Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Week 8 post game: Admit it, you knew it was going to turn out this way.

You can’t have Andrew Beck running routes. That’s fraudulent coaching. Stroud was off on some throws, definitely. You must not have Beck in that role.
Yeah, he's getting way too many snaps in passing situations. They're basically taking a explosive player off the field when Beck is out there. They already have a lack of explosive players, but now you're making it worse.

A huge part of losing this game was the delay of game penalty taking them out of FG range. I dont know if that's on Slowik or Stroud, but that cant happen particularly at that point in the game.
Good point Steel because that was very possibly the play, the penalty that cost us a victory today. Only 5 yards, but it placed them beyond what they apparently thought was the outer fringe of our kickers max range.
That's probably a mistake that should be shared by our rookie OC & rookie signal caller.
We knew going in that with all of these rookies,including the HC, OC, & QB 2023 would present some steep learning curves.

Last edited:
It don't seem right, to me, to blame a defense that allowed 15 points to a team that averages 18 points for losing a game. But they had a lead with less than a minute left in the game... last drive started at the 9 yard line... just don't seem right, but it's not like we're asking them to stop a juggernaut from moving 30 yards. You got a crap team there starting on the 9 yard line & they go 86 yards.

You'd think the defense could have done better in that situation.

Offensively. I don't know what is open & what isn't with Cj Stroud. When he's on, he's making throws I don't think are throws until after the fact. At the same time I'm seeing him throw into the middle of the field way to often regardless how many defenders are in there.

We're not stretching the field horizontally. I know it's easy to blame the play caller & it's not vogue to blame the rookie QB out of Ohio State... but, rookies tend to zone in on the middle of the field. More than rookie play callers anyway.

The number of batted balls was infuriating.

The fact that this team needs to be a pass first team was easily recognizable early on in game 1.
Stroud is the best player on offense and maybe on the entire team playing the most important position.
Give him the damn rock.
Yeah, trying to be something they're not. When the game was stale, they should've lined up in 11 personnel and go no huddle. Instead, they just tried to run the clock out.

It don't seem right, to me, to blame a defense that allowed 15 points to a team that averages 18 points for losing a game. But they had a lead with less than a minute left in the game... last drive started at the 9 yard line... just don't seem right, but it's not like we're asking them to stop a juggernaut from moving 30 yards. You got a crap team there starting on the 9 yard line & they go 86 yards.

You'd think the defense could have done better in that situation.

Offensively. I don't know what is open & what isn't with Cj Stroud. When he's on, he's making throws I don't think are throws until after the fact. At the same time I'm seeing him throw into the middle of the field way to often regardless how many defenders are in there.

We're not stretching the field horizontally. I know it's easy to blame the play caller & it's not vogue to blame the rookie QB out of Ohio State... but, rookies tend to zone in on the middle of the field. More than rookie play callers anyway.

The number of batted balls was infuriating.
As soon as he's breaking his hands, defense are putting their hands up. They have yet to throw a 50/50 ball to Nico especially on the 2pt conversion attempt.

Easier reads/throws to the middle? Before I thought it may have had something to do with his shoulder but he has launched it deep once or twice since my original thought. I think it was leebigeztex that mentioned before that defenses are crowding the middle...need to mix it up more.

What does the advanced stats say about Will Anderson Jr today?
I really like Anderson as he's got a lot of hustle and plays hard on every snap, doesn't seem to take many plays off, but we of course have so many pressing needs so I dunno did we really use those three picks ( 2 firsts and a 2nd rounder) as wisely as we could have ?

Defense played 45 min of really good football. The offense played 1 good drive. It seems that on the road they are playing to keep it close and win it late, but the soft defense can't stop anyone. DeMeco needs to learn to ratchet it up late and stop going soft in the 4th qtr

Easier reads/throws to the middle? Before I thought it may have had something to do with his shoulder but he has launched it deep once or twice since my original thought. I think it was leebigeztex that mentioned before that defenses are crowding the middle...need to mix it up more.
Yep. That was the key when Brady was in his prime. Difference was he was great and all his wrs were ex kick return/punt return guys. The routes where all option routes also. CJ is gifted thrower outside the numbers. The need to run more flag, outs, and deep posts. Atlanta was doing the same thing as Carolina was doing. Teams are basically playing man under 2 deep and keeping all their LBs inside the hashes. If they think it was hard using inside the hashes wait until thev play White and David

I really like Anderson as he's got a lot of hustle and plays hard on every snap, doesn't seem to take many plays off, but we of course have so many pressing needs so I dunno did we really use those three picks ( 2 firsts and a 2nd rounder) as wisely as we could have ?

I believe those draft picks were spent wisely .... however, the year before could have been on some very good linemen .... and there is no one on the field representing those picks .... when nothing seems to work well on offense, look to the foundation first .... and I was beginning to believe we had lucked into a decent center .... Gloom, Despair, and Agony on me !

