Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Week 7: Going into the Bye Week

In the run game though, he got whipped a lot. That’s why we were putting the FB or the TE over there to help him out.
Tunsil has never graded well as a run blocker. Against Atlanta his grade was 60.1. Against NO it was 64.6. Since being traded to Houston, his highest run blocking (season) grade has been 68.0.

edit: changed highest grade to season grade. I'm sure if I looked at games, there would be a few with higher grades.

Last edited:
I'm not saying it's impossible but seems unlikely given that he's played two weeks in a row, looks healthy on the field, and we're on a bye.
He's not playing badly, but he doesn't look like his normal self. IMHO

What about Stingley? Would be a good opportunity for him to learn with less pressure on him given that we have our starting CBs going ok, Nelson playing great, Griffin certainly holding down a starting role, Thomas/Arnold/Holman proving to be a decent rotation and with a good set of safeties behind, it’s set up for Stingley to ease back into the rotation if he can get healthy without so much pressure.

I am happy where we're at with a bye. Lots to be encouraged about. The heavy OL and DB injuries have prevented us from really gelling and getting the run game going and I think that's what's led to the feeling of impressive-but-also-not performances we've seen. It's encouraging but lots to work on of course. Should have won the Falcons game. Could have won the first two too, honestly. Those games were not so out of hand.

It takes time to figure out. Can't wait until we get consistent performance. Right now it feels a bit precarious but I am loving the drive this team is showing. DeMeco as a leader is a thoroughly palpable difference. It's amazing.

Great time for the bye week. Coming off a win and 500. Getting Juice back will be huge. Patterson maybe just gutting it out with nagging but not crippling injury issue, could use rest as well. More rest for Tunsil ankle couldn’t hurt either, well as Howard’s broken hand. Imagine a fully healthy, functional, starting OL?

Stroud took a hard shot and got rolled up by Saint DT. Swore he got up grimacing, but shook it off with no apparent ill affects. More time for Slowick to polish his running attack and rest of position coaches to work on correcting mistakes and details. Hoping for a nice little winning streak, don’t really know what that feels like, but sure anxious to find out.

:logo:

What about Stingley? Would be a good opportunity for him to learn with less pressure on him given that we have our starting CBs going ok, Nelson playing great, Griffin certainly holding down a starting role, Thomas/Arnold/Holman proving to be a decent rotation and with a good set of safeties behind, it’s set up for Stingley to ease back into the rotation if he can get healthy without so much pressure.
Mentally I've moved on from Stingley. I had forgotten all about him. I know the right thing to do would be to insert him into the rotation at CB. He shouldn't be punished for getting hurt. In the back of my mind, if I'm deciding who's on the 48-man roster, I'm carrying an extra CB for the eventuality of Stingley getting hurt again.

Mentally I've moved on from Stingley. I had forgotten all about him. I know the right thing to do would be to insert him into the rotation at CB. He shouldn't be punished for getting hurt. In the back of my mind, if I'm deciding who's on the 48-man roster, I'm carrying an extra CB for the eventuality of Stingley getting hurt again.

I've given up on Stingley as well. If we do get any use out of him, that would be great, but I'm not expecting anything. I'm expecting more of Green1 when he comes back than I am of Stingley.

Great time for the bye week. Coming off a win and 500. Getting Juice back will be huge. Patterson maybe just gutting it out with nagging but not crippling injury issue, could use rest as well. More rest for Tunsil ankle couldn’t hurt either, well as Howard’s broken hand. Imagine a fully healthy, functional, starting OL?

Stroud took a hard shot and got rolled up by Saint DT. Swore he got up grimacing, but shook it off with no apparent ill affects. More time for Slowick to polish his running attack and rest of position coaches to work on correcting mistakes and details. Hoping for a nice little winning streak, don’t really know what that feels like, but sure anxious to find out.

I remember as well. Stroud was dinged on that play.

Unfortunately, the Texans run game will not knock a hole into defenses until Ryans, Slowick, and Strausser have (5) OL on the field who have an internal desire to destroy those in front of them when run plays are called. Get this corrected and Pierce, Stingley, Boone, or any other reasonable RB who can lace up a pair of cleats could be productive……that’s been the history of the WCO system.

