Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Week 8 post game: Admit it, you knew it was going to turn out this way.

He did make a couple of good plays though.

Adam Thielen is a senior citizen as far as the NFL goes & Thielen was routinely beating that dude. Young and the Panthers hadn’t had a pass play greater than 25 yards ALL SEASON…..until yesterday when Young connected with Thielen on 1.

Think about that.

Adam Thielen is a senior citizen as far as the NFL goes & Thielen was routinely beating that dude. Young and the Panthers hadn’t had a pass play greater than 25 yards ALL SEASON…..until yesterday when Young connected with Thielen on 1.

Think about that.
On the one hand we've got guys saying the Texans played zone all day. On the other Tavier Thomas was matched up on Carolina's leading receiver...

Who is a senior citizen.

Last edited:
They play cover 3 all game anyway
There's Cover 3 playing the right way, with the boundary corners shadowing the most outside routes; and there's Cover 3 (which they played on that last series) where they all dropped back too deep from the start, leaving the second level wide open.

I dont want Howard playing LG. Put Jones at LG and he can do as good of a job as Howard did. I think the issue with Howard is he just isn't smart enough to pick up the new scheme at LG. This shouldn't be as big of an issue for him at RT.

Did you see that there were a couple of plays where Howard was supposed to be pulling out to the left on a run play to block Burns? He looked like he didn't know what he was supposed to do. It made the play look like they left Burns unblocked intentionally.

Also I dont think the gap between Howard and Fant is all that great. Is Kendrick Lewis eligible to come off of the IR? I also dont think it would be a bad idea to give Broeker a shot at LG. He couldn't be much worse than Howard was yesterday.
That gap is huge. They keep Beck in to help Fant mostly. If you're going to keep Fant out there and help him all game with a h-back in a team with limited explosive weapons, you're digging the grave.

There's Cover 3 playing the right way, with the boundary corners shadowing the most outside routes; and there's Cover 3 (which they played on that last series) where they all dropped back too deep from the start, leaving the second level wide open.
Ryans pedigree is cover 3 no matter how you slice it. Now if the lbs and corners aren't tightening up those windows, then it looks soft. Same in SF,NyJ, Seattle. Those teams run alot of cover 3. What makes SF cover look better despite not having so called lock down corners are the lbs underneath closing windows.

That gap is huge. They keep Beck in to help Fant mostly. If you're going to keep Fant out there and help him all game with a h-back in a team with limited explosive weapons, you're digging the grave.
This could be correct. As you know I'm not fond of Howard's play either.

I don't recall seeing Beck line up as anything other than a running back so if not on the field, is the backfill empty of a blocker? Also on the fumble, i i r c Beck did catch the ball he just did not cover it up to protect it and chose to use his left for a forearm which did not keep the ball from being knocked from his grasp.
I'm talking about him getting snaps. When he's on the field helping Fant, that's 1 less player in the route.

On the one hand we've got guys saying the Texans played done all day. On the other Tavier Thomas was matched up on Carolina's leading receiver...

Who is a senior citizen.

Thomas is one of those guys who doesn’t play to his measureables. Has good size and speed, but his technique is trash..so bad that he can’t play as a boundary cb even with his physical gifts. So They try to hide him as the nickel guy to match up physically with slower flex TE’s or to be able to out-physical slot WR’s & In doing that we’re supposed to not really lose anything in run support with him and his size near the LOS…& it allows Pitre to sort of fly around and make plays on the backside and not constantly be up in the box. but as you can see from yesterday, We started making plays & locking down the Panthers when Pitre was blitzing.

Aside from that, you can’t hide a bad cb these days..it’s too easy for offenses to move guys around to get a favorable match up…in this case, the panthers sought Thomas out & we’re moving Thielen onto or positioning him to flow into Thomas’s zone.

Ryans pedigree is cover 3 no matter how you slice it. Now if the lbs and corners aren't tightening up those windows, then it looks soft. Same in SF,NyJ, Seattle. Those teams run alot of cover 3. What makes SF cover look better despite not having so called lock down corners are the lbs underneath closing windows.
What do you think I was saying in the first place?

