Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Week 8: Texans vs Panthers- Battle of The Rookie Quarterbacks

This one’s on Demeco.

Is it? The offense looked like crap today. They keep running Pierce and his gaudy 2.9 average + enormous blinders up into piles of blockers. They look like they’re keeping Stroud in some kind of Fisher-Price “My First Offense” system and he can clearly handle more. Maybe the JAGs around him who have been playing over their heads can’t. Who knows but this crapxjust like the Falcons game is on the offense and that’s on Slowik IMO

This is embarrassing!!! Quit the playoff talk for the local sports channels.
giphy.gif

I don't think you can overlook the possibility that given human nature and some inexperience, our guys overlooked their opponent. We are still a work in progress and part of that progress is showing up for all opponents regardless of their won loss record. I think our team is good but there is a lot of growing that needs to take place before we are good enough to make the playoffs.

That was a poorly coached game. Penalties galore...offensive plays were easily deciphered and showed little to no creativity...and once again the opposing offense drove down the field on our defense in the closing minute with way too much ease. Guess we have to remember we have rookie coaches but I would like to see them not make the same mistakes and try learning from the past experiences.

Unlike others I’m happy with the defense today. Perfect? No. Guys ran free a few times which you don’t want. But those guys over on their offense get paid too, and Bryce looked good when he had time. For me…the D did it’s part to put a W on the board.

OTOH…l

My beef is with the offense. It seemed like the plan was to come there and impose their will in the run game…but that’s not who this team is. It was sort of a dull game plan. Bobby called a horrible game for the most part. They needed to get CJ on the move more. CJ also clearly had his worst game and seems to be regressing back to the mean, as does the offense more generally. I think this is somewhat natural as teams get more film on him. I’m not upset at CJ. Even with today, he has exceeded my expectations. But Bobby needs to get his head out of his ass, and quit forcing square pegs into round holes. Give me a lot more Boone and a lot less DP. DP is not a fit for this offense, and the more he diddles around trying to force things…the worst the offense is looking.

Is it? The offense looked like crap today. They keep running Pierce and his gaudy 2.9 average + enormous blinders up into piles of blockers. They look like they’re keeping Stroud in some kind of Fisher-Price “My First Offense” system and he can clearly handle more. Maybe the JAGs around him who have been playing over their heads can’t. Who knows but this crapxjust like the Falcons game is on the offense and that’s on Slowik IMO

I say it’s on Demeco b/c this was a game our defense was gonna have to win with how it was going. And Demeco chose to sit back in prevent defense AGAIN on what amounted to the last drive of the game. We got 6 sacks on Young, they couldn’t protect him and to just sit back and let him drive down the field and eat clock…just too conservative imo. Should’ve continued to get after him. Worst thing that happens, they score a TD fast..but we have clock and TO’s in our favor..& we then can hand the ball to our young stud qb. I like that option better than letting them move into FG territory easily while chewing clock.

exact same **** happened against the Falcons. The offense, while it struggled, actually ran the ball well today…well better than we normally have.

I say it’s on Demeco b/c this was a game our defense was gonna have to win with how it was going. And Demeco chose to sit back in prevent defense AGAIN on what amounted to the last drive of the game. We got 6 sacks on Young, they couldn’t protect him and to just sit back and let him drive down the field and eat clock…just too conservative imo. Should’ve continued to get after him. Worst thing that happens, they score a TD fast..but we have clock and TO’s in our favor..& we then can hand the ball to our young stud qb. I like that option better than letting them move into FG territory easily.

exact same **** happened against the Falcons. The offense, while it struggled, actually ran the ball well today…well better than we normally have.

I agree with that in game was very much the same as the Falcons. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Ryan’s choose to sit back and hope to prevent a big play again. And it prevented something alright…but it wasn’t a big play. Come on Meco let your balls drop!

I agree with that in game was very much the same as the Falcons. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Ryan’s choose to sit back and hope to prevent a big play again. And it prevented something alright…but it wasn’t a big play. Come on Meco let your balls drop!

I absolutely HATE losing like that….just a slow bleed. At least put pressure on them where they potentially make a mistake..playing prevent defense against qb’s these days is akin to turning the game into 7 on 7…which these guys have been doing since high school.

Unlike others I’m happy with the defense today. Perfect? No. Guys ran free a few times which you don’t want. But those guys over on their offense get paid too, and Bryce looked good when he had time. For me…the D did it’s part to put a W on the board.

