Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Week 8 post game: Admit it, you knew it was going to turn out this way.

Having watched that deep pass incompletion to Collins in the 1st quarter a half dozen times, that should've been DPI. The CB tripped Collins as he was looking for the ball. The Texans get called for DPI every time a bad pass forces the WR to run into the CB.
What is it going to take to get the NFL into the 21st century with its refereeing? The zebras decide way too many games.
We saw that during the game and only thing we could decide was that the ball was not catchable.

Having watched that deep pass incompletion to Collins in the 1st quarter a half dozen times, that should've been DPI. The CB tripped Collins as he was looking for the ball. The Texans get called for DPI every time a bad pass forces the WR to run into the CB.
What is it going to take to get the NFL into the 21st century with its refereeing? The zebras decide way too many games.
I am not arguing this but what real life solutions are you suggesting. Obviously something needs to be done but no matter what you do you will always have the human factor. Of course watching something from every possible angle in slow motion you can see things that a man 20 feet away with one angle & one chance at full speed missed.

Discounting that the refs are intentionally making calls to effect the point spread etc. I see at least 2 practical suggestions.

1. Make NFL officials full time employees. That way they could train year round. Of course this would be more expensive.

2. Increase the number of officials at the games. That way they could get more coverage of the field. Again it would cost more.

Being a referee is a thankless job that has to be done. I find it funny to visit our opponent's forums & see them talking just as bad about the refs as we do.

I am not arguing this but what real life solutions are you suggesting. Obviously something needs to be done but no matter what you do you will always have the human factor. Of course watching something from every possible angle in slow motion you can see things that a man 20 feet away with one angle & one chance at full speed missed.

Discounting that the refs are intentionally making calls to effect the point spread etc. I see at least 2 practical suggestions.

1. Make NFL officials full time employees. That way they could train year round. Of course this would be more expensive.

2. Increase the number of officials at the games. That way they could get more coverage of the field. Again it would cost more.

Being a referee is a thankless job that has to be done. I find it funny to visit our opponent's forums & see them talking just as bad about the refs as we do.
I am not trying to eliminate the human element of the referees however there are remarkable poor decisions made every Sunday by the refs. Many of these can be eliminated.

Robert Woods isn’t featured as a number 1 tho & If Thomas can’t cover him he’s of no real use.

like I said upthread, Young and the Panthers hadn’t connected on a pass over 25 yards all season…until this past Sunday.
And Thielen didn't play as injured so your point doesn't make sense.

And Thielen didn't play as injured so your point doesn't make sense.

makes plenty of sense. With Thomas’ measureables and youth on his side he should’ve been able to handle a guy like Thielen who is no where close to being a #1 anymore regardless of how he is featured as 1 in Carolina. At a minimum it should’ve been a push. Instead he was beaten like a drum in the most critical spots.

There’s a reason Thielen kept ending up on Thomas and LB’s….it’s because they liked their matchups in there. I can see why with the LB’s.. Thomas was supposed to be advantage us tho..& it was anything but.

Bottom line is Thomas is trash.

makes plenty of sense. With Thomas’ measureables and youth on his side he should’ve been able to handle a guy like Thielen who is no where close to being a #1 anymore regardless of how he is featured as 1 in Carolina. At a minimum it should’ve been a push. Instead he was beaten like a drum in the most critical spots.

There’s a reason Thielen kept ending up on Thomas and LB’s….it’s because they liked their matchups in there. I can see why with the LB’s.. Thomas was supposed to be advantage us tho..& it was anything but.

Bottom line is Thomas is trash.
Or... Thielen is Carolina's leading receiver this season for a reason.

Yeah, & that reason is they don't have anything better. Still doesn't mean he's a #1 level WR.
Doesn't have to be a #1 level WR. He's been doing whatever he's doing to every team they've played. Does that make all those DBs trash?

Thomas isn't the best DB in the world. He's not a #1 or a #2 even on this team with it's injuries. He may very well be trash, complete trash... but because Theilen had a good day against him doesn't necessarily prove that.

Doesn't have to be a #1 level WR. He's been doing whatever he's doing to every team they've played. Does that make all those DBs trash?