Unfortunately, the Texans run game will not knock a hole into defenses until Ryans, Slowick, and Strausser have (5) OL on the field who have an internal desire to destroy those in front of them when run plays are called. Get this corrected and Pierce, Stingley, Boone, or any other reasonable RB who can lace up a pair of cleats could be productive……that’s been the history of the WCO system.
Give them some time to play together and a RB that fits the scheme. HOf'er Gibbs had this down. As a run game coordinator he could get OL that could move on a rail (sideways) and could find a RB with the patience and vision to make the one cut in whatever gap the DL failed to cover. When you put that together with Schaub being awesome with the PA fakes you had a potent offense. RIP HOF'er Alex Gibbs.

The 49ers have been able to do the same kinds of things with late rd picks on the OL. The main thing you need to make this work is a great LT. Gibbs had HOF worthy Gary Zimmerman and Brown for most of his career. The rest were later rd guys.

Right now the issue with the OL is this.

LT- Tunsil playing at 80% health
LG - Howard playing out of position
C- Patterson with 6 career starts
RG- Mason has played 6 games with the team
RT - Fant is a solid journeyman RT

Most of all these guys have only played together 2 games, so they've exceeded my expectations. Rarely can you throw 5 guys out there that haven't played together and expect to have a top 15 OL or offense for that matter. Yet the Texans have a top 15 offense and that's a testament to the job Slowik/Strausser and Stroud have done.

We should get a lot of our injured players back. Going to be pretty interesting to see how they will shuffle the offensive line around. Wil they move Howard back to RT and Scruggs to LG. Will Fant be the swing T?
On defense do we get Ridgeway back? We could get Thompson back in the secondary.

They still have a lot to work on but they’re building and improving.
This is what they should do on the OL.

I felt Houston could be a 9-win team. I thought some of the prognosticators that picked Houston to have one of the worst two records in the league were on acid. After all, DeMeco is a great coach and came from a great culture in Frisco, as did Slowik. They picked Stroud and Anderson and I felt Dell was a steal in the third round. I'm pleased with how it's going but not surprised.
I said they would win 10 games if Stroud was slightly above avg. So far so good. How many games do you think they will win after seeing them for the first 6 games? I had them at 3-3 at this point although they got here differently than I thought they would. I had them,

Ravens- L
Colts- W
Jags- W
Steelers- L
Falcons- W
Saints- L

Patterson has an injury?

Reactions: JB
But it’s a collective effort. Pierce has potential, no denying, but he has to feel running lanes better and continually develop, absolutely love his heart ❤

I thought Scruggs took snaps at LG when Q was the starting center.
Training camp started Wed July 26 and Q got injured the following week on Thurs Aug 3.

Reviewing observations from TC, I find comment that Deiter was taking snaps at LG on the 27th and 28th, when Green1 was not in there. Multiple comments on Scruggs at Center but none with him at LG.

Last edited:
Did you watch preseason? Can’t remember which one, but it was scary. Luckily nothing serious. There is also his USC injury history. Think why he slipped far as he did in the draft? One thing I’m not questioning is his toughness. Great draft pick 👍

He doesn't look injured right now to me. I've been pleasantly surprised with how well he's played considering that this was a yr he was supposed to be the 7th OL and learning the ways of the NFL. Of course as Texans fans the bar at the center position has been set at suckage low. Martin/Britt/Q.

BTW, Patterson went to Notre Dame. Gotta keep from offending those Golden Domer's. LOL

Last edited:
I said they would win 10 games if Stroud was slightly above avg. So far so good. How many games do you think they will win after seeing them for the first 6 games? I had them at 3-3 at this point although they got here differently than I thought they would. I had them,

Ravens- L
Colts- W
Jags- W
Steelers- L
Falcons- W
Saints- L

I think 9 or 10 is very doable.

This was my perception of your posts when it comes to Tunsil.

If I'm wrong then I apologize.
No need for apology as we are discussing but I can't remember any post I've made indicating Tunsil should play if hurt. Here are my related posts in this thread but I want to review the offensive line thread also to correct if I misspoke.

what if Tunsil isn't better by Panthers? I expect him to start but wouldn't be shocked if he leaves game early. Would Deculus look okay LT next to Howard? He looked better than I expected the game he started.
Have you not been reading the concerns about Laramie Tunsil's knee especially those voiced by CloakNNNdagger?
No one is disagreeing with you however the player still may not be able to play based on the status of his knee.
Uh.. not best option if you are Tunsil.

edit: review of offensive line thread=no such posts.

Last edited:
I think if Deshaun was our QB that we would not like Patterson as much right now. CJ is getting the ball out fast and we are seeing the same effect as we used to see with Brady/Manning who made their lines look better than what they really were.
Ok gotcha. Patterson would be the odd man out.