With the starters back in our oline hasn’t improved much at all……I’m very surprised by that

They aren't that much better than the guys who were standing in for them. They really aren't. I think at some point great talent with mediocre desire to excel starts to look a lot like average talent that's highly motivated. Probably a lot of it has to do with who these starters are. Are they the kind of players this offense needs to be effective or are they big "road graders" who can't move the way we need them to. I think about Kubiak showing up back in 2006 and basically needing to replace almost all of the Texans OL because the ones that didn't suck outright also happened to be the wrong type of player for his system. Problem was he couldn't because you can't find a whole starting OL in a single off season so we're probably looking at something similar here. The words "work in progress" are going to get so old around here for a while. It is what it is.

Other lesser teams always seem to play over their heads for some reason against the Texans. It’s not like the Texans didn’t hustle entire game, it’s just that they still got out hustled and Carolina wanted/needed it more.

The whole world has been telling that team that they screwed up taking Young since the season started. Those guys were (predictably) highly motivated and the Texans aren't smart/mature enough yet to understand that there are no Vanderbilt's in the NFL. They should have seen that coming. Hopefully they will next time.

I was disappointed in how flat the Texans looked coming out of the bye. I hoped for better out of Ryans & staff.
Texans did their best impersonation of the Astros and playing down to the competition

Last edited:
I was disappointed in how flat the Texans looked coming out of the bye.
I didn't see flat.

Well, it was a different kind of flat. There were times when they looked the part. 5 sacks you know? I guess it was just the wrong times.

Secondary didn't look like they came to play.

Well, it was a different kind of flat. There were times when they looked the part. 5 sacks you know? I guess it was just the wrong times.
Maybe flat is the wrong word. Undisciplined might be closer. I haven't rewatched the game yet so it could be my emotions talking but It just seemed to me that we lost the game more by self inflicted wounds than we did by getting out played.

I was happy to see our pressure finally translating to sacks. Once again I will say that Johnston (punter) played a hell of a game.

I’m not saying Robert Woods is Jerry Rice or anything…but I do think CJ missed his security blanket. Woods has a knack for getting those easy 3rd down looks for CJ to convert. Just a smart vet that a youngster like CJ relies on in key moments. That was a factor yesterday imo. Not the biggest by far, but I haven’t seen any run about Woods not being there. Apparently, he is likely to miss the Tampa game, and perhaps the game after that too.

OTE="leebigeztx, post: 3377510, member: 9675"]
Yep. That was the key when Brady was in his prime. Difference was he was great and all his wrs were ex kick return/punt return guys. The routes where all option routes also. CJ is gifted thrower outside the numbers. The need to run more flag, outs, and deep posts. Atlanta was doing the same thing as Carolina was doing. Teams are basically playing man under 2 deep and keeping all their LBs inside the hashes. If they think it was hard using inside the hashes wait until thev play White and David
[/QUOTE]
This game in a sense was a deja vu experience of the ATL game when they ran the clock out on us and kicked the walk-off FG.

With the 1st batted down pass of CJ, I had a bad feeling. When it got to 2, I was praying that the running game would start working. I even told my wife that if they are going to be able to bat passes at the line either CJ needs to somehow start throwing upwards more in a hurry or we need to be running the ball and tire out the defense. If we can't, then they will have a decent chance to get a win.

IMO what cost us, great goal line stuff for our defense on the FG drive. Was our inability to get the Panthers off the feild on 3rd down. Young was average for the whole game. But, the run game pulled them out of 3rd and 5 type situations too often. We need a DT or 2 to really clog up any run lanes in situations like that. And with Stingley out, we needed better tackling from the DBs. Better yet, Young threw about 3 INT passes that the DB or LB just couldn't get. Had we picked of the pass when the WR had it bounce out of his hands late in the game, and we had 2 players right there, we could have just played run the ball and maybe got a FG or TD. Either way even if we didn't, we would have won the game. They would have had say 1min to even try to get yards. Instead we didn't get the pick and then penalty after penalty got them in FG range. And Perryman being off side 3 times, on 2 got called cost us the game.

Bottom line is our secondary played decent until the 3rd. And then, it showed we need to both get a DT to clog some running lanes and another CB or 2 that are better than what we have. That would likely have been a difference maker. I think the loss falls on the back end of the D near the end of the game. I only mention a DT because more pressure would have also caused Young to likely not scramble right and hit Thesin(SP) to prolong the drive. We got pressure but it was more from the middle of the line not the edges. A DT taking up the middle more would have allowed our DE's and LBs to flow to Young to in theory stop his rollout or sack him outside the pocket.