Thomas isn't the best DB in the world. He's not a #1 or a #2 even on this team with it's injuries. He may very well be trash, complete trash... but because Theilen had a good day against him doesn't necessarily prove that.

yeah, so i'm recovering from Davis Mills syndrome here & it was a disease where i would watch a guy look like complete **** 1 half and then in garbage time watch him put up decent numbers when the game was out of reach..I would then come away look at the box scores & think "he wasn't that bad" when in reality, he was. This is one of those Davis Mills situations here. Stats for Thielen look great...but then when you factor in things like an 0-6 record, the fact that their offense had not even been able to connect on 1 single pass play of 30 yards prior to playing us & Thomas...................... & the fact that their qb hasn't thrown for more than 250 yds in any game this season...yeah, then you have to question when those Thielen stats were obtained...chances are...during garbage time...when the game is in hand & defenses are more or less preserving their health.

So don't be fooled. He ain't as good as his numbers might indicate..Thomas is just buns.

The NFL is Rigged.

The poor decisions are made for a reason. There is a reason why most NFL games are one score games.

I don't want to believe it, but I have nothing to refute it. There's too much money involved for me to trust any of them, and the NFL seems to keep itself in a place of unaccountable shadows and illusion mirrors.

About this last game, I expected better, and that was my mistake. I learned long ago to never expect anything from the Houston Texans. I'm still optimistic about DeMeco and CJ, but beyond that, I should expect nothing more than they'll be playing football on Sundays.

I don't want to believe it, but I have nothing to refute it. There's too much money involved for me to trust any of them, and the NFL seems to keep itself in a place of unaccountable shadows and illusion mirrors.

About this last game, I expected better, and that was my mistake. I learned long ago to never expect anything from the Houston Texans. I'm still optimistic about DeMeco and CJ, but beyond that, I should expect nothing more than they'll be playing football on Sundays.
Yep, expect nothing, enjoy time with the family and you won't be disappointed.

I'm just kinda off of the NFL in general. I don't like the rules changes, or where I think the league is headed. I'm not saying I won't watch it anymore, but it's not appointment TV viewing for me anymore.

Yep, expect nothing, enjoy time with the family and you won't be disappointed.

I'm just kinda off of the NFL in general. I don't like the rules changes, or where I think the league is headed. I'm not saying I won't watch it anymore, but it's not appointment TV viewing for me anymore.

lol….yeah you’re at about that “get off my lawn” old curmudgeon age…. Do u find yourself starting off every conversation with “back in my day…” or “it used to be…”

I find I’m doing it more these days…& I’m only 44 lol.

lol….yeah you’re at about that “get off my lawn” old curmudgeon age…. Do u find yourself starting off every conversation with “back in my day…” or “it used to be…”

I find I’m doing it more these days…& I’m only 44 lol.
LOL

I just dont like the NFL changing the game I grew up with. But I realize that I'm no longer the demographic they're marketing too.

I am only 34. I miss the highlights my dad and older half brother introduced me to. Earl Campbell running through a defender. Dick Butkus beheading a poor tightend or running back. Blood on the knuckles. Blood on the face. The “you got jacked up” segments. “New” generations like Sean Taylor, Ray Lewis, John Lynch on defense. WR that were built and played like Andre Johnson. Quarterbacks that wouldn’t dare hold the ball for more than 4 seconds not because of hero ball, but because if the defense didn’t massacre him his coach would for playing off schedule.

I enjoy the speed of the game today. I don’t enjoy the flag football aspect that has been implemented. I understand the reasoning because of “player safety” and PR behind it, but I also know that these gentlemen are paid millions upon millions because they are in a dangerous profession that is highly viewed. Our military is in a dangerous profession. Our police officers too. We just don’t put them on each Sunday for millions in marketing revenue.

The players know what they are signing up for. I am not saying certain protections aren’t warranted, but it’s gone too far for the game I still love but that has lost a bit of its mystique and pure adrenaline from controlled chaos and violence.

