Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Week 11: Arizona @ Houston

Slowick has to up the offensive intensity coming out after the half. The Texans seem to have a desire to throw the offense in neutral, then have to play to protect or regain the lead. These games should be put away by the time they get the ball for the second time in the second half.
Nothing wrong with the play calling. Gotta stop turning the ball over.

For the most part… this was a good game by the Texans. I mean Stroud’s 3 INTs came along with 340 yards of passing to go along with 2 TDs… annnnnnnd he was -ready- to storm downfield had Arizona scored in the final seconds. Sure we have to protect the ball but we’re moving it. Yes there were some questionable play calls… but it wasn’t as bad as some of yall are making it to be. I don’t like slow developing run plays when we need to be going for the jugular for example.

For the most part… this was a good game by the Texans. I mean Stroud’s 3 INTs came along with 340 yards of passing to go along with 2 TDs… annnnnnnd he was -ready- to storm downfield had Arizona scored in the final seconds. Sure we have to protect the ball but we’re moving it. Yes there were some questionable play calls… but it wasn’t as bad as some of yall are making it to be. I don’t like slow developing run plays when we need to be going for the jugular for example.
I see many calling this an "ugly" win - but realistically, it was just unimpressive. Minor difference, but objectively, a win in the NFL still looks the same on the win/loss column.

I disagree. It wasn’t as exciting as the previous 2 games, but impressive (to me) that we came up with a big defensive stop and walked off the field with a W.

In the past, that hardly ever happened when we made so many mistakes in the red zone.

:fans:
Make no mistake, I am over the moon we won the game but some aspects of the effort left a little to be desired.
I'm just not a rainbows and pink unicorns guy.
I'm sure the coaching staff saw the good, the bad and the ugly and will continue to coach them up.

I see many calling this an "ugly" win - but realistically, it was just unimpressive. Minor difference, but objectively, a win in the NFL still looks the same on the win/loss column.
I don’t know. I was repeatedly impressed by several things.

The TD pass to Dell was a thing of beauty to watch. Sheer perfection. Same with the Schultz sliding TD and that 3rd and long where Collins came up with the catch. Defensive Sacks. Stops on 4th down. Etc etc.

There was plenty to be impressed by. I know what you meant though… I think. I do like the “ugly” win reference.

Make no mistake, I am over the moon we won the game but some aspects of the effort left a little to be desired.
I'm just not a rainbows and pink unicorns guy.
I'm sure the coaching staff saw the good, the bad and the ugly and will continue to coach them up.

Oh, I am the negative nellie during the games (I’m a gal) and my husband is always so much more upbeat than me. While I am muttering “we’re going to lose this game” ….. almost every game LOL. He is telling me we are going to pull it out.

But I am 64 and at age 19 would drive to Houston from A&M to drink beer with my Dad at the Astrodome during the Luv Ya Blue days and Earl Campbell. I still have my Columbia blue handkerchief from one of those games. Yes, the drinking age back then got lowered to the draft age.

So……. long suffering Oilers fan who couldn’t get past the Steelers……. to not-quite-as-long suffering Texans fan still rooting for my team.

I am over the moon also at how lucky we are (FINALLY!!!) to have a fearless QB like Stroud.

He reminds me of Brett Farve who had way more interceptions than Stroud but was fearless and kept on slinging it. That attitude will make up for the picks!

I don’t know. I was repeatedly impressed by several things.

The TD pass to Dell was a thing of beauty to watch. Sheer perfection. Same with the Schultz sliding TD and that 3rd and long where Collins came up with the catch. Defensive Sacks. Stops on 4th down. Etc etc.

There was plenty to be impressed by. I know what you meant though… I think. I do like the “ugly” win reference.

My 2 favorite plays from the game!!!

Schultz sliding on his back untouched for a TD (still makes me laugh) and Dell grabbing the TD pass that Stroud improvised and signaled for him to go long. Picture perfect!

Something else I noticed. It's illegal for even incidental contact to the face guard area of an offensive player. But a runner can punch or slam his hand (stiff arm) into the face of a defensive player, snapping his head back.

Both of these occurred Sunday.
Wasn't it called once or was that in a different game? One game Sunday had an offensive facemask penalty by the runner

Wasn't it called once or was that in a different game? One game Sunday had an offensive facemask penalty by the runner
The play I recall, it may have been Greenard, and a player who had a shield as a face guard. Greenard's hand incidently brushed across the face shield, not deliberately, and the flag was thrown. With the shield, there was no grabbing.

The other play I recall is the Cards big runner slamming his hand into the helmet/face of one of our DBs, a legal stiff arm. But the DBs neck was impacted far more violently than Greenards incidental contact.

I only watched the Texans so didn't see the offensive face mask.

They're well coached.
Regardless of why they are a tougher team to beat than their projected to be doesn't matter. We were far from the first team to win a hard fought tough game against them and while being well coached is a big part of it I doubt they are as devoid of talent and many think they are!

Regardless of why they are a tougher team to beat than their projected to be doesn't matter. We were far from the first team to win a hard fought tough game against them and while being well coached is a big part of it I doubt they are as devoid of talent and many think they are!
They aren't devoid of talent and have a chance to win most games. They've gotta decide if Murray's their guy and regardless improve the talent level on the IOL and throughout the defense. Their defense is where the Texans defense was last yr.

