Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Game Day: Texans vs Titans

8-6 and tied for first place and you don't think this is a serious run?

No its not, this is a miracle run. There is a legit reason why the NFL didn't give us any prime time games, its because everyone, including the Texans, knew that this was a rebuild year and we didn't have the weapons or talent to truly hang with the big boys yet. Only reason we're not is no one could have predicted how good Shroud would be and especially not how good Dell would be and that QB/WR combo. Don't get me wrong I'm loving this season and think they will get into the playoffs and even have a chance of winning a game in the playoffs. But do I honestly think they can win the AFC and then the SB? No that I don't see this year.

Also not sure where you are getting the "tied for first place" idea. We are third in our division and 8th in the seeding right now. Granted it will be a photo finish between Us, the Drags and the Dolts and even one game can completely flip the table but right now we are on the outside looking in.

It seems Ryans plays with the least amount of risk depending on opponent which isn't a good trait to have. Just like yesterday, I think it was a bad decision to run the clock down to kicka 54 yd fg when you have downs and 2 tos. It worked out, but I don't think that's a good quality to have. If I were grading rookie coaches, I think Steinchen has shown to be a better coach.
I did not agree with that either. Had argument with one of people watching; why not at least run to get closer. Reply was so we could fumble? I get that point but would have been griping if field goal was missed.

No its not, this is a miracle run. There is a legit reason why the NFL didn't give us any prime time games, its because everyone, including the Texans, knew that this was a rebuild year and we didn't have the weapons or talent to truly hang with the big boys yet. Only reason we're not is no one could have predicted how good Shroud would be and especially not how good Dell would be and that QB/WR combo. Don't get me wrong I'm loving this season and think they will get into the playoffs and even have a chance of winning a game in the playoffs. But do I honestly think they can win the AFC and then the SB? No that I don't see this year.

Also not sure where you are getting the "tied for first place" idea. We are third in our division and 8th in the seeding right now. Granted it will be a photo finish between Us, the Drags and the Dolts and even one game can completely flip the table but right now we are on the outside looking in.
you and others keep talking about what ifs that do not apply until after game 17. Texans are tied for first place in their division. Seedings don't matter until after regular season. Miracle run? Okay, sure but I am serious about it & I bet if coaches and players were asked, they would consider it serious. 32 teams are serious about getting to playoffs unless they are seriously tanking. Unlike college we have no impact on our schedule.

touche

I just really thought it would have died by now. Only thing I care about Watson these days is where our pick we got from the Browns will be and laughing at that franchise killing contract the Brown's agreed to.
It takes longer for some (including me) to get past what DW, Easterby and O'Brien did to this team and this town's fans. Look at all the uproar over Titans wanting to be Oilers and our reactions. The Houston Oilers ended when double rod took the offer and moved to Tennessee. I almost broke into the Beverly Hillbillies song. Ellie May!

you and others keep talking about what ifs that do not apply until after game 17. Texans are tied for first place in their division. Seedings don't matter until after regular season. Miracle run? Okay, sure but I am serious about it & I bet if coaches and players were asked, they would consider it serious. 32 teams are serious about getting to playoffs unless they are seriously tanking. Unlike college we have no impact on our schedule.

Dude these "what ifs" absolutely matter before game 17. For example by us beating the Tits they are eliminated from any playoff chance no matter what else happens. They could win out and still be on the outside. Also again Texans are not tied for first place and repeating it doesn't make it true. Both of the other teams have better division records than us which means to overcome the Colts we have to win that game and to overcome the Jags we need help from other teams. I'm sure the players and coaches are serious about these games, as they should be serious about every game, but I promise you Caserio and the front office expected this to be a rebuild and evaluation year. Its the players and coaches job to look at each season and game on its own but its the GM and front office job to look at the next 5 years. I guarantee they already have a draft board, being adjusted every time we win, and looking at when our best window is for winning it all.

Dude these "what ifs" absolutely matter before game 17. For example by us beating the Tits they are eliminated from any playoff chance no matter what else happens. They could win out and still be on the outside. Also again Texans are not tied for first place and repeating it doesn't make it true. Both of the other teams have better division records than us which means to overcome the Colts we have to win that game and to overcome the Jags we need help from other teams. I'm sure the players and coaches are serious about these games, as they should be serious about every game, but I promise you Caserio and the front office expected this to be a rebuild and evaluation year. Its the players and coaches job to look at each season and game on its own but its the GM and front office job to look at the next 5 years. I guarantee they already have a draft board, being adjusted every time we win, and looking at when our best window is for winning it all.
I just do not agree with you.

This was a game of polar opposites.
For example, this was not the same Texans team that got their hats handed to them against the Jets and that was not the same Titans team that played last Monday.
One other thing - after being embarrassed in the first quarter to the tune of 13-0, Texans rallied and turned it around to keep Tits to 3 point the rest of the game while pouring on 19 of their own to win the game.
That shows some character right there!

The Texans are much more resilient this year. Penalties, fumbles or interceptions nothing fazes them. They just keep playing their game. It is really a credit to Ryans & his staff that they are able to keep the Texans on such an even keel.

