Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Week 8: Texans vs Panthers- Battle of The Rookie Quarterbacks

The only other game this season with the potential to be more disgusting and embarrassing than this one is if we get walked by the Titans while they're wearing the Oilers throw backs.

So expect that to happen
I walked into my friend's house to watch the game and said I expect this one to be a easy win. His reply was uh-oh that means they're going to lose.

The Texans are a much worse team on the road.

Only road game they’ve played well in was against the Jags (who only have home field advantage in London).

The Texans are a young inconsistent team. Those teams perform better at home than on the road. Hopefully they can figure it out this season.

Texans only play defense
Even when on offense they are playing defense
Demeco telling the O coach what to do? or is it Slow problem
They didn’t play much defense against Desmond Ridder. He was benched today, going against the Texans just delayed the inevitable.

The Texans are very inconsistent on both sides of the ball. That’s to be expected from a young team.

Does this mean we no longer have to worry about another team taking away Slowik for their head coach?
Slowik didn't forget how to call a game during the bye week. I find it hilarious that when things go wrong it's always on the coaching. Truth is the offense isn't anywhere near complete, weapons need to be added. When Singletary is your best RB in a WCO you know there are issues. They have some nice skill position players but nobody that keep opposing coaches up at night.

BTW, what's up with Stroud getting all of those passes batted down? I dont remember this being an issue in college.

I say it’s on Demeco b/c this was a game our defense was gonna have to win with how it was going. And Demeco chose to sit back in prevent defense AGAIN on what amounted to the last drive of the game. We got 6 sacks on Young, they couldn’t protect him and to just sit back and let him drive down the field and eat clock…just too conservative imo. Should’ve continued to get after him. Worst thing that happens, they score a TD fast..but we have clock and TO’s in our favor..& we then can hand the ball to our young stud qb. I like that option better than letting them move into FG territory easily while chewing clock.

exact same **** happened against the Falcons. The offense, while it struggled, actually ran the ball well today…well better than we normally have.

Lots of stuff went wrong and the defense fell short a bunch of times. 6 other teams faced these guys and their rookie QB yet with weeks of tape on him we fell short? Stroud has been increasingly handled by defenses as time goes by but our defense can’t study 6 games of Young and do the same? Stroud was instead held mostly in check by their defense.

But 13 points? Inexcusable Nobody else has managed fewer than 20 points against them and that would have easily won this game. Slowik isn’t keeping up.

Slowik didn't forget how to call a game during the bye week. I find it hilarious that when things go wrong it's always on the coaching. Truth is the offense isn't anywhere near complete, weapons need to be added. When Singletary is your best RB in a WCO you know there are issues. They have some nice skill position players but nobody that keep opposing coaches up at night.

BTW, what's up with Stroud getting all of those passes batted down? I dont remember this being an issue in college.
With the lack of explosive players and an offense that needs weapons. Why would anyone consider this a 10-win team? :kitten:

This last minute last ditch effort is not the strategy that makes for winning. Everyone including out QB playing much would be a better route.

Eddy Pineiro needs three kicks for game-winner after multiple fouls by Texans
By Charean Williams
Published October 29, 2023 09:22 PM

Eddy Pineiro kicked a chip-shot, game-winning field goal on the final play for the Panthers’ first win of the season. It wasn’t that easy.

It, in fact, took three kicks before Pineiro could jump on holder Johnny Hekker’s back for a pre-planned celebratory ride.

“I have seen it before when teams try to play with a kicker’s mind,” Hekker said, via Steve Reed of the Associated Press. “Hey, it’s hard to hit one game-winner, much less three. Kudos to him. He’s mentally tough, and he is a guy that works super hard. He has the ability to put every kick behind him and focus on that next kick.”

With three seconds left, Pineiro lined up for a 38-yarder. But Texans defensive back Tavierre Thomas jumped offsides and ran over Hekker as Pineiro missed the kick wide right. Thomas was cited for offsides, which was declined, and unnecessary roughness, a 10-yard penalty that moved the ball to the 10.