The middle pressure wasn't the problem, it's when guys rush past the qb and create throwing lanes. A guy like Young, you rush him like you would LJ or Allen. Get upfield 2 yds then flatten out.

Yes, but our pressure is not coming off the side of the line. Which creates the edge. We are taking our edge and pinching in the middle. It's great when you have either a QB who isn't very mobile or DBs (I'd rather see a LB) who can see a QB roll and instantly flip the hips and stay on him. It use to be "spying the QB" but with so many QBs running now, I would call it mirroring.

Why do we think Slowick isn't allowing Stroud to be Stroud? We had no problem thinking he was letting him play before the interception. Now after the interception Slowick is reeling him in...

Doesn't make sense to me.

To me this is related to the first issue. When it doesn't make sense to call a run play, or it gets too predictable, I'm not sold that it is exclusively on the OC. The QB makes the call at the line as he looks over the defense.

If anything I hope Slowick gets Cj better options when he doesn't like what he sees.
Stroud was complaining about the lack of explosive plays after the game.
Between that and all the runs and the way they targeted Schultz, I think we can tell what the game plan was; no?

That delay call was absolutely bogus. They dropped that flag way too soon! I watched the Chiefs game later and Mahomes did that more than once and never got called. It was a crap call.

Nico got 6 targets. He had 30 yards receiving. Slowik has to get him more involved.
Dell can't be running those jet sweeps. He's gonna get jacked up
Meco HAS to keep the defense aggressive. They had a great game up to the last drive!
Run game? Geez, that has got to get better.
And ST's sucked.
Beerlover just posted ST were solid. I point this out only as we all can see things differently. I happen to agree with @beerlover.

Why do we think Slowick isn't allowing Stroud to be Stroud? We had no problem thinking he was letting him play before the interception. Now after the interception Slowick is reeling him in...

Doesn't make sense to me.

To me this is related to the first issue. When it doesn't make sense to call a run play, or it gets too predictable, I'm not sold that it is exclusively on the OC. The QB makes the call at the line as he looks over the defense.

If anything I hope Slowick gets Cj better options when he doesn't like what he sees.
Perhaps you answered your own question number one by saying the interception was the issue?

Too many times we are trying to run DP with no running lanes. Stroud will get into a rhythm and then we try to force the run. Disrupts the flow of the game. I think Slowik is a true Shanahan guy and wants to establish the run early and often, and like Mike and Gary, even when it isn't working they stick with it. Instead of letting the game unfold naturally, they keep forcing their plan over and over. This was a bad game. I expect it to be better next week.
I prefer using the run to set up the play but if you do not have a run you better go with what works. I prefer ribeye but I have hamburger. Guess what I'm having for dinner?

I dont want Howard playing LG. Put Jones at LG and he can do as good of a job as Howard did. I think the issue with Howard is he just isn't smart enough to pick up the new scheme at LG. This shouldn't be as big of an issue for him at RT.

Did you see that there were a couple of plays where Howard was supposed to be pulling out to the left on a run play to block Burns? He looked like he didn't know what he was supposed to do. It made the play look like they left Burns unblocked intentionally.

Also I dont think the gap between Howard and Fant is all that great. Is Kendrick Lewis eligible to come off of the IR? I also dont think it would be a bad idea to give Broeker a shot at LG. He couldn't be much worse than Howard was yesterday.
I agree that Titus Howard should be moved to right tackle. I wonder if Deculus could handle left guard?

Think about that.
IIRC Thielen just returned from injury and is much better than Thomas. His being a vet helped him also. I am not saying that Thomas is a whole lot but I think he did have a couple good plays. We need to add to our defensive backs.

I agree that Titus Howard should be moved to right tackle. I wonder if Deculus could handle left guard?
He only played RT in college.

But maybe he could do it. It would solve his problem of not being able to move his feet fast enough.

On the one hand we've got guys saying the Texans played zone all day. On the other Tavier Thomas was matched up on Carolina's leading receiver...

Who is a senior citizen.
Probably just me but I see Mingo as their best receiver sort of like our Nico Collins while Thielen is more like Robert Woods in my opinion.

He only played RT in college.

But maybe he could do it. It would solve his problem of not being able to move his feet fast enough.
I was hoping that Charlie Heck could be either our right tackle or Right Guard due to his dad being a coach with my preference being at offensive guard because of his feet also. It just hasn't happened and with his injury looks like it will not.

