Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Game Day: Texans vs Jets

lol, an amazing game would be him getting an int…He’s overrated…been overrated….& sorry I don’t give supposedly the cb in the game props for locking up a hobbled journeyman WR 4th down on the depth chart anymore than you would give a guy like Mills props for having a decent game against a bad team.

and you have low standards if you call his game “amazing”..to each their own tho.
That journeyman WR 4th down on the depth chart had some big games for us! Sauce is overrated but not highly overrated in my opinion. He locked up better receivers than any we have. I will give Sauce credit where it is due!

I don’t want to see the Texans in the playoffs. Not this year. That would be counterproductive at this point. Weapons all injured, holes all up and down the roster. What we really need now are draft picks and plenty of them. One meaningless post season beat down accomplishes nothing. This team is at least a year from any sort of serious run.
I still would love to see Stroud get some playoff experience this year to prep him for next yr. BTW, I still see them winning 10 games

Patrick Queen is a free agent
I'm not opposed to signing a top tier FA LB.

I know Queen was a disappointment his rookie season and I haven't really kept up with him since then. Has he really improved. If he has I could certainly get on board with signing Queen and Hunter in FA. Bringing back Rankins and drafting Sweat.

WA/Sweat/Rankins/Hunter, with Collins and Davis in reserve

Queen/Cashman/Harris

This is a pretty strong front 7. BTW, I really liked Queen coming out of LSU.

The AFC South is far from over:

DIVISION
JAX. 8-5 (BAL / @ TB / CAR / @ TEN (10-7)
IND. 7-6 (PIT / @ ATL / LV / HOU (9-8)
HOU 7-6 (@ TEN / CLE / TEN / @ IND (9-8)

WILD CARD
CLE. 8-5 (CHI / @ HOU / NYJ / @ CIN (10-7)
PIT. 7-6 (@ IND / CIN / @ SEA / @ BAL (7-10)
CIN. 7-6 (MIN / @ PIT / @ KC / CLE (9-8)
BUF. 7-6 (DAL / @LAC / NE / @ MIA (9-8)
DEN. 7-6 (@ DET / NE / LAC / @ LV (9-8)

**Texans would still finish on the outside of the playoffs.**

One adjustment....after the games were completed on Sunday and the dust settled, the Texans are currently the #8 seed. They could easily play themselves into being a Division winner or the WC slot if they can finish strong over the final 4 games.

One adjustment....after the games were completed on Sunday and the dust settled, the Texans are currently the #8 seed. They could easily play themselves into being a Division winner or the WC slot if they can finish strong over the final 4 games.

While all of that is true, they’re running out of players. CJ probably doesn’t play next week and we’ll see what happens with Nico. Without him even if CJ did play, the WR group is not very good. Maybe Brown if he can start catching balls again, but Metchie isn’t it, Woods probably ought to be getting his retirement affairs in order, and that’s all you’ve got.

Can’t count on the run game, or the OL, and Levis is probably the next scrub QB they make look like an All Pro. So finishing strong ain’t gonna be easy.

The Jets offense adjusted in the second half and took what the Texans were giving them. It looked like the Texans didn't adjust at all. I don't know if this is on CJ or coaches, but why do they continue to force the ball 10+ yards on short downs? It was hard to tell with the camera angles during the game, but did they never have anyone open to check down?

...I don't know if this is on CJ or coaches, but why do they continue to force the ball 10+ yards on short downs? It was hard to tell with the camera angles during the game, but did they never have anyone open to check down?
I've been thinking that this is a flaw in Stroud's game that needs correcting. I believe I remember a comment he said early in the season that he likes to be aggressive in throwing the ball deep. The OL is giving him plenty of time (mostly) but he's holding onto the ball too long to give time for the deep routes to develope. Stroud/Slowik need to dial up more of the shorter, quick hitting passes.

I don't know if this is on CJ or coaches, but why do they continue to force the ball 10+ yards on short downs?
That's on Cj... not necessarily a bad thing if that's what the defense is giving him. He knows his play, he sees what the defense is doing, then he decides how his progression should go.

When the receivers were sure handed, Nico, Dell, Schultz... he might as well have been handing them the ball regardless how deep they were. But now he's left with "maybe they'll catch it" receivers... regardless how deep they are.

I've been thinking that this is a flaw in Stroud's game that needs correcting. I believe I remember a comment he said early in the season that he likes to be aggressive in throwing the ball deep. The OL is giving him plenty of time (mostly) but he's holding onto the ball too long to give time for the deep routes to develope. Stroud/Slowik need to dial up more of the shorter, quick hitting passes.
Good point. If we look at the yards per catch (YPC) for the WRs and TEs. Tank Dell (15.5), Collins (16.7), Brown (20.9), Schultz (11.4), Woods (10.5), Jordan (13.3), and Metchie (11.1). Those averages are similar to the production of the 49ers WRs and TEs. The major difference is the 49ers uses McCaffrey for those shorter routes and his YPC is 8.4.

We know that every pass play has progressions. Slowik can easily call plays that require 3 step drops or plays where the progression starts short to medium to deep. Based on their YPC, someone should be getting those McCaffrey type routes, yards and catches. Looking at the Texans offense, I have the following questions.
  1. Is someone open and Stroud is holding the ball and missing them or is it a feature of the offense that the offense is based on mid to deep pass plays?
  2. If Slowik calls quicker, shorter passes, with Dell out, who can consistently win their matchups? We seem to have long striding WRs.
  3. Is Slowik game planning to get a RB isolated on a LB?
  4. Woods has eight games with 3 or fewer catches. It doesn't seem like he is getting any separation. Could his lack of production be a factor in having to hold the ball?

yes, he only had 10 carries, but did a ton more damage in the passing game with his 8 catches.
My point was that unlike the past few years, a RB wasn't allowed to rush for a huge game against the Texans. And Hall would've gone off big time against last years team. He did have a good day in the passing game and so did Wilson but not nearly what they would have done against the defense the Texans have fielded the past few years

My point was that unlike the past few years, a RB wasn't allowed to rush for a huge game against the Texans. And Hall would've gone off big time against last years team.

Can't argue against that.

Reactions: JB
Back