From 28 yards out, Pineiro made the kick, but officials blew it dead after Thomas again was offsides. Officials penalized Thomas for unsportsmanlike conduct which moved it 5 yards closer.
Pineiro’s 23-yard kick was good, and the network broadcast indicated there was a flag, but no penalty was announced and the game was ended.

“My coach told me to sell out and not let it go through the uprights,” Thomas said. “I didn’t try to hit the dude the first time. He was just right there and I fell over him. We were trying to get the kicker a little frazzled or whatever so he would miss the kick.”

As Football Zebras pointed out, referee John Hussey could have issued a warning to the Texans if the intentional unabated offsides fouls had continued. Rule 12-3-2 allows for officials to award the offensive team the score for a palpably unfair act if the intentional fouls continue after a warning.

A palpably unfair act has not been called in the NFL, according to Football Zebras.
The repeated fouls by Thomas did not rattle Pineiro, who received a game ball in the locker room.

“As soon as it started to play out like that, you just keep your cool,” Panthers coach Frank Reich said. “Eddy did a good job of keeping his cool and just was clutch like we knew he would be.”
Pineiro missed an extra point earlier in the game, making him happy for a chance to “redeem” himself. He did despite Thomas’ penalties and the Texans’ taunting.

“Those guys were like, ‘Oh you’re gonna miss it!,’” Pineiro said. “They’re just trying to get in your head and I just stayed focused, followed my technique and just did my normal prayer that I usually do before I kick, and that’s it.”

Last edited:
Does this mean we no longer have to worry about another team taking away Slowik for their head coach?
I said this in the other thread, Slowick came in as an unknown quantity, and so did Stroud. Your opponent each week doesn’t know what to prepare for.
You see this all the time in the NFL, we’ve seen it for the Texans with TJ Yates, young Case Keenum, we saw it to an extent with Davis Mills. A huge unspoken factor in the loss yesterday is that Carolina had a new offensive playcaller so the tendencies weren’t on film.

Getting towards halfway in the season and it’s been a great start for the rookie QB and the rookie OC looks great because of it, but in this league one D might have noticed that you are narrowing the field between the hash marks one week and prove they can slow you down by cheating against that, the next week you come back and a different team can develop the concept and get hands up in those passing lanes and slow you down like that.

CJ showed some glimpses that he can outplay that on a couple of drives, he certainly has the accuracy & arm to move the ball outside the hash marks, but we weren’t able to move the sticks consistently this game.

I’ll be more interested to watch some of the breakdowns on YouTube this week which I expect will have great constructive criticism broken down, should have more to learn than when it’s all been plain sailing, Stroud seems comfortable putting in the effort to improve, and certainly has the physical tools.

What we watched today was a defense who studied our rookie QB's tendencies
The Panthers had a bye week to go over what the Texans have put on film. It helped them. In this game, the Texans brain trust wasn't able to exploit the Panthers weaknesses. The Texans continue to run outside, but cannot seal the edge. I don't blame the Texans for trying to establish the run. Just find a way to seal the edge if you do.

Still, the Texans were in position to seal this game in the 4th quarter. The Texans defense sacked Young twice on a 3 and out. Dell had a 20 yard punt return to midfield. The Texans had a makable 3rd and 5 at the Panthers 35, but were flagged for delay of game. The TV analyst, Robert Smith, made an excellent point regarding all of the pre play shifting and motion. Sometimes you just need to snap the ball and make a play. A field goal there would have forced the Panthers to get a TD. Changed the complexion of the rest of the game.

The two back to back penalties by the defense on the last drive dug the Panthers out of bad field position. And getting a stop on 4th down would have given the Texans another opportunity to put the game away. 4 plays in the 4th quarter were the difference. Cleaning this up and making those 4th quarter plays will come with experience.

the next week you come back and a different team can develop the concept and get hands up in those passing lanes and slow you down like that.
But... I thought Cj had a quick release, compact throwing motion. That should help against balls batted down at the LOS.