That was a bs call too. That ball was hiked at 0. It's supposed to be a click after 0. Ryans could've called a to. That's the 1st delay of game penalty all year I think. On that drive, it seems like they were trying to take the air out the ball.

Correct that was the fist delay of game penalty called against the Texans this season.

As for the call itself, I thought it was a good one, they were late getting the play started.

I thought they should have called a time out because they seemed slow to get to the line and it was such a critical play, they could still run the clock to 0:01.

Taking that penalty there - by the coach or the QB was worst case scenario taking them out of FG range along with making that 3rd down extra difficult..

Might go back and rewatch it.

Last edited:
Would like to know if someone has done to trend study? To see how teams start a season compared to bye week. Is it a people problem or organizational. Throw in other variables like, coming off win vs loss.

This felt like first game of the season. Delay of game/penalties, not making adjustments, losing takeaway battle, just a whole assortment of being off and slow all around instead of sharp. This despite a swarming defense and battle tested rookie QB.

Reactions: JB
I thought Beck did fine, just unfortunate he didn’t secure the football.

Perhaps you answered your own question number one by saying the interception was the issue?
Right. I can see the interception affecting the young QB. A good OC... who we were saying Slowick was, would try to encourage his QB to move on.

Probably just me but I see Mingo as their best receiver sort of like our Nico Collins while Thielen is more like Robert Woods in my opinion.
I didn't say "best" I said "leading." Semantics, but still, there is a difference.

Correct that was the fist delay of game penalty called against the Texans this season.

As for the call itself, I thought it was a good one, they were late getting the play started.

I thought they should have called a time out because they seemed slow to get to the line and it was such a critical play, they could still run the clock to 0:01.

Taking that penalty there - by the coach or the QB was worst case scenario taking them out of FG range along with making that 3rd down extra difficult..

Might go back and rewatch it.
I think it's odd that there are games where they would overcome gaffs like that. But this game... things seemed to snowball. One after another.

Bad juju

Thomas is one of those guys who doesn’t play to his measureables. Has good size and speed, but his technique is trash..so bad that he can’t play as a boundary cb even with his physical gifts. So They try to hide him as the nickel guy to match up physically with slower flex TE’s or to be able to out-physical slot WR’s & In doing that we’re supposed to not really lose anything in run support with him and his size near the LOS…& it allows Pitre to sort of fly around and make plays on the backside and not constantly be up in the box. but as you can see from yesterday, We started making plays & locking down the Panthers when Pitre was blitzing.

Aside from that, you can’t hide a bad cb these days..it’s too easy for offenses to move guys around to get a favorable match up…in this case, the panthers sought Thomas out & we’re moving Thielen onto or positioning him to flow into Thomas’s zone.

100%. I hate to be the I told you so guy…but I told you so. They cut King and kept Thomas even though King is clearly the better slot. It didn’t make sense then…it doesn’t make sense now.

Running back is climbing my list and may end up as our biggest off-season need. Boone actually is the best RB in this scheme. They are just too stubborn to admit it. DP should be taking Boone’s role, and Boone should take DP’s role. Devin can stay right in the middle as he is now. DP sucks in this offense and I’d say he is slightly better then where he was…but it’s not good enough. He should be traded or moved to #3.

I agree. I love the guy but either he isn't picking up the system or he just can't process what he needs to do fast enough. Tank, Boone and Singletary don't seem to be having that problem. I think DT is priority one, and then either a DB (depending on what the staff thinks about Stingley) and then RB. If they are going to ride with Stingley, draft a DT and then a RB. And see if any 1st or 2nd round graded CBs fall to the 3rd or if we can trade up to the 2nd and snag one. With the QBs expected to have as many as 6 in the 1st maybe a flier on 1 or 2 more. I think we should have a CB who falls from the 1st or is a high 2nd round guy we can move around and get.

