was the Texans 1st choice as HC. And Denver did make an attempt to hire Ryans after trade talks for Payton's rights had bogged down with the Saints, as reported by Ian Rapoport.

Soft tissue injuries have hit especially hard this year with a new staff
I look at things this way, when you sign Ward/Draft Stingley you should expect soft tissue injuries. They never play a full season and I still like the Ward signing knowing this beforehand. Scruggs/Tunsil's injuries bother me because the training staff tried to rush them back and they ended up missing much more time than they should have.

True, but the OL really isn't any worse off than it was last week. It's probably better, but they're getting really thin and cant afford more injuries. I hate that Caserio wasted 18 mil in cap space on Howard.
It'll be interesting to see what Fant gets on his new 2024 contract. The Texans likely will not be able to afford him, but he's going to get paid. Would you say whatever he gets, that should be the range that Howard should have gotten?

It'll be interesting to see what Fant gets on his new 2024 contract. The Texans likely will not be able to afford him, but he's going to get paid. Would you say whatever he gets, that should be the range that Howard should have gotten?
Agreed, I dont think Fant gets paid more than 7-8 mil per yr.

Soft tissue injuries have gone way beyond Ward/Stingley this year. The amount of time missed due to hamstring injuries has been astounding! And now even Dell has a calf injury
How many players have missed games and how many games because of soft tissue injuries?

I'm thinking

Ward- several
Petrie- 1
Scruggs- Most of the season
Nelson-1
Griffin-1
Collins-1
Hansen-1

There may be more, but I wonder how this compares to the rest of the NFL?

For kicks and giggles it appears Land Clark is the referee for this one. Most penalty yards in a game he’s officiated, Texans/Tampa. 2nd most penalty yards against a single team, Texans in the same game.

Turns out it will be Shawn Smith reffing this game, not Land Clark.

Smith hasn't reffed a Texans game this season.
He and his crew have the 2nd most flags thrown this season, 5th most penalties accepted, 6th most penalty yards, and 2nd most DPI.

Im having trouble picking this game. I feel like the Texans should win. It looks like most of the online "experts" are picking BronkHoes

Here we go. We might as well get ready for it.
Bend over and grab them ankles!
Im having trouble picking this game. I feel like the Texans should win. It looks like most of the online "experts" are picking BronkHoes
Everyone on GetUp (ESPN) picked the Texans except Orlovsky. He says the Howard injury is gonna hurt them. Uh no, I think Scruggs is better at guard than Howard. But we shall see. 🤞🏼

I must be looking at different sources than you as all are favoring Texas that I see.

Bend over and grab them ankles!

Everyone on GetUp (ESPN) picked the Texans except Orlovsky. He says the Howard injury is gonna hurt them. Uh no, I think Scruggs is better at guard than Howard. But we shall see. 🤞🏼
I agree but would have liked to have seen Titus Howard back at right tackle. Having said that, Howard's knee requiring surgery could have made Fant a better player than TH.
Here is to hoping that our starters are not only good but can play every snap as in my opinion we don't have much to back them up.

Denver has a pretty good offensive line on paper (Bolles-Meinerz-Cushenberry-Powers-McGlinchey). What does PFF think about them?

• Broncos crack the top 10: The Denver offensive line did not allow a single sack and gave up just seven pressures on 25 dropbacks against a strong Browns pass rush....

8. Denver Broncos (Up 3)
Projected Week 13 starters:

LT Garett Bolles
LG Ben Powers
C Lloyd Cushenberry III
RG Quinn Meinerz
RT Mike McGlinchey

• The Denver offensive line performed well against a strong Cleveland pass rush. The unit did not allow a single sack and gave up just seven pressures on 25 dropbacks against the Browns.
  • Quinn Meinerz is the NFL’s highest-graded guard since Week 8 (87.8).
Best player: Garett Bolles

• Bolles sports the highest pass-blocking grade (84.9) among all offensive tackles since Week 3.

I agree but would have liked to have seen Titus Howard back at right tackle. Having said that, Howard's knee requiring surgery could have made Fant a better player than TH.
Here is to hoping that our starters are not only good but can play every snap as in my opinion we don't have much to back them up.
I would've been OK with Howard not being on the team this yr if he was going to take up 18 million in cap space.

Sometimes I wonder why the rush for this year's Texans to get into the playoffs. This team wouldn't last very long in the playoffs. I know it would be great to see them at least make it, but there's no way our defense is going to stop a playoff caliber offense.
Because it’s a darn good start in the right direction. Plus it builds character and playoffs experience.

I would've been OK with Howard not being on the team this yr if he was going to take up 18 million in cap space.
Yep if we knew he was going to be forced to play out of position at left guard where he is terrible and if we knew he was going to be out with his knee and if we knew that Fant was going to be as good as he is.

Yep if we knew he was going to be forced to play out of position at left guard where he is terrible and if we knew he was going to be out with his knee and if we knew that Fant was going to be as good as he is.
We knew from the beginning he wasn't worth 18 mil, or at least I did

He was worse at LG this year than he was last year. What's up with that?

We knew from the beginning he wasn't worth 18 mil, or at least I did

He was worse at LG this year than he was last year. What's up with that?
[/ I remember your concern and while I agreed, I saw no way for the Texans not to overpay to get a player they had drafted and was familiar with their system. Also I think that his knee injury that should have had surgery earlier this season impacted his play and then Tunsil's knee issue has kept him from helping out his buddy.

Didn't Howard have a finger injury earlier this yr, not a knee injury.