The others, it seemed like he gambled & lost several times. The ball was thrown well, the defender just made a great play & got a piece of the ball... a small piece. I don't know if I want to tell Cj to stay away from those types of decisions. You win some, you lose some. Hopefully this was a fluke game where he lost on several.

But that is also a symptom of how hard we're forcing the underneath coverage to bite on the run fake. We've got to get the run game going to keep them from dropping back so quickly.

The Panthers had a bye week to go over what the Texans have put on film. It helped them. In this game, the Texans brain trust wasn't able to exploit the Panthers weaknesses. The Texans continue to run outside, but cannot seal the edge. I don't blame the Texans for trying to establish the run. Just find a way to seal the edge if you do.

Still, the Texans were in position to seal this game in the 4th quarter. The Texans defense sacked Young twice on a 3 and out. Dell had a 20 yard punt return to midfield. The Texans had a makable 3rd and 5 at the Panthers 35, but were flagged for delay of game. The TV analyst, Robert Smith, made an excellent point regarding all of the pre play shifting and motion. Sometimes you just need to snap the ball and make a play. A field goal there would have forced the Panthers to get a TD. Changed the complexion of the rest of the game.

The two back to back penalties by the defense on the last drive dug the Panthers out of bad field position. And getting a stop on 4th down would have given the Texans another opportunity to put the game away. 4 plays in the 4th quarter were the difference. Cleaning this up and making those 4th quarter plays will come with experience.

All true. And these 4th quarter mistakes were built upon the mistakes of the previous three quarters. Deflected passes, missing Nico downfield, a bad throw to Noah Brown. Stroud had an off day, which is a tad troubling coming out of a bye. Looking forward to next Sunday.

On one play where Pierce failed to punch it into the EZ, Beck totally missed the edge block. Beck has had a lot of brain lapses, but the edge blocking on runs has been bad as you pointed out. Last season, pitching outside to Pierce resulted in big plays. Now it's almost always a TFL.

Has anyone said why there was a delay in that play calling snap? There were more than one play where the clock came close to running out on Stroud.

meh......the Texans are right on schedule to meet or exceed my prediction of 5-7 wins this year. I'm good with that.

I listened carefully to Sroud’s answer to someone’s question regarding the batted balls in the post game NC. He mentioned the “short stuff”. I got the inkling he doesn’t care much about throwing short passes because that’s what leads to batted balls. I also came away with the feeling that Stroud wants to throw more deep shots.

I listened carefully to Sroud’s answer to someone’s question regarding the batted balls in the post game NC. He mentioned the “short stuff”. I got the inkling he doesn’t care much about throwing short passes because that’s what leads to batted balls. I also came away with the feeling that Stroud wants to throw more deep shots.
I agree and why I think it was a challenge to his coordinator. At least it was done in a respectful way.

Even Patrick Mahomes had a bad game this past Sunday. Does that mean it’s a tad bit troubling for him and the Chiefs?
Na, Mahomes is a proven stud. I would chalk that up to just a bad/off day. He rarely has bad games.
(Which is hard to as KC always seems to have stacked rosters since before Mahomes came into the league)

Isn't the WCO based on using the short passing game as an extension of the run game?
According to Kyle Shanahan, he doesn't run the WCO.

"'I don't run the freaking West Coast Offense,' Shanahan explained, except he didn't use the word, 'freaking.' He used a different word we can't print.

Shanahan could have been more diplomatic, but he didn't lie. He corrected the biggest misconception about him and the current 49ers offense.

Shanahan has zero connection to Walsh. Shanahan runs his father's offense. And his father, Mike Shanahan, also has zero connection to Walsh. Never coached for him. Mike Shanahan sees himself as an innovator like Walsh, who created his own offense. And Kyle Shanahan sees himself as the leader of the second generation of his father's disciples."

"At its heart, the West Coast Offense is a conservative, ball-control offense. Walsh called a series of short and intermediate passes which he considered 'extended handoffs.' He used these to maintain possession, take time off the clock and set up running plays for the second half. Of course, Walsh called the occasional deep pass, but, for the most part, it was a conservative offense.