I am only 34. I miss the highlights my dad and older half brother introduced me to. Earl Campbell running through a defender. Dick Butkus beheading a poor tightend or running back. Blood on the knuckles. Blood on the face. The “you got jacked up” segments. “New” generations like Sean Taylor, Ray Lewis, John Lynch on defense. WR that were built and played like Andre Johnson. Quarterbacks that wouldn’t dare hold the ball for more than 4 seconds not because of hero ball, but because if the defense didn’t massacre him his coach would for playing off schedule.

I enjoy the speed of the game today. I don’t enjoy the flag football aspect that has been implemented. I understand the reasoning because of “player safety” and PR behind it, but I also know that these gentlemen are paid millions upon millions because they are in a dangerous profession that is highly viewed. Our military is in a dangerous profession. Our police officers too. We just don’t put them on each Sunday for millions in marketing revenue.

The players know what they are signing up for. I am not saying certain protections aren’t warranted, but it’s gone too far for the game I still love but that has lost a bit of its mystique and pure adrenaline from controlled chaos and violence.
Great post.

Yup, the tilting of the field towards offense and babying of qbs sickens me….but I still love the game.

you hit the nail on the head for me tho. These guys know exactly what they’re signing up for. I get some protections for player safety, but trying to regulate an inherently violent sport…just doesn’t make much sense to me.

NFL refs are well paid.

They would call or "non-call" on both sides; but when the chips are down; the true intention allways reveal itself.

NFL refs are well paid.

They would call or "non-call" on both sides; but when the chips are down; the true intention allways reveal itself.
The NFL does not release salary figures for referees but, according to Sporting News, the highest paid NFL refs make $250,000 annually. NFL referees on average usually make about $205,000 per year.

That's dang good coin for not being good at your job some of the time.

But are you entertained?

Even though the last game the Texans played gave me Bill O'Brien and Tim Kelly flashbacks, I've been, in general, entertained by them this year.

I don't think Slowick tells Stroud to throw it long, short, or in between. He gives him the plays, let Stroud read the defense & make good decisions.

I doubt he's got a playbook of 6-10 yard passes he breaks out when he wants to reel his QB in.

Why would he want to stymie Stroud? Is he in the dog house?
Watch all the routes run by the receivers in the All 22 and compare them between all the games.
Also compare the protection.
(Ie., to go deep, you need some protection, unless it's a pre-determined throw from the get-go.)

Too many times we are trying to run DP with no running lanes. Stroud will get into a rhythm and then we try to force the run. Disrupts the flow of the game. I think Slowik is a true Shanahan guy and wants to establish the run early and often, and like Mike and Gary, even when it isn't working they stick with it. Instead of letting the game unfold naturally, they keep forcing their plan over and over. This was a bad game. I expect it to be better next week.

I don't know what to think about DP. I love the guy but he seems to be lacking something this year. When he has lanes he doesn't seem to be able to make the decision on where to go. Last year, he was either battering his way to make his own little bit of room and getting 3yrds or so. And when he has lanes he hesitates and then goes. So, by the time he is in a clean lane, LBs are meeting him as he comes through. Thus, he gets 5 or so yards. He is also going down easier it seems. I really have yet to see him shrug off defensive players and get more yardage. He is still falling forward it seems which is good. I admit I have missed 2 games due to work. Yet this is what I have seen. I feel it's one of a few things or multiple of them.

1- Did cutting some weight cost him in his ability to hold his ground and break tackles?

2- Is he not happy with Singletary taking more carries from him? He doesn't seem like that type, but he also really didn't have a situation like that last year.

3- Is he not understanding the system and is legitimately confused about what to do on certain plays?

4- The OL is not playing great making the situation a fact in opening holes consistently.

5- Is he in a sophomore slump? Or maybe, he was a one hit wonder?

6- Does he have some type of injury that is minor but causes just enough of an issue that it's hindering him?

Thoughts on this? I'm not saying he has any of them (besides the OL). But, it's all I can come up with for the production decline and Singletary out playing him to this point IMO.

Watch all the routes run by the receivers in the All 22 and compare them between all the games.
Also compare the protection.
(Ie., to go deep, you need some protection, unless it's a pre-determined throw from the get-go.)