All of the rest would be true except.

1. Caserio didn't draft Howard
2. Ryans/Slowik were bringing in a totally new offense.

Sometimes I wonder why the rush for this year's Texans to get into the playoffs. This team wouldn't last very long in the playoffs. I know it would be great to see them at least make it, but there's no way our defense is going to stop a playoff caliber offense.

Because when you have the opportunity do it.

This team is way better than any of the O'Brien "divisional champs" and we've been severely injured all year too and haven't even been able to see our full intended, expected team yet.

Because when you have the opportunity do it.

This team is way better than any of the O'Brien "divisional champs" and we've been severely injured all year too and haven't even been able to see our full intended, expected team yet.

I agree that we haven't seen the team as fully intended. I thought they would win 10 games, still do. Ryans and Caserio thought they could be better than that, that's why they were willing to trade their pick instead of the Browns pick and that frankly amazes me.

I still don't think this years team is better than some of the BOB teams though. Way to many holes.

Now that Ward is back I expect the secondary to look much better now that Ward is back

I agree that we haven't seen the team as fully intended. I thought they would win 10 games, still do. Ryans and Caserio thought they could be better than that, that's why they were willing to trade their pick instead of the Browns pick and that frankly amazes me.

Tells me, DeMeco is betting his team would be better than Brown team. Gotta love his conviction & confidence.

:logo:

Is it really a rush to accomplish a thing this year that is within the timeframe of this year?

Let me help you here.

In the Broncos last three games.

Minnesota- Illegal QB Hit to Dobbs(fumble Den recov), Own lineman knocks ball out of RB hands(Den Recovers), Dobbs just being a really bad QB. Minnesota defense drops an easy wide open pick, Den kicks field goal. Minny loses by 1 point.

Cleveland- Bad center exchange(Den recovers), Bad handoff via reverse(denver recovers), Bad handoff to rb (Den recovers)
At one point in the second half Dorian Thompson had a 2 point conversion to take the lead. Cooper dropped it wide open. Thompson taken out of game due to illegal hit. Denver separates after PJ Walker comes in.

Bills- Bad handoff to RB(fumble den recovers), Josh Allen pick, wide open receiver doesn't catch pass through hands and denver picks, receiver trying to gain extra yards, multiple tacklers and is stripped while forward momentum is stopped(ruled fumble). Den misses FG to win game, Bills had 12 men on field, rekick and win. Bills OC gets fired due to lack of creativity on offense.

Probably the flukiest 5 game streak you will ever see in the NFL. Opponents making multiple pop warner mistakes in each game to give Denver good field position.

Denver's offense is predicated on volume running. Not very explosive but will make 1 or 2 pop plays.

Just need Houston's defense to show up and them to not make little league mistakes and they should win convincingly. Denver has needed massive turnover advantage to stay in these games led by QB's who couldn't even be this team's backup right now.

Josh Allen was horrid pre OC change.

Not sure why you think they wouldn't. Its the playoffs and they have what appears to be an elite QB.

They could beat anyone if their defense gets hot down the stretch.

Maybe Pitre figures it out and Ward stays healthy.

Texans would have two very good cover corners and a great safety tandem.

Already have a great run defense.

We have never had the top tier clutch QB thing before so its a whole different ball game.

Didn't Howard have a finger injury earlier this yr, not a knee injury.

All of the rest would be true except.

1. Caserio didn't draft Howard
2. Ryans/Slowik were bringing in a totally new offense.
But Ryans was hired in January and Howard's extension was signed in late July. So Ryans and his coaches had 7 months to evaluate players.

Caserio should have advised not to make such a significant commitment until they had seen him for a season. But Howard was already on the 5th year of his rookie contract. I'm sure they all discussed his signing, but first option should maybe have been to franchise him.

Last edited:
But Ryans was hired in January and Howard's extension was signed in late July. So Ryans and his coaches had 7 months to evaluate players.

Caserio should have advised not to make such a significant commitment until they had seen him for a season. But Howard was already on the 5th year of his rookie contract. I'm sure they all discussed his signing, but first option should maybe have been to franchise him.
All True!
But there was a feeding frenzy for OT’s this offseason for several reasons. Shortage. Need to protect these suddenly 50 million plus franchise QB’s and 3rd. Dead giveaway Texans were going to select QB with 2nd overall pick.

There are worse things. Imagine Fant who will be a FA leaves for bigger contract and Howard fully recovers (along with Keyon Greene) play natural positions @ RT and LG. Scruggs is your starting Center with Mason RG and Laremy LT (plays his ass off for even more money).

All True!
But there was a feeding frenzy for OT’s this offseason for several reasons. Shortage. Need to protect these suddenly 50 million plus franchise QB’s and 3rd. Dead giveaway Texans were going to select QB with 2nd overall pick.

There are worse things. Imagine Fant who will be a FA leaves for bigger contract and Howard fully recovers (along with Keyon Greene) play natural positions @ RT and LG. Scruggs is your starting Center with Mason RG and Laremy LT (plays his ass off for even more money).

This lineup is pretty much what I was anticipating going into the season. The injuries have really done a number on our development and set us back a year. At least just about everyone now has some experience and game play with our new system and expectations. This should make for a good offseason and further development. I still have some concerns about what seems to be a complex blocking scheme for our ol and whether this lineup is a good match. I had hoped this season would have answered these concerns. Now we'll have to wait for next season.

Yes, but it wasn't a separate building
Inside Thorn's classroom.

cd43fe0c8f856aa4c017e30ea2ef39bb.jpg

Back