Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Week 7: Going into the Bye Week

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I know it's a little early, but... couple of things I wanted to talk about.

Going into our bye week, the Texans are 3-3 & have a top 10 offense in yards & points. Who'd have thunk it?
1697469340028.png

& the defense is top 10 in points per game, who'd have thunk it?

1697469475686.png

We should get a lot of our injured players back. Going to be pretty interesting to see how they will shuffle the offensive line around. Wil they move Howard back to RT and Scruggs to LG. Will Fant be the swing T?
On defense do we get Ridgeway back? We could get Thompson back in the secondary.

They still have a lot to work on but they’re building and improving.

We should get a lot of our injured players back. Going to be pretty interesting to see how they will shuffle the offensive line around. Wil they move Howard back to RT and Scruggs to LG. Will Fant be the swing T?
On defense do we get Ridgeway back? We could get Thompson back in the secondary.

I think I would rather have Juice at Center and move Patterson to LG and see how that line works. Tunsil, Patterson, Scruggs, Mason, Howard. Thats the line I would like to see and think would work best for both pass and run pro

Yall are crazy. Fant has been playing like an above average tackle for multiple games now.

Have to keep them there. Get Scruggs back to C and let Howard/Tunsil be run graters like they were against the Saints on the left side.

Without a doubt, the Texans are a better team than most folks (including myself) predicted.

I felt Houston could be a 9-win team. I thought some of the prognosticators that picked Houston to have one of the worst two records in the league were on acid. After all, DeMeco is a great coach and came from a great culture in Frisco, as did Slowik. They picked Stroud and Anderson and I felt Dell was a steal in the third round. I'm pleased with how it's going but not surprised.

Yall are crazy. Fant has been playing like an above average tackle for multiple games now.

Have to keep them there. Get Scruggs back to C and let Howard/Tunsil be run graters like they were against the Saints on the left side.
I'm with you these last couple weeks with Scruggs out. But now that you should have Scruggs back for Carolina I think they need to try and shift people back to their natural positions. Howard is serviceable at guard but I think the potential for this line is much higher with Howard back at RT and Scruggs playing at guard.

But right now I feel like this coaching staff has earned a bit of trust. They have eyes on these guys at practice whatever they decide to roll with I'll trust.

I think I would rather have Juice at Center and move Patterson to LG and see how that line works. Tunsil, Patterson, Scruggs, Mason, Howard. Thats the line I would like to see and think would work best for both pass and run pro

what if Tunsil isn't better by Panthers? I expect him to start but wouldn't be shocked if he leaves game early. Would Deculus look okay LT next to Howard? He looked better than I expected the game he started.

Without a doubt, the Texans are a better team than most folks (including myself) predicted. We got ourselves a real bona fide QB, not to mention a frigging great HC. Football times are looking up in H-Town.
CJ is performing above my expectations but I thought DR would whip this team into shape.
The best thing is that I see this team improving even more as the season progresses.

This seems so simple,

How posters fail to understand this is beyond my comprehension.

Tunsil playing hurt is hurting the team.
I mean to be honest it didn’t cross my mind that this was the angle y’all were going for because I just assumed you watched the games on Sundays. But as apparently you missed it we can go over it. In 2 games back Tunsil has given up 2 pressures. 1 of those turned into a sack in large part because the fullback missed his chip block.

It’s not the Tunsil we’ve come to expect but he’s still playing very well.

I mean to be honest it didn’t cross my mind that this was the angle y’all were going for because I just assumed you watched the games on Sundays. But as apparently you missed it we can go over it. In 2 games back Tunsil has given up 2 pressures. 1 of those turned into a sack in large part because the fullback missed his chip block.

In the run game though, he got whipped a lot. That’s why we were putting the FB or the TE over there to help him out.

In the run game though, he got whipped a lot. That’s why we were putting the FB or the TE over there to help him out.
Haven’t gone back and watched the run game but frankly that’s Tunsil for you. He’s always been an average to slightly below average run blocker and an excellent pass protector

Take your rose-colored glasses off and really watch the game. I've seen the game 3 times. Yesterday live, today full replay, and all-22.
Pass pro ain't the whole game.

I get this, but they didn't allow a sack before he came back from injury. Get him healthy after the bye week and let's see how the new OL can function. If Tunsil needs to sit out an extra week to get healthy then let him sit. My biggest issue is guys like BB who want to throw him out there regardless of health because of the money he makes and then complain because he's not playing up to his usual high standards.

Tunsil on one leg is better than any other option currently.
If Tunsil can protect Stroud better than anybody else and playing him wont hurt his chances of being able to finish out the season, then he needs to play. Otherwise he needs to sit and get healthy so that he can finish out the season.

Sitting him if he's not healthy after the bye is the way that I would go.

That's been with him getting help. When he's healthy, he's an island.

Im nervous about this one. Feels like a trap.

Hopefully we come out with a win and everyone is healthy after this one

I understand your concerns as I remember that Christian Harris was injured in practice. We have also seen non-contact injuries in the past so this particular time off could be full of dread.

No one is disagreeing with you however the player still may not be able to play based on the status of his knee.

If Tunsil can protect Stroud better than anybody else and playing him wont hurt his chances of being able to finish out the season, then he needs to play. Otherwise he needs to sit and get healthy so that he can finish out the season.

Sitting him if he's not healthy after the bye is the way that I would go.
I know our line is not quite top shelf, but it is nice to have options - this is why you want depth on your team, especially in the trenches.

That's been with him getting help. When he's healthy, he's an island.
He's really not getting help. I saw two plays where he got help. One was a chip from a TE/FB running a checkdown out of the backfield and the other ironically is the play he got beat on for a sack. Tunsil got beat but still may have had a chance to push the rusher upfield, then comes his "help" in the form of Beck whiffing the block and actually pushing Tunsil himself out of the play.

Anyways the point is he really was not getting help.

I get this, but they didn't allow a sack before he came back from injury. Get him healthy after the bye week and let's see how the new OL can function. If Tunsil needs to sit out an extra week to get healthy then let him sit. My biggest issue is guys like BB who want to throw him out there regardless of health because of the money he makes and then complain because he's not playing up to his usual high standards.
Wut?

Take your rose-colored glasses off and really watch the game. I've seen the game 3 times. Yesterday live, today full replay, and all-22.
Pass pro ain't the whole game.
Just had time to watch the all 22, very unsure of what you're talking about. He looked good.

Have you not been reading the concerns about Laramie Tunsil's knee especially those voiced by CloakNNNdagger?
No I haven't but I'm unsurprised. He always has concerns about injuries which is only natural don't get me wrong. But Tunsil is cleared and out there playing and I'm watching him run out in front of WR screens 15 yards downfield and not seeing any issues.

Tunsil, Scruggs, Patterson, Mason, Howard is the lineup I’d use.
Only problem, Scruggs hasn't taken any snaps at LG, even TC. So, depending when he's released from IR, you have a rookie at a position he's never taken a snap at.

Which takes us to the next question, did Patterson take any snaps at LG during TC?

Back