The Shanahan Offense is completely opposite. It's an aggressive, big-play offense which features running plays that set up deep play-action passes."

Grant Cohn: Defining Kyle Shanahan's offense

"'I don't run the freaking West Coast Offense,' Shanahan explained, except he didn't use the word, 'freaking.' He used a different word we can't print.

Shanahan could have been more diplomatic, but he didn't lie. He corrected the biggest misconception about him and the current 49ers offense.

Shanahan has zero connection to Walsh. Shanahan runs his father's offense. And his father, Mike Shanahan, also has zero connection to Walsh. Never coached for him. Mike Shanahan sees himself as an innovator like Walsh, who created his own offense. And Kyle Shanahan sees himself as the leader of the second generation of his father's disciples."

"At its heart, the West Coast Offense is a conservative, ball-control offense. Walsh called a series of short and intermediate passes which he considered 'extended handoffs.' He used these to maintain possession, take time off the clock and set up running plays for the second half. Of course, Walsh called the occasional deep pass, but, for the most part, it was a conservative offense.

The Shanahan Offense is completely opposite. It's an aggressive, big-play offense which features running plays that set up deep play-action passes."

Someone tell Slowick Dell isn’t Samuels either. 🤣

He runs an updated version of what his dad and Kubiak did. He can call it whatever he wants to call it.

Na, Mahomes is a proven stud. I would chalk that up to just a bad/off day. He rarely has bad games.
(Which is hard to as KC always seems to have stacked rosters since before Mahomes came into the league)
Every player has those type of days proven or not. It shouldn’t be a concern right now. That’s what you call overreaction.

Every player has those type of days proven or not. It shouldn’t be a concern right now. That’s what you call overreaction.
The Texans last 3 games they've scored 19, 20, 13 points. Some of that's on play calling, some of that's on Stroud and some of that's on needing better skill position talent.

The writer needs to do better homeworks.

Mike Shanahan was with George Seifert and the Niners for 3 years, running the WCO.

The writer needs to do better homeworks.

Mike Shanahan was with George Seifert and the Niners for 3 years, running the WCO.

Wait a minute. What are you arguing? In the article, the writer mentioned Shanahan worked with the 49ers and had the following paragraph.

"Mike Shanahan began developing his offense during the mid-1980s when he was the Denver Broncos' offensive coordinator. In 1992, he took his offense to the 49ers and became their offensive coordinator. He stayed three seasons and won a Super Bowl in 1995. He was very good. And his son, Kyle, following his footsteps, may turn out equally as good.

After the Super Bowl, Mike Shanahan left the 49ers and became the head coach of the Broncos. When he left the 49ers, the late Dwight Clark told my dad, 'Nothing against Mike, but he didn't do what we do. We need to get back to our roots.'"

Wait a minute. What are you arguing? In the article, the writer mentioned Shanahan worked with the 49ers and had the following paragraph.

"Mike Shanahan began developing his offense during the mid-1980s when he was the Denver Broncos' offensive coordinator. In 1992, he took his offense to the 49ers and became their offensive coordinator. He stayed three seasons and won a Super Bowl in 1995. He was very good. And his son, Kyle, following his footsteps, may turn out equally as good.

After the Super Bowl, Mike Shanahan left the 49ers and became the head coach of the Broncos. When he left the 49ers, the late Dwight Clark told my dad, 'Nothing against Mike, but he didn't do what we do. We need to get back to our roots.'"

No mention of Shanny's time in Oakland.

I didn't say that the offense that Mike Shanahan and Gary Kubiak ran was the classic WCO.

It was still classified as the WCO for the longest time, even after Mike left the Niners to become the HC of the Broncos, with Kubiak as the OC.

What we saw with Kubiak, we still called it the WCO, but it was never the classic WCO that Walsh ran.

The playbook was called the WCO for the longest time.

Back