I don't feel like the game is over if the Texans fall behind. It is strange to still have hope in the 4th quarter even when the Texans are losing. It has been a long time coming.

I did not agree with that either. Had argument with one of people watching; why not at least run to get closer. Reply was so we could fumble? I get that point but would have been griping if field goal was missed.
Or holding that takes you out of range. Just a risk assessment thing. Ka'imi missing a 54 yarder vs. a fumble, bad snap exchange, or penalty. I personally would have run another play because 54 ain't no gimme even with good kickers, but DeMeco said he felt good letting Ka'imi swing from there.

I dont believe this, before the season I thought if they stayed relatively healthy and got slightly above avg QB play they would win 10 games. The injury thing was much worse than anybody could've predicted and Stroud has been better than anyone could've predicted. There was talent on this team. The talking heads just didn't realize this and they added a bunch talent this off season in the draft/FA.

Offense

Tunsil/Green/Scrugs (Who was drafted) Mason (Who was traded for) Howard is a good OL.

Stroud is better than anybody thought he could be.

Schultz is an above avg TE

Collins just needed to stay healthy/ Woods was a good vet pickup and Dell/Metchie/Brown were left to fight it out for WR3 initially. Dell proved to have WR1 talent and that made the WR corps very dangerous.

Pierce was thought to be a really good RB and Singletary/Boone were brought in because Ryans/Slowik thought they would be a good match for the WCO. Too bad it didn't workout for Pierce. But the RB room was hypothetically strong.

Defense

Greenard has always been a good player when healthy. Plus he's gotten better coaching.

Collins- See Greenard

Rankins has always been a very good IDL, health has always been and issue.

Trading up for WA gave them a future star level pass rusher, which also helped out Greenard tremendously. Hughes is playing less snaps and is more effective.

LB's

Cashman has been a revelation and staying healthy has always been his thing. He's talented. The type of guy I described that I want Caserio to pickup with late rd pick. Talented but troubled and talented but injured guys.

Harris needs to learn how to cover better. He's got the talent and appears to be slowly learning his craft,

Perryman is a leader and a pro bowler 2 yrs ago, has had injury issues. Has trouble defending the pass but is a great stop gap guy.

Too Too is a quality backup but not a every down starter. IMHO

Stingley- One of the most talented CB's in the NFL. Health is his only question. Ryans probably is very glad this guy was on the roster when he took over.

Nelson- Top 15-20 CB, King is a solid CB3. Thomas has been a disappointment and frequently injured.

Petrie has unlimited potential but a lot of learning to do. Frankly he's been a disappointment this yr considering his talent level.

Ward- Solid versatile S that can play nickle. Doesn't make many mistakes and helps get the secondary lined up. Great leader/add to the roster, just needs to stay healthy.

Amos/Houston-Carson are solid backups.

So on offense They had 3 starters on the OL and drafted a starter plus added Mason in a trade and added depth pieces using late rd picks.

QB The built a brand new QB room with Stroud and Keenum

RB's Pierce and added Boone/Singletary in FA

WR's Collins/Metchie then drafted Dell/Hutch and signed Brown but there was talent in the room before Ryans got here.

Schultz was a big add to a weak existing TE room.

There was high end talent on the roster before Ryans got here and they really hit the DL and WR room hard in FA/draft. It's not like the team was berift of talent they just probably had 10-12 guys before ryans got here and they added another 7-8 guys in the draft and FA so the holes were filled. Biggest thing is they found their franchise QB.

Last edited:
I also was conflicted with the play calling but I will say this… I ultimately thought it was the right decision. We were “game managing” to win. If Stroud was behind center, I have no doubt we would have attempted to get closer. This was a game of field goals, not touchdowns.
It was as are many games. i wish DR would settle for more FG’s in the red zone than going for it on fourth down so often.

It was as are many games. i wish DR would settle for more FG’s in the red zone than going for it on fourth down so often.
Agreed. Especially early on. Take the points early in the game so that you're not chasing those points later in the game. Texans took the points on their 1st scoring drive Sunday and a lot of people wanted them to go for it. 1) making that 4th down wouldn't have guaranteed a TD, and 2) if you don't make it you end up with no points. Had the latter happened to the Texans on Sunday and everything remained equal, the Texans don't win that game.

People say that's not playing to win. I disagree. Chasing points at the end of games will lose you more than you realize. I've seen plenty of Chargers games where Staley was always going for it on 4th down instead of taking the points and they always seemed to pay for it in the end. Needing a TD instead of the FG to win or tie, or needing 2 scores instead of one, because they left points on the field early on. And now he's out of a job.

And yes, I fully understand that going for it and scoring a TD is better, IF it works. Getting a 1st down on a fake punt is better too. IF it works. I just think in the 1st and 2nd quarters there's just too much football left to be passing up points. I don't even like going for 2 early in the game. I've seen that come back to bite later on many times as well. You're down 14-6 early in the 2nd quarter and you score a TD to make it 14-12. You go for 2 to try and tie it there and don't get it. Late in the game you then find yourself down 24-15 now needing 2 scores instead of a TD and 2 pointer, all because you had to try and tie it in the 17th minute of the game. Of course just scoring 3 points the rest of the way is a whole other issue, but still. Just take the points.

Back