OTOH…l

My beef is with the offense. It seemed like the plan was to come there and impose their will in the run game…but that’s not who this team is. It was sort of a dull game plan. Bobby called a horrible game for the most part. They needed to get CJ on the move more. CJ also clearly had his worst game and seems to be regressing back to the mean, as does the offense more generally. I think this is somewhat natural as teams get more film on him. I’m not upset at CJ. Even with today, he has exceeded my expectations. But Bobby needs to get his head out of his ass, and quit forcing square pegs into round holes. Give me a lot more Boone and a lot less DP. DP is not a fit for this offense, and the more he diddles around trying to force things…the worst the offense is looking.

You’re happy with a defense that makes another QB look like a Pro Bowler? Young easily has his best game as a pro against this defense. 71% completion percentage, Texans had the 4th worst completion percentage against coming into the game, they haven’t been good the whole damn season.

I don’t disagree with your take on the offense today, but the defense can’t get off the field when they need to. Anybody happy with that then I don’t know what else to say.

I'm not going to overreact nor do I think they overlooked the Panthers. I believe you have to play to your strong points. I know they want to be a running football team, but that's not their strong point. All they did was shorten the game on themselves. Having Beck out there on 3rd in 7 is a wasted pass play. No team is going to assign a defender to him and thus, more players in the passing lanes. I expected 7 wins and that's where I think they will be. If you're not getting gashes in the run game, teams aren't going to drop 8 in the box. They will rally up and tackle. They also need to push the ball outside more because teams are clouding the middle. I'm surprised Stroud didn't throw ints today. There were alot of bodies inside the hash marks

Dude what part of 13 points do you not understand? Seriously.

I can see you're a fan of moral victories.
When the game was on the line, the defense let an 0-6 team with a previously poorly performing rookie QB move the ball at will.
The Panthers only needed a field goal but they could easily have scored a TD if they wanted to.

So we can clearly agree to disagree

Hopefully this game will give them the kick up the arse they need to kick on and improve. This team has flattered to deceive and at 3-3 maybe spent the bye week buying into unwarranted hype.
2 games in a row now we’ve seen CJ Stroud hampered when a D chooses to take the middle of the field away and the Panthers also keyed in on batting those passing lanes. Plenty of learning to take from that.

On D I think some key plays came back for silly fouls away from the ball, Tevierre Thomas maybe a little rusty , Griffen got called on a key PI call, maybe homer glasses but I saw little in it.

I saw some positives as well today but im not quite ready to type them out!

That was a poorly coached game. Penalties galore...offensive plays were easily deciphered and showed little to no creativity...and once again the opposing offense drove down the field on our defense in the closing minute with way too much ease. Guess we have to remember we have rookie coaches but I would like to see them not make the same mistakes and try learning from the past experiences.
Bingo.
Gotta clean those up and this team still has some work to do.
Hated losing to the midget tho...

You’re happy with a defense that makes another QB look like a Pro Bowler? Young easily has his best game as a pro against this defense. 71% completion percentage, Texans had the 4th worst completion percentage against coming into the game, they haven’t been good the whole damn season.

I don’t disagree with your take on the offense today, but the defense can’t get off the field when they need to. Anybody happy with that then I don’t know what else to say.

I was happy with the D all in all minus the last drive when Meco decided to roll up the carpet and play a soft zone again and not pressure Bryce. Huge mistake.

I don’t have all the stats in front of me, but they Panthers did little damage on the ground, the D stopped the Panthers cold on the goal line on 4 straight tries, two other times they stopped the Panthers in the RZ, 6 sacks, additional pressures. And until that last crappy drive, only 12 points.

No turnovers was an issue for sure. Too many times, Panthers ran free. Too many penalties, too many mental errors. Like I said it wasn’t perfect, but that’s an effort that should win you the game 90% of the time. you got a problem with 12 points? Had the offense just had a average effort, that last drive would have looked a lot different.

Nope…this loss while a team loss, lies mostly with the offense. And I’ll add that the team came out flat. They didn’t have as much juice as they had before. I think the ole trap game just trapped us. Hope they learn from this, and come back to even next week.

Beck's fumble - the only turnover in the game - was big because it led to a FG for Carolina.

Passing game was not as expected. Hardly any chunk plays. I counted one deep pass (incomplete).

Agree with whoever said that they were trying to force the running game to work....

This team was not ready today. Spent 2 weeks hearing how they were better now. No hunger. No push from the OL. Not focused. Coaches making same silly mistakes too. We are a bottom third team still. Should have been up 2 scores throughout to avoid this situation. 7-6 at halftime, you knew this was a mess.

I was happy with the D all in all minus the last drive when Meco decided to roll up the carpet and play a soft zone again and not pressure Bryce. Huge mistake.