The Texans had a horrible game. It happens. Can they rebound next week? Slowik needs to let Stroud rip it. Stop forcing DP runs until we open the field up with passes. Defense falters late yet again. That is two games Stroud took the lead with little time left only to have the defense fail to get a stop. Games are tight in the NFL. Someone needs to make a play.

It’s been a whirlwind for CJ and Bryce being a friend, he may have let his guard down a bit or hit rookie wall? Whatever, he wasn’t sharp enough on a consistent basis, and Slowick is trending that he doesn’t adjust his game plan on fly, fast enough to keep momentum.

Thought defense played well but wore down end of game because offense couldn’t control the clock to keep them fresh. Offensive line needs to establish identity and control the edges at least that’s both on tackles and mis matches in extra pass pro from TE’s and FB.

Special teams are real solid. Johnston was awesome. NFL has taken the kickoff out of the game so punt return’s are a focus. Fairbarin never got his shot from 58 (after delay of game) but I’m ok with punting, defense just could stop them when needed. Tough loss but every game will be hard fought because there is so much parity. Tampa Bay should be more of the same. See who steps up, I’m sure Stroud will be great.
:logo:

The whole world has been telling that team that they screwed up taking Young since the season started. Those guys were (predictably) highly motivated and the Texans aren't smart/mature enough yet to understand that there are no Vanderbilt's in the NFL. They should have seen that coming. Hopefully they will next time.
This is why I didn't like the Howard extension.

A huge part of losing this game was the delay of game penalty taking them out of FG range. I dont know if that's on Slowik or Stroud, but that cant happen particularly at that point in the game.
That delay call was absolutely bogus. They dropped that flag way too soon! I watched the Chiefs game later and Mahomes did that more than once and never got called. It was a crap call.

Nico got 6 targets. He had 30 yards receiving. Slowik has to get him more involved.
Dell can't be running those jet sweeps. He's gonna get jacked up
Meco HAS to keep the defense aggressive. They had a great game up to the last drive!
Run game? Geez, that has got to get better.
And ST's sucked.

Defenses have made adjustments.

If defenses are going to play this way, there needs to be some designed rollouts and flood outside the numbers with a RB, TE, WR at different levels. Gotta make those LB's move and threaten the safeties.

It's sad that they are literally 2 plays away from being 5-2 even with all of these injuries.

That delay call was absolutely bogus. They dropped that flag way too soon! I watched the Chiefs game later and Mahomes did that more than once and never got called. It was a crap call.

Nico got 6 targets. He had 30 yards receiving. Slowik has to get him more involved.
Dell can't be running those jet sweeps. He's gonna get jacked up
Meco HAS to keep the defense aggressive. They had a great game up to the last drive!
Run game? Geez, that has got to get better.
And ST's sucked.
Can't cut it that close especially in that situation.

If they can manage to get a true WR1 then all of the other receivers will look better. They also need a RB that fits the scheme in the worst way. You know you've got issues when Singletary is your best RB.

The play calling wasn't the best, but this is more of a talent issue IMHO.

The Texans have some horses. Just not a full stable. But everyone knew that coming into the season. Their skill positions were ranked last in the league. They've proven they're not last. Not 1st, either. Which is why I have to laugh at those willing to toss draft picks away at the trade deadline.
I'm not for tossing draft picks aside unless they can trade for great players and get extensions with those guys.

It’s been a whirlwind for CJ and Bryce being a friend, he may have let his guard down a bit or hit rookie wall? Whatever, he wasn’t sharp enough on a consistent basis, and Slowick is trending that he doesn’t adjust his game plan on fly, fast enough to keep momentum.

Thought defense played well but wore down end of game because offense couldn’t control the clock to keep them fresh. Offensive line needs to establish identity and control the edges at least that’s both on tackles and mis matches in extra pass pro from TE’s and FB.

Special teams are real solid. Johnston was awesome. NFL has taken the kickoff out of the game so punt return’s are a focus. Fairbarin never got his shot from 58 (after delay of game) but I’m ok with punting, defense just could stop them when needed. Tough loss but every game will be hard fought because there is so much parity. Tampa Bay should be more of the same. See who steps up, I’m sure Stroud will be great.
:logo:
The Texans were winning the TOP up until that last drive.
No excuse for the D.

That drive was on the coaching decision.
They pulled the DBs back into Cover 3 or Cover 4, making it simple and easy for Young.

Those were some of the most stupid Defensive play calling I've ever seen.
They gave the game away to the Panthers.

Last edited:
The Texans were winning the TOP up until that last drive.
No excuse for the D.

That drive was on the coaching decision.
They pulled the DBs back into Cover 3 or Cover 4, makinc it simple and easy for Young.

Those were some of the most stupid Defensive play calling I've ever seen.
They gave the game away to the Panthers.
Well, Goodell was in the suite with the owner. They have to make their #1 pick look good. 😉

Back