Last edited:
I think if Deshaun was our QB that we would not like Patterson as much right now. CJ is getting the ball out fast and we are seeing the same effect as we used to see with Brady/Manning who made their lines look better than what they really were.

While I wouldn't compare CJ to Brady or Manning just yet. I do agree with you that he is getting the ball out better than most. Which is making the OL perhaps look better than it is. You can see it when we run that the holes we want aren't often there. However, they have started opening up some good lanes as you can tell from our rushing yards last game. I still think we should be thinking high draft spot OL. Worst case scenario is we have 2 very capable players coming in to next year's training camp. And I do think that is a bad thing

I'll take it and I think after the bye week we might be playing even better. With both sides of the ball getting rest, healthy and studying things as to not repeat bad plays often or even better...none at all. But, I know that is a reach. So, I'll settle for few per game. If we have had 5 bad/dumb plays a game after the bye let's hope we only have 1 or 2...it's doable

I think you're judging Patterson by his draft status rather than his play. He's played well for a rookie that was drafted in any rd, much less the 6th rd. Particularly since he missed a bunch of TC with injury and was thrown into the starting lineup at the all important center position a week before the season started.

Be happy that there's both talent and depth on the OL for the 1st time that I can remember in a long time.

Pierce just seems to want to get beast mode highlights. Either that or he just doesn't have the vision to hit open holes that anyone else could hit. Regardless, he either needs to learn or Caserio needs to churn some rosters and find the next Arian Foster.

I have been saying something isn't right about him this year. Was it cutting weight, an injury we don't know about or was last year a 1 hit thing?

Pierce just seems to want to get beast mode highlights. Either that or he just doesn't have the vision to hit open holes that anyone else could hit. Regardless, he either needs to learn or Caserio needs to churn some rosters and find the next Arian Foster.
It's like getting that angry run of the year scepter has influenced him overmuch and he wants more appearances on GMFB

Just taken a look back through the injury thread and CnD said on 4th October that Stingley should be out for 8 weeks from there, but that they may try and rush him back (inadvisable) in 6.

Expect to see Stingley back against the Cardinals on 19th November, if not the week before against the Bengals on 12th November. Significant risk of reinjury either way.

Just taken a look back through the injury thread and CnD said on 4th October that Stingley should be out for 8 weeks from there, but that they may try and rush him back (inadvisable) in 6.

Expect to see Stingley back against the Cardinals on 19th November, if not the week before against the Bengals on 12th November. Significant risk of reinjury either way.

Geez...kid was starting to make me feel comfortable about last year being no big deal and he gets hurt again.

Texans snag another DL player in Myjai Sanders. He seems like a switch to LB is in the cards at this point. At only 220lbs, I don't know if he can get a good push on the OL.

Scouting report:
3rd pick by Arizona in 2022
Height and Weight: 6' 5" 220lbs
40: 4.67

Stats from his single season in Arizona.

Screenshot_20231019-094345_Chrome.jpg

Texans snag another DL player in Myjai Sanders. He seems like a switch to LB is in the cards at this point. At only 220lbs, I don't know if he can get a good push on the OL.

Scouting report:
3rd pick by Arizona in 2022
Height and Weight: 6' 5" 220lbs
40: 4.67

Stats from his single season in Arizona.

View attachment 12856

Geez...kid was starting to make me feel comfortable about last year being no big deal and he gets hurt again.
Hopefully Stingley can be healthy by week 10 and remain healthy throughout the rest of the season. As of now it appears that Stingley can only stay healthy for 10-12 games a season. I would like for most of those games to be playoff games.

Last edited:
Can anyone help me understand how we got Blake Cashman? How was he not on some huge contract extension?

Can anyone help me understand how we got Blake Cashman? How was he not on some huge contract extension?

If you read the article I posted, Cashman was not looking like even a decent backup when he first got to the NFL. PFF graded him in the 40's and at one point in a season he was like 20. When he got to Houston he improved his first year with about a 50 or 60 PFF score, keep in mind, 90 is pro bowl level. I think at this point so far he is grading out at a 74. Which is not JJ Watt level, but it sure is not just some random guy. It's a good and dependable player and judging by how he has looked I think by years end he very well could be a Pro Bowl grade player.

Here is a link for PFF. You can change the year with the drop down menu about 1/4th to 1/2 down the page to the left.

Screenshot_20231020-085343_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231020-085354_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Back