I agree with you. It seems that CJ is on a leash at times and that the offense is not the full playbook for some reason. It is rare I see a WR 30+ yards downfield and wide open and it is thrown to him. I see more 10yrd crossing routes type stuff. I thought it was just me

I don't know what to think about DP. I love the guy but he seems to be lacking something this year. When he has lanes he doesn't seem to be able to make the decision on where to go. Last year, he was either battering his way to make his own little bit of room and getting 3yrds or so. And when he has lanes he hesitates and then goes. So, by the time he is in a clean lane, LBs are meeting him as he comes through. Thus, he gets 5 or so yards. He is also going down easier it seems. I really have yet to see him shrug off defensive players and get more yardage. He is still falling forward it seems which is good. I admit I have missed 2 games due to work. Yet this is what I have seen. I feel it's one of a few things or multiple of them.

1- Did cutting some weight cost him in his ability to hold his ground and break tackles?

2- Is he not happy with Singletary taking more carries from him? He doesn't seem like that type, but he also really didn't have a situation like that last year.

3- Is he not understanding the system and is legitimately confused about what to do on certain plays?

4- The OL is not playing great making the situation a fact in opening holes consistently.

6- Does he have some type of injury that is minor but causes just enough of an issue that it's hindering him?

Thoughts on this? I'm not saying he has any of them (besides the OL). But, it's all I can come up with for the production decline and Singletary out playing him to this point IMO.
Perhaps last year he was playing to be the man and this year he started as the man and lost his impetus. He looks as he if still cares.

Side note one thing I do not like is when Stroud hands off to Damien deep in the backfield and then Pierce has to run six to seven yards just to get to the line of scrimmage. I understand the thought of that play but still don't like it.

I agree with you. It seems that CJ is on a leash at times and that the offense is not the full playbook for some reason. It is rare I see a WR 30+ yards downfield and wide open and it is thrown to him. I see more 10yrd crossing routes type stuff. I thought it was just me
it is definitely not just you.

Yeah. And if they want to make it like this or if baseball wants to ruin its sport or if basketball is gonna be stupid as hell then I'll just have to watch less.

I love sports. It's literally my favorite thing next to food. But every league seems to be ruining everything about it. It's all so boring. And it's not because I've simply grown older. There's no mystique or juice to anything. I was and am excited about the trajectory of the Texans but I'd be lying if I said I give that much of a **** about sports or anything anymore. Everyone is so overbearing and annoying with everything that it's made me care significantly less. The last 10-15 years of life have taken a significant toll on the enjoyment of things we used to enjoy as people.

Yeah. And if they want to make it like this or if baseball wants to ruin its sport or if basketball is gonna be stupid as hell then I'll just have to watch less.

I love sports. It's literally my favorite thing next to food. But every league seems to be ruining everything about it. It's all so boring. And it's not because I've simply grown older. There's no mystique or juice to anything. I was and am excited about the trajectory of the Texans but I'd be lying if I said I give that much of a **** about sports or anything anymore. Everyone is so overbearing and annoying with everything that it's made me care significantly less. The last 10-15 years of life have taken a significant toll on the enjoyment of things we used to enjoy as people.
It's become a much more instant gratification & politically correct, don't offend anyone era

DP appears to be better suited to a power/gap scheme than a ZBS scheme. I don't see him showing the vision or patience for ZBS scheme.

All this DP talk has me reminiscing on Arian Foster who had some of the best vision in NFL history.

Truly incredible player.

Had he been on this team, the Texans are an easy playoff team.

Didn't matter if an OL missed a block, he would have saw it, cut it to another hole and been faster than any LB in the area code.

The Texans need to look at some of the better RB in college in the draft because its a big need IMO.

All this DP talk has me reminiscing on Arian Foster who had some of the best vision in NFL history.

Truly incredible player.

Had he been on this team, the Texans are an easy playoff team.

Didn't matter if an OL missed a block, he would have saw it, cut it to another hole and been faster than any LB in the area code.

The Texans need to look at some of the better RB in college in the draft because its a big need IMO.
Just sign AJ Dillon in FA and draft a guy in the 4th rd. The Packers run the WCO

Back