Complete garbage by the NFL Officiating crew.
The same official made both of those calls! Fishy? It’s horrible that’s for sure

Wow I watched the whole game and didn't notice that until I watched that. If CJ had a delay called, no question Young also should have. I did notice a couple of no calls on some pass plays that were interface. 1 to Nico that typical hand fighting and then the DB clearly shoves Nico. Who took a step or so to the I think left before he straightened his route back to upfeild. That was on the say 3yrd over throw that Nico was wide open. Problem was he was knocked off his pattern (about 8 to 10yrds off the line) and had to adjust. Anything past 5yrds that is a clear push, and it was, is pass interface...correct?

I’m not exactly shocked that the offensive line isn’t good at run blocking. It’s not like Slowik and Strausser drafted all the so called starters. The running backs also don’t seem to be a fit for the scheme Slowik is running. Pierce and Singletary seem to be more of a fit for a power blocking scheme. This next draft and FA should get us where we need to be! Or so I hope…

Teams are figuring out the schemes that propelled CJ's early success. While it's on the coaches to make adjustments, CJ also has plenty of room to grow. When things go off script and there's pressure, he's definitely looking like a rookie. I'm looking at this season as his opportunity to grow into the role. Hopefully next season they'll patch up the pieces around him and things will take off.

Too Many Penalties we let the Panthers off the hook when we had them stopped way too many times

Pass Protection especially on the interior I blame for all the passes CJ had batted down at the LOS today.
I agree with you on the penalties, but many of the blocked passes were by players who couldn't get to the QB. One of the blocked passes was by a LB who has some hops. CJ had to throw that pass on a rope and the LB made a good play.
Now that teams have 7 weeks of film on CJ, it's up to Slo to change his game plans and play calling up. I noticed Sunday that CJ wasn't able to move safeties and LBs with his eyes as much as he had in previous weeks.

I agree with you on the penalties, but many of the blocked passes were by players who couldn't get to the QB. One of the blocked passes was by a LB who has some hops. CJ had to throw that pass on a rope and the LB made a good play.
Now that teams have 7 weeks of film on CJ, it's up to Slo to change his game plans and play calling up. I noticed Sunday that CJ wasn't able to move safeties and LBs with his eyes as much as he had in previous weeks.
I felt CJ did more locking onto receivers this game than in previous games. Even with that, we had a few opportunities that he just missed. They happen but are rare. He is super accurate. I expect the offense to rebound this week.

I agree. I love the guy but either he isn't picking up the system or he just can't process what he needs to do fast enough. Tank, Boone and Singletary don't seem to be having that problem. I think DT is priority one, and then either a DB (depending on what the staff thinks about Stingley) and then RB. If they are going to ride with Stingley, draft a DT and then a RB. And see if any 1st or 2nd round graded CBs fall to the 3rd or if we can trade up to the 2nd and snag one. With the QBs expected to have as many as 6 in the 1st maybe a flier on 1 or 2 more. I think we should have a CB who falls from the 1st or is a high 2nd round guy we can move around and get.
If we draft a wide receiver who can find the end zone that would put points on the board and decrease our red zone inability.
I am all for improving our run defense but usually we give up approximately 4 yd a run. A good wide receiver will gain 12 to 15 yards per reception. We just need to have those wide receivers scoring more frequently than we allow running backs to score touchdowns against us.

Do you think that Slowick did call for some long pass play downfield, based on what Stroud was saying?
I don't think Slowick tells Stroud to throw it long, short, or in between. He gives him the plays, let Stroud read the defense & make good decisions.

I doubt he's got a playbook of 6-10 yard passes he breaks out when he wants to reel his QB in.

Why would he want to stymie Stroud? Is he in the dog house?

Think about that.
So is Robert Woods, and?

Having watched that deep pass incompletion to Collins in the 1st quarter a half dozen times, that should've been DPI. The CB tripped Collins as he was looking for the ball. The Texans get called for DPI every time a bad pass forces the WR to run into the CB.
What is it going to take to get the NFL into the 21st century with its refereeing? The zebras decide way too many games.

IMO Ryans had it right when he said 'We have to learn how to handle success'. The Texans made way too many mental mistakes. I think they bought into all the good press they have been getting.

I saw an HBO special with Belichick & Saban a few years ago where they were both saying how hard it is to keep a winning team focused. Even though they were only at 500 I think the Texans may have fallen into that trap.

I believe we will see a much more focused team next game. At least I really hope so.

Back