I don’t have all the stats in front of me, but they Panthers did little damage on the ground, the D stopped the Panthers cold on the goal line on 4 straight tries, two smother times they stopped the Panthers in the RZ, 6 sacks, additional pressures. And until that last crappy drive, only 12 points.

No turnovers was an issue for sure. Too many times, Panthers ran free. Like I said it wasn’t perfect, but that’s an effort that should win you the game 90% of the time you got a problem with 12 points? Had the offense just had a average effort, that last drive would have looked a lot different.

Nope…this loss while a team loss, lies mostly with the offense.

Yeah it is a team loss and the defense is part of that team. I don’t care if the score was 3-2, make ONE stop and get off the field when it matters. They didn’t do that. Instead they let a struggling rookie QB dismantle them like he was a 10 year Pro Bowl veteran. And it’s not like this is the 1st game that’s been an issue. They’re the 6th worst defense on 3rd down. They give up a ton of passing yards, 7th most, 8th most total yards. And again, 5th worst completion percentage allowed. It hasn’t been just this game, it’s been all season.

Yes, the offense certainly did their part in the loss, and yes, giving up 12 points should almost always be a win, but you don’t always have all 3 units clicking in the same game. Sometimes, hell most times, one needs to pick up the other and vice versa. In todays game, no one really did that. Total and complete team loss.

I wish we would have gone after Zach Moss, Josh Jacob or Cook when we had the chance. Pierce ain’t it.

Last edited:
Yeah it is a team loss and the defense is part of that team. I don’t care if the score was 3-2, make ONE stop and get off the field when it matters. They didn’t do that. Instead they let a struggling rookie QB dismantle them like he was a 10 year Pro Bowl veteran.
I feel like the secondary is the weak link here. If you sack the quarterback half a dozen times and still give up big passing plays like we did (and also don’t get any turnovers) my first guess is that you either need a different scheme for your defensive backs to execute or you need better guys at those positions.

I love Robert Smith, but he's not the man for this job.
Love him when he was the RB on those good Vikings teams. The media was always mentioning how smart he was and if he wasn't playing football, medical school was in his future. Twenty-three years after retiring, he's an announcer on the 3rd or 4th broadcast team?

Yeah it is a team loss and the defense is part of that team. I don’t care if the score was 3-2, make ONE stop and get off the field when it matters. They didn’t do that. Instead they let a struggling rookie QB dismantle them like he was a 10 year Pro Bowl veteran. And it’s not like this is the 1st game that’s been an issue. They’re the 6th worst defense on 3rd down. They give up a ton of passing yards, 7th most, 8th most total yards. And again, 5th worst completion percentage allowed. It hasn’t been just this game, it’s been all season.

Yes, the offense certainly did their part in the loss, and yes, giving up 12 points should almost always be a win, but you don’t always have all 3 units clicking in the same game. Sometimes, hell most times, one needs to pick up the other and vice versa. In todays game, no one really did that. Total and complete team loss.
^^^this^^^ Meco went soft on defense that last drive
Love him when he was the RB on those good Vikings teams. The media was always mentioning how smart he was and if he wasn't playing football, medical school was in his future. Twenty-three years after retiring, he's an announcer on the 3rd or 4th broadcast team?
Can’t stand the dude, sounds just like Romo

Are you watching a rerun of a previous game?
0-whatever Panthers are marching down the field virtually at will to win this game.
Congrats on a participation trophy for the sacks
Game not shown in my neck of the woods. Just checking the stats, yep kudos for the sacks. Thank goodness at least in this game Will Anderson wasn’t playing across from Will Anderson.

Not sure why we went so passive on that last drive. D had been dominant all day up until that point. Probably Offense more to blame where we didn't really click. Not the best play calling from Slowik either. Was Metchie targeted at all?

I say it’s on Demeco b/c this was a game our defense was gonna have to win with how it was going. And Demeco chose to sit back in prevent defense AGAIN on what amounted to the last drive of the game. We got 6 sacks on Young, they couldn’t protect him and to just sit back and let him drive down the field and eat clock…just too conservative imo. Should’ve continued to get after him. Worst thing that happens, they score a TD fast..but we have clock and TO’s in our favor..& we then can hand the ball to our young stud qb. I like that option better than letting them move into FG territory easily while chewing clock.

Agreed that DeMeco is going through growing pains too. I will say that he did bring pressure a couple of times on that last drive that I recall. On the 3rd and 12, we blitzed but the Panthers called a screen for 10 yards. And then again on 1st down after the Panthers converted the 4th and 2. In the end, to lose a game on a final drive that goes 91yds that consumes 6+ minutes is hard to take.

Back