The good, the Texans won a game they could’ve easily have lost. As for Stroud, he’s not the first NFL QB in history to have a bad game yet walk away with a win.
It would seem that three interceptions would say he had a bad game but statistically, "outside of those interceptions", he really did not have a bad game. Of course had those interceptions come back to haunt us "stats be damned," we would for sure say he had a bad game. It really boils down to the overall outcome as to how many people view CJ's performance. We could say the defense bailed CJ out when most Qb's who turnover the football three times lose or we could say that the defense came up big but CJ also played well enough to overcome his mistakes. No matter how good a defense plays, when your Qb turns the football over three times and your team doesn't capitalize on opportunities, you usually lose. Many Qb's fall apart and lose focus when they throw one interception let alone three. CJ kept throwing the ball down field with no hesitation and was not phased by his mistakes. A lot of starting Qb's would have been pulled from a game in which they threw three interceptions!

Last edited:
It would seem that three interceptions would say he had a bad game but statistically outside of those interceptions he really did not have a bad game. Of course had those interceptions come back to haunt us "stats be damned," we would for sure say he had a bad game. It really boils down to the overall outcome as to how many view CJ's performance. We could say the defense bailed CJ out when most Qb's who turnover the football three times lose or we could say that the defense came up big but CJ also played well enough to overcome his mistakes. No matter how good a defense plays, when your Qb turns the football over three times and your team doesn't capitalize on opportunities, you usually lose. Many Qb's fall apart and lose focus when they throw one interception let alone three. CJ kept throwing the ball down field with no hesitation and was not phased by his mistakes. A lot of starting Qb's would have been pulled from a game in which they threw three interceptions!

Dont overlook in victory what you wouldn't overlook in defeat.

He will learn from his mistakes, but he had a bad game.

To me a bad game would have been if his completion percentage had cratered and he totally fell apart. By most standards you could say throwing three picks is a bad game but I cast a wider net than that. I say he was adequate but not bad in spite of his mistakes. I do give the defense credit for playing a big role in us winning but having seen Qb's fall apart when they make mistakes I say that CJ's mental toughness and focus beyond those mistakes is why I don't think he had a bad game. I give him a grade of C!

I hope he believes he had a bad game. I like what he said, "shooter's gonna shoot" But he knows he left points out there, gave some away.

If he is who we think he is, he knows he's got to play better.

Last edited:
I hope he believes he has a bad game. I like what he said, "shooter's gonna shoot" But he knows he left points out there, gave some away.

If he is who we think he is, he knows he's got to play better.
Of course he needs to play better and by the standards he has set for himself there is no doubt he had a bad game. His bad game however would be considered good compared to other Qb's. Other Qb's who throw three picks usually have terrible completion percentages. He still completed quite a few passes. You dang well better believe he needs to play better next week and I am sure he and everyone with any sense at all knows that but just from my perspective his bad game compared to other Qb's bad games leaves no room for comparison!

To me a bad game would have been if his completion percentage had cratered and he totally fell apart. By most standards you could say throwing three picks is a bad game but I cast a wider net than that. I say he was adequate but not bad in spite of his mistakes. I do give the defense credit for playing a big role in us winning but having seen Qb's fall apart when they make mistakes I say that CJ's mental toughness and focus beyond those mistakes is why I don't think he had a bad game. I give him a grade of C!
I would say your net is to wide.. 3 ints in a game is a bad game. What is encouraging to me is he screwed up against Cincy but was money with the game on the line. While he still has plenty of things to learn (Gannon fooled him a couple of times) you can't teach the ability he showed against the Bengals.

I would say your net is to wide.. 3 ints in a game is a bad game. What is encouraging to me is he screwed up against Cincy but was money with the game on the line. While he still has plenty of things to learn (Gannon fooled him a couple of times) you can't teach the ability he showed against the Bengals.
Fair enough. Well said.

Of course he needs to play better and by the standards he has set for himself there is no doubt he had a bad game. His bad game however would be considered good compared to other Qb's. Other Qb's who throw three picks usually have terrible completion percentages. He still completed quite a few passes. You dang well better believe he needs to play better next week and I am sure he and everyone with any sense at all knows that but just from my perspective his bad game compared to other Qb's bad games leaves no room for comparison!
Would you think the same if we were playing that ole' defense we used to play?

Would you think the same if we were playing that ole' defense we used to play?
Honestly, I base my current opinion on how other Qb's react to mistakes and all aspects of their games turn to s***. I like CJ's never ending confidence and moxie! Yes he threw 3 int's but he continued to complete plenty of passes and didn't misfire on a ton of them! By that standard he didn't have what I would call a bad game. However I get that for most people three int's is a bad game. I will just agree to disagree with the masses!

Last edited:
Honestly, I base my current opinion on how other Qb's react to mistakes and all aspects of their games turn to s***. I like CJ's never ending confidence and moxie! Yes he threw 3 int's but he continued to complete plenty of passes and didn't misfire on a ton of them! By that standard he didn't have what I would call a bad game. However I get that for most people three int's is a bad game. I will just agree to disagree with the masses!
Yeh, Stroud is a gunslinger. No one, including himself, wants to throw 3 ints, but it doesn't faze him and he just keeps slinging it. His style and moxie is exciting ball.

Back